University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 am

Aldenita wrote:UNM just called to offer me $7500 for the first year. What am I going to do now???


Congratulations!!!

Compare your experience to the others you had, add up the total costs, and make a decision. Hell, you might even be able to get in state from the start if you play it right.

ETA: Sounds like you feel ASU might be a better choice for you. If so, go with it. :D

retiree
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby retiree » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Aldenita wrote:Actually, I am a big fan of margaritas and that may be just enough to tip the scales :lol:



Actually, I should have clarified my offhand comment, since I see that it can be read another way. The only decent Margarita in ABQ is the one I make in my own kitchen. I am so picky when it comes to that drink, and the recipe I use is from my sister in Houston.

It was Rudyard Kipling (I think) who said, "It is not enough that you write to be understood, you need to write so as to not be misunderstood." My error.

kc0iet
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby kc0iet » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi All - I have been lurking here for many months and finally decided to join in.

I applied to UNM as I lived there for about ten years but had to return to Missouri when my Father passed away. I did so with the intentions of talking my Mother into moving back to ABQ with me. That was in 1993!! I have been stuck here ever since :cry:

My only son lives in Otero county and I recently learned that I am going to be a grandma in Sept.! UNM is my first choice, but I know I have a snowballs chance. My UGA was all it could be with LSAC's calculation of 3.89 but my LSAT score is too deplorable to mention. I applied to UNM in January. My status has shown 'application complete' since 2/3/2011. With not getting my expected rejection letter for so long, I have moments of 'what if' thinking! I have had seven major spine surgeries since 2004 and the weather here in Missouri is killing me. The climate in NM is literally, just what the doctor has ordered. I am moving back there, but I would get there much sooner if I could be accepted 8) .

Congrats to all of you that have made it in!

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:50 pm

kc0iet wrote:Hi All - I have been lurking here for many months and finally decided to join in.

I applied to UNM as I lived there for about ten years but had to return to Missouri when my Father passed away. I did so with the intentions of talking my Mother into moving back to ABQ with me. That was in 1993!! I have been stuck here ever since :cry:

My only son lives in Otero county and I recently learned that I am going to be a grandma in Sept.! UNM is my first choice, but I know I have a snowballs chance. My UGA was all it could be with LSAC's calculation of 3.89 but my LSAT score is too deplorable to mention. I applied to UNM in January. My status has shown 'application complete' since 2/3/2011. With not getting my expected rejection letter for so long, I have moments of 'what if' thinking! I have had seven major spine surgeries since 2004 and the weather here in Missouri is killing me. The climate in NM is literally, just what the doctor has ordered. I am moving back there, but I would get there much sooner if I could be accepted 8) .

Congrats to all of you that have made it in!


I really hope you can make it.

If you have been reading the thread you will notice that next week some of the people being held will start to get in, and even more by April 30th per nstiver.

Good job on the GPA! I really want to know, though, how bad your LSAT is. It would really help us make a prediction for you one way or the other. Also, are you URM?

Also, have you considered studying using Powerscore bibles and retaking if you don't make it in this year? You still have almost two months to study, which is plenty of time to raise your score 5-10 points (especially if logic games was your weakness).

mavalon
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby mavalon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Hmmm. Firemed, I've been listening to you for a while and I can't quite figure out why you're so fascinated by other folk's numbers. I dunno, maybe it' just me....but it seems a little intrusive.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:24 pm

mavalon wrote:Hmmm. Firemed, I've been listening to you for a while and I can't quite figure out why you're so fascinated by other folk's numbers. I dunno, maybe it' just me....but it seems a little intrusive.


So don't give them. You don't want to give numbers, don't. I don't care. I am on here for my entertainment, and to help others the way I was helped on TLS. I am not on here to find out the numbers of my future classmates for any other reason. I could care less if she got a 125. I have no belief that LSAT score or GPA determines in any way what kind of person you are. I just hope that I can help the person who posted. Many people say that they have an abysmal score, especially here on TLS, when they actually don't. I was hoping to offer reassurance.

Also, let me say that numbers are THE BASIS of law school admissions. While UNM does care about personal statement WAY MORE than 95% of the schools out there... and the in-state/out-of-state thing is important... Your numbers are going to make the single LARGEST difference out there. So I offered to give an opinion if that person wanted to offer the numbers. They don't, they don't have to.

This is your first post? Really? I smell a troll. If so, go away.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 pm

In my opinion, FireMed's question was relevant to the other poster's concern regarding chances for admission to UNM School of Law. What one considers a "deplorable" LSAT score is relative & may not doom one's application--especially with such a high GPA. Many posters find any LSAT score below a 170 to be deplorable when focusing on Top 10 law schools, while others strive to get a 160 or higher for regional law schools.

kc0iet
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby kc0iet » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 pm

firemed wrote:
kc0iet wrote:Hi All - I have been lurking here for many months and finally decided to join in.

I applied to UNM as I lived there for about ten years but had to return to Missouri when my Father passed away. I did so with the intentions of talking my Mother into moving back to ABQ with me. That was in 1993!! I have been stuck here ever since :cry:

My only son lives in Otero county and I recently learned that I am going to be a grandma in Sept.! UNM is my first choice, but I know I have a snowballs chance. My UGA was all it could be with LSAC's calculation of 3.89 but my LSAT score is too deplorable to mention. I applied to UNM in January. My status has shown 'application complete' since 2/3/2011. With not getting my expected rejection letter for so long, I have moments of 'what if' thinking! I have had seven major spine surgeries since 2004 and the weather here in Missouri is killing me. The climate in NM is literally, just what the doctor has ordered. I am moving back there, but I would get there much sooner if I could be accepted 8) .

Congrats to all of you that have made it in!


I really hope you can make it.

If you have been reading the thread you will notice that next week some of the people being held will start to get in, and even more by April 30th per nstiver.

Good job on the GPA! I really want to know, though, how bad your LSAT is. It would really help us make a prediction for you one way or the other. Also, are you URM?

Also, have you considered studying using Powerscore bibles and retaking if you don't make it in this year? You still have almost two months to study, which is plenty of time to raise your score 5-10 points (especially if logic games was your weakness).



OK Firemed, I will shamefully admit that my LSAT was 147. I know, it's deplorable, I think I already said that LOL. I did all I could do with the UGA. I did a few credit hours in the 80's and had ONE course that was not an 'A'. Every other class I have taken in the 80's and the 00's were 'A' and most 94 - 100 A's so I'm not sure how LSAC determines their GPA's, but at any rate, I did all I could there, but the LSAT was the first standardized test I had taken since the 80's and I didn't do any better now than then!

I have one offer for admit to TSU and an offer for Summer Law Screening at USD (that's South Dakota, not San Diego), but I've been reading such discouraging posts on TSU. I just don't know...

The out of state tuition at UNM may be more than I can do even if I were to get in. Honestly, I expected to get a denied a long time ago from UNM. The fact that my status checker still says application complete (since 2/3) makes me wonder. UNM is without question my first choice, but I was questioning if I could do it before I read about the 7% increase.

I have considered NM my home always. I have missed it every single day since I left on 2/5/1993! - I'm not getting any younger! I would really hate to put off starting law school another year. At this point I am strongly considering going with TSU and praying for a transfer for 2L.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 pm

kc0iet wrote:

OK Firemed, I will shamefully admit that my LSAT was 147. I know, it's deplorable, I think I already said that LOL. I did all I could do with the UGA. I did a few credit hours in the 80's and had ONE course that was not an 'A'. Every other class I have taken in the 80's and the 00's were 'A' and most 94 - 100 A's so I'm not sure how LSAC determines their GPA's, but at any rate, I did all I could there, but the LSAT was the first standardized test I had taken since the 80's and I didn't do any better now than then!

I have one offer for admit to TSU and an offer for Summer Law Screening at USD (that's South Dakota, not San Diego), but I've been reading such discouraging posts on TSU. I just don't know...

The out of state tuition at UNM may be more than I can do even if I were to get in. Honestly, I expected to get a denied a long time ago from UNM. The fact that my status checker still says application complete (since 2/3) makes me wonder. UNM is without question my first choice, but I was questioning if I could do it before I read about the 7% increase.

I have considered NM my home always. I have missed it every single day since I left on 2/5/1993! - I'm not getting any younger! I would really hate to put off starting law school another year. At this point I am strongly considering going with TSU and praying for a transfer for 2L.


147 is bad, but it isn't the end of the world. You haven't been denied, so there is still hope. Obviously your GPA and softs have made you someone they consider. And they have let in people with lower LSATs than you in the past. So don't give up hope yet.

Let me address four points:

1) Tuition: This might not be as big an issue if you consider that after the first year you will have in-state. This will make it cheaper than many other schools that offer small scholarships. When you pay $14K per year for your last two, it isn't that bad.

2) You cannot count on a transfer. Consider that you would need to be at least top third to transfer. Given that law school is on an enforced curve, this means a 66% chance you WON'T make it. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

3) I too have heard bad things about TSU, FWIW.

4) Seriously consider retaking if you don't get in this year. I know that is the cliche advice on TLS, but it is sometimes good advice. The LSAT is a learnable test. Your GPA shows you know how to work. Consider this scenario: Get the Powerscore Bibles. They will help you with timing, and identifying your weaknesses. Their Logic Games Bible alone helped me score 5 points higher on the LSAT than my first timed test at home. 5-10 point increases are well documented using the bibles combined with two to three practice tests a week under realistic (and timed) conditions... and some people report as high as 20 point increases. By October you will probably be ready to score a 155-160 (or higher). With your GPA that gives you a good chance at UNM. Also, if you moved to the state before then, IMO, you would be a shoe-in with the in-state boost.


Good luck! I really hope this is all pointless for me to post, and that I will see you next year!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:12 pm

A 3.89 GPA may be enough. A taped lecture by a former Minnesota law dean speaking as a law professor at Virginia explained that law schools are free to do whatever they want scorewise with those in the bottom 25% of LSAT scores for any law school since it really doesn't matter how far below the median your score is. Furthermore, your high GPA is well above New Mexico's median GPA which makes you a desirable student as does non-resident tuition for one year.
Probably best to pass on Texas Southern if you are not willing to spend three years there.
If New Mexico's yield is lower than normal, you should expect good news, in my opinion.

P.S. Indiana & Minnesota seem to be in need of students with high GPAs & are, accordingly, admitting reverse-splitters from their applicant pools. A gpa of 3.89 & an LSAT of 147 qualifies as a reverse splitter at New Mexico as well as at Indiana & Minnesota.

kc0iet
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby kc0iet » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:A 3.89 GPA may be enough. A taped lecture by a former Minnesota law dean speaking as a law professor at Virginia explained that law schools are free to do whatever they want scorewise with those in the bottom 25% of LSAT scores for any law school since it really doesn't matter how far below the median your score is. Furthermore, your high GPA is well above New Mexico's median GPA which makes you a desirable student as does non-resident tuition for one year.
Probably best to pass on Texas Southern if you are not willing to spend three years there.
If New Mexico's yield is lower than normal, you should expect good news, in my opinion.

P.S. Indiana & Minnesota seem to be in need of students with high GPAs & are, accordingly, admitting reverse-splitters from their applicant pools. A gpa of 3.89 & an LSAT of 147 qualifies as a reverse splitter at New Mexico as well as at Indiana & Minnesota.


Thanks for the hope Canadian! I'm still not sure if I should bite at north of $30K - but it would be very heart wrenching for me to say no to UNM. They are the only school that I have not yet heard from so my choices are pretty much black and white now.

For me, to complicate things further, I have Voc Rehab funding. If I apply for residency in any other state I loose my Missouri VR funds! I have already contacted NM DVR and they say they are currently freezing all VR funds (not taking any new clients). So, if (when) I go to school out of state, I will have to maintain my Missouri residency if I want VR funds.

I suppose if I had to, I would stay at TSU for all three years :-(

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:14 am

kc0iet wrote:
Thanks for the hope Canadian! I'm still not sure if I should bite at north of $30K - but it would be very heart wrenching for me to say no to UNM. They are the only school that I have not yet heard from so my choices are pretty much black and white now.

For me, to complicate things further, I have Voc Rehab funding. If I apply for residency in any other state I loose my Missouri VR funds! I have already contacted NM DVR and they say they are currently freezing all VR funds (not taking any new clients). So, if (when) I go to school out of state, I will have to maintain my Missouri residency if I want VR funds.

I suppose if I had to, I would stay at TSU for all three years :-(



So take the Missouri VR for the first year... and then take the lower tuition and low cost of living for the last two if you get into UNM.

Some bad news (with the disclaimer that all of the following is entirely my very liberal opinion)... don't expect NM DVR to take new apps anytime soon. Republican governor recently elected. Expect social programs that aren't popular with the elderly to be raped, gutted, and left to die in the wilderness whenever no one who "matters" is looking.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby nStiver » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:51 pm

You know, 147 is only a few points beneath the 50th percentile, so its not like it is THAT bad. My diagnostic was a 147. Anyhow, as Firemed said, I think you and I will start to see the accept/reject letters coming down the pike now that the deposits have gone in.

jeffreymabq
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby jeffreymabq » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:55 am

Bad is relative to your address. I think, as a Non-Resident, a 147 will be a bit of a struggle to get in. However, sounds like you have some great life experiences, and you easily may have one of the best personal statements out there (which also weigh a lot).

I am definitely pulling for you, but offering a little perspective. While a challenge, your best bet may be to move here, and then try again in the next cycle. That also gives you a year to try pester for some VR money.

Good luck!

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby nStiver » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 pm

UNM likes unique backgrounds. You know, if you have to re apply, move to NM and study the crap out of the LSAT. I know you can bring it up.

retiree
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby retiree » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 pm

In yesterday's [i]Business Outlook[i] section of Monday's ABQ Journal, p. 2, Judge Alan Malott answered a question from a parent whose son is considering law school, and who was wondering whether that was a good choice for a professional career.

The judge mentioned the (bad) reputation that big law firms have acquired--with their emphasis on image and profit over good counsel and fair dealing. He said that "future lawyers face...fewer traditional career opportunities and very daunting law school costs." He noted that l.s. applications (in general) this year are down 12 percent, and 44,000 new law degrees will be granted this spring (perhaps a subtle hint that the job market could be glutted--which some experts already say it is). His comment that deserves attention is: "...jobs are scarce now...especially if you want to remain in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area."

Another factor he noted that has impacted the job market: "Budget cuts in both the public and private sector, as well as computer programs and research services outsourced from the same neighborhood as your computer tech support, have also impacted the market for new graduates. I think that is a polite way of saying that Congress needs to do something about all the American jobs that are getting outsourced to foreign countries. He went on to expound on the value of the JD education, despite the difficult job market, and that graduates are moving toward alternative careers that use that training.

Everyone has read about how high the employment percentage is for new UNM l.s. grads. Obviously, one needs to define what constitutes a high graduate placement rate. One thing most people can agree on, though, is that the good ol' days are over. And that does not just apply to getting an education.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 pm

What are the "alternative careers" ?

jeffreymabq
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:42 pm

A few alternative careers I can think of:
- Because of the writing requirements, and it IS a doctorate, most universities consider a Juris Doctorate a Ph.D. equivalent.
- I have already been approached about combining my MBA (finance) and JD to add estate planning and trust development to the in-house services a fund manager I know can offer.
- Politics (what else do law school graduates who don't practice law do? (Clinton, and Obama come to mind - Bush applied to, and was rejected from law school).

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What are the "alternative careers" ?


"Would you like fries with that?"

retiree
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby retiree » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:54 pm

firemed wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:What are the "alternative careers" ?


"Would you like fries with that?"


Oh, that's funny, firemed. The article mentioned banking, real estate (is that any better than the lack of jobs at law firms?), business (mentioned above) and public management and even education.

There are lawyers who have never practiced law, but teach in law school and paralegal programs. Some courses I can see would be okay for that, such as teaching legal research and perhaps legal writing. I sure would not want a surgeon, even if one had taught in med school for 20 years, do his/her first surgery on me, that's for sure. The dynamics of the classroom come from both the instructor and the students. And since one assumes the students have had no experience, you sure hope the professor has.

kc0iet
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby kc0iet » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Well - my status finally says Decision Rendered April 19th - I guess I'll be getting something in the mail soon :)

retiree
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby retiree » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:46 pm

kc0iet wrote:Well - my status finally says Decision Rendered April 19th - I guess I'll be getting something in the mail soon :)


Well, you know that New Mexico gives new meaning to mañana. :wink:

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:24 am

kc0iet wrote:Well - my status finally says Decision Rendered April 19th - I guess I'll be getting something in the mail soon :)



I hope it is good news. Waiting the next 3-7 days is going to be brutal. I know, because I did it too. Good luck!

retiree
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby retiree » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:36 am

Saw an ad for an attorney in the Sunday Journal, and sure hope it is not a harbinger of the future ABQ job market for law school grads:

Bankruptcy/Foreclosure $3000/month negotiable/flexible

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 am

retiree wrote:Saw an ad for an attorney in the Sunday Journal, and sure hope it is not a harbinger of the future ABQ job market for law school grads:

Bankruptcy/Foreclosure $3000/month negotiable/flexible



Um... you aren't helping. :shock: Seriously though... you keep putting up these things that make me question my decision! Stop it! :D

Besides... if you read ATL you can totes see how this isn't just Albuquerque. Their craigslist ads are hilarious.

Let's just hope the economy improves.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”