University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jeffreymabq

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby jeffreymabq » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:33 am

From this week's President Schmidly Monday Message:

<SNIP!>
The Regents Finance and Facilities committee take the budget process one step further this morning as they look at the latest iterations of the UNM budget. What the regents committee will do is consider tuition and fees. If you recall from the Budget Summit, Regents President Jack Fortner was clear in his directive for us to go back and craft a budget that would cost students no more than a 6 percent increase in tuition, and preferably less than that amount. The full board votes on tuition and fees tomorrow.
<SNIP!>

So, we shall know tomorrow.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 am

I think I'm going to withdraw. No love for those of us out of state.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Aldenita wrote:I think I'm going to withdraw. No love for those of us out of state.

Sorry Aldenita. It was fun hanging with you.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:18 pm

jeffreymabq wrote:From this week's President Schmidly Monday Message:

<SNIP!>
The Regents Finance and Facilities committee take the budget process one step further this morning as they look at the latest iterations of the UNM budget. What the regents committee will do is consider tuition and fees. If you recall from the Budget Summit, Regents President Jack Fortner was clear in his directive for us to go back and craft a budget that would cost students no more than a 6 percent increase in tuition, and preferably less than that amount. The full board votes on tuition and fees tomorrow.
<SNIP!>

So, we shall know tomorrow.

Okay, let's start the betting. Call your number between 0.0 and 6.0. I'll take a 5.5% increase for my bet. Person furthest from the actual increase buys everybody coffee or beers, depending on their preference!

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Not so fast, remember that 1.75% of that tuition increase was to cover faculty's increased contributions to the ERB, which the Governor has since said is not kosher.

I say 4.8 - 5.0. I think Chalmers (President of Board of Regents) said they would not approve a budget with a tuition increase greater than 5% - so 5.5 may be too high right out of the chute. Although the conspiracy theory in me says even it will be even lower, with a huge increase in student fees instead.

Side note - 1L class schedules are posted if anyone wants an idea of when/what day classes will be next year.

Jeff

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:07 pm

jeffreymabq wrote:Not so fast, remember that 1.75% of that tuition increase was to cover faculty's increased contributions to the ERB, which the Governor has since said is not kosher.

I say 4.8 - 5.0. I think Chalmers (President of Board of Regents) said they would not approve a budget with a tuition increase greater than 5% - so 5.5 may be too high right out of the chute. Although the conspiracy theory in me says even it will be even lower, with a huge increase in student fees instead.

Side note - 1L class schedules are posted if anyone wants an idea of when/what day classes will be next year.

Jeff

First off, where are they posted?

Second, I read this afternoon that they are talking about a $40 raise in fees and a 7% increase right now. Who knows, though.

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Schedules -
http://lawschool.unm.edu/academics/curr ... s/fall.php

Story on KOAT reports 6.3% increase will be requested tomorrow.
--LinkRemoved--

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:33 pm

wow, lets see what happens!

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 pm

firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:I think I'm going to withdraw. No love for those of us out of state.

I know :(. If it helps, the Dean at ASU is a UT alum and I really fell in love with the school. 11 clinics!!!

retiree

Postby retiree » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Aldenita wrote:
firemed wrote:

I know :(. If it helps, the Dean at ASU is a UT alum and I really fell in love with the school. 11 clinics!!!

Wow--11 clinics! Amazing. I also read (I have a niece who graduated from there) that once the basic 1L courses are out of the way, the student has at least 140 electives to choose from to make up the 88-credit requirement. Thus, a person who has already decided what they want to do after they initially become a lawyer can truly specialize to get that knowledge. Wonderful! The student-teacher ratio is 10 to 1 (the same as UNM's, I believe). Wonder how many electives a UNM student has to choose from and what percentage those electives comprise of their 3 years?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:19 pm

ASU is 9.5 to 1, while UNM is 12.3 to 1.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

retiree wrote:
Aldenita wrote:
firemed wrote:

Wow--11 clinics! Amazing. I also read (I have a niece who graduated from there) that once the basic 1L courses are out of the way, the student has at least 140 electives to choose from to make up the 88-credit requirement. Thus, a person who has already decided what they want to do after they initially become a lawyer can truly specialize to get that knowledge. Wonderful! The student-teacher ratio is 10 to 1 (the same as UNM's, I believe). Wonder how many electives a UNM student has to choose from and what percentage those electives comprise of their 3 years?

60-80 electives (I can't recall off hand) and they make up 85% of the available classes for years 2 and 3. As a note a lawyer friend of mine said that specializing while in school can definitely give you a hand up if you do it right.

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Tuition increase - 7.0%

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:45 pm

jeffreymabq wrote:Tuition increase - 7.0%

:evil: :evil: :evil:

This means we'll be paying $14,800 next year if I did the math right.

Hopefully they won't do this again next year and we won't have to be even more upset. :cry:

On the other hand, you owe me coffee or beer. :mrgreen: I was closer by 1.5%. :mrgreen:

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:20 pm

7% is a lot! Esp for out of state.

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 pm

It is what is - I think 7% for out-of-state puts in on par with SMU in-state, and cheaper than Baylor. Even U of A is over $20,000 IN-STATE. And, Colorado is almost $30K/yr. And, I would bet those colleges still have increases coming this year as well.

I am not happy about it, but it is relatively inexpensive. And, to address LoBlow's comments earlier as well, while my job prospects may not be better than at SMU or Colorado, I am pretty sure that, with less than $50K in student loan debt (not even counting scholarships that I have or may receive) - I will not have to worry about it. My old roommate is graduating from CU Boulder this year, with over $175K in loans - now that guy needs to stress how much he is going to make next year!

As to beer/coffee - Name a time and place - you live on the westside as well, so maybe Turtle Mountain sometime soon. They have Amnesia back right now (and if you haven't had that - you NEED to).

Jeff

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 pm

firemed wrote:

Not exactly, I have not seen the actual resolution, but it is my understanding it is 7% on tuition, but no other increases. So, the NET increase will be 5.5% of total tuition and fees. As KOAT explains it:

The University of New Mexico Board of Regents voted Tuesday to raise tuition by 7 percent, but the school will not raise student fees.
A student's overall attendance cost will be about 5.5 percent...higher

So, my math is coming up at $14,400 or so - that's the difference between Village Inn and Starbucks for your free coffee - LOL.

retiree

Postby retiree » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:04 pm

jeffreymabq wrote:
firemed wrote:

Not exactly, I have not seen the actual resolution, but it is my understanding it is 7% on tuition, but no other increases. So, the NET increase will be 5.5% of total tuition and fees. As KOAT explains it:

The University of New Mexico Board of Regents voted Tuesday to raise tuition by 7 percent, but the school will not raise student fees.

So, my math is coming up at $14,400 or so - that's the difference between Village Inn and Starbucks for your free coffee - LOL.

If you are near a TV set right now (5:00 pm), turn on Ch. 13 here in ABQ and watch the CBS Evening News. They are going to have a segment on: "The Downside of College--Years of Student Debt." I just heard it.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:44 pm

retiree wrote:
jeffreymabq wrote:
firemed wrote:

If you are near a TV set right now (5:00 pm), turn on Ch. 13 here in ABQ and watch the CBS Evening News. They are going to have a segment on: "The Downside of College--Years of Student Debt." I just heard it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only 15 years behind the times. I noticed this when I entered UG the first time. It is part of the reason I chose UNM. U of M wanted $20K a year at the time, way more than UNMs $3K.

As for the $400 difference... I LOL sarcastically. Merf.

You are right that this is still a way better deal than almost any other school I got into after cost of living and tuition are added together. Still, I can't help but wish it was cheaper. Que sera, sera... right?

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 pm

As to the $400 - I just wanted to make it clear the difference is due to my poor reporting.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:41 pm

UNM just called to offer me $7500 for the first year. What am I going to do now???

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Depends on your reason or reasons for temporarily taking them off of your list in favor of ASU.
According to your earlier posts you have attended several accepted students day events at various law schools. How does UNM compare to the others in terms of students, facilities, etc.?

P.S. Congratulations !

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:13 am

UNM had the most formal reception. It was nice, but I felt a little out of place. It seemed to be such a big rah rah for New Mexico residents and I was a lot younger that almost everyone that I spoke to. I thought the facilities were pretty average. They kind of reminded me of the law school at Texas Tech. As far as the Appeals Court being next door, ASU has a large court room in which the AZ Supreme Court holds oral arguments. ASU has much nicer facilities and overall, I felt much more at home. The second I got there, the Dean came up to me and greeted me. She knew where I went to college and high school and introduced me to people who are from my hometown and who went to my undergrad. ASU just seems like it has so much to offer for someone who isn't completely sure what area in which they are interested. Both ASU and UNM have upped their offers to me, so I really appreciate that both are going out of their way to make me feel wanted.

retiree

Postby retiree » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 am

Aldenita wrote:UNM had the most formal reception. It was nice, but I felt a little out of place. It seemed to be such a big rah rah for New Mexico residents and I was a lot younger that almost everyone that I spoke to. I thought the facilities were pretty average. They kind of reminded me of the law school at Texas Tech. As far as the Appeals Court being next door, ASU has a large court room in which the AZ Supreme Court holds oral arguments. ASU has much nicer facilities and overall, I felt much more at home. The second I got there, the Dean came up to me and greeted me. She knew where I went to college and high school and introduced me to people who are from my hometown and who went to my undergrad. ASU just seems like it has so much to offer for someone who isn't completely sure what area in which they are interested. Both ASU and UNM have upped their offers to me, so I really appreciate that both are going out of their way to make me feel wanted.

Sounds like your strong inclination is with ASU. Go for it! (Just know that I have found only one restaurant in the PHX area that makes a decent Margarita, not that a great Margarita is one of the decision factors! :D

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:49 am

Actually, I am a big fan of margaritas and that may be just enough to tip the scales :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”