University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Longhorn1117

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby Longhorn1117 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:44 pm

So New Mexico is probably my number one choice for law school but I'm concerned about getting in. I am a NM resident and I have a 3.79 UGPA and I will have a M.A. in May, but my LSAT is pretty poor, 154. How do ya'll feel about my chances?

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Longhorn1117 wrote:So New Mexico is probably my number one choice for law school but I'm concerned about getting in. I am a NM resident and I have a 3.79 UGPA and I will have a M.A. in May, but my LSAT is pretty poor, 154. How do ya'll feel about my chances?

Your LSAT is above the 25th percentile and your GPA is above the 75th percentile, so I think you have a good shot. I'm not an adcom though. I'm hoping your username means you went/go to UT also. Hook 'em!

Longhorn1117

Postby Longhorn1117 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:01 pm

Aldenita wrote:
Longhorn1117 wrote:So New Mexico is probably my number one choice for law school but I'm concerned about getting in. I am a NM resident and I have a 3.79 UGPA and I will have a M.A. in May, but my LSAT is pretty poor, 154. How do ya'll feel about my chances?

Your LSAT is above the 25th percentile and your GPA is above the 75th percentile, so I think you have a good shot. I'm not an adcom though. I'm hoping your username means you went/go to UT also. Hook 'em!

Ya I did go to UT. I graduated a few years back. Good to hear from you. Are you looking pretty seriously at UNM?

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Longhorn1117 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:

Ya I did go to UT. I graduated a few years back. Good to hear from you. Are you looking pretty seriously at UNM?

I like UNM a lot. I didn't realize they were so skeptical about out of state applicants though. I guess I can only wait and see what they say. Where else are you looking?

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:51 am

I have a feeling that someone with over a 160 and good gpa has a very good chance of getting into UNM. I honestly don't know how bad they discriminate against out of staters, but who knows. An admissions officer there told me (a few years ago) that they admit 2 out of every 3 applicants they get from in state. That sounds pretty good for in staters, I don't know if it still holds true though. I mean, their 75th was 159 last year.

I just know that if I don't get in, it will be because of my GPA in the 2's. I hope I get in, I mean I know a guy with a 152 and a gpa in the mid 2's that got in, and no offense to the gentleman but he is not that smart, at least not from my interactions with him. But thats the thing about being an adcom, you cant see the person, only the numbers and the statement.

Firemedic, that would be awesome man I look forward to that beer too. If I get in, I will have a beer in celebration; if not, I will have a beer in desperation. I really hope that I don't get rejected. I'm not getting any younger and it would suck to study for months to retake the LSAT, not to mention all the work that goes into making another personal statement, letters of rec.

I have some hispanic folks in my family, but I would just have felt dishonest claiming that I was an URM. I consider myself a white guy. I know that this can be a handicap at UNM.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 am

Also, medic, do you know how to check your admission status at the UNM website? It asks for a user name and password, which I certainly do not have. The UNM people are slow to get back to me through email about this.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:43 am

nStiver wrote:Also, medic, do you know how to check your admission status at the UNM website? It asks for a user name and password, which I certainly do not have. The UNM people are slow to get back to me through email about this.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went from complete to decision rendered with no intervening status.... and on top of that I cannot log in to the admitted student thingie despite having a letter which states I am accepted.

Ah, New Mexico... how I love your punctuality and drive....

ETA: if you are talking about status checker... they will eventually (like, sometime in the next 2-3 weeks) send you a status checker password and such...
Last edited by firemed on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:44 am

NM resident plus scores which average out to above median... my opinion = autoadmit.
Last edited by firemed on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:46 am

nStiver wrote:I just know that if I don't get in, it will be because of my GPA in the 2's. I hope I get in, I mean I know a guy with a 152 and a gpa in the mid 2's that got in, and no offense to the gentleman but he is not that smart, at least not from my interactions with him.

So, it sounds like you are in then, yes?

nStiver wrote:Firemedic, that would be awesome man I look forward to that beer too. If I get in, I will have a beer in celebration; if not, I will have a beer in desperation.

Beer it is then. Send PM.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:39 pm

I am currently an undergrad at UNM, took my LSAT at the law school, and thought about applying. You guys are missing a couple of things:
1 Race is HUGE to UNM. UNM is consistently in the top 5 for native/hispanic everything, and they want to keep it that way. The URM boost as it is traditionally construed does not apply, although I'm sure other races do get a boost UNM is positively obsessed with keeping its native/hispanic ratings.
2 UNM's niche is in the Albuquerque legal market, and the reason why there are so few data points on LSN or here is because a lot of kids in Albuquerque go to high school, UNM for undergrad, and UNM Law without applying anywhere else. In other cases, wealthier kids go to expensive and prestigious schools while their wealthy parents stay in ABQ and still have the connections to set up summer jobs and internships. Thus, when they graduate both sets of kids have work experience in ABQ, connections in ABQ etc.
UNM knows it's not going to be ranked highly any time soon, so its bread and butter are these 2 niches. How would an out of state white applicant with ok numbers help either of these two goals better than a lifer of one of their preferred races? The campus is surprisingly nice, the food in ABQ is spectacular, and graduating will give you a pretty good in for the ABQ legal market. Good luck.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:11 pm

andythefir wrote:I am currently an undergrad at UNM, took my LSAT at the law school, and thought about applying. You guys are missing a couple of things:
1 Race is HUGE to UNM. UNM is consistently in the top 5 for native/hispanic everything, and they want to keep it that way. The URM boost as it is traditionally construed does not apply, although I'm sure other races do get a boost UNM is positively obsessed with keeping its native/hispanic ratings.
2 UNM's niche is in the Albuquerque legal market, and the reason why there are so few data points on LSN or here is because a lot of kids in Albuquerque go to high school, UNM for undergrad, and UNM Law without applying anywhere else. In other cases, wealthier kids go to expensive and prestigious schools while their wealthy parents stay in ABQ and still have the connections to set up summer jobs and internships. Thus, when they graduate both sets of kids have work experience in ABQ, connections in ABQ etc.
UNM knows it's not going to be ranked highly any time soon, so its bread and butter are these 2 niches. How would an out of state white applicant with ok numbers help either of these two goals better than a lifer of one of their preferred races? The campus is surprisingly nice, the food in ABQ is spectacular, and graduating will give you a pretty good in for the ABQ legal market. Good luck.

This was what I was trying to say more nicely to others. Your post is a little more blunt than I was... and to be honest I would be interested to know where you get your data for 1 & 2... I mean, if we are just talking anecdotal, then, well... While I agree with you about the niche market here in NM for UNM law grads, um... just FYI, you seem to border on bitter in your post... are you upset about something?

Their race "obsession" for instance: 60% of the state is minorities... so if they are letting in 60% minorities, then that would, in fact, be on par. 40% white and asian let in would be only a little bit below their representation in the state (whites represent about 45%, and asians less than 3%). Considering they are the native american law haavard so to speak, their overrepresentation of Native Americans is also not that big a deal, IMO.

ETA: actually, I looked at my numbers and can see a slight disconnect.... after all they are letting in 60% URM (hispanic, black, and NA) and not 60% total minorities.... so whites are losing out a little there... but since whites dominated the legal profession in this state in the past (and almost do still thanks to grads from places like NYU, Harvard, etc that get licensed here) I don't really see a problem with it.

ETAx2: Also, a fair number of the NA grads leave the state to represent their tribes elsewhere or in DC. This is, after all, where UNM actually has national reach. So if you look at people who stay in the state I bet the numbers end up being closer to actual percentages by race.

Longhorn1117

Postby Longhorn1117 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Aldenita wrote:
Longhorn1117 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:

I like UNM a lot. I didn't realize they were so skeptical about out of state applicants though. I guess I can only wait and see what they say. Where else are you looking?

Ya they do seem to be pretty serious about NM residency, but who knows. I bet you'll get in :) I applied all over though, Wake Forest, ASU, Kansas, OU, Baylor, Arkansas, Cincinnati, Washington and Lee. I've been accepted at Cincinnati and Arkansas, waitlisted at Washington and Lee and Kansas, and waiting to hear from the rest. What about you?

irenic

Postby irenic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Glad I spotted this thread... I've been looking at UNM for a while now but still have not applied. I'm a Texas resident, NOT a URM, and have an lsat of 153 and gpa of 3.64. The city of Albuquerque is very intriguing to me and I had a couple questions for those of you familiar with the school. First off, what do you think my chances are for admission? Secondly, do you know how easy it is the get state residency? If I only had to pay in state the first year, I wouldn't be opposed to attending. However, paying out of state tuition for more than the first year would be a difficult pill to swallow. Thanks and congrats to all who've been accepted for the fall!

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:37 am

irenic wrote:Glad I spotted this thread... I've been looking at UNM for a while now but still have not applied. I'm a Texas resident, NOT a URM, and have an lsat of 153 and gpa of 3.64. The city of Albuquerque is very intriguing to me and I had a couple questions for those of you familiar with the school. First off, what do you think my chances are for admission? Secondly, do you know how easy it is the get state residency? If I only had to pay in state the first year, I wouldn't be opposed to attending. However, paying out of state tuition for more than the first year would be a difficult pill to swallow. Thanks and congrats to all who've been accepted for the fall!

I am pretty sure you would be unable to get residency until after graduation. Also, unless you retake LSAT in February and get a 160 or better, I would say your chances of getting in are on the low side. Sorry.

ETA: There are several good texas schools that prefer residents if I remember correctly, and you could try there.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:14 am

Anyone hear back yet?

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:41 pm

nStiver wrote:Anyone hear back yet?

Not at all. Been complete since September-ish. Maybe even August

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:24 pm

I have heard more from them. It appears they are just gearing back up. I would say that the impression I have gotten so far is that things tend to run on New Mexico time there. I wouldn't start worrying until February for in-state and March for out-of-state.

However, if it is really bugging you, the admissions people there are super nice. I bet if you called and were polite they would let you know more specifically when you are likely to hear back.

Theprodigalson

Postby Theprodigalson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:I have heard more from them. It appears they are just gearing back up. I would say that the impression I have gotten so far is that things tend to run on New Mexico time there. I wouldn't start worrying until February for in-state and March for out-of-state.

However, if it is really bugging you, the admissions people there are super nice. I bet if you called and were polite they would let you know more specifically when you are likely to hear back.

Good to know as an out of stater who applied and has heard little besides back to back updates to "complete" at the beginning of the month. Though I am out of state hoping that my birth and childhood spent there (Rio Rancho) will hold some weight in fighting what seems to be a losing battle as a Chicagoan with aspiration of potentially going to this school. I do still have family there, and hold the "virtue" of being URM so who knows? At least I'm already in somewhere (Thanks Kent.)

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Theprodigalson wrote:Good to know as an out of stater who applied and has heard little besides back to back updates to "complete" at the beginning of the month. Though I am out of state hoping that my birth and childhood spent there (Rio Rancho) will hold some weight in fighting what seems to be a losing battle as a Chicagoan with aspiration of potentially going to this school. I do still have family there, and hold the "virtue" of being URM so who knows? At least I'm already in somewhere (Thanks Kent.)

Good luck! I hope we get to meet up at orientation!

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:13 pm

I just checked my status and it says "decision rendered." I'm guessing that it would say accepted if I was admitted. Can I just take this as a sign of a rejection?

meh3884

Postby meh3884 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Aldenita wrote:I just checked my status and it says "decision rendered." I'm guessing that it would say accepted if I was admitted. Can I just take this as a sign of a rejection?

No, it just means they've snail mailed their decision. Just gotta wait now.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm

meh3884 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:I just checked my status and it says "decision rendered." I'm guessing that it would say accepted if I was admitted. Can I just take this as a sign of a rejection?

No, it just means they've snail mailed their decision. Just gotta wait now.

+1000

All this means is that they have sent the letter. Waiting for it killed me. I kept thinking I was denied! :lol: Thank G-d I live in the burque.... waiting more than the three days for it (because one of them was a holiday) would have driven me even more insane!

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:00 pm

My status is Application Completed. Is there an intermediary status between App. Completed and Decision Rendered? Something like "application under consideration" or something?

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 am

nStiver wrote:

My status is Application Completed. Is there an intermediary status between App. Completed and Decision Rendered? Something like "application under consideration" or something?

No. Just straight from complete to decision rendered.... came as a surprise to me when I looked to see if I was under review yet and realized they finally made a decision.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 am

That is good FM, I assumed that they were just operating on New Mexico time and had not gotten around to reviewing my application.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”