University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jeffreymabq

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby jeffreymabq » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Is anybody in here going to the Accepted Applicant preview on April 4th?

mexinstdls

Postby mexinstdls » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:20 pm

I went decision rendered on 3/22 and still have not received a decision letter from the school. Is this lag normal?

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 am

jeffreymabq wrote:Is anybody in here going to the Accepted Applicant preview on April 4th?

Yes. I will PM you with my name sometime in the next few days. Need to buy a suit for the dinner and reception.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:08 am

mexinstdls wrote:I went decision rendered on 3/22 and still have not received a decision letter from the school. Is this lag normal?

My guess is that it is. Depends on where you are (are you here in NM?). But if you haven't received it by Tuesday afternoon I would be tempted to call and let them know you haven't received your letter yet.

I waited three weeks for a letter from out of state once... called, got a new one sent, and then received the original a few days later.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Having to wait a long time is normal..i've been waiting for months.

retiree

Postby retiree » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:43 pm

:)
nStiver wrote:Having to wait a long time is normal..i've been waiting for months.

Baseball may be America's favorite pastime, but I would like to nominate "wait time" as our most despised time. We wait in line at the bank, we wait on hold on the phone incessantly (sometimes up to 30+ minutes and longer), we wait in the doctor's office, we wait for callbacks that never come, we wait weeks for a refund check, we wait in a parking lot of cars on the roads, we wait, we wait, we wait...Since various agencies like to publish the figures for how long people are in their cars for their daily commutes, I would love to see someone write their dissertation on the "science of waiting" and how many hours in our lifetime we spend waiting.

We often have little control over it, and learn accordingly--I have learned not to go to Wal-Mart on a Saturday afternoon or on payday, since I don't like to wait in a long line. It is the wait time that we don't have any control over (e.g., waiting for a college to make a decision) that gets our goat up. So just hang in there--do a bunch of crunches to let off the steam, or clean out a drawer, whenever you start to think about the waiting. At least make the wait time productive (which I am sure you are--patience, patience, patience).

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 pm

retiree wrote:At least make the wait time productive...

This is the best advice I have gotten yet in regards to this issue.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Why did UNM's ranking fall 12 spots this year?

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Aldenita wrote:Why did UNM's ranking fall 12 spots this year?

I don't know. P.S. Aldenita, did you get accepted?

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Yes I did. I went and visited last month and liked it. I just really hope they give me $. I spoke to someone today who said that the first round of recepients have to commit to attending by Friday if they want to keep the money. I'm hoping I'm in the next round. She told me that I have competitive numbers, but they prefer NM residents.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Look on US News at the employment numbers Aldenita. 49% after 9 months or so. Brutal. Though I think their numbers are probably more honest than many.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Aldenita wrote:Yes I did. I went and visited last month and liked it. I just really hope they give me $. I spoke to someone today who said that the first round of recepients have to commit to attending by Friday if they want to keep the money. I'm hoping I'm in the next round. She told me that I have competitive numbers, but they prefer NM residents.

Wait... they have to commit to the money, or commit to a deposit??? Crap. I will be giving them $200 tonight I guess, just to be safe.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:09 pm

firemed wrote:

Look on US News at the employment numbers Aldenita. 49% after 9 months or so. Brutal. Though I think their numbers are probably more honest than many.

WOW :shock:. Who's going to ASD?

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:10 pm

firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:Yes I did. I went and visited last month and liked it. I just really hope they give me $. I spoke to someone today who said that the first round of recepients have to commit to attending by Friday if they want to keep the money. I'm hoping I'm in the next round. She told me that I have competitive numbers, but they prefer NM residents.

Wait... they have to commit to the money, or commit to a deposit??? Crap. I will be giving them $200 tonight I guess, just to be safe.

My guess is that you have to give them a deposit. They want to give money to people who they know are actually going to attend. May I ask you how much they gave you?

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:44 pm

Aldenita wrote:
firemed wrote:

My guess is that you have to give them a deposit. They want to give money to people who they know are actually going to attend. May I ask you how much they gave you?

I sent a form that committed to the money. But I better do the deposit just to be safe.

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:14 pm

firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:
firemed wrote:

I sent a form that committed to the money. But I better do the deposit just to be safe.

Not sure if you know, but you can do it with a credit card online - takes 2 minutes.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 pm

I am shocked, I pretty much shit my pants when I got a decline letter from them today. My numbers are spot on their medians... wtf? This cycle is pretty bad for me :(

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 pm

firemed wrote:

Perhaps due to changes in the employment figures? From USN:

This year, we modified how we compute the employment rates used in the law school rankings. In the past, new J.D.s counted as employed at graduation and at nine months out if they were working full or part time in a legal or non-legal job or pursuing additional graduate education; so did 25 percent of those whose status was "unknown." Now, the rates are figured solely based on the number of grads working full or part time in a legal or non-legal job divided by the total number of J.D. graduates. Also, those who are not seeking employment are now counted in the calculation as part of the total number of graduates; previously, they were excluded.

retiree

Postby retiree » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 pm

from USN&WR
This year, we modified how we compute the employment rates used in the law school rankings. In the past, new J.D.s counted as employed at graduation and at nine months out if they were working full or part time in a legal or non-legal job or pursuing additional graduate education; so did 25 percent of those whose status was "unknown." Now, the rates are figured solely based on the number of grads working full or part time in a legal or non-legal job divided by the total number of J.D. graduates. Also, those who are not seeking employment are now counted in the calculation as part of the total number of graduates; previously, they were excluded.[/quote]

How does USN&WR define "non-legal job"? Further, how do they discern non-legal jobs? A new graduate might be working in a job at a company, but not as an attorney. Their legal education might be useful, but it may not be necessary. Then there is the non-legal job where a brand new J.D. is working at a restaurant because he/she is unable to find an attorney's position somewhere. I have read about them in the articles about the glutted lawyer market, and about those who were laid off.

Yes, the number of J.D. graduates should be made known--it stands on its own: X-number of people graduated from XYZ University with a law degree in May 2010. It is a standalone figure. But for whatever reason, if I am reading USN&WR right, if a graduate is NOT looking for a job, then why count them for the other employment purposes? Why count them if they are in school? Of course that will skew the "employed" figures big time. So, I don't really know what the figures represent (and I excelled in graduate statistics!). Even the federal government does not count people who are not looking for a job as part of the unemployment figure, given how they define "unemployment." You can read all its definitions at this link: http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm#unemployed

I thought UNM went from #77 to #79. Once again, this points out that anyone going to law school needs to go into it with both eyes open--that the high-paying jobs go to a tiny, tiny, number of graduates--those who are dying for those 80-hour-a-week jobs in high-cost cities! No sense getting worked up over the ratings, scores, or employment stats the school publishes, whatever. The only person who counts is you--whether you get a job as a lawyer or whatever kind of job you would like to be in where you can use your J.D. education.

I have to laugh (not at anyone, just at what does not matter as you get older)--in all the years I have attended cocktail parties (lots of them in Wash DC when I lived there) and other functions--not one person started out asking me where I went to school. Not one. Most of the time that subject never came up. It is your actions, job performance, and professional dealings that will speak louder than any 4.0 GPA, whether the law school you attended was #1 or #100.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:52 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:I am shocked, I pretty much shit my pants when I got a decline letter from them today. My numbers are spot on their medians... wtf? This cycle is pretty bad for me :(

Sorry. That sucks.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Who's going to be there on Monday? I didn't realize the reception was a formal thing. I'll be driving from Lubbock since I went to ASD at Tech.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Aldenita wrote:Who's going to be there on Monday? I didn't realize the reception was a formal thing. I'll be driving from Lubbock since I went to ASD at Tech.

I will... I don't think the day will be formal. But I am assuming the reception and dinner will.

jeffreymabq

Postby jeffreymabq » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Oooh - how formal? I was going to go sportcoat and open collar, but maybe I wear full suit? And, is anyone bringing a guest - I was planning to bring my wife. Anyone else?

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:43 pm

jeffreymabq wrote:Oooh - how formal? I was going to go sportcoat and open collar, but maybe I wear full suit? And, is anyone bringing a guest - I was planning to bring my wife. Anyone else?

Yes, I'm bringing a guest. After looking at the schedule, I really doubt that we have to dress up. This is probably the 10th asd I have attended and none of them required us to wear a suit.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:20 pm

uggg...nothing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”