University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
firemed

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
oliverdarcy wrote:Anyone else get a decision rendered today?

I got a plain envelope with a single sheet of paper, dated 16 Feb. Arrived on the 22nd. I am out of state and all the way east. I need to schedule a visit.

If you need help being shown around (rides, etc) let me know via PM.

sab0tage

Postby sab0tage » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:53 pm

My status checker says Application Complete - 1/19/11. Please dont tell me that my app isn't even under review. Had this changed on anyone elses who has recieved a decision?

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 pm

sab0tage wrote:My status checker says Application Complete - 1/19/11. Please dont tell me that my app isn't even under review. Had this changed on anyone elses who has recieved a decision?

How strange is that?! nStiver and I are in the same boat with you. Both of our files say application complete 1/19/11. Not sure what is happening. I've called the school and they said that a decision hasn't been made on me. When did you apply? I applied on 12/9/10.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:15 am

lobowannabe wrote:
sab0tage wrote:My status checker says Application Complete - 1/19/11. Please dont tell me that my app isn't even under review. Had this changed on anyone elses who has recieved a decision?

How strange is that?! nStiver and I are in the same boat with you. Both of our files say application complete 1/19/11. Not sure what is happening. I've called the school and they said that a decision hasn't been made on me. When did you apply? I applied on 12/9/10.

Just FYI I never went "Under Review". I just went from Complete to Decision Rendered one day.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 am

What, nobody has news yet?

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

firemed wrote:What, nobody has news yet?

Not a word since my date changed under application complete 1/19/2011. I applied on 12/9/10 and there was one date change between the two.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Ha! My status still says "status date 1/19/11". I called the school and got the exact same response; my application went to committee on the 11th of January, but they said they have not made a decision. I have a feeling that all of us whose status says the 19th and who have not heard back are in the final batch of applicants, and they will make a decision soon. I mean, they only have so many weeks, right?

I wish that they would just let us know so that I can start planning my life for the next year. Whether or not I get accepted will have a major impact on several life decisions that I intend to make. If I get rejected I will immediately start studying for another LSAT in October. I will be absolutely on point, and my application will be ready to roll out the minute my LSAT hits my inbox. I will also apply to more than one school :).

If I get in, then I will be jubilant.

P.S. to all you lobos out there, spring break is coming next week. Lets try to relax and have a good time. Hopefully we will know by the time we get back!

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:32 pm

nStiver wrote:Ha! My status still says "status date 1/19/11". I called the school and got the exact same response; my application went to committee on the 11th of January, but they said they have not made a decision. I have a feeling that all of us whose status says the 19th and who have not heard back are in the final batch of applicants, and they will make a decision soon. I mean, they only have so many weeks, right?

I wish that they would just let us know so that I can start planning my life for the next year. Whether or not I get accepted will have a major impact on several life decisions that I intend to make. If I get rejected I will immediately start studying for another LSAT in October. I will be absolutely on point, and my application will be ready to roll out the minute my LSAT hits my inbox. I will also apply to more than one school :).

P.S. to all you lobos out there, spring break is coming next week. Lets try to relax and have a good time. Hopefully we will know by the time we get back!

I agree! At this point, I almost don't care what the answer is--I just want the answer. I still want law school more than anything, but I too have professional opportunities that will need to be considered and considered rather soon--so I don't miss out on a great opportunity while waiting for the school to make a decision--especially if the law school says no.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 pm

lobowannabe wrote:
nStiver wrote:Ha! My status still says "status date 1/19/11". I called the school and got the exact same response; my application went to committee on the 11th of January, but they said they have not made a decision. I have a feeling that all of us whose status says the 19th and who have not heard back are in the final batch of applicants, and they will make a decision soon. I mean, they only have so many weeks, right?

I agree! At this point, I almost don't care what the answer is--I just want the answer. I still want law school more than anything, but I too have professional opportunities that will need to be considered and considered rather soon--so I don't miss out on a great opportunity while waiting for the school to make a decision--especially if the law school says no.

I know. It is taking them a very, very, very long time to get back to us on this one. New Mexico: The Land of Manana". Also, if I get in, I know I can coast in my last class. If I get dinged, I have to get an A so it looks good for next cycle :(

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Then again, Law School Predictor has me in as an "admit", and we know that they are never wrong....right?

oliverdarcy

Postby oliverdarcy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

My status changed to "decision rendered" on 3/1. I go home from school to check my mail on the weekends and nothing was in there this past friday/saturday. I am hoping to have some news tomorrow.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Let us know how it went Darcy!

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 pm

nStiver wrote:P.S. to all you lobos out there, spring break is coming next week. Lets try to relax and have a good time. Hopefully we will know by the time we get back!

I'm heading down to Carlsbad. Wish I would have known I was going sooner. Their guided cave tours are all booked. :(

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:58 am

Ah, a newbie New Mexican I see. Next you will want to see white sands, I hear thats pretty cool.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:51 am

NewLobo wrote:
nStiver wrote:P.S. to all you lobos out there, spring break is coming next week. Lets try to relax and have a good time. Hopefully we will know by the time we get back!

I'm heading down to Carlsbad. Wish I would have known I was going sooner. Their guided cave tours are all booked. :(

When my kiddo gets older I really want to go on one of the tours. I hear some of those secondary caves are wicked awesome.

retiree

Postby retiree » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:37 pm

[quote=I agree! At this point, I almost don't care what the answer is--I just want the answer. I still want law school more than anything, but I too have professional opportunities that will need to be considered and considered rather soon--so I don't miss out on a great opportunity while waiting for the school to make a decision--especially if the law school says no.[/quote]

I learned a long time ago that "waiting" gets you nowhere, although your blood pressure does tend to rise. :-) I have also learned through the years to not wait for anybody or anything. Proceed with your plans. If you get accepted, great. If you have other plans that you need to proceed with, then get on with them. If you make them and then get word you have been accepted to l.s., you can usually make changes in your other plans. It is better to proceed with one bird in the hand, than wait to find out you have no birds in the hand. Of course, if someone has no plans beyond getting a letter, then it makes no difference what you do. The name of the game is "waiting."

And remember what my friend Alice always says, "Everything is as it should be."

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:24 pm

That is good advice retiree

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Does anyone know UNM's wait list policy, or has anyone been wait-listed? I wonder when they usually tell people they have been wl'd. :shock:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Although only 22 applicants registered this year, lawschoolnumbers.com shows only a handful of acceptances, no waitlists, one rejection & the rest are listed as "pending".

USNews shows New Mexico's acceptance rate for last cycle as 21%. Usually New Mexico has a yield of almost 50%--which is very high.

retiree

Postby retiree » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:00 pm

nStiver wrote:Does anyone know UNM's wait list policy, or has anyone been wait-listed? I wonder when they usually tell people they have been wl'd. :shock:

Well, UNM is in New Mexico, and the state seems to give new meaning to "mañana," so perhaps that is the hang-up. Probably not the response you were looking for, but I would bet it is closer in truth to the real situation. :-)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 pm

No, I think that New Mexico is quite selective based on their own priorities & that the high yield makes a waitlist almost unnecessary. Actually New Mexico responds quickly to those accepted on the first review. According to the scant information on lawschoolnumbers.com, during the last few cycles New Mexico often issues acceptances within one week of one's application going complete, although some other acceptances seemed to take from 3 weeks to almost 2 months to issue.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:55 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:No, I think that New Mexico is quite selective based on their own priorities & that the high yield makes a waitlist almost unnecessary. Actually New Mexico responds quickly to those accepted on the first review. According to the scant information on lawschoolnumbers.com, during the last few cycles New Mexico often issues acceptances within one week of one's application going complete, although some other acceptances seemed to take from 3 weeks to almost 2 months to issue.

It took two months or so for them to get back to me. However, it seems to me that... as far as I can tell... they are doing these apps in batches. But I am totes guessing... YMMV.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:04 pm

nStiver wrote:Does anyone know UNM's wait list policy, or has anyone been wait-listed? I wonder when they usually tell people they have been wl'd. :shock:

I think you are on a "sort of waitlist" dude. Like, here is what I would put $20 on happening to you: They hold your app and look at the people who are coming in. The continue to admit those they really like. Then April 15th comes, and everyone has to send in their first deposit. Suddenly they have a much clearer picture of how many of the ones they really like are attending. Then they go back and look at all the apps like yours that they liked but weren't 100% on. They go through and admit those until they fill their class. That fact that you haven't been rejected is still a good sign. Try not to lose hope.

Also, I am trying to remember, but aren't you just out of UG? Dean Washburn told me they admit a lot more non-trads than trads. So that may be part of the issue.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:13 pm

nStiver wrote:Ah, a newbie New Mexican I see. Next you will want to see white sands, I hear thats pretty cool.

By newbie I hope you mean born and raised :-P. No I just havent been since I was small. I just wanted to get out and do something last minute(spring break). Also, I did go to White Sands on my way home from Carlsbad.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”