University of New Mexico 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
firemed

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Postby firemed » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am

nStiver wrote:It is taking too long...I am nervous...I applied on 1/2/11. Still no word that a decision had been rendered. I wonder if that is a bad sign.

It could be.... but it also could be that they are trying to see how the rest of their class is shaping up. When you are a splitter you sometimes gotta put up with this sort of thing, unfortunately. :cry: Sorry bro.... I feel your pain though.

If it helps any, just got a ding from Tulane.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 pm

firemed wrote:
nStiver wrote:It is taking too long...I am nervous...I applied on 1/2/11. Still no word that a decision had been rendered. I wonder if that is a bad sign.

It could be.... but it also could be that they are trying to see how the rest of their class is shaping up. When you are a splitter you sometimes gotta put up with this sort of thing, unfortunately. :cry: Sorry bro.... I feel your pain though.

If it helps any, just got a ding from Tulane.

Man, it was arrogant of me to think that I would be a shoe-in for UNM just because I got a 164. Wake up call. Lots of 164s in this thread.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 pm

The problem lies elsewhere. Because you are an undergraduate at New Mexico, it may be an issue of knowing you too well. Since your LSDAS GPA is quite a bit lower than your undergraduate school GPA, there may be an issue regarding lack of effort & retaking a course despite your high intellect. Could be a less than enthusiastic recommendation or someone noted a maturity issue, etc.
Did you apply elsewhere ? If so, what results ?

P.S. Is it possible that your assumption of being admitted to the law school was reflected in the tone of your application essays ?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 pm

The University of New Mexico Law School is very selective & enjoys a remarkably high admissions yield of close to 50%. As a small law school with highly dedicated & well qualified faculty & administrators, it is like being admitted to a very small ultra selective club that is akin to a family. Only a dozen law schools out of 200 are smaller in total enrollment.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The problem lies elsewhere. Because you are an undergraduate at New Mexico, it may be an issue of knowing you too well. Since your LSDAS GPA is quite a bit lower than your undergraduate school GPA, there may be an issue regarding lack of effort & retaking a course despite your high intellect. Could be a less than enthusiastic recommendation or someone noted a maturity issue, etc.
Did you apply elsewhere ? If so, what results ?

P.S. Is it possible that your assumption of being admitted to the law school was reflected in the tone of your application essays ?

The only reason that I can think of is the GPA, which is extremely patchy and up and down. Did not apply elsewhere. However, I was looking at a thread from last year and some of these people were not admitted until april.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 pm

The good news is that you haven't been rejected.
I asked if you had applied elsewhere because that is one method of assessing your recommendations to which you do not have access.
As you now realize, it is never a good idea to apply to only one law school.
As a point of interest, read the law profs bios on the New Mexico Law School website. Over half of the 33 law profs received their law degrees from Harvard, Yale or Stanford & one from Columbia. Some have taught at Yale.
I hope that you are admitted.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:28 pm

But the thing is CWolf, is that I do not want to attend anywhere else other than UNM, unless it was a truly top tier school. The economy is so bad in the country and the tuition at UNM is so cheap for in state residents that I don't think it is worth it for me to pay more than the 13,660 a year for a law degree.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:30 pm

One thing I have learned is that your UGPA is really important. Don't bother attending classes if you are just going to flunk out of them.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm

I understand, but applicants to Indiana, for example, with a 165 or higher LSAT are getting $120,000 scholarships regardless of their GPAs. Applying to another law school for which your LSAT is in the top 25% might offer a glimpse into the strength of your application essays & recommendations. Many New Mexico applicants also apply to Colorado, Denver, Arizona & ASU. Although late, consider applying to Oregon since you should be a strong candidate & see what happens.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:35 pm

If I don't get in this cycle, I will definitely diversify my applications next year.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 pm

You still have time to apply to Oregon. Request an application fee waiver & invest $12 to assess your application.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 pm

God I need a shot of morphine or something to steady my nerves. This is too much for hard liquor.

barklm

Postby barklm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:12 pm

nStiver wrote:God I need a shot of morphine or something to steady my nerves. This is too much for hard liquor.

I know I'm one to be talking but just try to put it out of your head! You've submitted your application and done all you can do ... since it's out of your hands is best to try not to worry about it. I would perhaps suggest looking at a couple of others schools that are close by like CanadianWolf suggested - just to be safe.

I have my fingers crossed for you!!
Last edited by barklm on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:31 pm

God, if I don't get in, I don't know what the re-application process will be like. I better get a higher score on the LSAT or im finished.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:37 pm

I doubt that your LSAT score of 164 is a problem. Applying to only one school, however, may not be reasonable unless due to family circumstances you are unable to leave the area. You are being too hard on yourself. 89% of all LSAT takers would love to have your score. Don't panic, try to take control of the situation by applying elsewhere.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

nStiver wrote:God, if I don't get in, I don't know what the re-application process will be like. I better get a higher score on the LSAT or im finished.

Try to relax. Consider what CW said, and fill out some apps for L&C, ASU, Denver, Indiana. Even if you don't go there, well, if nothing else you will have some acceptances to tide you through the next year's cycle.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:50 pm

I still haven't heard back from all of my schools. BREATHE.

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:19 pm

nStiver - I'm in the same boat with you! We can do this! Look at it this way--they haven't said no yet! :D

NM is the only school I want to go to so it is the only one I applied to. There is still plenty of time. The application deadline has just barely passed and they receive 1200-1400 applications each year--a lot to process.

Just remember--you aren't alone. I'm doin' shots right along side of you.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 pm

lobowannabe wrote:nStiver - I'm in the same boat with you! We can do this! Look at it this way--they haven't said no yet! :D

NM is the only school I want to go to so it is the only one I applied to. There is still plenty of time. The application deadline has just barely passed and they receive 1200-1400 applications each year--a lot to process.

Man, thanks so much...that means a lot. It's true, they do process tons of apps. My friend just applied on the 15th.

lobowannabe

Postby lobowannabe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 pm

nStiver wrote:
lobowannabe wrote:nStiver - I'm in the same boat with you! We can do this! Look at it this way--they haven't said no yet! :D

Man, thanks so much...that means a lot. It's true, they do process tons of apps. My friend just applied on the 15th.

What kind of friend is that?! They are taking up our valuable time!! :lol:

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:32 pm

lobowannabe wrote:
nStiver wrote:

What kind of friend is that?! They are taking up our valuable time!! :lol:

Well, he is more of a "frienemy" then a friend anyway, lol.

oliverdarcy

Postby oliverdarcy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Anyone else get a decision rendered today?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Did you ? If so, good news ? Method of delivery ?

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Did you ? If so, good news ? Method of delivery ?

They won't tell you any way but by snail mail... so they will all have to wait 3-8 days. Apparently UNM can't use the secure status checker system everyone else here in the 21st century uses. :lol:

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 am

oliverdarcy wrote:Anyone else get a decision rendered today?

I got a plain envelope with a single sheet of paper, dated 16 Feb. Arrived on the 22nd. I am out of state and all the way east. I need to schedule a visit.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”