University of New Mexico 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nStiver

Bronze

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Post by nStiver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:10 pm

gostros wrote:
nStiver wrote:Congrats gostros. April 26 for me and no decision yet. I really wish they would not do this to us.
Seriously though, I've been following your predicament in the earlier posts, I was starting to get super anxious myself! If it's consolation, my friend who's a 2L there now didn't hear back till about mid may, so they can be super slow on the whole letting people know thing. Good luck though, hopefully you hear soon!
Really? I thought they had to let you know by May 1st! I am not going to be happy about having to put my life on hold for another month.....

retiree

New

Post by retiree » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:44 pm

nStiver wrote:
gostros wrote:
nStiver wrote:Congrats gostros. April 26 for me and no decision yet. I really wish they would not do this to us.
Seriously though, I've been following your predicament in the earlier posts, I was starting to get super anxious myself! If it's consolation, my friend who's a 2L there now didn't hear back till about mid may, so they can be super slow on the whole letting people know thing. Good luck though, hopefully you hear soon!
Really? I thought they had to let you know by May 1st! I am not going to be happy about having to put my life on hold for another month.....
It seems that at times, life is a game of one frustration after another. And like a target, the game is always changing (moving) and sometimes, you don't even know the new rules. No, it is not nice, and you hope the school sticks to its published notification date. Schools don't want slots to go empty, but also know that some people have money to burn and will pay the deposit at a number of schools, then back out at the last moment. (If the deposit were higher, that probably wouldn't happen as often as it does.) Definitely not nice--on either side.

Perhaps the question to ask is: If a school were to notify the applicant as late as whatever that date might be after the deadline, would you still want to accept? When an applicant knows they are not in the "first tier" (no pun intended) of acceptances, does that mean anything? In my book, not really. In life, sometimes we might be someone's 5th choice, when we wanted to be the first pick. Think about the American Idol contestants--some of the non winners have gone on to do much greater things than the actual winner (Jennifer Hudson comes to mind). You are still a good man, Charlie Brown.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Many law schools issue offers of acceptance up until the first day of class--even though "mandatory" orientation for new students has passed. It is just the way things are. Opportunities often come at inopportune times.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Many law schools issue offers of acceptance up until the first day of class--even though "mandatory" orientation for new students has passed. It is just the way things are. Opportunities often come at inopportune times.

A friend of mine was called on the second day of orientation and told to show up for the third if she still wanted her spot.

ETA: not UNM. A school in or near NYC.

gostros

New

Post by gostros » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 am

firemed wrote:
gostros wrote:First post but figured I'd join the thread now. Decision rendered April 25, acceptance received today! Good thing I'm in Albuquerque, waiting any more would have killed me, ha. I'm psyched to be joining those of you who are already in, and best of luck to those who haven't heard yet!

Welcome to you! I look forward to meeting you soon.
Thanks firemed, you're local right? should be fun, I don't think I know anyone else yet who's in this class so I'll probably be meeting a lot of new people in the next few months. Just relieved to finally know though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 am

gostros wrote:
firemed wrote:
gostros wrote:First post but figured I'd join the thread now. Decision rendered April 25, acceptance received today! Good thing I'm in Albuquerque, waiting any more would have killed me, ha. I'm psyched to be joining those of you who are already in, and best of luck to those who haven't heard yet!

Thanks firemed, you're local right? should be fun, I don't think I know anyone else yet who's in this class so I'll probably be meeting a lot of new people in the next few months. Just relieved to finally know though.

Jeffreymabq and I met up. He is a cool dude.

We should have a UNM/TLS get together this summer and all hang a little and talk. Retiree can come too, even though she isn't going to LS this year (I don't think). We'll see who else gets in in a few weeks and then get everyone together.

FireWife

New

Post by FireWife » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 am

it's just a practical application of New mexico time...

when they want YOU to do something it must be done now... when you want THEM to do something... well.. the'll get to it next week... maybe... LOL

jeffreymabq

New

Post by jeffreymabq » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:45 am

firemed wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Many law schools issue offers of acceptance up until the first day of class--even though "mandatory" orientation for new students has passed. It is just the way things are. Opportunities often come at inopportune times.

A friend of mine was called on the second day of orientation and told to show up for the third if she still wanted her spot.

ETA: not UNM. A school in or near NYC.
My old roommate was transferring to CU from a T4 school in Florida - they called him 4 days before and said "If you want to go to Colorado - you got four days to get your ass cross-country.." He had had blind faith, and they had packed their apartment already - got a U-haul and was on the road within 12 hours.

Side note - I STILL have not heard from SMU. Not that it matters at this point, but, UNM is not the only one. But, I kind of believe is better to still not know you're in, than to know you're not in.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:33 am

No I think I would rather know I am not in so I am not in this weird state of limbo as far as my life plans are concerned.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

retiree

New

Post by retiree » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:18 pm

nStiver wrote:No I think I would rather know I am not in so I am not in this weird state of limbo as far as my life plans are concerned.
I have the same philosophy--about 99% of the time (the rest, I don't care about). So you must be a planner. Let's hear it for the planners of the world! My calendar goes out to 3 years in fairly good detail, and out to 5 years for other planning, and 1/3 to 1/2 of each year is already filled in. If I don't plan far enough out, then I end up paying more for trips I want to take.

At least you have life plans. A lot of the younger people I talk to (I volunteer a lot) are clueless and, worse, don't care what happens. I don't know your age group, but from my experience in teaching career management courses, the planning concept doesn't seem to kick in for a lot of people until they are in their mid-thirties, if then. And by their late forties, they are in panic mode. And it is not just career planning, either--it is all kinds of planning. So if you are in your twenties, then you are an astute person when it comes to your life plans. So you get the teacher's "gold star" award from me today. :D [P.S. I realized how important planning was when, at the end of my junior year the first time I was in college, I still had not declared a major. And that is when the lesson about planning from my father (God rest his soul), the uber planner, really, really, sunk in.]

retiree

New

Post by retiree » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 pm

retiree wrote:
nStiver wrote:No I think I would rather know I am not in so I am not in this weird state of limbo as far as my life plans are concerned.
I have the same philosophy--about 99% of the time (the rest, I don't care about). So you must be a planner. Let's hear it for the planners of the world! My calendar goes out to 3 years in fairly good detail, and out to 5 years for other planning, and 1/3 to 1/2 of each year is already filled in. If I don't plan far enough out, then I end up paying more for trips I want to take.

At least you have life plans. A lot of the younger people I talk to (I volunteer a lot) are clueless and, worse, don't care what happens. I don't know your age group, but from my experience in teaching career management courses, the planning concept doesn't seem to kick in for a lot of people until they are in their mid-thirties, if then. And by their late forties, they are in panic mode. And it is not just career planning, either--it is all kinds of planning. So if you are in your twenties, then you are an astute person when it comes to your life plans. So you get the teacher's "gold star" award from me today. :D [P.S. I realized how important planning was when, at the end of my junior year the first time I was in college, I still had not declared a major. And that is when the lesson about planning from my father (God rest his soul), the uber planner, really, really, sunk in.]
ON THE OTHER HAND, as several have noted on here, we already all know that UNM is not the fastest here, and the USPS service in ABQ has been at the bottom of the list for taking up to 3 days to mail right here in town! So, the only thing people know is, that so far, they were not notified immediately (which could have been last year when they submitted their application) of a rejection. So, think good thoughts, and be ready to put Plan B into action if the letter is not what you expected.

retiree

New

Post by retiree » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 pm

firemed wrote:
gostros wrote:
firemed wrote:

Jeffreymabq and I met up. He is a cool dude.

We should have a UNM/TLS get together this summer and all hang a little and talk. Retiree can come too, even though she isn't going to LS this year (I don't think). We'll see who else gets in in a few weeks and then get everyone together.

Thank you very much for the invite. Just let me know when the big soiree will be. (Heck, if I get the 43 things on my "to do" list done, we could have it at my house. I have a brand new huge gas BBQ grill that I have yet to figure out how to use. (That, coming from someone who has installed RAM and hard drives in her computers and who used to do her own tune-ups on her cars!) If anyone needs any help with a Plan B, let me know, and I will be glad to help you. (And, to confirm, I am not a law student nor am I planning to go to law school. I am a degreed paralegal who works with attorneys when I need money for vacations. I have a couple of friends in law school--not here.) But if you all are looking for a wild den mother, I just might fit the bill! :lol:

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:08 pm

I guess UNM DOES have a waiting list, as I am now on it.....crap. So, does this mean that my chances of admission have just dropped significantly?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:01 pm

nStiver wrote:I guess UNM DOES have a waiting list, as I am now on it.....crap. So, does this mean that my chances of admission have just dropped significantly?
Well, congrats that you didn't get the ding.

As for chances... Hmmm.... hard to say. (Warning: what follows is mostly guesswork) Most of their spots are already taken via deposit. I am sure that one or two (or maybe even more) will withdraw anyway. Probably on or before the second deposit deadline. In addition several offers of admission seem to have gone out this week. At this point I would guess at least half those will turn UNM down simply because they either got a better offer elsewhere, or because it is too late in the cycle for them. And then someone else will wait till august and decide they want to go to medical school or get a PhD or something instead.

So... by the end of the summer you are looking at at least 6 spots opening up... maybe more. So... I guess it just depend on where you are on the waitlist.

You are going to have to decide when it will no longer be worth it to you to ride the waitlist. If I were you, I would consider going until August though. Just a personal choice, of course.

On the other hand here... you know you almost made it in, so an improved application next year could really help.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Some who have already deposited may get called from the waitlist at another school. This should open up a spot for you as New Mexico's waitlist is probably quite small due to their high yield.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 pm

firemed wrote:
nStiver wrote:I guess UNM DOES have a waiting list, as I am now on it.....crap. So, does this mean that my chances of admission have just dropped significantly?
Well, congrats that you didn't get the ding.

As for chances... Hmmm.... hard to say. (Warning: what follows is mostly guesswork) Most of their spots are already taken via deposit. I am sure that one or two (or maybe even more) will withdraw anyway. Probably on or before the second deposit deadline. In addition several offers of admission seem to have gone out this week. At this point I would guess at least half those will turn UNM down simply because they either got a better offer elsewhere, or because it is too late in the cycle for them. And then someone else will wait till august and decide they want to go to medical school or get a PhD or something instead.

So... by the end of the summer you are looking at at least 6 spots opening up... maybe more. So... I guess it just depend on where you are on the waitlist.

You are going to have to decide when it will no longer be worth it to you to ride the waitlist. If I were you, I would consider going until August though. Just a personal choice, of course.

On the other hand here... you know you almost made it in, so an improved application next year could really help.
I am just going to proceed as though I did not get in, and start hitting the LSAT again. I am also going to have that application absolutely polished by next november, upon which time I will send it in.

Do you guys (and girls) know if it is a good idea to send letters of continuing interest? Maybe some kind of contact with admissions will improve my chances. I am definitely staying on till August. Nothing to lose.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Some who have already deposited may get called from the waitlist at another school. This should open up a spot for you as New Mexico's waitlist is probably quite small due to their high yield.
Ya the letter said it was under 50 people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:13 pm

nStiver wrote:
I am just going to proceed as though I did not get in, and start hitting the LSAT again. I am also going to have that application absolutely polished by next november, upon which time I will send it in.

Do you guys (and girls) know if it is a good idea to send letters of continuing interest? Maybe some kind of contact with admissions will improve my chances. I am definitely staying on till August. Nothing to lose.
LOCIs are credited. It helps them a lot if anything has changed for the better since you applied. Ie: GPA went up, LSAT went up, you got work experience in a legal field, did interesting volunteer activities, etc. But even if nothing has really changed it is worthwhile to send one in a week or two. It will let them know you are still interested and could possibly bump you up the waitlist over those who didn't bother to respond.

Also, a waitlist with less than 50 people gives you a decent shot, I would think. Heck, I bet a lot of the people waitlisted will simply withdraw.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:18 pm

You know you guys have really been great throughout this whole thing. I hope I can be in your class next year, thanks for the support!

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 pm

retiree wrote: and the USPS service in ABQ has been at the bottom of the list for taking up to 3 days to mail right here in town!
Hey now, we are not that bad. :wink:

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

NewLobo wrote:
retiree wrote: and the USPS service in ABQ has been at the bottom of the list for taking up to 3 days to mail right here in town!

Hey... did you get in?

ETA: I also wonder what happened with Lobowannabe.... And that one girl who posted at the beginning from out of state...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 pm

firemed wrote:
NewLobo wrote:

Hey... did you get in?

ETA: I also wonder what happened with Lobowannabe.... And that one girl who posted at the beginning from out of state...
No, I am still meandering through undergrad. I have not decided what I want to do with my life.

lobowannabe

New

Post by lobowannabe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:12 pm

firemed wrote:
NewLobo wrote:

Hey... did you get in?

I'm still here. Got my wait-list notice this afternoon in the mail. Not sure about much more right now. I haven't actually seen the letter yet. My husband read it to me over the phone. I'll probably call the school and see how far they typically go on the wait list and where I'm at on it. Not sure if they will tell me or not, but it is worth a try.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:49 pm

lobowannabe wrote: I'm still here. Got my wait-list notice this afternoon in the mail. Not sure about much more right now. I haven't actually seen the letter yet. My husband read it to me over the phone. I'll probably call the school and see how far they typically go on the wait list and where I'm at on it. Not sure if they will tell me or not, but it is worth a try.

It is worth a try. When you actually get them on the phone I have noticed they are very good about providing information. Like I told nstiver, since there is less than 50 people on the waitlist, I bet you have a good shot.

Did you apply anywhere else? I forgot if you mentioned that.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:50 pm

NewLobo wrote:
firemed wrote:
NewLobo wrote:

Hey... did you get in?

No, I am still meandering through undergrad. I have not decided what I want to do with my life.
No worries about that... it took me years and years to figure it out. :mrgreen:

Well, if you decide to go to UNM law, feel free to use us as a resource.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”