University of New Mexico 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
firemed

Silver

University of New Mexico 2011

Post by firemed » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:09 pm

I thought I would start this for applicants or accepted people to UNM this cycle. I don't see another topic on it for this year.

I am in at UNM, and it is 99.9% that I will be going there at this point barring a full ride+++ scholly somewhere.

I look forward to hearing from anyone else headed there this year.

Also, if (and I find this unlikely, but possible) an out of state person needs some advice about the burque, let me know.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:30 am

I am not applying, however, congratulations on your acceptance.

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:30 pm

I applied, but didn't send in my app until late Dec.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:27 pm

I just applied. Fire Medic, are you a new mexico resident? When did you apply, and what are your numbers if I may ask?

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Applied in about August, still no word.

Advised against it another thread since I have no ties to NM and unsure about living there forever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:31 pm

God, you applied in August? How long to they take to get back to us?

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:33 pm

From all my research....forever if you aren't a resident. They are suspicious of non-residents so it may take up until March.

meh3884

New

Post by meh3884 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 pm

JaLeCa wrote:From all my research....forever if you aren't a resident. They are suspicious of non-residents so it may take up until March.
Yeah, their application was a little intense for non-residents. Felt so much like an interrogation that I figured I had no chance and scrapped the app.

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Just wanted to say good luck to all of you. If your not from New Mexico just letting you know it's an awesome place to live. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 am

Yes, I am a resident, so I am hoping that I will hear from them sooner than march. New Lobo, are you a law student here in New Mexico?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 am

nStiver wrote:I just applied. Fire Medic, are you a new mexico resident? When did you apply, and what are your numbers if I may ask?
Applied Nov. 1st.... I am a resident. Numbers are in the profile, but in case you are lazy: 3.05/165. Non-trad with what I have been told is a good PS (I hear that is important for UNM) and some interesting experiences that will make me different from the average white male applying there.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 am

JaLeCa wrote:Applied in about August, still no word.

Advised against it another thread since I have no ties to NM and unsure about living there forever.

Sorry JaLeCa, but my understanding is that if you are out of state you need to have stellar numbers or be URM. And apparently some out of state people do hear back in February from what I have seen before.

If you aren't URM or have stellar numbers, then I would say maybe it is a favor. If you don't want to spend at least the first 5 years, if not the rest, of your career here... well, UNM might be right for you.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:

Sorry JaLeCa, but my understanding is that if you are out of state you need to have stellar numbers or be URM. And apparently some out of state people do hear back in February from what I have seen before.

If you aren't URM or have stellar numbers, then I would say maybe it is a favor. If you don't want to spend at least the first 5 years, if not the rest, of your career here... well, UNM might be right for you.
URM, median LSAT and GPA for school. And I don't mind living in Albuquerque- just never considered it fully.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 am

JaLeCa wrote:
URM, median LSAT and GPA for school. And I don't mind living in Albuquerque- just never considered it fully.
It is, in many ways, a wonderful state. It has some downsides... but where doesn't? :D It is beautiful here, the food is great, and the people are nice.

Just a warning to you, I don't know how much you are hoping for merit aid, but apparently they don't give much. Need based aid looks good... but I'll know more about that in a couple of months probably.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:43 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
It is, in many ways, a wonderful state. It has some downsides... but where doesn't? :D It is beautiful here, the food is great, and the people are nice.

Just a warning to you, I don't know how much you are hoping for merit aid, but apparently they don't give much. Need based aid looks good... but I'll know more about that in a couple of months probably.

Will see. It's still in my list of hopefuls!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:59 am

JaLeCa wrote:

Good luck. I'll buy you a beer if you get in and we can discuss good neighborhoods to live in... and places you would be better off stabbing yourself repeatedly in the junk with a rusty fork than live in.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:02 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

Good luck. I'll buy you a beer if you get in and we can discuss good neighborhoods to live in... and places you would be better off stabbing yourself repeatedly in the junk with a rusty fork than live in.
I'm seriously holding you to that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:44 am

JaLeCa wrote:
I'm seriously holding you to that.

You got it!

And this goes for everyone else from out of state who gets in: I have run 911 calls in the burque for a decade now. I know the good neighborhoods, and I really know the bad ones. I am happy to help.

I can also help with: good bars, good restaurants, and loads of blue collar contacts to get shit done. So please, hit me up when you get into town.

ETA: also happy to help anyone from outside the area needing help... this could be a big change from somewhere like Silver City, for instance.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:02 am

I am from Silver City, funny you should mention that. I have lived in abq for the last 5 years now, how however. Parts of it are extremely nice and parts of it are extremely sketchy. I live in a neighborhood that has million dollar homes one block to the north, and crack-town one block to the south.

Firemedic, are you a student at UNM now? I might know you, its a small world here.

And you have numbers that probably made you a shoe in for UNM. I am also a white male in stater, minus the interesting experiences in my personal statement. I thought my 164 was good for UNM, until I saw your 165 lol.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 am

nStiver wrote:I am from Silver City, funny you should mention that. I have lived in abq for the last 5 years now, how however. Parts of it are extremely nice and parts of it are extremely sketchy. I live in a neighborhood that has million dollar homes one block to the north, and crack-town one block to the south.

Firemedic, are you a student at UNM now? I might know you, its a small world here.

And you have numbers that probably made you a shoe in for UNM. I am also a white male in stater, minus the interesting experiences in my personal statement. I thought my 164 was good for UNM, until I saw your 165 lol.
164 and 165 are statistically indistinguishable. And your 2.9 and my 3.0 are very close. I would give you a 75-90% chance of being admitted, personally. And if you wrote a good PS, it doesn't matter as much if you don't have as many interesting experiences... the ability to write well and make yourself sound interesting is enough.

I haven't gone to UNM in many years, though on and off I did for over a decade. In the end I graduated from NMSU.

It is nice to hear from a fellow New Mexican! I wish you good luck nStiver!!! and I look forward to buying you a beer when we start together in August!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:11 am

Aldenita wrote:I applied, but didn't send in my app until late Dec.

Good luck!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:01 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:

What would count as stellar numbers?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Aldenita wrote:
For UNM... I would say 3.6 or better, and 168 or better. If you are low on one, then you would correspondingly have to raise the other.

Remember, however, that data for this school is limited on both LSN and here... so some of this is guess work.

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
Aldenita wrote:
For UNM... I would say 3.6 or better, and 168 or better. If you are low on one, then you would correspondingly have to raise the other.

Remember, however, that data for this school is limited on both LSN and here... so some of this is guess work.
A 168 seems pretty steep considering that the median LSAT last year was a 156...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Aldenita wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:
Aldenita wrote:

A 168 seems pretty steep considering that the median LSAT last year was a 156...
I know... I think you might be right.... an out of state person with 3.4/166 got accepted last year. It is hard to say for sure, unfortunately, because so few people applying to UNM put their numbers on LSN. Of course the other factor to keep in mind is PS... they apparently put a lot of weight on that, making it a little bit of an x-factor....

So, revised: 3.3+ and 165+.... and it is hard to tell, but my guess from looking at their numbers is that about 75% of the class comes from in-state, either by living here, or by having parents that still live here.

ETA: in case you are curious, I believe that numbers at or above their median, plus being a NM resident = autoadmit. URM + NM residency + numbers at or above their 25% = autoadmit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”