University of New Mexico 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nStiver

Bronze

Re: University of New Mexico 2011

Post by nStiver » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Maybe if I get rejected it will be a blessing in disguise. Anyway, time to start looking real for work anyway. Regardless of whether I get in, I will need a regular job for the summer.

retiree

New

Post by retiree » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Aldenita wrote:
jeffreymabq wrote:Oooh - how formal? I was going to go sportcoat and open collar, but maybe I wear full suit? And, is anyone bringing a guest - I was planning to bring my wife. Anyone else?

Yes, I'm bringing a guest. After looking at the schedule, I really doubt that we have to dress up. This is probably the 10th asd I have attended and none of them required us to wear a suit.
"Not required to wear a suit" is not the same as, "you shouldn't wear a suit." During the day it is less formal, and a sportcoat and open collar are fine. But bring the tie for the reception and dinner. It just makes for a smarter first impression, despite the fact that the dress code in offices in NM is beyond definition, lacking decorum and respect for others. When they say "casual Friday" around here, you almost have to check the calendar to even see whether it is Friday! In short, they give new meaning to "casual" here. Look at the photo on the UNM site for the ASD.

Is it possible that one person could be the lone person wearing a suit (to the reception and dinner)? Possible, but not likely. Look at it this way--you will certainly be remembered, and in a nice way! :)

Go and enjoy the day and evening. If you are not going, watch the season finale of "Harry's Law."

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Aldenita has attended several ASDs so experienced advice is usually the best.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:25 pm

firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:Who's going to be there on Monday? I didn't realize the reception was a formal thing. I'll be driving from Lubbock since I went to ASD at Tech.
I will... I don't think the day will be formal. But I am assuming the reception and dinner will.
How can one part be formal and another part not be if the ASD is from 1-7:30 without breaks? We aren't going to have time to change. I would recommend not being that idiot that shows up in cutoffs and a mullet, but I'm sure something semi-formal would be ok.

retiree

New

Post by retiree » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:40 am

Aldenita wrote:
firemed wrote:
Aldenita wrote:Who's going to be there on Monday? I didn't realize the reception was a formal thing. I'll be driving from Lubbock since I went to ASD at Tech.
I will... I don't think the day will be formal. But I am assuming the reception and dinner will.
How can one part be formal and another part not be if the ASD is from 1-7:30 without breaks? We aren't going to have time to change. I would recommend not being that idiot that shows up in cutoffs and a mullet, but I'm sure something semi-formal would be ok.
I am sorry to have confused some with the terminology, so I will clarify what I said. First of all, the reception and dinner are not "formal" or even "semi-formal." No one will be wearing black tie (definition of formal). So forget those terms. The term I should have used (and meant) is "professional attire." As for 'no time to change,' people who are used to going from work to a special function, that often calls for a minor change in attire, know how to turn a daytime look into a professional or even dressy casual look. Indeed, they keep that extra jacket, tie, and pair of shoes in their cars. For men, that means adding a more tailored jacket (or sportcoat) and tie and ditching the sneakers; for women, it means adding a jacket, perhaps some jewelry, and a little dressier or even a simple pump in the way of shoes (ditch the flip-flops and sneakers). I will repeat: This (reception & dinner) is your first or second opportunity to make a good, lasting first impression--perhaps you have already met some of the professors, administrative staff, etc. Why take a chance? (If you are still not sure, stick the tie in your pocket just in case.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jeffreymabq

New

Post by jeffreymabq » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 am

Ah retiree - you have clearly lived in bigger cities than Burque Burque! Sadly - the dude in cutoffs and a mullet will probably look more appropriate than a suit and tie. Not a reflection on the law school, but on Albuquerque and UNM in general. Such is the life in the land of manana.

Clearly, (besides the name "retiree") you are older, as most people from my generation do not carry a spare suit in their car. I used to get made fun of for keeping a clean, pressed shirt and tie (and extra electric razor) in my office, because you never know...However, I have also gotten good at the "fly by" - discreetly peek in, observe everyone else, and then quickly adjust my attire to match. Probably my own fault - my dad wore 3-piece suits to work every day, and I feel very self-conscious about (usually) being overdressed for anything - that's my own deal to work out, I suppose.

To summarize my ramble - sportcoat and open collar here (no tie in my pocket - they get wrinkled, but I will have one in the car). You can always hang the coat on your chair, and adapt quickly.

PS - I still bet money I am overdressed. But, at least, retiree has made me feel comfortable about it.

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 am

I'll probably be wearing a purple dress, so feel free to come say hello. Oh and I'm 5'9; everything is bigger in Texas.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:43 pm

I am wearing suit pants, and a collared shirt. I'll put on the tie if I feel underdressed, and will put on the coat for the dinner.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Have fun guys. I looked at last years thread and some folks did not get accepted until april 30.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 am

nStiver wrote:Have fun guys. I looked at last years thread and some folks did not get accepted until april 30.

Yeah. And I still wouldn't worry dude. I think they are just holding some until they get deposits. I think they set it up so that they don't have much of a waitlist or accepted applicants list (they get 1200 applications or so, and only accept 200 or so from what they were saying tonight). So your hold is kind of like a waitlist of sorts I think.

On another note, I had a great time. The school is very nice, the professors and deans are very nice, the students seem stressed but very nice (how many times can I use nice in this sentence do you think? :mrgreen: ) Having the working court of appeals there is an awesome opportunity, their clinical program and some of their classes seem amazing (like the one where you get a case and get to prosecute an actual criminal in court!!!!)... and I actually had a lot of fun listening to the civ pro class. I can't wait to take that!

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:44 am

firemed wrote:
nStiver wrote:... court of appeals there is an awesome opportunity, their clinical program and some of their classes seem amazing (like the one where you get a case and get to prosecute an actual criminal in court!!!!)
How do you know if they're a criminal if you haven't prosecuted them yet?

jeffreymabq

New

Post by jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 am

Hahaha - well played

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

A bit of miss quoting there zero seven old pal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:12 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
firemed wrote:
nStiver wrote:... court of appeals there is an awesome opportunity, their clinical program and some of their classes seem amazing (like the one where you get a case and get to prosecute an actual criminal in court!!!!)
How do you know if they're a criminal if you haven't prosecuted them yet?

Technically you are correct. But the whole thing about trees and forests there 207...

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:05 pm

[quote="firemed"
Technically you are correct. But the whole thing about trees and forests there 207...[/quote]

How did you know I was a Forestry major? Ha. I was just having a little fun. You guys would have been a good group this fall.

But ... I just withdrew. Hope someone here gets my spot!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:12 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
firemed wrote: Technically you are correct. But the whole thing about trees and forests there 207...
How did you know I was a Forestry major? Ha. I was just having a little fun. You guys would have been a good group this fall.

But ... I just withdrew. Hope someone here gets my spot!

Did you withdraw because of yesterday (if you were even there)? Or was this decision unrelated?

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm

firemed wrote:

Did you withdraw because of yesterday (if you were even there)? Or was this decision unrelated?
I didn't attend the event yesterday. I couldn't pull it off with work and I just got done with Cali and Utah on consecutive weekends. Related, only in that I won't attend a school I haven't visited and I won't be able to visit before the seat deposit is due.

How did the whole day yesterday go?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:58 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
firemed wrote:

I didn't attend the event yesterday. I couldn't pull it off with work and I just got done with Cali and Utah on consecutive weekends. Related, only in that I won't attend a school I haven't visited and I won't be able to visit before the seat deposit is due.

How did the whole day yesterday go?

It was long but nice. The dinner was good but not amazing. I am disappointed that UNM is still a dry campus, but oh well. It seemed to be geared towards convincing people to come there, with a lot of speeches on how UNM is different/better than other schools, and the opportunities they offered. It also seemed to be a little focused on how UNM will give you an amazing career in New Mexico. Seems like something people should know going in (I mean, did you really think this wasn't a regional school and would give you the opportunities of Harvard?), but hey, whatevs. The CoA there is a really neat opportunity I think, and while they were biased (obviously) they definitely made a great case that provided you were interested in staying in NM they could give you some incredible opportunities.

ETA: the speeches given by the dean, associate dean, and alumni were great. The professors seem really awesome, and really interested in their students. The small community there really seems to bond, and offers unique opportunities that a larger school simply can't match. All the profs and even the appellate judges have open door policies, which I think a lot of schools claim... but probably don't. UNM actually seems to really have an open door policy though.

ETAx2: About the campus... small law school... half gave a massive 70s vibe... old dark hard wood furniture and panelling, old building. The other half was brand new, environmentally friendly, and looks awesome. There is a large area near the enterance called the "forum" where all the law students hang out, talk, surf the net, play ping-pong and foosball, and study. It is like a living room in the middle of the law school. Nice place. All the law students seem stressed, but they all smile a lot, and carry themselves in such a way that indicates they aren't totally broken and destroyed by law school.

jeffreymabq

New

Post by jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

firemed wrote:...I am disappointed that UNM is still a dry campus, but oh well....
You did not go to martini monday at zinc afterwards? I did not see you there - LOL - there was all of 2 of people there - I am certain I would have seen you.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:47 pm

jeffreymabq wrote:
firemed wrote:...I am disappointed that UNM is still a dry campus, but oh well....
You did not go to martini monday at zinc afterwards? I did not see you there - LOL - there was all of 2 of people there - I am certain I would have seen you.

Went to O'Niells, listened to bagpipes and saw people dance. I wish I had known that others were going to zinc... the wife and I and another admit and her boy would've come.

I tried to spot you there... but I missed you I guess. Sorry! See you at orientation I guess. Unless you wanna have a beer first or something. PM me if you do.

jeffreymabq

New

Post by jeffreymabq » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:55 pm

O'Neil's, eh? I guess I chose poorly - as much as I love Zinc (well, the Cellar Bar downstairs) - it was a ghost town. We really were the only two people there. I have not been to the "new" O'Neil's on Central - ever go to Two Fools (the old O'Neil's)?

I, too, did not see you - although I did not look too hard - I was up late studying Sunday, and then did not sleep well - though we had a drink after - I actually went home and was in bed by nine. Honestly, I thought I might doze off during dinner (which, by the way, is the only thing I went to).

As to a beer prior to orientation - let me get through finals - I am in my concentration semester at Anderson, so it is all finance all the time right now, and I'm busy at work. But, after May 15th, I am DEFINITELY down for a beer or two.

EDIT - on second thought, maybe we should start planning a relaxed get-together before orientation. Sounds like we are going to all get REAL friendly the next couple years. Some drinks, apps, meet spouse & boy/girlfriends, etc...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:30 am

jeffreymabq wrote:
EDIT - on second thought, maybe we should start planning a relaxed get-together before orientation. Sounds like we are going to all get REAL friendly the next couple years. Some drinks, apps, meet spouse & boy/girlfriends, etc...

Yeah. That is a very good idea. Late May, early June might be best for everyone. By then decisions will be made, and finals will be over if anyone is still finishing up UG.

unmloblow

New

Post by unmloblow » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:09 am

UNM is not a place you want to be. I wont say too much so that I dont out myself but that school is obviously diminishing in quality. < 50% employment after 9 months? I don't think that is something you want to experience, especially with ~$75K in debt on your shoulders.

And don't think that UNM is "more honest" than other schools when reporting employment. Then considering that, think about what the real numbers could be. Then consider the fact that each graduating class is only 120 students. Would you go to a school that only places ~50 students in 9 mos? Then consider SEVERAL people start out making $39K- $44K.

Again, if you want the inside scoop on UNMSOL, PM me and I will give you the absolute truth on the school. I just hope all of you are going in with your eyes open.

retiree

New

Re: University of New Mexico 2011 (tuition waiver and increase)

Post by retiree » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Did anyone catch the article in the ABQ Journal on Sat. (Apr 9) about grad students and tuition? To quote: "Some out-of-state graduate students at the University of New Mexico could see their tuition rise by 220 percent as collateral damage from a state cut intended to affect online students." (The link below was automatically added to my posting here--I did not add it.)

Read more: ABQJOURNAL NEWS/METRO: Out-of-State Grad Students Get a Break http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/09 ... z1JAmYWkqH
Subscribe Now Albuquerque Journal

The article referenced part-time students, and was not clearly written. There has been a cut to the out-of-state tuition waiver program, and it has to be made up somewhere (besides on the backs of NM taxpayers) from within the university. Students have a reprieve for this year, but university officials don't know about next year. Of course, students can usually apply for residency after a year. Without the waiver, tuition would jump to $800/credit hour. There was no mention whether it also applied to the SOL.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 am

Interesting retiree.

Glad I am not out of state.

Though they did point out at the financial aid talk that tuition hadn't been voted on yet. I got the impression it was going to go up. I know there is serious talk (it may have already happened, for all I know) that an 8% raise in tuition is in the works. If so, that isn't what I want to hear. On the other hand, even if they raised it 10% a year for the next three years my last year would still only be $18K. Not great, but still less than most places.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”