IN at GW c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maglialoro

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby maglialoro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:02 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

maglialoro wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:
Gotti wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:Is anyone else really attracted to GW but too scared of the price tag? Damn their 106 or nothing mindset!

lololololol it's either GW or Fordham at sticker for me. i don't even have a choice unless i want to live in the -24onawarmday tundra that is UMN :(

:(

I feel like I'm thread stalking you.

Anyway, please do take pics! I had written off GW, but it's really starting to sound nice. Arghh. It's going to be an interesting two weeks.

Yes, lots of pics. Im planning to go down the 8th for the asd. I wrote GW off bc of the cost but the reception in NY really is making me think twice now. I was really impressed with the faculty and dean maggs.

kk i'll take lots of pics of Fordham too!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 pm

15K a year in need-based grants for the first year. Anyone know how likely GW would be to give the same/similar amount for 2L and 3L?

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Puttanesca wrote:15K a year in need-based grants for the first year. Anyone know how likely GW would be to give the same/similar amount for 2L and 3L?

For undergrad as long as your FAFSA EFC is the same you got the same need based amount every year.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:10 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:15K a year in need-based grants for the first year. Anyone know how likely GW would be to give the same/similar amount for 2L and 3L?

For undergrad as long as your FAFSA EFC is the same you got the same need based amount every year.

Any reason why with an EFC of 0, GW gave me 0 aid?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Flips88 wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:

How much are your parents worth?

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:16 pm

-

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm

maglialoro wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:

After the age of 21, a persons EFC is only calculated based on your individual income according to FAFSA. However, GW takes into account your parents financial information when calculating their aid package.

That is the more precise way of saying exactly what I just said.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:

How much are your parents worth?

They have a relatively high income, but are drowning in mortgage, car, and credit card payments, paying for my little brother that's in college, etc. This is made evident on NeedAccess, but not on FAFSA. When I emailed GW a long time ago and they told me I had to include parental info they said "It is not used in making federal loan awards, but it is used, whether parents plan to help out or not (they usually aren't at the grad. stage). We are assessing family financial strength, not willingness to pay." I call bullshit, GW.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:How much are your parents worth?

They have a relatively high income, but are drowning in mortgage, car, and credit card payments, paying for my little brother that's in college, etc. This is made evident on NeedAccess, but not on FAFSA. When I emailed GW a long time ago and they told me I had to include parental info they said "It is not used in making federal loan awards, but it is used, whether parents plan to help out or not (they usually aren't at the grad. stage). We are assessing family financial strength, not willingness to pay." I call bullshit, GW.

I said, "I really don't think you need to know my parents' financial situation."

They said, "I really don't think we need to give you financial aid."

I said, "Ok, I'll go to Michigan."

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm

-

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm

maglialoro wrote:It may be bs but if schools just considered a students income for there in house tuition grants then about 95% would be eligible for aid and you would not be able to sort out who really needs aid and who can kinda use it. Although Im not saying you are more able to afford law school than others, your family is in a financial situation where they are more likely to be able to help you then another student whose parents make zippo. Either way, theres just not enough money to go around

Say you have two individuals:

Individual A: Rich parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Just graduated undergrad.
Individual B: Poor parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debts. Just graduated undergrad.
Individual C: Rich parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad.
Individual D: Poor parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad.
Individual E: Rich parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad. Two kids.
Individual F: Poor parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad. Two kids.

I really don't understand how these individuals are any different for the purpose of financial aid. At GW, A, C, & E will not get any aid. B, D, & F will.

Does E deserve aid less than B?

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:32 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:It may be bs but if schools just considered a students income for there in house tuition grants then about 95% would be eligible for aid and you would not be able to sort out who really needs aid and who can kinda use it. Although Im not saying you are more able to afford law school than others, your family is in a financial situation where they are more likely to be able to help you then another student whose parents make zippo. Either way, theres just not enough money to go around

Individual A: Rich parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Just graduated undergrad.
Individual B: Poor parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debts. Just graduated undergrad.
Individual C: Rich parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad.
Individual D: Poor parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad.
Individual E: Rich parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad. Two kids.
Individual F: Poor parents who will not give individual a dime. Will not make any money during law school. Will have to take full COA out in debt. Four years out of undergrad. Two kids.

I really don't understand how these individuals are any different for the purpose of financial aid. At GW, A, C, & E will not get any aid. B, D, & F will.

GW has no way of really knowing that your parents won't give you money. Otherwise evryone would just say their parents will not help them out even if they will.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:34 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

GW has no way of really knowing that your parents won't give you money. Otherwise evryone would just say their parents will not help them out even if they will.

it also misses the point completely. it's not that GWU expects your parents to shell out $200k in cash for your education. they aren't asking your parents to take out any loans, either (unlike undergrad). children with rich parents, IN GENERAL, have better financial support than children with poor parents. that means they can, IN GENERAL, risk taking on more debt.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:36 pm

-

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:37 pm

maglialoro wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

No, its not that he deserves less aid than B. But in my mind, if E went to his parents and said, "hey guys, im a bit short this month for rent or groceries, can you help me out?", his parents are at least in a position to say yes. Someone with poor parents is not in a situation to even consider helping there kid in most cases.

+1

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:38 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:GW has no way of really knowing that your parents won't give you money. Otherwise evryone would just say their parents will not help them out even if they will.

You are absolutely right. They also have no way of knowing that your rich uncle won't give you money. They do not, however, take rich uncles into account.

I'm not saying that there is a right answer and a wrong answer to how to do financial aid. I just don't happen to like GW's answer.

Northwestern has the absolute reverse problem. They do not take anybodies parents into account, so it is incredibly difficult to prove financial need above and beyond the rest of the pool.

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:GW has no way of really knowing that your parents won't give you money. Otherwise evryone would just say their parents will not help them out even if they will.

You are absolutely right. They also have no way of knowing that your rich uncle won't give you money. They do not, however, take rich uncles into account.

I'm not saying that there is a right answer and a wrong answer to how to do financial aid. I just don't happen to like GW's answer.

Northwestern has the absolute reverse problem. They do not take anybodies parents into account, so it is incredibly difficult to prove financial need above and beyond the rest of the pool.

I guess it also makes a difference if you know GW.... A ton of kids at GW undergrad and GW law school have parents who can and are paying for all of their schooling (I know about 10 kids at GW law school and all of their parents are paying for school). In this case I understand why GW asks for parental information because they have a huge amount of kids whose parents can and are paying for school

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:43 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

also keep in mind that the vast majority of law schools have taken the following approach to need-based aid: don't give any.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm not saying I expected the full $16k/yr, but I expected something . American gave me $10k/yr in need-based aid and they're astronomically less well endowed than GW. I'm just not a fan of GW's merit money and need-based money allotment. It leaves a lot of people with a lot and a lot of people with nothing.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:46 pm

fatduck wrote:also keep in mind that the vast majority of law schools have taken the following approach to need-based aid: don't give any.

This.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:47 pm

fatduck wrote:also keep in mind that the vast majority of law schools have taken the following approach to need-based aid: don't give any.

As weird as it is to say it, I think I prefer the don't give any + LRAP approach.

You know who needs aid? People who go into public service and are making 50k or less after graduation.

You know who doesn't need aid? People who graduate from law school and start their careers making $160,000.

The only way to figure that out is to wait until after with a good LRAP.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:47 pm

-

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm

-

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

As weird as it is to say it, I think I prefer the don't give any + LRAP approach.

You know who needs aid? People who go into public service and are making 50k or less after graduation.

You know who doesn't need aid? People who graduate from law school and start their careers making $160,000.

The only way to figure that out is to wait until after with a good LRAP.

+1 on this front actually

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”