IN at GW c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
PuckCU06
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby PuckCU06 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Alright, someone please recap... what's so special about the Aston? Is it just where a lot of people choose to live, or is it especially nice? Is it "dorm" housing? I'm from DC, and if I pick GW I'll be trying to live with my current roommate off campus, but super close....

-Ally

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:29 pm

PuckCU06 wrote:Alright, someone please recap... what's so special about the Aston? Is it just where a lot of people choose to live, or is it especially nice? Is it "dorm" housing? I'm from DC, and if I pick GW I'll be trying to live with my current roommate off campus, but super close....

-Ally


It's on-campus housing for 1Ls only, but the rooms are single-occupancy studio apartments. Teoeo was kind enough to post a video showing what a room looks like.

It's not especially nice but it's definitely comparable to similarly-priced housing in the area.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:28 pm

bump

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Just got my packet. Handwritten note "You are an outstanding candidate. I applaud you for your commitment to serving others. I hope you will join us." However, no $$ whatsoever. Has it been confirmed that anyone received a scholarship letter offer in the packet this week?


I spoke with the admissions office after an earlier round. They say that money is out and if you didn't get it in your packet you are unlikely to get it later.

They helpfully recommend talking to the financial aid office about the need-based aid they offer.


Just wanted to update everyone. When I spoke with them in January regarding the availability of merit-based aid, they recommended that I call back at the beginning of March. The hope was that some money might free up at that point if people were turning down scholarships. I called back today and was told that they are out of scholarship money.

If you were holding out hope for a second round of scholarship offers. It seems hopeless.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby aaaaaah » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Has anyone received a need-based offer yet?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm

aaaaaah wrote:Has anyone received a need-based offer yet?

there was a post on the website saying they would not begin making need-based aid decisions until march...so hopefully soon

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby aaaaaah » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:22 pm

fatduck wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:Has anyone received a need-based offer yet?

there was a post on the website saying they would not begin making need-based aid decisions until march...so hopefully soon


Thanks for the info!

Lord_Roy
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby Lord_Roy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:23 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Just got my packet. Handwritten note "You are an outstanding candidate. I applaud you for your commitment to serving others. I hope you will join us." However, no $$ whatsoever. Has it been confirmed that anyone received a scholarship letter offer in the packet this week?


I spoke with the admissions office after an earlier round. They say that money is out and if you didn't get it in your packet you are unlikely to get it later.

They helpfully recommend talking to the financial aid office about the need-based aid they offer.


Just wanted to update everyone. When I spoke with them in January regarding the availability of merit-based aid, they recommended that I call back at the beginning of March. The hope was that some money might free up at that point if people were turning down scholarships. I called back today and was told that they are out of scholarship money.

If you were holding out hope for a second round of scholarship offers. It seems hopeless.


Well, that complicates things... I really like GW but the cost is pretty extreme... I know I'm not saying anything new, just wanted to say SHIIIIIIIT!

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 pm

There have got to be more admitted GW students on the forums. Why are we so underrepresented on here?

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby dcbound » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:44 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:There have got to be more admitted GW students on the forums. Why are we so underrepresented on here?



Between this and the other thread, I keep telling myself that not as many people are as interested in GW this cycle and tons of people are going to withdraw who have been accepted.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm

dcbound wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:There have got to be more admitted GW students on the forums. Why are we so underrepresented on here?



Between this and the other thread, I keep telling myself that not as many people are as interested in GW this cycle and tons of people are going to withdraw who have been accepted.


If it helps at all, I withdrew last week!

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby dcbound » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
dcbound wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:There have got to be more admitted GW students on the forums. Why are we so underrepresented on here?



Between this and the other thread, I keep telling myself that not as many people are as interested in GW this cycle and tons of people are going to withdraw who have been accepted.


If it helps at all, I withdrew last week!



Image

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 pm

dcbound wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
dcbound wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:There have got to be more admitted GW students on the forums. Why are we so underrepresented on here?



Between this and the other thread, I keep telling myself that not as many people are as interested in GW this cycle and tons of people are going to withdraw who have been accepted.


If it helps at all, I withdrew last week!



Image


I'm actually not at all sure what emotion that image is supposed to be relaying. Verbalize?

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby dcbound » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm pointing at you and smiling as if to say "Thanks pal"

LOL I thought it seemed more obvious than it does I guess...

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 pm

dcbound wrote:I'm pointing at you and smiling as if to say "Thanks pal"

LOL I thought it seemed more obvious than it does I guess...


It was more that it could have been that or it could have been a very sarcastic. "Thanks asshole!"

dcbound
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby dcbound » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:18 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
dcbound wrote:I'm pointing at you and smiling as if to say "Thanks pal"

LOL I thought it seemed more obvious than it does I guess...


It was more that it could have been that or it could have been a very sarcastic. "Thanks asshole!"



Not at all what I meant. Sorry dude, things on the internet don't always translate well.

So anyway: Thanks pal...

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 pm

dcbound wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
dcbound wrote:I'm pointing at you and smiling as if to say "Thanks pal"

LOL I thought it seemed more obvious than it does I guess...


It was more that it could have been that or it could have been a very sarcastic. "Thanks asshole!"



Not at all what I meant. Sorry dude, things on the internet don't always translate well.

So anyway: Thanks pal...


No worries. I've been around the internet block once or twice.

I was really digging GW as I already live near GW and it would have been easy. My hope was that they would give me a scholarship and I could live happily ever after. Instead, Michigan gave me $15,000 a year and GW gave me nothing. Made my decision really easy.

ku1185
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby ku1185 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm totally digging GW and while I'm still waiting for other schools, the cost is really worrying me. I got no $$, and even with need-based aid (which I've not yet gotten word of), it's going to be a little crazy taking on that kind of debt. The only thing that's keeping my hope alive is that I want to do PI, but I don't even know if I'll be any successful at that given the type of field I want to go into. Time to read up on ICR/IBR/whatever else I can find.

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby LttleBlakDress » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Does anyone have the url for the admitted students site? Thanks!

gwlaw2L
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby gwlaw2L » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Anyone coming to DC earlier and looking for a place to rent during the summer (May 15th-August15th)? I'm a 2L at GW and will be working in NY this summer (yes, many got offers) so need to sublet my room. If you're interested lemme know! Thanks.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby akili » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Just withdrew. Hope my spot goes to one yall (if it works that way :) )

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby BBeauty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:34 pm

ku1185 wrote:I'm totally digging GW and while I'm still waiting for other schools, the cost is really worrying me. I got no $$, and even with need-based aid (which I've not yet gotten word of), it's going to be a little crazy taking on that kind of debt.

+1

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby FalafelWaffle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 pm

gwlaw2L wrote:Anyone coming to DC earlier and looking for a place to rent during the summer (May 15th-August15th)? I'm a 2L at GW and will be working in NY this summer (yes, many got offers) so need to sublet my room. If you're interested lemme know! Thanks.


Congrats on the job! I might be in DC, depending, but may I ask how your experience was with OCI/the grades needed to secure your position?

User avatar
ktg808
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby ktg808 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:47 am

Didn't realize this thread existed, but I got accepted a couple of weeks ago with no $$. Very disappointing as GW has always been one of my favorite schools. I'm planning to withdraw.

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby LttleBlakDress » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Does anyone know where we can find our GW student id numbers?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, blackmamba8, Daaltaraan, genjustice, zeglo and 14 guests