IN at GW c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fatduck

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby fatduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:26 pm

oh, random tip:

it appears that you can put your name on the list for the Aston without having sent in your seat deposit

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm

fatduck wrote:oh, random tip:

it appears that you can put your name on the list for the Aston without having sent in your seat deposit

Thanks! Just email the housing office?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

JTMan wrote:

yes, I don't want to post the guy's email address here but it's in the admissions packet on the sheet that talks about the Aston

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
JTMan wrote:

yes, I don't want to post the guy's email address here but it's in the admissions packet on the sheet that talks about the Aston

Thank you I've been concerned about that. I'm likely to go to GW but its still not for sure yet.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:28 am

Last edited by bender18 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Astounded at my offer. $30k/yr plus Aston first year. I was happy just to get in, but hopefully this is a sign of good things to come at the T14s I applied to.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:31 pm

So is GWs goal to have a third of it's class on 75% scholly and the other 2/3rds racking up massive crushing debt? This is seriously frustrating and annoying. :x :x

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Flips88 wrote:So is GWs goal to have a third of it's class on 75% scholly and the other 2/3rds racking up massive crushing debt? This is seriously frustrating and annoying. :x :x

Dude, word. Honestly, if it comes down to it, my BC acceptance is looking a lot better than this one.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:So is GWs goal to have a third of it's class on 75% scholly and the other 2/3rds racking up massive crushing debt? This is seriously frustrating and annoying. :x :x

Yes, that seems like the plan.

Barring a large lottery win, Im going to tell them where they can shove it. I REALLY want to go, but Im not going to take on $200K+ in debt to do it. Thanks but no thanks...

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Yeah, I'm accepted at schools way higher in rankings, and have money from lower (including full ride one spot beneath GW). It's strange. I mean, even if I really, really wanted GW, it would just be unreasonable.

Tinkerz Belle

Postby Tinkerz Belle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Is there any use in hoping some money will be freed up? ...or is it just foolish of me to think that maybe the people who have been offered schollies will opt for a higher ranked LS

...fingers crossed

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 am

Tinkerz Belle wrote:Is there any use in hoping some money will be freed up? ...or is it just foolish of me to think that maybe the people who have been offered schollies will opt for a higher ranked LS

...fingers crossed

yea except a lot of the people offered $ will not withdraw until seat deposit time at which point GWU doesn't have a whole lot of incentive to extend scholly offers to people who have already paid their seat deposits as it's likely you've already decided to attend. obviously people do withdraw after paying seat deposits but i imagine it's not a large percentage.

also apparently i love run-on sentences

condra

Postby condra » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:13 am

Last edited by condra on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:17 am

condra wrote:
Tinkerz Belle wrote:Is there any use in hoping some money will be freed up? ...or is it just foolish of me to think that maybe the people who have been offered schollies will opt for a higher ranked LS

...fingers crossed

If someone is admitted to GW Law and is offered a scholarship, the $$$ is not transferable. So, if that applicant were to decline the offer of admission, the $$$ originally allocated to him or her does not to go anyone else.

I know it sounds odd, but that's what the financial aid office told me. They do a very good job at letting you know that you should have pretty much no hope for merit $$$ if you didn't already get one, because of the way their budget works (didn't quite understand the details of that).

:( :(

in that case it seems that they are doing the right thing by not offering $$$ to people with extremely good numbers (people who are unlikely to attend even with a full ride)

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 am

That's interesting. I wonder why they do their scholarships differently than other schools.

condra

Postby condra » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 am

Last edited by condra on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerz Belle

Postby Tinkerz Belle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:43 am

condra wrote:

...fingers crossed

If someone is admitted to GW Law and is offered a scholarship, the $$$ is not transferable. So, if that applicant were to decline the offer of admission, the $$$ originally allocated to him or her does not to go anyone else.

I know it sounds odd, but that's what the financial aid office told me. They do a very good job at letting you know that you should have pretty much no hope for merit $$$ if you didn't already get one, because of the way their budget works (didn't quite understand the details of that).

This is just awful. :evil: GW ... just kidding. I love you, give me money please :D

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:47 am

Tinkerz Belle wrote:
condra wrote:

...fingers crossed

This is just awful. :evil: GW ... just kidding. I love you, give me money please :D

The school extends wayyyyy more $ than they actually have, and they assume that many people will reject their school. so it makes sense that if you didn't get one in the first place, you likely won't get it at all.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:51 am

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:56 am

maglialoro wrote:
jeremysen wrote:
The school extends wayyyyy more $ than they actually have, and they assume that many people will reject their school. so it makes sense that if you didn't get one in the first place, you likely won't get it at all.

Jeremy, is that a fact or opinion and if so, whats the source?

I think that's how most schools work. Look at Illinois this year. They are tossing out 90k-120k/year all over the place. Now if all the people that they have offered the $120k full rides matriculated, then they'd probably be pretty screwed

Tinkerz Belle

Postby Tinkerz Belle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 pm

jeremysen wrote:
Tinkerz Belle wrote:
condra wrote:

...fingers crossed

This is, of course, what I assume and am prepared for, but, can a girl dream? I am in no way sitting around waiting for more money to come my way since they haven't offered it within a month of my acceptance letter, but it would be much appreciated. Sometimes a school will surprise you. For example, in the case of Cardozo, most TLSers got notice of a scholly money at the time of acceptance. I assumed that I hadn't been offered anything and was quite surprised. I received a letter 2-3 weeks later with a named merit scholarship. Just saying, it is a possibility. Odds are certainly stacked against those of us who haven't received anything yet, but I will hold on to my sliver hope until the end.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:39 am

fatduck wrote:
JTMan wrote:

Lost my packet but would really like to do this... can you pm it please?

minuit

Postby minuit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 am

Deuce wrote:
fatduck wrote:
JTMan wrote:

Lost my packet but would really like to do this... can you pm it please?

Deuce! Thinking about GW??

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:46 pm

This is what GW scholarship offer system makes me do: :roll: :? :x :? :x :evil: :evil: :cry:

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm

minuit wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Deuce! Thinking about GW??

Haha it's on my short list... how bout you?

Also- I e-mailed to put my name on the Aston, and in his response dude noted that if you got the 106k scholly you're guaranteed a spot so no rush or anything.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”