IN at GW c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
androstan

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Postby androstan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:41 pm

akw009 wrote:GWU you make me sad. I'm WL with 3.55/167 (top ugrad). Sort of falling out of love, although I do quite like DC.

It's weird, they're accepting average students, WLing strong applicants or accepting with no $, and giving super strong applicants tons of money.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:43 pm

I'm curious what everyone finds so appealing about DC. I've never lived there but have always enjoyed visiting it (I'm a total museum nerd). My image of it, though, is that it has all the big city problems of NY or LA without the diversity. For people who are dead-set on a DC school, what's your motivation?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 pm

androstan wrote:
akw009 wrote:GWU you make me sad. I'm WL with 3.55/167 (top ugrad). Sort of falling out of love, although I do quite like DC.

It's weird, they're accepting average students, WLing strong applicants or accepting with no $, and giving super strong applicants tons of money.

it's weird if you look at LSN there are a ton of waitlists on the 167 LSAT mark

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:47 pm

GW isn't giving much schollies. Along with the fact that lots of people are being accepted with lower numbers, it's clear GW lacks the $$$ to give stronger applicants.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:I'm curious what everyone finds so appealing about DC. I've never lived there but have always enjoyed visiting it (I'm a total museum nerd). My image of it, though, is that it has all the big city problems of NY or LA without the diversity. For people who are dead-set on a DC school, what's your motivation?

I personally like DC because it's actually not that big...it's got the big city feel of NYC/LA with the population of Atlanta

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:I'm curious what everyone finds so appealing about DC. I've never lived there but have always enjoyed visiting it (I'm a total museum nerd). My image of it, though, is that it has all the big city problems of NY or LA without the diversity. For people who are dead-set on a DC school, what's your motivation?

I've lived in DC for the past 4.5 years and I love it. Its a great city for young, educated people like ourselves. It has the conveniences of a big city without being as large as NYC or LA. Personally, I would never live anywhere outside of NW, but I love this city and would not mind living here for the next 5-10 years.

To me, the appeal is the city itself, not the work here. I am not interested in working for the government or getting into the federal court system. DC is a lovely place to live if you end up in one of the nicer neighborhoods.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Um, it's a very diverse city, first of all. It has tons of great restaurants with every type of cuisine you could ever want (American, French, Ethiopian, Cuban, Peruvian, Italian). It's the epicenter of American and world politics. It's the legal center of the US (Congress, Supreme Court) It's a pretty clean city from my personal experiences with DC, NYC, and Chicago. The metro is super simple and clean. It's a young person's city: young professionals are the engine of the city. It has a strong music and art scene. There are 1000s things to do for free in the city.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 pm

androstan wrote:

Dunno about this... I got the 106k and I certainly wouldn't call myself a super strong applicant :lol:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Um, it's a very diverse city, first of all. It has tons of great restaurants with every type of cuisine you could ever want (American, French, Ethiopian, Cuban, Peruvian, Italian). It's the epicenter of American and world politics.

certainly not as diverse as nyc though, I think was the point

akw009

Postby akw009 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:48 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I've lived in DC for the past 4.5 years and I love it. Its a great city for young, educated people like ourselves. It has the conveniences of a big city without being as large as NYC or LA. Personally, I would never live anywhere outside of NW, but I love this city and would not mind living here for the next 5-10 years.

To me, the appeal is the city itself, not the work here. I am not interested in working for the government or getting into the federal court system. DC is a lovely place to live if you end up in one of the nicer neighborhoods.

I live in VA now, and moved here to be close to DC. I love that it's a young person's city, but I'm also interested in the non-gov PI work around here.. nonprofits, think tanks, in counsel, etc.etc.

ETA, deuce what are you stats? (so I can feel even worse about my WL :) )

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 am

Deuce wrote:
androstan wrote:

Dunno about this... I got the 106k and I certainly wouldn't call myself a super strong applicant :lol:

You probably have a 3.8+ or a 170+, which means big money at GW this cycle.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:05 am

Does scholarship info come when they call you??

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:20 am

Gotti wrote:Does scholarship info come when they call you??

Call? It's supposed to be an extra letter in the admission mail package, one which very few people seem to be getting this year.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 am

Flips88 wrote:
Gotti wrote:Does scholarship info come when they call you??

Call? It's supposed to be an extra letter in the admission mail package, one which very few people seem to be getting this year.

Oh my bad I was thinking of BU cause they called me not too long after I got the GW email. Sorry! :oops:

Okay well it should take like a weekish for the GW acceptance packet so I'll keep everyone posted lol

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:48 am

Oops repeat post

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:57 am

fatduck wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Um, it's a very diverse city, first of all. It has tons of great restaurants with every type of cuisine you could ever want (American, French, Ethiopian, Cuban, Peruvian, Italian). It's the epicenter of American and world politics.

I certainly don't mean to knock the city; that's just my sort of image of it. But after 2 years in LA and 3 in Tokyo I'm afraid my standards might be kind of high on that front... :oops: It does sound like there's lots to recommend it though! Thanks to all for your opinions~

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:19 am

bigjinjapan wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I certainly don't mean to knock the city; that's just my sort of image of it. But after 2 years in LA and 3 in Tokyo I'm afraid my standards might be kind of high on that front... :oops: It does sound like there's lots to recommend it though! Thanks to all for your opinions~

DC is fantastic...apart from the art scene and government/political aspects of it, there are always cultural events going on (screen on the green, jazz/ice skating in the sculpture garden, etc.), a huge array of young people in a very small area, and a good music scene (thinking particularly of 930 club and Black Cat). As long as you live in the District itself, you can probably get a cab home from any of the best nightlife areas for less than $20.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 pm

Deuce wrote:
androstan wrote:

Why wouldn't you call yourself super strong?

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Um, it's a very diverse city, first of all. It has tons of great restaurants with every type of cuisine you could ever want (American, French, Ethiopian, Cuban, Peruvian, Italian). It's the epicenter of American and world politics. It's the legal center of the US (Congress, Supreme Court) It's a pretty clean city from my personal experiences with DC, NYC, and Chicago. The metro is super simple and clean. It's a young person's city: young professionals are the engine of the city. It has a strong music and art scene. There are 1000s things to do for free in the city.

Thank you. I love DC because it is also not "sprawling." Compared to cities I've been to/lived in, it is very, very compact, and the metro makes almost all of the city accessible (notable exception being Georgetown, but it's a short walk from Foggy Bottom or even Dupont). If I go to GW I will probably not live in Foggy Bottom. Dupont is my first choice if I want to live *in* the city--I just like the neighborhood more. Columbia Heights because some non-law student friends live there. Penn Quarter is pretty cool too. As for outside the city, Rosslyn is directly across the Potomac from GW, a single metro stop away if I recall.

I also like how easy it is to get to Reagan from the city. Not unique, I know, to have subway to airport access, but by far my best experience with it.

Oh well, back to work. I do have another semester of college to go after all.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:57 pm

fatduck wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Yeah, well, NYC is also the largest city in the country. LA is pretty diverse too. There are lots of regions of the country that are pretty homogeneous, but DC is not one of them. If DC is not "diverse" enough for you, I just...I just...don't get it. There's plenty to do. Maybe not as much as NYC, but I find myself overwhelmed when I'm in New York. DC is just right.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm

I also don't understand the comparison between LA and DC. They are nothing alike. LA is much, much bigger. It is also much more spread out, with comparatively subpar mass transit, and has some of the most ridiculous urban sprawl in the country. And the traffic. If pure diversity is your only rubric, then yes, move to LA or NYC. But that doesn't make much sense to me. What are the big city problems you reference? I know you're assuming the point is self-evident, I'm just curious as to what exactly you're referring to.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Im going to take a look at the school this week. I live in DC and sadly never made the trip across town to see it, and I dont want to wait until ASW to see if I like the vibe there. Hopefully the tour/class visit makes me feel even better about GW.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im going to take a look at the school this week. I live in DC and sadly never made the trip across town to see it, and I dont want to wait until ASW to see if I like the vibe there. Hopefully the tour/class visit makes me feel even better about GW.

is "ASW" at GWU just what they call "preview day" - looks like friday, April 8th?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm

fatduck wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im going to take a look at the school this week. I live in DC and sadly never made the trip across town to see it, and I dont want to wait until ASW to see if I like the vibe there. Hopefully the tour/class visit makes me feel even better about GW.

is "ASW" at GWU just what they call "preview day" - looks like friday, April 8th?

Yeah. Its just one day all day on the 8th. But by then I would have already decided which school I am going to go to, so I dont want to go ahead and pick GW without having been there already.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:22 pm

fatduck wrote:

Yes and it's also 1 week before their first seat deposit is due.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”