IN at GW c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Diamond

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:12 pm

lateblooming wrote:
Flips88 wrote: You clearly wrote it thinking it'd be hilarious because [racist language redacted] sounds and looks like n****r. Funny? not really. Mature? not really (even on TLS, and that's saying something). Show a little more restraint next time.
The pinnacle of maturity: taking offense to a word that sounds naughty.
The pinnacle of maturity: thinking you're hilarious for saying a word that sounds/looks very simliar to the most despised word in the English language.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Flips88 wrote:
lateblooming wrote:
Flips88 wrote: You clearly wrote it thinking it'd be hilarious because [racist language redacted] sounds and looks like n****r. Funny? not really. Mature? not really (even on TLS, and that's saying something). Show a little more restraint next time.
The pinnacle of maturity: thinking you're hilarious for saying a word that sounds/looks very simliar to the most despised word in the English language.
I've got to agree with flips here. There are many words for cheap that aren't homophones with racial epithets. You certainly could have said "way to be cheap." It is a question of judgement, why use a word that MIGHT cause offense if there is an equally useful word that will NOT cause offense.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 pm

bk187 wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
lateblooming wrote:really, moderators? [racist language redacted] is a bad word now?
Context I guess. I didn't get the feeling that you were trying to make a pun (which would be a little inappropriate), but people do abuse the word because of how it sounds. If we were discussing specific people whom we knew were African American, it would be dubious and probably offensive, but [racist language redacted] is a valid word with no etymological relationship whatsoever to the slur it sounds like.
While this may be true, I see no reason why one shouldn't err on the side of caution on not use it in a public place where there is a decent chance people may take offense (even if it isn't justified).
That's the kicker for me. I refuse to kowtow to people being unreasonably offended. I'd rather start a long, bitter argument than not use the word I want to use-it hurts my pride and sense of freedom to self-censor.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
lateblooming wrote:really, moderators? [racist language redacted] is a bad word now?
Context I guess. I didn't get the feeling that you were trying to make a pun (which would be a little inappropriate), but people do abuse the word because of how it sounds. If we were discussing specific people whom we knew were African American, it would be dubious and probably offensive, but [racist language redacted] is a valid word with no etymological relationship whatsoever to the slur it sounds like.
While this may be true, I see no reason why one shouldn't err on the side of caution on not use it in a public place where there is a decent chance people may take offense (even if it isn't justified).
You clearly wrote it thinking it'd be hilarious because [racist language redacted] sounds and looks like n****r. Funny? not really. Mature? not really (even on TLS, and that's saying something). Show a little more restraint next time.
How do you know what his intent is? He feels as though GW is stingy with financial aid. The word, a valid English word of I believe Norwegian origin (though don't quote me) fits.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:28 pm

2011Law wrote:
I got a 24hr ban for saying the "g" word, obviously meaning stupid, not homosexual. In any case, I won't say that I've had lots of homosexual friends, because I haven't, but I've known many, and I'm pretty sure that when they'd say their sexual orientation they'd say they were (insert "g" word), not homosexual.

tls moderators are so (insert "g" word).
I neither condone nor condemn your use of the "g word", but I feel as though there are two different situations. The word gay can mean either homosexual or happy-it's not a word whose official OED meaning is to express displeasure. Whereas the word [racist language redacted] has been around with its current denotation for quite some time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:30 pm

2011Law wrote:
I got a 24hr ban for saying the "g" word, obviously meaning stupid, not homosexual. In any case, I won't say that I've had lots of homosexual friends, because I haven't, but I've known many, and I'm pretty sure that when they'd say their sexual orientation they'd say they were (insert "g" word), not homosexual.

tls moderators are so (insert "g" word).
And for invoking language you know not to use, you're so (insert "b" word).

Everyone else: Please get back on-topic so you don't get ("b" word) too.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:33 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
lateblooming wrote:
I've got to agree with flips here. There are many words for cheap that aren't homophones with racial epithets. You certainly could have said "way to be cheap." It is a question of judgement, why use a word that MIGHT cause offense if there is an equally useful word that will NOT cause offense.
I agree that one should be judicious, but you're starting to cross the line here. What, do we completely strike the word [racist language redacted] from the English language or at least our common usage merely because it sounds like a bad word? I would understand if someone were very blatantly using it to describe members of a certain race, or very clearly trying to make a pun, but you have no right to tell someone to adjust their vocabulary. So you get to be the PC police? It's a matter of diction. Maybe he thought long and hard and the word [racist language redacted] was the only word out of all the other alternatives that expressed his opinion adequately. Or maybe he didn't think about it at all. As long as the intent to offend or be controversial is not there, it's shitty and self-righteous to monitor someone's choice of words.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

And for the record I completely agree that some people abuse the fact that [racist language redacted] sounds like another word. Many people do. But I'm not going to let those people dictate how I speak or write.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Seriously. The on-topic forums are not for debating the limits of offensive language. Bans to whoever continues this, from this post on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Sorry vanwinkle didn't see your post. Back to topic-who's going April 8th? Trying to make last minute travel arrangements that don't require me to sell my organs

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:36 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Sorry vanwinkle didn't see your post. Back to topic-who's going April 8th? Trying to make last minute travel arrangements that don't require me to sell my organs
unfortunately i have an exam, so i won't be able to make it. i visited a couple weeks ago and did a short tour, but i'm disappointed i won't get a chance to meet other admits :|

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm

fatduck wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Sorry vanwinkle didn't see your post. Back to topic-who's going April 8th? Trying to make last minute travel arrangements that don't require me to sell my organs
unfortunately i have an exam, so i won't be able to make it. i visited a couple weeks ago and did a short tour, but i'm disappointed i won't get a chance to meet other admits :|
I might make travel arrangements for a less expensive week. I don't really mind not seeing the faculty/alumni panel and meeting my fellow admits (though I'd prefer to), as long as I can at minimum tour the facilities/harangue some students. Anyone know if you can get a tour of the Aston during a regular day?

ktg808

Bronze

Post by ktg808 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 pm

lateblooming wrote:
bk187 wrote: While this may be true, I see no reason why one shouldn't err on the side of caution on not use it in a public place where there is a decent chance people may take offense (even if it isn't justified).
haha... them's big words to drop in a law school forum ;)

zero financial aid, my "award" was 74k in loans.

Withdrawal sent. Good luck everyone.

I figured my "award" would be the same. Hence why I withdrew last Friday. Ohh well, GW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:46 pm

11k in need-based grants with EFC ~5k

lateblooming

New

Post by lateblooming » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 pm

apologies for the aforementioned shenanigans... I meant no offense and it wasn't meant to be a pun, just frankly the best word I have to describe someone who is stingy.

on topic:

is anyone looking at GWU sticker? I don't even think the full 16k need-based aid would have swayed me...

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 pm

lateblooming wrote:apologies for the aforementioned shenanigans... I meant no offense and it wasn't meant to be a pun, just frankly the best word I have to describe someone who is stingy.

on topic:

is anyone looking at GWU sticker? I don't even think the full 16k need-based aid would have swayed me...
I may have considered with the max b/c it would have been about the same as Vandy for me, but with an offer of $0, there's basically a .5% chance I attend.

Autoaccept

New

Post by Autoaccept » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 am

Got 6k/year in financial aid yesterday. I've decided on going to GW at sticker. Big scholarship at W&L but having lived in DC I think it will really make a difference to be a GW grad as opposed to W&L. Looking for apartments now. Heads up for anyone interested- there are a lot of pretty good English basement situations for under $1000 in Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 am

you guys should make your way over to the GW 2014 thread in the class forum! :D

sargell83

Bronze

Post by sargell83 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:06 pm

btw the deposit deadline is april 15, right?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:06 pm

sargell83 wrote:btw the deposit deadline is april 15, right?
yep. $500 make you holla

sargell83

Bronze

Post by sargell83 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:10 pm

thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:42 pm

visiting/touring next Monday ... i'll take pictures!

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 pm

Is anyone else really attracted to GW but too scared of the price tag? Damn their 106 or nothing mindset!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:47 pm

aaaaaah wrote:Is anyone else really attracted to GW but too scared of the price tag? Damn their 106 or nothing mindset!
lololololol it's either GW or Fordham at sticker for me. i don't even have a choice unless i want to live in the -24onawarmday tundra that is UMN :(

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Gotti wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:Is anyone else really attracted to GW but too scared of the price tag? Damn their 106 or nothing mindset!
lololololol it's either GW or Fordham at sticker for me. i don't even have a choice unless i want to live in the -24onawarmday tundra that is UMN :(
:(

I feel like I'm thread stalking you.

Anyway, please do take pics! I had written off GW, but it's really starting to sound nice. Arghh. It's going to be an interesting two weeks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”