IN at GW c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelaststraw05

Silver

IN at GW c/o 2014

Post by thelaststraw05 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:20 pm

I thought I'd start a thread for those of us who have been accepted at GW so we can discuss things without rubbing it in the noses of those who have not yet been accepted. The first big wave has been released over the last week and a half and letters have begun to arrive.

Has anyone been able to log into the admitted students website or is everyone getting a message that says:

8/13/2010 -- The self-registration system is no longer available. Admitted students for Fall 2010 will be issued their credentials during orientation.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Post by T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:12 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:I thought I'd start a thread for those of us who have been accepted at GW so we can discuss things without rubbing it in the noses of those who have not yet been accepted. The first big wave has been released over the last week and a half and letters have begun to arrive.

Has anyone been able to log into the admitted students website or is everyone getting a message that says:

8/13/2010 -- The self-registration system is no longer available. Admitted students for Fall 2010 will be issued their credentials during orientation.
I'm also getting this. Kind of funny that the sheet in the packet encourages us to log in, and the site doesn't. I'm sure it'll be up relatively soon into the new year though.

I mentioned this in the waiting thread, but COA is estimated at $74k-$75k... that is SUPER expensive. I know it was ~$70k this year, but that's more expensive than even Georgetown at ~$68k this year, let alone schools in other cities...

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:24 pm

Just joining in for now :-).

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:04 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:I mentioned this in the waiting thread, but COA is estimated at $74k-$75k... that is SUPER expensive. I know it was ~$70k this year, but that's more expensive than even Georgetown at ~$68k this year, let alone schools in other cities...
To be fair GW's tuition is $43,999 and GULC is $45,105. The primary difference is probably the cost of living. It just means that GW's students can take out more loans if they want to; you can take out less (and I plan to).

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:11 am

In, was hoping for merit money. I'm trying to decide between GW, GULC and UVA, cost of attendance is is going to be the primary factor for me since I'm not interested in biglaw jobs. I'm wondering how likely it is to get significant money after the initial acceptance. Most schools seem to give out the big dollars upon acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 pm

How long did it take for you to get your packet? I got accepted 12/22 and am still waiting very impatiently. I am on the West Coast so I figured it would take longer but come onnnnn

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:31 pm

JTMan wrote:How long did it take for you to get your packet? I got accepted 12/22 and am still waiting very impatiently. I am on the West Coast so I figured it would take longer but come onnnnn
It was mailed Wednesday morning I believe. I received it on Thursday (just outside of D.C.). So I would expect it to come on Monday or Tuesday if it did not arrive today.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
JTMan wrote:How long did it take for you to get your packet? I got accepted 12/22 and am still waiting very impatiently. I am on the West Coast so I figured it would take longer but come onnnnn
It was mailed Wednesday morning I believe. I received it on Thursday (just outside of D.C.). So I would expect it to come on Monday or Tuesday if it did not arrive today.
Hmm, I'll have to hope its at my apartment in Chicago then. We'll see tomorrow. GW will definitely be out without a HUGE scholarship. My 1st cousin is a 2L going through recruitment (top quarter of his class) and he said big firms won't even look at his application.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:57 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:I thought I'd start a thread for those of us who have been accepted at GW so we can discuss things without rubbing it in the noses of those who have not yet been accepted. The first big wave has been released over the last week and a half and letters have begun to arrive.

I'm also getting this. Kind of funny that the sheet in the packet encourages us to log in, and the site doesn't. I'm sure it'll be up relatively soon into the new year though.
Just updating that the GW site still is not available.

It seems odd that a lot of GULC admits aren't getting any kind of financial aid from GW. Most people who have the binary choice between GULC at sticker and GW at sticker would choose GULC. Maybe they are holding off on sending out most of their scholarship packages until after they decide how many full-ride EDs they want to do?

I know that they usually give out between 25 and 35, but the difference between 25 and 35 full-rides is about 20 half-rides.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:18 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Just updating that the GW site still is not available.
The new message on the admitted students website now reads:

1/3/2011 -- The self-registration system will be available soon. Please check back.

Jdazz87

New

Post by Jdazz87 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14 pm

I got the e-mail on 12/22 and got my package today. I was really excited at the personalized note, but really bummed at no scholarship letter. I'm a 167 and a 3.65 with strong upward trend. I thought I would get something based on that, considering that when I applied to Illinois (which I think is comparable ranking-wise, although after reading I guess they're known for giving out craploads of money) last year (I opted not to attend after visiting the cornfield university) offered 22 or 25k/year. I emailed my financial aid counselor asking if I might be offered a letter later, cause I'm seriously considering going here. I just don't want to pay sticker price (yes, cause of the money factor, but also largely cause of the bragging factor).

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:22 am

Jdazz87 wrote:I got the e-mail on 12/22 and got my package today. I was really excited at the personalized note, but really bummed at no scholarship letter. I'm a 167 and a 3.65 with strong upward trend. I thought I would get something based on that, considering that when I applied to Illinois (which I think is comparable ranking-wise, although after reading I guess they're known for giving out craploads of money) last year (I opted not to attend after visiting the cornfield university) offered 22 or 25k/year. I emailed my financial aid counselor asking if I might be offered a letter later, cause I'm seriously considering going here. I just don't want to pay sticker price (yes, cause of the money factor, but also largely cause of the bragging factor).

Take a look at the numbers of people who got scholarships. They all have stronger numbers than you do.
This year : http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants
Last year: http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?&p=2

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

This may be a stupid question, but... does anyone know where your "account #" is for the purposes of signing up at the admitted students portal?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Gratz guys, hope to see some of you here next year!

iknownothing

New

Post by iknownothing » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:This may be a stupid question, but... does anyone know where your "account #" is for the purposes of signing up at the admitted students portal?
lol that would be your LSAC #

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:36 pm

iknownothing wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:This may be a stupid question, but... does anyone know where your "account #" is for the purposes of signing up at the admitted students portal?
Wow, stupid me haha. I didn't even think to try that. Honestly, I thought it was something they included in the packet and that I couldn't find. Thanks.

iknownothing

New

Post by iknownothing » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:40 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
iknownothing wrote:
Wow, stupid me haha. I didn't even think to try that. Honestly, I thought it was something they included in the packet and that I couldn't find. Thanks.
Ha, no problem. I've come to associate everything that asks for an "account number" with my LSAC#, which can be problematic... and a little sad. :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Just out of curiousity who is seriously considering accepting? I'm still waiting to hear back from my REACH schools but GW was always my realistic first choice and given the scholarship money I don't think it's a deal Im going to pass up, hahaha.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:02 pm

iknownothing wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
iknownothing wrote:
Ha, no problem. I've come to associate everything that asks for an "account number" with my LSAC#, which can be problematic... and a little sad. :|
I completely missed that. Thank you for helping me log in. I didn't want to ask in case it was obvious.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 am

So, early reviews are in. And this website is... not so helpful.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:50 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:So, early reviews are in. And this website is... not so helpful.
Yeah... could have accessed everything except for RSVPing for Admitted Students stuff, without having been admitted...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:52 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:So, early reviews are in. And this website is... not so helpful.
Yeah... could have accessed everything except for RSVPing for Admitted Students stuff, without having been admitted...
And there is no admitted student stuff on campus until APRIL. Like a week before the seat deposit is due.

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:54 pm

I want pictures of these Aston dorms. Also did anyone get the housing stipend for it? Are we guaranteed a spot do you know or is it just first come first serve still?

Haliburton

New

Post by Haliburton » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:08 pm

In the other thread, people were saying that even a 105k scholarship could leave you with a lot of debt. That's the scholly they offered me, but I'm not interested in big law. So maybe GW isn't for me? But I have a question. The housing stipend is between 15-16k. Can you live for cheaper in the DC area? Anybody know?

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Haliburton wrote:In the other thread, people were saying that even a 105k scholarship could leave you with a lot of debt. That's the scholly they offered me, but I'm not interested in big law. So maybe GW isn't for me? But I have a question. The housing stipend is between 15-16k. Can you live for cheaper in the DC area? Anybody know?
Well even if you can, isn't their housing stipend specifically tied to Aston? And if it's only for one year anyway, you can explore other options after your first year.
But yeah, until I got my admit packet I had no idea COA was anywhere near as high in DC as in NYC. I mean, it makes sense, but I never thought they would be equal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”