de-admitted for bad grades

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

de-admitted for bad grades

Postby bergg007 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:58 pm

does anyone know about being un-admitted if you get bad grades in a semester after you were admitted to LS? I got a d+ in a class ( I'm like 2 points from the C-) and the teacher is willing to let me do some make up and get a c- or better if I can prove that law schools will de admit me for that grade. someone please help me find that info!

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:01 pm

it's more than likely that they'll keep you admitted.. it won't affect your overall gpa enough

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Did your acceptance letter say "Contingent on satisfactory completion of degree" or something of that nature?

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby bergg007 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:03 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Did your acceptance letter say "Contingent on satisfactory completion of degree" or something of that nature?


No, but I think that's implied. a D+ is a low pass at my school though so I'll still graduate

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:04 pm

bergg007 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Did your acceptance letter say "Contingent on satisfactory completion of degree" or something of that nature?


No, but I think that's implied. a D+ is a low pass at my school though so I'll still graduate

Your problem is that completion =/= satisfactory completion. I don't think you really have anything to bring to the professor, but I also don't think that the law school will care.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:13 pm

bergg007 wrote:does anyone know about being un-admitted if you get bad grades in a semester after you were admitted to LS? I got a d+ in a class ( I'm like 2 points from the C-) and the teacher is willing to let me do some make up and get a c- or better if I can prove that law schools will de admit me for that grade. someone please help me find that info!

Call the admissions office. You're probably fine, but you'll feel better when they tell you. Call them up, explain what happened, and if it's a problem, let them know you've already inquired about a solution.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:16 pm

Will this drop you below the GPA median?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:17 pm

It is unlikely that either Tennessee or Houston will rescind your acceptance for one bad grade in a course--both need your LSAT to help their medians & your LSDAS GPA was already below both schools' medians. It may, however, affect consideration for merit awards.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby Sandro » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:20 pm

yea chances are if you've already been admitted you arent even close to being on the fringe at the schools - otherwise you would be held for further review or waitlisted. dont sweat it.

nickwar
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby nickwar » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:27 pm

I don't know why they'd do that.

Either way, just don't tell them until the last minute you're allowed to. Our transcripts were due like the day before classes started. No way they drop you at that point.

Gaming the system isn't cheating the system.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: de-admitted for bad grades

Postby justhockey31 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:36 pm

I can't believe they would actually de-admit you...I was always under the impression that the only reason schools asked for your final transcript was to make sure you actually graduated UG




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hellohalo, potterotter, ramp_999, spursforever and 20 guests