Seattle University 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mhd08

Re: Seattle University 2011

Postby mhd08 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Hey all, I'm a 1L at Pitt but I was admitted to SU last year and just wanted to offer some advice to anyone who's unfamiliar with the PNW. I'm from the east coast (NJ specifically) and was really interested in moving to a city with a more outdoorsy type environment, so I applied to SU on a whim. When I got in I decided to fly out to Seattle and check out the school (they do offer a travel stipend). I absolutely fell in love with SU and Seattle in general. I highly recommend visiting if you've never been. In the end, my decision came down to money + proximity to family, but if it wasn't for that combination, I'd probably be at SU now. Seriously, go visit if you have the chance and ask about the travel stipend. I believe they gave me $250.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

any movement? my status checker says in review decision pending...I applied 1/15

upfish

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:53 pm

ADMITTED!! :D

Edit for the future curious: 2.75/168, URM.

Sent: 12/21/10
LSN deleted my completion date, so I don't remember it, but I think it was early January.
Last UR date was 2/1, I believe.

clarsen

Postby clarsen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:28 pm

upfish wrote:ADMITTED!! :D

LSN deleted my completion date, so I don't remember it, but I think it was early January.

Congrats! Although, with URM + high LSAT, I would guess you will be attending somewhere else?

I also like to see that you applied in December...It probably means they are working their way through the winterbreak applications!
Last edited by clarsen on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

upfish

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:37 pm

clarsen wrote:
upfish wrote:ADMITTED!! :D

Congrats! Although, with URM + high LSAT, I would guess you will be attending somewhere else?

I also like to see that you applied in December...It probably means they are working there way through the winterbreak applications!

Honestly, not really sure. I wasn't positive I'd get URM status, so I didn't apply as high up as I might've been able to go. =/ I'm still waiting on UW, and barring nearly full tuition from SU I would go there if I got in. But I don't know how likely that is.

Really want PNW though.

Good luck everybody! =D

dey206

Postby dey206 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:59 am

congrats on ur acceptance!

upfish

Postby upfish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 pm

dey206 wrote:congrats on ur acceptance!

Thanks! ^_^

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Anyone been successful negotiating more scholly/no stipulations?A little more $ would really seal the deal at Seattle.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:57 pm

IamAskier wrote:Anyone been successful negotiating more scholly/no stipulations?A little more $ would really seal the deal at Seattle.

I applied and was accepted last year w/a scholarship. I negotiated it up a couple thousand, but because of my awful credit and short notice, couldn't move. (hence the re-app.) So, it can be done. =)

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 pm

upfish wrote:When I got in I decided to fly out to Seattle and check out the school (they do offer a travel stipend)

Did you have to ask about the travel stipend? My admission information didn't include anything about it.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 pm

I haven't tried to negotiate my scholarship yet because I'm just waiting to see if I get into UW. To be honest I'd rather pay sticker at UW than a full ride at SU. I'm just very concerned about SU's job prospects.

Even if I don't get in to UW, I don't think I would consider SU unless I can negotiate them into a full ride with much looser stipulations, and I doubt they'd go for that.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 pm

upfish wrote:
IamAskier wrote:Anyone been successful negotiating more scholly/no stipulations?A little more $ would really seal the deal at Seattle.

I applied and was accepted last year w/a scholarship. I negotiated it up a couple thousand, but because of my awful credit and short notice, couldn't move. (hence the re-app.) So, it can be done. =)

Thats great news, could ask how you went about it? Is a non-entitled email kindly asking if theres anymore available aid sufficient?

upfish

Postby upfish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 pm

IamAskier wrote:
upfish wrote:

Thats great news, could ask how you went about it? Is a non-entitled email kindly asking if theres anymore available aid sufficient?

Pretty much. I emphasized my desire to attend based on some unique characteristics of the school that were in line w/what I wanted (strong anti-corporate bent of the school, etc.), but noted that because of the economy, I would need more of a financial incentive if I were going to uproot my life from Texas to make the move and attend. I made it as nice as possible, and they were very accommodating. When I found out I couldn't attend, they actually called and discussed future options with me. It was pretty cool.

kitchuel

Postby kitchuel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:20 pm

To anyone having status checker issues. I submitted my application 1/21 and sent my certification letter the same day. E-mailed 2/1 asking about a status checker. They told me my application was completed 1/31. I FINALLY recieved my status checker today and apparently my application has been in review since 1/27.

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 am

kitchuel wrote:To anyone having status checker issues. I submitted my application 1/21 and sent my certification letter the same day. E-mailed 2/1 asking about a status checker. They told me my application was completed 1/31. I FINALLY recieved my status checker today and apparently my application has been in review since 1/27.

Thank you for sharing.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 am

still in review, decision pending as of 1/27 come on Seattle!! :x

sveritas

Postby sveritas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:10 pm

I noticed a few people talking about negotiating for more scholarship money...I wasn't aware that it was negotiable. How would I go about doing this? Any advice?

Thanks!

upfish

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 am

Received my admit packet today. It came w/a window sticker, which is cool.

I got an $18k Presidential something Scholarship (don't have it w/me so I don't remember the name), but that doesn't do a whole lot for debt in the long run. Contingent on top 25% status as well.

Still waiting out UW...

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Does anyone know if Seattle University stacks all of the scholarship students in one section, like some schools do?

Is anyone brave enough to ask?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

In with 6K first year and then renewable for next two years depending on grades.

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:21 am

Adjudicator wrote:Does anyone know if Seattle University stacks all of the scholarship students in one section, like some schools do?

I have heard they do from one alum and that they don't by another. I also asked this question at an info session back in October and was told they do not.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:09 pm

jrmartin wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Does anyone know if Seattle University stacks all of the scholarship students in one section, like some schools do?

I have heard they do from one alum and that they don't by another. I also asked this question at an info session back in October and was told they do not.

Thanks. Well, that's good, then. A Jesuit school wouldn't lie, would they?

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 pm

upfish wrote:
IamAskier wrote:
upfish wrote:

Pretty much. I emphasized my desire to attend based on some unique characteristics of the school that were in line w/what I wanted (strong anti-corporate bent of the school, etc.), but noted that because of the economy, I would need more of a financial incentive if I were going to uproot my life from Texas to make the move and attend. I made it as nice as possible, and they were very accommodating. When I found out I couldn't attend, they actually called and discussed future options with me. It was pretty cool.

Denied yesterday regarding my negotiation attempt.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:30 pm

It doesn't sound like Seattle U is negotiating very much on the scholarships this year, based on what people are saying.

I wrote them about it and they apparently are reviewing my scholarship offer. I'm hoping that my very generous scholarship offer from a T20 school might make a difference; I mentioned it and they requested a copy, so perhaps they will be inspired to match it? I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

What about the stipulation? Do they ever drop that? It's such a deal-breaker for me, I don't know if I can get past it.

uwer99

Postby uwer99 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm

does anyone know what's up with the access admission program?

my wife received notification that her application is being considered for this program, but she applied for the night program as she plans to keep working during law school. her numbers are fairly decent for SU - low 160s lsat and 3.45 gpa from UW (with a strong 6-year work history), so we're confused by this latest update. especially since it looks like the aa program is full-time, she doesn't have a disability or a significantly diverse cultural background, and is not a minority...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”