Creighton for Fall of 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jer.smith83

New

Creighton for Fall of 2011

Post by jer.smith83 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Didn't see any threads for Creighton so thought I'd check. I applied on 11/15 and my status has been "Under Review" since 11/16. Called the admissions counselor (Julie) who was VERY helpful. She said that they are holding my file until mid-January to make a decision. Anyone else?

deja

Bronze

Re: Creighton for Fall of 2011

Post by deja » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:02 pm

jer.smith83 wrote:Didn't see any threads for Creighton so thought I'd check. I applied on 11/15 and my status has been "Under Review" since 11/16. Called the admissions counselor (Julie) who was VERY helpful. She said that they are holding my file until mid-January to make a decision. Anyone else?
I heard back (accepted) in early December, by mail. I didn't get any sense of their regular decision-making timeline though.

lilnorway7

New

Post by lilnorway7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Hey all,

I go to Creighton as an undergrad. I want to tell all of you that CU Law sucks and that you will not get a job out of it. I only know one person who goes there and he thinks he is hot shit but - he goes to CU Law. Game over.

End story, get out while you still can. I walk past that law school every day to class and all the kids talk about how they wish they would've attended USD law school. SEE YA

Mod edit: Coming into a waiting thread to rail against that school is a bannable offense. But this post is from two years ago and this poster hasn't logged in in years, so no further mod action is necessary.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:29 pm

lilnorway7 wrote:Hey all,

I go to Creighton as an undergrad. I want to tell all of you that CU Law sucks and that you will not get a job out of it. I only know one person who goes there and he thinks he is hot shit but - he goes to CU Law. Game over.

End story, get out while you still can. I walk past that law school every day to class and all the kids talk about how they wish they would've attended USD law school. SEE YA
I don't know anything about Creighton, but you all should ignore this guy, he's a troll. Actually, mods, can you just ban him? Look at his posts and you'll see why.

lilnorway7

New

Post by lilnorway7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

A complete list of rules has not been created. I wouldn't be so presumptuous with your accusations. Trolls aren't as easily identifiable as you might believe. Cheers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:59 pm

lilnorway7 wrote:A complete list of rules has not been created. I wouldn't be so presumptuous with your accusations. Trolls aren't as easily identifiable as you might believe. Cheers.
I applied as a super-safety school. It's amusing to see the animosity that a ding letter causes towards the school. I believe your comments should be here.

Cmoss

New

Post by Cmoss » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:45 pm

i know a couple of grads of CU law and they are doing VERY well for themselves, granted they relied heavily on their existing network to land jobs.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 pm

My status checker says decision rendered Feb 4th and student ID mailed on the 7th. Looks like I'm in, wonder how much $$$ they'll throw my way.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 pm

75% of tuition for 2011-2012. That's it? Would have expected something for all 3 years. Will likely be withdrawing, hope my scholly money goes to you guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:39 pm

kkklick wrote:75% of tuition for 2011-2012. That's it? Would have expected something for all 3 years. Will likely be withdrawing, hope my scholly money goes to you guys.
They seriously offered you a 1 year only scholarship??

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Yup, considering St. Louis offered me 63K, I find this offer a bit strange.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 am

kkklick wrote:Yup, considering St. Louis offered me 63K, I find this offer a bit strange.

It's your GPA. If you would've had a 3.5+ they would give you something for all 3. Not to mention, at schools like creighton that are small privates they place a lot of emphasis on single alumni scholarships that you apply for after your 1L year and you use your grades for. I find your elitist attitude strange though. Don't knock the hustle.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:23 am

typ3 wrote:I find your elitist attitude strange though. Don't knock the hustle.
:|

How do I have an elitist attitude? Was just wondering how their scholly system works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:29 am

kkklick wrote:
typ3 wrote:I find your elitist attitude strange though. Don't knock the hustle.
:|

How do I have an elitist attitude? Was just wondering how their scholly system works.
I don't really find it elitist. I've gotten scholarship offers from 5 schools so far and each of them has a stipulation for keeping the scholarship beyond the first year. I find it strange that a school would even offer money if it's only for one year. Scholarships are suppose to entice a person to attend that particular school, but when the offer isn't even comparable to any others, I don't see much point in even considering it. Unless of course your numbers are just terrible and you're lucky to get anything. In that case, I'd be happy with even a one year scholarship.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 am

^^ Thanks, my stats are 3.47/163, so way above their medians. Was expecting more but no problem I will be turning down the offer so I hope my scholly goes to you jayman!

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 pm

kkklick wrote:^^ Thanks, my stats are 3.47/163, so way above their medians. Was expecting more but no problem I will be turning down the offer so I hope my scholly goes to you jayman!
Thanks. I'm 3.81/162 so I hope I get a full. It's honestly only a backup at this point. UNL only offered 16k/yr with top 1/3 stipulation and I'm OOS, so I didn't feel that it was very competitive. I'd go to Creighton on a full only if I decided I wanted to stay closer to home and Iowa doesn't come through with any $$.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 pm

jayman6 wrote:
kkklick wrote:^^ Thanks, my stats are 3.47/163, so way above their medians. Was expecting more but no problem I will be turning down the offer so I hope my scholly goes to you jayman!
Thanks. I'm 3.81/162 so I hope I get a full. It's honestly only a backup at this point. UNL only offered 16k/yr with top 1/3 stipulation and I'm OOS, so I didn't feel that it was very competitive. I'd go to Creighton on a full only if I decided I wanted to stay closer to home and Iowa doesn't come through with any $$.
I applied because for other reasons, but I'm in at Windsor in Ontario so I will likely be pulling the plug on all my US apps except Wake Forest. The St. Louis offer is going to be hard to turn down though... Anyways good luck at Iowa, you have solid stats thats a nice GPA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 am

I dig Creighton.

Well, at least their admissions department. They've been A+ in their dealings with me, and have revisited my scholarship situation twice.

Are the job prospects really that awful coming out of Creighton? Do they place pretty well with the bigger Omaha firms?

If I don't mind practicing at a small or mid-sized firm in Nebraska, is Creighton a bad choice?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:02 am

ineptimusprime wrote:I dig Creighton.

Well, at least their admissions department. They've been A+ in their dealings with me, and have revisited my scholarship situation twice.

Are the job prospects really that awful coming out of Creighton? Do they place pretty well with the bigger Omaha firms?

If I don't mind practicing at a small or mid-sized firm in Nebraska, is Creighton a bad choice?
If you can go to unl go to unl. The alumni network and legal resources (both library and faculty) are larger and it places just as well in omaha, and better in the rest of and out of the state. Most if not all the clerkships in neb come from UNL. Plus being in lincoln is nice b/c there are some big law places from NY/chicago firms have satellite offices here close to the legislator that you can do summer clerks at. Although, they pay like 18-22k a summer, you have to compete against kids from HYS/t-14 for spots. I have heard a few top 5-10% unl students getting them though, never heard of a creightonian getting a spot.

Plus, UNL's ranking will increase once they start getting Big10 dollars and more joint partnerships with the cia/stratcom. Considering the chancellor of the school is the former dean of the law school (83-98), you can should be confident that the legal program is at the forefront of university agenda.

I'm not sure theres biglaw firms in Nebraska. The largest I know of are Kolley Jessen & Cline Williams. They will hire grads from both but there is probably a 65/35 split for U. Nebraska grads. However, from what I know of family who work in the the larger omaha firms, they will hire you from creighton if you're top 15% and do a stellar job during summer clerk, but go a little deeper in class ranking at Nebraska (top 20 or 25%)

If you really want to set yourself apart for a larger Omaha job get a dual degree with an MBA or MA in finance, straight words from an exec for the neb bar. Since Omaha is sort of a fledgling capital hub, you can land a job a lot easier with a business background or some other marketable specialty like biochem / biology / chemistry undergrad degree or masters for the few firms that deal with the local ethanols and biotechs.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:47 pm

I withdrew from Creighton. Their scholarship offer wasn't what I needed. UNL was still about $20k cheaper.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:05 am

I'll be withdrawing as well this week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 am

typ3 wrote: If you can go to unl go to unl. The alumni network and legal resources (both library and faculty) are larger and it places just as well in omaha, and better in the rest of and out of the state.
This.

Another big firm in Omaha: http://www.kutakrock.com/

expressway

New

Post by expressway » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Does Creighton only send correspondence by regular mail? My status checker changed to "decision letter mailed" this morning.

I did notice that the requirements listed updated itself to "first deposit received/second deposit received/final transcript received", so I don't know if that means anything...

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:26 pm

expressway wrote:Does Creighton only send correspondence by regular mail? My status checker changed to "decision letter mailed" this morning.
Yes
expressway wrote: I did notice that the requirements listed updated itself to "first deposit received/second deposit received/final transcript received", so I don't know if that means anything...
I'm pretty sure it means you're in.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:36 pm

expressway wrote:Does Creighton only send correspondence by regular mail? My status checker changed to "decision letter mailed" this morning.

I did notice that the requirements listed updated itself to "first deposit received/second deposit received/final transcript received", so I don't know if that means anything...
I had that then a few days later go my acceptance packet. Pretty sure this means you're in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”