Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby dreakol » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 pm

LISTEN UP! whatever you do in your life, DO NOT listen to derrminater.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby justadude55 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 pm

FrOhara1213 wrote:I just received my first admissions decision (a rejection) out of the 8 Law Schools I applied to. Not only was it my "safety" school, but I received the admissions decision a mere 13 days after submitting my application. The rejection is a huge disappointment on many levels. For one, I honestly believed getting into SUNY Buffalo law school would be NO PROBLEM. My LSAT scores are fairly low (148) but I managed a 3.6 UGPA and 4.0 in grad school, all while working full-time. The thought that this is just the start of a long chain of rejections (from places like Brooklyn, Syracuse, Temple, Northeastern and Fordham) turns my stomach.

Is 13 days an unusually short amount of time for a committee to render an admissions decision? Has anyone in this forum known of an applicant being rejected from a less competitive school right off the bat only to receive acceptance/wait-list to a more competitive school later on? I tried looking for similar situations but could not find any. Given my credentials and the length of time from submission of application to decision would you read this news as an omen or a fluke?

Thoughts please!

13 days is unusually short, and with a 148 nothing is safe. a 3.6 isn't such an amazing GPA in this process. u really want to get a minimum 160 before u start LS unless your fam is rich or you knocked up a girl whose dad is a partner at a big firm.

hate to break it to you, but you are about to get rejected from all of them especially if you're not a minority. it's literally 0% probability. why don't you retake the LSAT? no one cares about your grad school GPA. it's great you worked f/t. i did too, but no one cares. even with working f/t, a 3.7 from a kid who hasn't worked a day is better than your 3.6.

i know i sound really mean, but i'm just being honest with you man. i will bet you a thousand dollars (pm me if you really want to take the bet cause i'm up for it, pending it being legal) with 10:1 odds that no school accepts you from the ones you listed.

i am sure you're a nice guy and would add perspective with your masters, but it might be in your interest they don't accept you. if the best you can manage is a 148, how are you going to perform in a place like fordham?

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby Malcolm8X » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:31 am

justadude55 wrote:
FrOhara1213 wrote:I just received my first admissions decision (a rejection) out of the 8 Law Schools I applied to. Not only was it my "safety" school, but I received the admissions decision a mere 13 days after submitting my application. The rejection is a huge disappointment on many levels. For one, I honestly believed getting into SUNY Buffalo law school would be NO PROBLEM. My LSAT scores are fairly low (148) but I managed a 3.6 UGPA and 4.0 in grad school, all while working full-time. The thought that this is just the start of a long chain of rejections (from places like Brooklyn, Syracuse, Temple, Northeastern and Fordham) turns my stomach.

Is 13 days an unusually short amount of time for a committee to render an admissions decision? Has anyone in this forum known of an applicant being rejected from a less competitive school right off the bat only to receive acceptance/wait-list to a more competitive school later on? I tried looking for similar situations but could not find any. Given my credentials and the length of time from submission of application to decision would you read this news as an omen or a fluke?

Thoughts please!

13 days is unusually short, and with a 148 nothing is safe. a 3.6 isn't such an amazing GPA in this process. u really want to get a minimum 160 before u start LS unless your fam is rich or you knocked up a girl whose dad is a partner at a big firm.

hate to break it to you, but you are about to get rejected from all of them especially if you're not a minority. it's literally 0% probability. why don't you retake the LSAT? no one cares about your grad school GPA. it's great you worked f/t. i did too, but no one cares. even with working f/t, a 3.7 from a kid who hasn't worked a day is better than your 3.6.

i know i sound really mean, but i'm just being honest with you man. i will bet you a thousand dollars (pm me if you really want to take the bet cause i'm up for it, pending it being legal) with 10:1 odds that no school accepts you from the ones you listed.

i am sure you're a nice guy and would add perspective with your masters, but it might be in your interest they don't accept you. if the best you can manage is a 148, how are you going to perform in a place like fordham?



Ouch! And you put money on it?!

A lot of people on here want to work for Biglaw, but this type of job requires people skills that they need to improve upon.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:58 am

glewz wrote:
glewz wrote:Given adequate time & prep. it is highly likely that a 148 can improve substantially.


Of course, you know yourself best, but I wanted to post this information for encouragement. The statistics are in your favor according to an LSAC published document: http://lsac.org/JD/PDFs/RepeaterData.pdf

Test takers who previously scored 148 have scored the following upon repeat:

1 person scored 120-129
17 people scored 130-139
785 people scored 140-149
1153 people scored 150-159
35 people scored 160-169
1 person scored 170-180


very interesting find on repeat test takers! Now I know statistically the highest probability of what my Dec retake will be!

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:02 am

For once I'm going to bite my tongue and let your rejection letters speak for me.

Retake or flee to Mexico.

That is all.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby justadude55 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:05 am

Malcolm8X wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
FrOhara1213 wrote:I just received my first admissions decision (a rejection) out of the 8 Law Schools I applied to. Not only was it my "safety" school, but I received the admissions decision a mere 13 days after submitting my application. The rejection is a huge disappointment on many levels. For one, I honestly believed getting into SUNY Buffalo law school would be NO PROBLEM. My LSAT scores are fairly low (148) but I managed a 3.6 UGPA and 4.0 in grad school, all while working full-time. The thought that this is just the start of a long chain of rejections (from places like Brooklyn, Syracuse, Temple, Northeastern and Fordham) turns my stomach.

Is 13 days an unusually short amount of time for a committee to render an admissions decision? Has anyone in this forum known of an applicant being rejected from a less competitive school right off the bat only to receive acceptance/wait-list to a more competitive school later on? I tried looking for similar situations but could not find any. Given my credentials and the length of time from submission of application to decision would you read this news as an omen or a fluke?

Thoughts please!

13 days is unusually short, and with a 148 nothing is safe. a 3.6 isn't such an amazing GPA in this process. u really want to get a minimum 160 before u start LS unless your fam is rich or you knocked up a girl whose dad is a partner at a big firm.

hate to break it to you, but you are about to get rejected from all of them especially if you're not a minority. it's literally 0% probability. why don't you retake the LSAT? no one cares about your grad school GPA. it's great you worked f/t. i did too, but no one cares. even with working f/t, a 3.7 from a kid who hasn't worked a day is better than your 3.6.

i know i sound really mean, but i'm just being honest with you man. i will bet you a thousand dollars (pm me if you really want to take the bet cause i'm up for it, pending it being legal) with 10:1 odds that no school accepts you from the ones you listed.

i am sure you're a nice guy and would add perspective with your masters, but it might be in your interest they don't accept you. if the best you can manage is a 148, how are you going to perform in a place like fordham?



Ouch! And you put money on it?!

A lot of people on here want to work for Biglaw, but this type of job requires people skills that they need to improve upon.

Are you suggesting that being honest means one has no people skills?

Does outright lying suggest one has better skills? This is not a professional setting. No one knows who I am. I am going to hold by my personal ethics, and not lie to another man.

Does Alec Baldwin's character in Glengary Glennross have poor people skills? This is an adult, not a child. If he wanted someone to lie and make him feel better he should have went to a strip club or cried to his mother. I presume he wanted honesty.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby dpk711 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:20 am

T-30 or bust
165+ or bust

just my opinion on law school applications

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby Malcolm8X » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:23 am

justadude55 wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
FrOhara1213 wrote:I just received my first admissions decision (a rejection) out of the 8 Law Schools I applied to. Not only was it my "safety" school, but I received the admissions decision a mere 13 days after submitting my application. The rejection is a huge disappointment on many levels. For one, I honestly believed getting into SUNY Buffalo law school would be NO PROBLEM. My LSAT scores are fairly low (148) but I managed a 3.6 UGPA and 4.0 in grad school, all while working full-time. The thought that this is just the start of a long chain of rejections (from places like Brooklyn, Syracuse, Temple, Northeastern and Fordham) turns my stomach.

Is 13 days an unusually short amount of time for a committee to render an admissions decision? Has anyone in this forum known of an applicant being rejected from a less competitive school right off the bat only to receive acceptance/wait-list to a more competitive school later on? I tried looking for similar situations but could not find any. Given my credentials and the length of time from submission of application to decision would you read this news as an omen or a fluke?

Thoughts please!

13 days is unusually short, and with a 148 nothing is safe. a 3.6 isn't such an amazing GPA in this process. u really want to get a minimum 160 before u start LS unless your fam is rich or you knocked up a girl whose dad is a partner at a big firm.

hate to break it to you, but you are about to get rejected from all of them especially if you're not a minority. it's literally 0% probability. why don't you retake the LSAT? no one cares about your grad school GPA. it's great you worked f/t. i did too, but no one cares. even with working f/t, a 3.7 from a kid who hasn't worked a day is better than your 3.6.

i know i sound really mean, but i'm just being honest with you man. i will bet you a thousand dollars (pm me if you really want to take the bet cause i'm up for it, pending it being legal) with 10:1 odds that no school accepts you from the ones you listed.

i am sure you're a nice guy and would add perspective with your masters, but it might be in your interest they don't accept you. if the best you can manage is a 148, how are you going to perform in a place like fordham?



Ouch! And you put money on it?!

A lot of people on here want to work for Biglaw, but this type of job requires people skills that they need to improve upon.

Are you suggesting that being honest means one has no people skills?

Does outright lying suggest one has better skills? This is not a professional setting. No one knows who I am. I am going to hold by my personal ethics, and not lie to another man.

Does Alec Baldwin's character in Glengary Glennross have poor people skills? This is an adult, not a child. If he wanted someone to lie and make him feel better he should have went to a strip club or cried to his mother. I presume he wanted honesty.


Not at all. I am not suggesting that being honest means that you have no people skills. BUT you can be honest with a lot more grace. It's about being charismatic and using your large vocabulary to string some sentences together to form CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. No hand holding or diaper changing needed.

My suggestion to the OP, as a URM, aim to take the test one more time and shoot for a 5-7pt increase. Those schools that you named will be more within your reach. Nothing is a shoe-in with your stats but nothing is an automatic dismissal. I knew someone who went to Wake Forest Law school with a 149 but they had a killer PS. If your PS and softs are as on point, then you might just make it into some of those schools. But study, study, study (find the time even if you're working and do like 15 timed PT's) to boost that score up a bit. It's just 10-12 questions you're missing. Good luck!

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby justadude55 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:32 am

how big is the URM diff? i was searching on LSP for a friend of mine who is African American and was looking at what schools he could apply to if he could apply to if he got a certain score, and it was not as big as this site leads you to believe. he went from weak consider to consider, if even that. Is this accurate generally?

also, is OP URM?

as per grace, this is TLS. trust me, my business e-mails are entirely professional. i am giving him the same honesty i would hope my girlfriend gives me when i ask her how i look. i've been ripped apart on here many times, all for the best in my app process. i got better feedback that led to better results through being insensitively ripped apart than at the pre-law office at my overpriced UG. admittedly, asking him to bet was mean, but the 0% chance is accurate. it is just fact.

it is not being unprofessional. if you go up to a girl in a bar and she does not like you one bit, is it unprofessional for her to say, you have a 0% chance of sleeping with me. is it really better if she lets you down easy? are you only upset because you can relate to once having a low score, and know what it's like to have some asshole be candid or do you genuinely see this being unprofessional?

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:27 am

There wasn't anything wrong with what you said, and there's no need to explain or defend yourself. TLS is a place where honesty isn't cushioned and padded. If the OP wanted that, she should have gone to her counselor's office for half-truths and warm fuzzies.

Sometimes the truth of a situation can only be wholly conveyed with a cold tone. Here are the facts; even with a 160, the OP stands a very weak (i.e., <30% even as a URM) chance of acceptance to Fordham. That's 12 points above her original score. It would be better to have a 162+. Wake Forest =/= Fordham; that sort of comparison is useless for this situation. Also, while the OP should of course retake it, the data must not be skewed; retakers with 148s get, on average, a 150 upon retake. Best of luck to the OP, but it goes without saying - law is not for everyone, especially in this economy.

Finally, that jab about biglaw was laughable. I shouldn't have to explain that TLS is full of posters who don't hold any punches online yet still get biglaw. Yahoo Answers is that way if you want half-truths enshrouded in feel-good vibes.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:05 am

To play devil's advocate [because I like to :wink: }, I believe that there are a number of factors that could make an applicant's LSAT not the best indicator for their performance within a law career (i.e. standardized test trauma, untimely tragedy, simple lack of preparation due to work/family/etc.). Therefore I do not think that someone who scores <160 LSAT should be an auto-ding for law and re-evaluate their whole chosen career path. Having said that, OP, if you are 100% committed to law school, I say devote all resources you have to studying+retaking the LSAT. Given the status of the current legal market, it would behoove you [OP] to study and get a score knowing you have truly given it "your best shot". The LSAT is a learn-able test that will almost guarantee an increase in your score with enough time and practice (and as far as I know, you have not conveyed that 148 was after relentless studying). If external circumstances hinders you from retaking, I would consider applying to some more safeties that are closer to your GPA/LSAT range (although you will get a slight URM boost). As long as you aware and ok with that fact that you will most likely be graduating with law school debt + fairly bleak employment prospects [and they are VERY big pills to swallow], then go for it! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:16 am

hokie wrote:To play devil's advocate [because I like to :wink: }, I believe that there are a number of factors that could make an applicant's LSAT not the best indicator for their performance within a law career (i.e. standardized test trauma, untimely tragedy, simple lack of preparation due to work/family/etc.). Therefore I do not think that someone who scores <160 LSAT should be an auto-ding for law and re-evaluate their whole chosen career path. Having said that, OP, if you are 100% committed to law school, I say devote all resources you have to studying+retaking the LSAT. Given the status of the current legal market, it would behoove you [OP] to study and get a score knowing you have truly given it "your best shot". The LSAT is a learn-able test that will almost guarantee an increase in your score with enough time and practice (and as far as I know, you have not conveyed that 148 was after relentless studying). If external circumstances hinders you from retaking, I would consider applying to some more safeties that are closer to your GPA/LSAT range (although you will get a slight URM boost). As long as you aware and ok with that fact that you will most likely be graduating with law school debt + fairly bleak employment prospects [and they are VERY big pills to swallow], then go for it! :mrgreen:


Future gunner spotted

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:54 am

I wouldn't tell someone to go to sea without a good sail, and I wouldn't tell a student to pursue law without a good LSAT. No, a good LSAT isn't necessary for having a good law career, but a good sail isn't necessary for crossing the ocean either. That doesn't make a strong argument for crossing the ocean with a tattered sail, however.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby justadude55 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:54 pm

hokie wrote:To play devil's advocate [because I like to :wink: }, I believe that there are a number of factors that could make an applicant's LSAT not the best indicator for their performance within a law career (i.e. standardized test trauma, untimely tragedy, simple lack of preparation due to work/family/etc.). Therefore I do not think that someone who scores <160 LSAT should be an auto-ding for law and re-evaluate their whole chosen career path. Having said that, OP, if you are 100% committed to law school, I say devote all resources you have to studying+retaking the LSAT. Given the status of the current legal market, it would behoove you [OP] to study and get a score knowing you have truly given it "your best shot". The LSAT is a learn-able test that will almost guarantee an increase in your score with enough time and practice (and as far as I know, you have not conveyed that 148 was after relentless studying). If external circumstances hinders you from retaking, I would consider applying to some more safeties that are closer to your GPA/LSAT range (although you will get a slight URM boost). As long as you aware and ok with that fact that you will most likely be graduating with law school debt + fairly bleak employment prospects [and they are VERY big pills to swallow], then go for it! :mrgreen:

certainly truthful it might not be the best predictor.

as evidence, consider that African Americans get on average a 143 while Caucasians on average get a 153. It is ridiculous to argue that the average white test taker is 10 points sharper than the average black test taker (courtesy of a youtube video presentation by a UVA professor).

but this convo is not about how good of a predictor the LSAT is. it is about whether they're getting in. the LSAT is the single best predictor of LS acceptance.

as for law, i do not have experience yet in the field but from people i've spoken to who have succeeded in law, the people with lower LSAT scores who went to lower schools but are as successful as those with better scores are winners: hustlers, innovators, great personalities, kind of a "shit" i hope i am like you when i'm older kind of people.

if you have a "blah" personality, and wouldn't wind up at the top of the pile, then under a 160 (165 is kind of an unfair cutoff cause a lot of people just cannot get there), i'd rethink LS.

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby thegor1987 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:13 pm

You have to change your belief about standardized tests and retake. There is nothing unfair about the LSAT.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby kwais » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:20 pm

it is stunning on this site that so many people actually think you can't be honest without being mean. It is the definition of lacking in social skills. You can get a lot more done in this world by making people feel connected, welcome and comfortable without sacrificing one ounce of truth. The people who deny this are scared shitless that it is true.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby justadude55 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:21 pm

thegor1987 wrote:You have to change your belief about standardized tests and retake. There is nothing unfair about the LSAT.

+1 you can argue that GPA's are much more unfair.

Prettier girls on average are shown to be graded more leniently than non-pretty girls.

Kissing up to a professor leads to a better grade. Honesty is not the best quality in being graded.

Professors might not like a student because of their religion or political belief system, and down grade them effectively.

Professors at many colleges do not have to state their grading system, and can use personal biases to influence grades but are protected by the university.

Certain majors are graded differently than others. Many art school majors, for example, have professors who are on a number of antipsychotic and antidepressant medication and might randomly just decide to give everyone a C off of no objective criteria. Even with an A in another class, this grading system damages students who look bad not only because they studied a creative craft, but because their professor was able to use a personal hatred of their people that can't be proven to downgrade them.

To do well on the LSAT, all you need to do is fill in the right answer. Seems much more fair.

User avatar
sarcasticswede
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby sarcasticswede » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:32 pm

To the OP, if you legitimately have issues taking standardized tests (but to be honest, it sounds like you just didn't put enough time in to studying for the LSAT), law schools are fairly open to this if you can prove that standardized tests have no been a good indicator of performance for you before. In order to show this, you need a copy of your SAT score, which needs to be about as low if not lower than your LSAT (so about the 50th percentile or lower). Then, they'll see that the test obviously failed to predict your 3.6 GPA and might place lower weight on your LSAT score. It's worth a shot for this cycle if you have the SAT score, just write an addendum and include the proof of your score.

But I think that you are much better off taking a test prep course and retaking in June or October and shooting for next cycle. If you're URM a 10 point increase should make you very competitive at the schools you're looking at. Best of luck to you with the rest of your cycle!

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:34 pm

kwais wrote:it is stunning on this site that so many people actually think you can't be honest without being mean. It is the definition of lacking in social skills. You can get a lot more done in this world by making people feel connected, welcome and comfortable without sacrificing one ounce of truth. The people who deny this are scared shitless that it is true.


There's a difference between being mean and being cold and factual. Nothing here has been needlessly antagonizing or outside the norms of this forum. You're just unused to hearing the unabridged truth - HTH

It's called a reality check, and it never comes bundled in words of encouragement. Sorry.

BTW, how's the weather up there in your tower?

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby kwais » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:40 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
kwais wrote:it is stunning on this site that so many people actually think you can't be honest without being mean. It is the definition of lacking in social skills. You can get a lot more done in this world by making people feel connected, welcome and comfortable without sacrificing one ounce of truth. The people who deny this are scared shitless that it is true.


There's a difference between being mean and being cold and factual. Nothing here has been needlessly antagonizing or outside the norms of this forum. You're just unused to hearing the unabridged truth - HTH

It's called a reality check, and it never comes bundled in words of encouragement. Sorry.

BTW, how's the weather up there in your tower?


1) "there a difference between being mean and being cold and factual" why is "cold" a natural part of factual for you?
2) Reality checks can come bundled in whatever people want them to. You have made a choice and that's fine but don't present it as the only choice.
3) the weather is great

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 pm

kwais wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
kwais wrote:it is stunning on this site that so many people actually think you can't be honest without being mean. It is the definition of lacking in social skills. You can get a lot more done in this world by making people feel connected, welcome and comfortable without sacrificing one ounce of truth. The people who deny this are scared shitless that it is true.


There's a difference between being mean and being cold and factual. Nothing here has been needlessly antagonizing or outside the norms of this forum. You're just unused to hearing the unabridged truth - HTH

It's called a reality check, and it never comes bundled in words of encouragement. Sorry.

BTW, how's the weather up there in your tower?


1) "there a difference between being mean and being cold and factual" why is "cold" a natural part of factual for you?
2) Reality checks can come bundled in whatever people want them to. You have made a choice and that's fine but don't present it as the only choice.
3) the weather is great


Too many students enter the legal industry because they have a half-formed notion of success which will never be. This is a haven which is insulated from those ideas. Frankly, I'm glad there is a place where we can be honest with one another under the veil of anonymity, without having to be worried about social niceties which often distort the cold, hard facts.

caligulove
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby caligulove » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:08 pm

teehee

caligulove
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby caligulove » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:19 pm

also: all I can say about the OP's situation is that it is strange, but not out of the ordinary. I'm just speaking from my own experience that schools take as long as they like to accept/reject you whether you're an auto-admit, auto-reject, or in between the two. I have applied to schools that I know I have no chance in hell of getting into, and it's taking them longer than 13 days to reject me, but I'm not taking that as a sign that I have a hope of getting in. Just count yourself lucky that they haven't been stringing you along. Best advice I can give is stop over thinking everything: you'll get in where you get in and you'll be dinged by whoever dings you. It'll all come in time. Just sit back and wait for the accept/reject letters to come in. Don't listen to what all these people say and their attacks on whether or not you should go to law school. Screw them. If you want to go to law school then go to law school. Granted, they do admit with a heavy reliance on numbers, but there's a lot of ad hoc consideration of applications and if someone sees something they like, your chances will be better. If you get rejected from everywhere this cycle, do anything you can to strengthen your application for next cycle. Volunteer, secure more academic recommendations, DO RETAKE THE LSAT AND STUDY YOUR ASS OFF TO GET AT LEAST ABOVE A 160, and get a good personal statement written. In the end, unless you plan on dying when you're 30, it's never too late to try, try again. Just make sure to put in the work.

much love.

User avatar
LilMonsterAnnie
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:32 pm

albanach wrote:
FrOhara1213 wrote:Thoughts please!


Unfortunately your Grad School GPA counts for very little. Like that or not, it's the way it is. Your 3.6 is marginally above Buffalo's Median, but your LSAT of 148 is below average, and below Buffalo's 25th percentile.

If you want to see a different outcome to your cycle, the answer is to retake the LSAT.

Of the other schools you mentioned, lawschoolpredictor.com has you as a deny at all bar Syracuse where you're a weak consider.



You are off base. I have personally spoken to 6 Admin directors during on campus visits and they weigh a grad degree MORE heavily than an undergrad gpa.
Many schools will factor in your softs IF you show above average interest.

My thought is this: Did you visit the school? Did you write a target letter? Does the school offer what you want to specialize in?
if you answer no to any of this, they spotted you a mile away. Safety or not.
Don't let one rejection freak you out. Safety schools tend to be schools we 'settle for'

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Submitted Application, Rejected 13 days later

Postby beachbum » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:40 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
kwais wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
kwais wrote:it is stunning on this site that so many people actually think you can't be honest without being mean. It is the definition of lacking in social skills. You can get a lot more done in this world by making people feel connected, welcome and comfortable without sacrificing one ounce of truth. The people who deny this are scared shitless that it is true.


There's a difference between being mean and being cold and factual. Nothing here has been needlessly antagonizing or outside the norms of this forum. You're just unused to hearing the unabridged truth - HTH

It's called a reality check, and it never comes bundled in words of encouragement. Sorry.

BTW, how's the weather up there in your tower?


1) "there a difference between being mean and being cold and factual" why is "cold" a natural part of factual for you?
2) Reality checks can come bundled in whatever people want them to. You have made a choice and that's fine but don't present it as the only choice.
3) the weather is great


Too many students enter the legal industry because they have a half-formed notion of success which will never be. This is a haven which is insulated from those ideas. Frankly, I'm glad there is a place where we can be honest with one another under the veil of anonymity, without having to be worried about social niceties which often distort the cold, hard facts.


+1. If you want to be cuddled and patted gently on the head, talk to your pre-law advisor or pre-law friends. If you'd like advice without the fluff, welcome to TLS. This is the accepted social norm around here; if you don't like it, there are plenty of other law school forums to choose from.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hellohalo, LawSchoolTitan, Motionsinlemons, sjs12, teddy0913, ws120 and 18 guests