BYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If admitted will you likely attend?

yes
29
40%
no
44
60%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby zonto » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Congrats guys! Interviews are awesome!

I just got my official acceptance letter in the mail yesterday and had my interview on 1/21. Had some really nice personal touches and scholarship information too.

Any of you guys planning on going to the J. Reuben Clark Law Society fireside this Friday at the Conference Center? We should meet up and say "hello" if you are! :o

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Much respect to all of you. Bsm, did you get an email acceptance or a letter and what is your status on the online checker?

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:26 pm

I actually sat in on a class today and found out in person afterwards! Totally a surprise!

jdemmitt wrote:Much respect to all of you. Bsm, did you get an email acceptance or a letter and what is your status on the online checker?

User avatar
sabenser
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sabenser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Much respect to all of you. Bsm, did you get an email acceptance or a letter and what is your status on the online checker?


My status still says under review but the status date updated to today.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:02 pm

bsm909 wrote:I actually sat in on a class today and found out in person afterwards! Totally a surprise!

jdemmitt wrote:Much respect to all of you. Bsm, did you get an email acceptance or a letter and what is your status on the online checker?



Wow. You know what, I am going to borrow that strategy. I am going to schedule a tour next week.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:08 pm

HAHA! I totally just got lucky. I guess they finished with another round of review that I just so happened to be in earlier that day- so my timing just was tremendously convenient. Guess I was due one after still waiting on most all of my apps that have been complete since November!

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby zonto » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 am

Which class did you sit in on and how was it?

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:57 am

I attended the Criminal Law class taught by Professor Dominguez. I enjoyed it very much. It was very discussion based which made the time go by really quickly. The professor seemed great. Allowed for discussion while challenging or pushing comments to get people thinking more. Everyone was really active and attentive but not in a scary cut throat way. The only strange thing was someone brought her baby to class. Maybe this isn't odd overall, but it really shocked me. She took it out when it made too much noise (I was on the other side of the room so not sure if it was more distracting closer) but surprised me nonetheless. I asked someone later and they said its dependent on the professor if they'll allow kids. They have family support rooms in the library where you have a little study room with a TV that people can watch class live with their kids if necessary. Obviously not applicable to most (including me) but those rooms could help if you're sick and don't want to disrupt class!

If you were curious about something specific about the class, just let me know and I'd be happy to let you know.

User avatar
sunlitstars
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sunlitstars » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 am

sabenser wrote:Just got an email about meeting with Dean Hernandez!

Sent 10 Jan, complete 19 Jan, in review 25 Jan.

165/3.60


Same stats! My app. is going quickly 1/27 Submitted 1/27 Complete 2/1 In Review, but I still feel like I can't handle much more of this waiting. You've given me hope.

User avatar
servo
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby servo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 am

sunlitstars wrote:
sabenser wrote:Just got an email about meeting with Dean Hernandez!

Sent 10 Jan, complete 19 Jan, in review 25 Jan.

165/3.60


Same stats! My app. is going quickly 1/27 Submitted 1/27 Complete 2/1 In Review, but I still feel like I can't handle much more of this waiting. You've given me hope.


ditto here. complete 1/24 -> under review 2/1. Looks like we are in the review one week after the 1/25 UR group, so maybe we'll get decisions by Monday...

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Man, under review since 1/12. I am going to just lie down and wait for the denial/wait list letter.

User avatar
sunlitstars
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sunlitstars » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Man, under review since 1/12. I am going to just lie down and wait for the denial/wait list letter.

Don't worry. A lot of people have waited longer than that.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby zonto » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:33 pm

bsm909 wrote:I attended the Criminal Law class taught by Professor Dominguez. I enjoyed it very much. It was very discussion based which made the time go by really quickly. The professor seemed great. Allowed for discussion while challenging or pushing comments to get people thinking more. Everyone was really active and attentive but not in a scary cut throat way. The only strange thing was someone brought her baby to class. Maybe this isn't odd overall, but it really shocked me. She took it out when it made too much noise (I was on the other side of the room so not sure if it was more distracting closer) but surprised me nonetheless. I asked someone later and they said its dependent on the professor if they'll allow kids. They have family support rooms in the library where you have a little study room with a TV that people can watch class live with their kids if necessary. Obviously not applicable to most (including me) but those rooms could help if you're sick and don't want to disrupt class!

If you were curious about something specific about the class, just let me know and I'd be happy to let you know.


Thanks for posting this. The baby incident kind of reminds me of church meetings... Although at certain times I suppose the baby's responses could reflect the inner feelings of the class at the time. :)

I do remember that they record all the lectures for viewing later (at least it said that in the viewbook), so that's cool. I wonder if they release commemorative DVD releases every year after finals in spring.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Haha! The Gold Edition Box Set? :) Though it would be interesting to see if you can find them from classes from the previous year and see what the professors are like before you sign up for that class!

(BTW- anyone know if we can somehow merge the two BYU posts together?)

User avatar
sunlitstars
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sunlitstars » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Just PM the creator of this or other one to delete it. Compared to the others, there's really not a lot of activity going on here! I keep compulsively checking this and my email for any kind of updates, even though I just hit Under Review on Tues. Confident about acceptance based on stats, but I keep having these daymares about the admittance committee dispising my personal essay (I kind of took a risk and it was rather personal). Any tips for the waiting?

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Nothing can properly distract me from the importance of the situation. Which is sad because halo is trying its hardest.

User avatar
sunlitstars
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sunlitstars » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Nothing can properly distract me from the importance of the situation. Which is sad because halo is trying its hardest.


Just checked your profile and it looks like you've had some other acceptances/scholarship offers, congrats! Wake Forest is a great school. Is BYU your number one? Why? School loyalty or $$?

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks, I appreciate that. BYU is my number one because I have a house with free rent, my wife has a great job, and my wife's family lives here and loves to babysit my child. Although, UNC is vying for number one. If I do not get into either of those, then it is off to Wake Forest. There is a slim chance I could choose University of Uta if they offer me a really good scholarship. So.. go Cougars!

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm

All good reasons!! Waiting is really hard. I'm in that boat waiting on Utah. I'd love to be able to know and then start really thinking about my decision. If you find the secret to making the waiting less painful, please let me know!

Best of luck to you!


jdemmitt wrote:Thanks, I appreciate that. BYU is my number one because I have a house with free rent, my wife has a great job, and my wife's family lives here and loves to babysit my child. Although, UNC is vying for number one. If I do not get into either of those, then it is off to Wake Forest. There is a slim chance I could choose University of Uta if they offer me a really good scholarship. So.. go Cougars!

User avatar
sabenser
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sabenser » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Had my interview yesterday and was offered admission. We talked about BYU's reputation for being cutthroat and he also gave good tips about choosing a law school.

Good luck to you all.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:35 am

What did he say specifically about the cutthroat competitive reputation?

User avatar
sabenser
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sabenser » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 pm

He said that one of the metrics that Princeton Review uses to rank BYU as cutthroat is amount of time studying. He said that the students study a lot and thus are perceived as cutthroat.

I'm guessing it is pretty cutthroat though. I'm in BYU grad school right now and many of the students are ridiculous with how much they care about doing better than others and they also refuse to help anyone for fear that it might hurt the curve.

Also, with no drinking and a lot of married students, people study instead of have social lives (me included).

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:42 pm

bsm909 wrote:What did he say specifically about the cutthroat competitive reputation?
bsm909 wrote:What did he say specifically about the cutthroat competitive reputation?
sabenser wrote:He said that one of the metrics that Princeton Review uses to rank BYU as cutthroat is amount of time studying. He said that the students study a lot and thus are perceived as cutthroat.

I'm guessing it is pretty cutthroat though. I'm in BYU grad school right now and many of the students are ridiculous with how much they care about doing better than others and they also refuse to help anyone for fear that it might hurt the curve.

Also, with no drinking and a lot of married students, people study instead of have social lives (me included).

The undergrads are typically helpful, but as a student I heard plenty of stories of the vicious nature of byu grad schoolers. I think they put something in the water.

Sabs, what are you doing there now for grad school?

User avatar
sunlitstars
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sunlitstars » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am

servo wrote:
sunlitstars wrote:
sabenser wrote:Just got an email about meeting with Dean Hernandez!

Sent 10 Jan, complete 19 Jan, in review 25 Jan.

165/3.60


Same stats! My app. is going quickly 1/27 Submitted 1/27 Complete 2/1 In Review, but I still feel like I can't handle much more of this waiting. You've given me hope.


ditto here. complete 1/24 -> under review 2/1. Looks like we are in the review one week after the 1/25 UR group, so maybe we'll get decisions by Monday...


It looks like most people got their email about the Dean internview on Tues. so I'm going to relax and not count on today.

User avatar
sunlitstars
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sunlitstars » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Any news today?!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], grandpapy360, hogscienceavatarlost, musiclover123, potterotter and 21 guests