BYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If admitted will you likely attend?

yes
29
40%
no
44
60%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby zonto » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am

Worry?

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Stupid phone.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Ya I think major panic should be pushed off until they have an idea of what seat deposits are in...and that's not until the 15th....at that point I'd imagine there will be some good movement.


jdemmitt wrote:Next week I start to word. April 15 I panic.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby zonto » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Does the game against Florida influence anyone's decision? :(

Adamofthewest
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby Adamofthewest » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 pm

zonto wrote:Does the game against Florida influence anyone's decision? :(

Yes, but I'm still not sure what kind of influence.

hector311
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby hector311 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 pm

So, just jumping in on this thread. I was accepted a couple months ago by a phone interview (scholly didn't come till a letter in the mail 3 or 4 weeks later). I have spent the past few weekends traveling the country to some solid programs, beautiful campuses, amazing student bodies, etc. and am narrowing down on BYU. I wish we could all tone down our competitive nature a bit and make BYU as welcoming a place as other tier 1 programs but I know I can't do that myself so its unreasonable to think any other LDS students would. Looking forward to visiting campus and getting a feel for the real student atmosphere.

Does anyone have tips on where good places to rent for single grad students are? I'd really like to get involved in a ward with a generally older crowd (since you're all future law students I'm sure you get my hopefully non-condescending drift.) I've never been to Provo (outside the MTC) and am unfamiliar with the lay of the land.

User avatar
sabenser
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sabenser » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:43 pm

hector311 wrote:So, just jumping in on this thread. I was accepted a couple months ago by a phone interview (scholly didn't come till a letter in the mail 3 or 4 weeks later). I have spent the past few weekends traveling the country to some solid programs, beautiful campuses, amazing student bodies, etc. and am narrowing down on BYU. I wish we could all tone down our competitive nature a bit and make BYU as welcoming a place as other tier 1 programs but I know I can't do that myself so its unreasonable to think any other LDS students would. Looking forward to visiting campus and getting a feel for the real student atmosphere.

Does anyone have tips on where good places to rent for single grad students are? I'd really like to get involved in a ward with a generally older crowd (since you're all future law students I'm sure you get my hopefully non-condescending drift.) I've never been to Provo (outside the MTC) and am unfamiliar with the lay of the land.


You'll want to avoid most places south of campus. I live two blocks west of campus and it's a mix of young and old but getting younger. I'm looking into Carriage Cove or Old Mill. I've heard they are older. If you get a house a mile west of campus in South Orem, then you'd be set with an older single's ward. I'm a single grad student at BYU and am looking to relocate. I'd ask some of the students tomorrow. I'm not an expert at all.

Yeah, it stinks that BYU is so competitive. At least I wouldn't be on scholarship so I won't have that stress and my anticipated employer doesn't care about class rank. I'll just let you guys be top of the class, ha, for a small fee :)

hector311
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby hector311 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:47 pm

sabenser wrote:
hector311 wrote:So, just jumping in on this thread. I was accepted a couple months ago by a phone interview (scholly didn't come till a letter in the mail 3 or 4 weeks later). I have spent the past few weekends traveling the country to some solid programs, beautiful campuses, amazing student bodies, etc. and am narrowing down on BYU. I wish we could all tone down our competitive nature a bit and make BYU as welcoming a place as other tier 1 programs but I know I can't do that myself so its unreasonable to think any other LDS students would. Looking forward to visiting campus and getting a feel for the real student atmosphere.

Does anyone have tips on where good places to rent for single grad students are? I'd really like to get involved in a ward with a generally older crowd (since you're all future law students I'm sure you get my hopefully non-condescending drift.) I've never been to Provo (outside the MTC) and am unfamiliar with the lay of the land.


You'll want to avoid most places south of campus. I live two blocks west of campus and it's a mix of young and old but getting younger. I'm looking into Carriage Cove or Old Mill. I've heard they are older. If you get a house a mile west of campus in South Orem, then you'd be set with an older single's ward. I'm a single grad student at BYU and am looking to relocate. I'd ask some of the students tomorrow. I'm not an expert at all.

Yeah, it stinks that BYU is so competitive. At least I wouldn't be on scholarship so I won't have that stress and my anticipated employer doesn't care about class rank. I'll just let you guys be top of the class, ha, for a small fee :)


I re-read my post and really hope it didn't sound condescending. I just mention scholly letter for those of you who had a phone interview and were wondering about scholarship. Thanks for the tips on living. I'm actually in VA this weekend and so wont be there for admitted student day. I checked flights for conference weekend and they are DOUBLE cost of coming in April. So I probably wont get to visit till then. Anyone else looking for housing options for single grad students?

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 pm

I think I will stay in my house. Carriage cove and old mill have bad parking.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:15 am

Hey for those going to the ASD today, give us waiting a shout out and ask how admissions are going?

Classof2014
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby Classof2014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 am

sabenser wrote:
hector311 wrote:So, just jumping in on this thread. I was accepted a couple months ago by a phone interview (scholly didn't come till a letter in the mail 3 or 4 weeks later). I have spent the past few weekends traveling the country to some solid programs, beautiful campuses, amazing student bodies, etc. and am narrowing down on BYU. I wish we could all tone down our competitive nature a bit and make BYU as welcoming a place as other tier 1 programs but I know I can't do that myself so its unreasonable to think any other LDS students would. Looking forward to visiting campus and getting a feel for the real student atmosphere.

Does anyone have tips on where good places to rent for single grad students are? I'd really like to get involved in a ward with a generally older crowd (since you're all future law students I'm sure you get my hopefully non-condescending drift.) I've never been to Provo (outside the MTC) and am unfamiliar with the lay of the land.


You'll want to avoid most places south of campus. I live two blocks west of campus and it's a mix of young and old but getting younger. I'm looking into Carriage Cove or Old Mill. I've heard they are older. If you get a house a mile west of campus in South Orem, then you'd be set with an older single's ward. I'm a single grad student at BYU and am looking to relocate. I'd ask some of the students tomorrow. I'm not an expert at all.

Yeah, it stinks that BYU is so competitive. At least I wouldn't be on scholarship so I won't have that stress and my anticipated employer doesn't care about class rank. I'll just let you guys be top of the class, ha, for a small fee :)


FYI I lived in Carriage Cove for a semester. It is a dump. I would not recommend it.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:55 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Hey for those going to the ASD today, give us waiting a shout out and ask how admissions are going?


Hey. The only thing I heard kind of about this was one faculty member that talked to my tour group and asked everyone when they heard they were accepted. Then he said, "ya, I hear they haven't given out many acceptances yet." Nobody asked more and he didn't elaborate, but maybe that means there are many more to come??

User avatar
sunlitstars
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby sunlitstars » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 pm

bsm909 wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:Hey for those going to the ASD today, give us waiting a shout out and ask how admissions are going?


Hey. The only thing I heard kind of about this was one faculty member that talked to my tour group and asked everyone when they heard they were accepted. Then he said, "ya, I hear they haven't given out many acceptances yet." Nobody asked more and he didn't elaborate, but maybe that means there are many more to come??


To elaborate - the Dean of Students did mention that they have 150 seats, period and are only able to accept that many students. That would make sense then that they couldn't afford to offer places to any more students until they are sure how many will be accepting admission.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:11 pm

sunlitstars wrote:
bsm909 wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:Hey for those going to the ASD today, give us waiting a shout out and ask how admissions are going?


Hey. The only thing I heard kind of about this was one faculty member that talked to my tour group and asked everyone when they heard they were accepted. Then he said, "ya, I hear they haven't given out many acceptances yet." Nobody asked more and he didn't elaborate, but maybe that means there are many more to come??


To elaborate - the Dean of Students did mention that they have 150 seats, period and are only able to accept that many students. That would make sense then that they couldn't afford to offer places to any more students until they are sure how many will be accepting admission.


Ya I think it'll be around seat deposit time when things pick up.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Better send my deposit to wake then.

Adamofthewest
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby Adamofthewest » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Exactly what day are seat deposits due? Is it the 1st or 15th?

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby zonto » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Adamofthewest wrote:Exactly what day are seat deposits due? Is it the 1st or 15th?

Adamofthewest
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby Adamofthewest » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm

zonto wrote:
Adamofthewest wrote:Exactly what day are seat deposits due? Is it the 1st or 15th?


Even with their claim that everything will be sent out by the 15th? They really plan on making us sweat!

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby zonto » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Just ask for an extension from other schools if you haven't heard back a couple weeks before the due date and see what they say. That way you can wait for BYU and not lose seat at your other choice.

DHB
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby DHB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Does anyone want to give a summary of the admitted students day? I'd be much obliged. I couldn't make it.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 pm

DHB wrote:Does anyone want to give a summary of the admitted students day? I'd be much obliged. I couldn't make it.


Sure! We first heard from the Dean of Students. She talked about the quick rise of the program in the 40 years since announcing the school. We broke into groups and sat in on a Property class. Broke into smaller groups and took tours of the school. Then had lunch where there were faculty members and students at your table available to ask questions. Then there was the optional second class to sit in on. A lot of the messages were overlapping so ill just give a list:

-hard to beat the price
-the faculty seems to genuinely care about the students
-the externship program is great and can get you into pretty much any country.
-they have a mingling event every Friday for students and faculty at noon.
-they cap the class at 150 students
-most professors have open door policies allowing for a lot of help available to students.
-they have family focused rooms should you have a kid that needs to come with for a day that you can schedule and watch your class in there without disrupting the class.
-that most people love the program not just for the price, but for the faculty and students
-everyone gets their own desk...unlike another Utah school :)

I am sure I'm missing stuff. If you're curious about something specific, just let me know and I can try to help!

DHB
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby DHB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:43 pm

bsm909 wrote:
DHB wrote:Does anyone want to give a summary of the admitted students day? I'd be much obliged. I couldn't make it.


Sure! We first heard from the Dean of Students. She talked about the quick rise of the program in the 40 years since announcing the school. We broke into groups and sat in on a Property class. Broke into smaller groups and took tours of the school. Then had lunch where there were faculty members and students at your table available to ask questions. Then there was the optional second class to sit in on. A lot of the messages were overlapping so ill just give a list:

-hard to beat the price
-the faculty seems to genuinely care about the students
-the externship program is great and can get you into pretty much any country.
-they have a mingling event every Friday for students and faculty at noon.
-they cap the class at 150 students
-most professors have open door policies allowing for a lot of help available to students.
-they have family focused rooms should you have a kid that needs to come with for a day that you can schedule and watch your class in there without disrupting the class.
-that most people love the program not just for the price, but for the faculty and students
-everyone gets their own desk...unlike another Utah school :)

I am sure I'm missing stuff. If you're curious about something specific, just let me know and I can try to help!



Thanks!! Watching from that family room might be a good tactic on days you forget to read.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 pm

DHB wrote:
bsm909 wrote:
DHB wrote:Does anyone want to give a summary of the admitted students day? I'd be much obliged. I couldn't make it.


Sure! We first heard from the Dean of Students. She talked about the quick rise of the program in the 40 years since announcing the school. We broke into groups and sat in on a Property class. Broke into smaller groups and took tours of the school. Then had lunch where there were faculty members and students at your table available to ask questions. Then there was the optional second class to sit in on. A lot of the messages were overlapping so ill just give a list:

-hard to beat the price
-the faculty seems to genuinely care about the students
-the externship program is great and can get you into pretty much any country.
-they have a mingling event every Friday for students and faculty at noon.
-they cap the class at 150 students
-most professors have open door policies allowing for a lot of help available to students.
-they have family focused rooms should you have a kid that needs to come with for a day that you can schedule and watch your class in there without disrupting the class.
-that most people love the program not just for the price, but for the faculty and students
-everyone gets their own desk...unlike another Utah school :)

I am sure I'm missing stuff. If you're curious about something specific, just let me know and I can try to help!



Thanks!! Watching from that family room might be a good tactic on days you forget to read.


Lol, that is fine if you don't mind me bringing my daughter in there, let's call it even.

User avatar
bsm909
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BYU 2011

Postby bsm909 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

FWIW, my sisters friends roommate got in last week and one other (assuming its not the same person) mentioned they got in last week too. So seems like there was some movement we didn't see posted on here.

tehCheese
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 am

Re: BYU 2011

Postby tehCheese » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 am

Don't you mean your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate? And (assuming its not the same person) domestic partner?

Trolled.

4th hand much...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Ca2021, JosefK, laurlaur2112, potterotter, proteinshake, xn3345 and 15 guests