Layman's Prestige

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ResolutePear

Re: Layman's Prestige

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:21 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Why won't this thread die.

Because you just bumped it.

A 6 minute bump?

Nope. I just teased the thread.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:24 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Why won't this thread die.

Boredom.
And pointless posts (like this one and my previous).

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:27 pm

rad law wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Is that Ron motherfucking Jeremy?

Also: Lay prestige depends on what conference the given layperson's school is in.

justhoping

Postby justhoping » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:33 pm

haha i don't see why this thread should die. it's actually kinda fun to read.

lots of people confuse U Penn with Penn State (which sometimes prompt me to say "I'm applying to U Penn not Penn State"), Asians tend to overestimate Cornell, I get a "[gasp] it's a T14?" when I mention -- Michigan, Virginia, UCLA, and Northwestern.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:35 pm

justhoping wrote:haha i don't see why this thread should die. actually kinda fun to read.

lots of people confuse U Penn with Penn State (which sometimes prompt me to say "I'm applyint to U Penn not Penn State"), Asians tend to overestimate Cornell, I get a "[gasp] it's a T14?" when I mention -- Michigan, Virgina, UCLA, and Northwestern.

Because this is the 17th lay prestige thread on TLS in the last 6 months, it gets tiring and there was never any point to them to begin with.

And, UCLA isn't a T14.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm in AZ and not 1 non-academic, non-legal person has even heard of William and Mary. They want to know why I don't "just go to Phoenix School of law? It's right by your house."

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:37 pm

I like lay prestige. It makes getting into Georgetown a very heady experience.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:37 pm

delBarco wrote:
justhoping wrote:haha i don't see why this thread should die. actually kinda fun to read.

lots of people confuse U Penn with Penn State (which sometimes prompt me to say "I'm applyint to U Penn not Penn State"), Asians tend to overestimate Cornell, I get a "[gasp] it's a T14?" when I mention -- Michigan, Virgina, UCLA, and Northwestern.

Because this is the 17th lay prestige thread on TLS in the last 6 months, it gets tiring and there was never any point to them to begin with.

And, UCLA isn't a T14.

If it's pointless, don't click on it.
btw, the majority of thread on this website are pretty much pointless. That doesn't keep people from wasting tons of time on them.

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:20 pm

delBarco wrote:

And, UCLA isn't a T14.

I agree that its pointless but its no more pointless then "where is the poster above you going to school" yet no one bitches about that.

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 am

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Capitol A wrote:
Exactly! You think checking to see when other applicants have an updated UR date is somehow meaningful in your application process? Are you really going to take into account the testimonials of anonymous people on a message board to make your law school decisions? It's all for fun and to pass time. I really hope I won't be in class with any of you who take TLS this seriously, because I can't imagine how you're going to handle the Socratic method.

2nd funniest post I've ever seen on TLS.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:28 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
Exactly! You think checking to see when other applicants have an updated UR date is somehow meaningful in your application process? Are you really going to take into account the testimonials of anonymous people on a message board to make your law school decisions? It's all for fun and to pass time. I really hope I won't be in class with any of you who take TLS this seriously, because I can't imagine how you're going to handle the Socratic method.

What was the 1st?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:34 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

I'm not sure how it happened, but you somehow quoted that to the wrong person.
I too am now curious what the funniest post ever on TLS was. The above is not funny.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:41 pm

the funniest not mean one I ever saw was about interviewing for GULC-

suspicious android
Post subject: Re: GULC Waiting Thread
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Replies: 3418
Views: 82910

Had my interview today, went pretty well, glad I did it. Wasn't high pressure at all, though my answer to "why law school" was kinda forced. I mean, the real reason is obviously models and bottles, but you gotta say something about helping your fellow man and loving the law, so that's pretty standard.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I like lay prestige. It makes getting into Georgetown a very heady experience.

This. I like this.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:the funniest not mean one I ever saw was about interviewing for GULC-

suspicious android

Had my interview today, went pretty well, glad I did it. Wasn't high pressure at all, though my answer to "why law school" was kinda forced. I mean, the real reason is obviously models and bottles, but you gotta say something about helping your fellow man and loving the law, so that's pretty standard.

That is so not funny.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:19 pm

I know this thread has been beaten to death, but I'd like to feel special since I haven't weighed in on such a thread: :D
For me (NJ/NY area) it obviously depends on who you're talking to. Since I'm still in undergrad, it seems that:
People who are serious about school/going to grad school:
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Columbia/Penn/Chicago (have a couple math/physics friends)
6. Stanford (people just don't know too much about their programs)
7. Georgetown
8. NYU
9. UVA/Michigan/Berkeley
12. Duke/Cornell (like UG, easiest Ivy to get into)

People who aren't up on grad schools in any field/ get most of their "prestige" understanding through things like sports:
1. Harvard/Yale/Stanford
4. Columbia/Penn/NYU
7. Georgetown/Duke/Michigan
10. Cornell
11. "Oh congrats, is that a good school?"

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:22 pm

artichoke wrote:
swimmergirl1303 wrote:the funniest not mean one I ever saw was about interviewing for GULC-

suspicious android

That is so not funny.

+1. That was a snoozer.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:54 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:People who aren't up on grad schools in any field/ get most of their "prestige" understanding through things like sports:
1. Harvard/Yale/Stanford
4. Columbia/Penn/NYU
10. Cornell

You think that people who only know about college sports will think that Columbia, Penn and NYU are better schools than Georgetown, Duke and Michigan?

...do you know anything about sports at all?

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:23 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:People who aren't up on grad schools in any field/ get most of their "prestige" understanding through things like sports:
1. Harvard/Yale/Stanford
4. Columbia/Penn/NYU
10. Cornell

You think that people who only know about college sports will think that Columbia, Penn and NYU are better schools than Georgetown, Duke and Michigan?

I meant that there is usually quite a bit of overlap between that field and people who just aren't interested in grad schools at all. Plus, I never said that these are people who ONLY know about college sports, but rather have them heavily influence their opinions. Still, at least from what I've seen (and this is obviously a subjective thread) people will recognize certain Ivy names like Columbia/Penn and privates like NYU and assume that they're near the top just by name recognition, and then assume that Georgetown/Duke/Michigan are right behind without any justification. No need to make a personal attack, I'm just making a personal observation for fun.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:27 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
1. Harvard/Yale/Stanford
4. Columbia/Penn/NYU
10. Cornell

I meant that there is usually quite a bit of overlap between that field and people who just aren't interested in grad schools at all. Plus, I never said that these are people who ONLY know about college sports, but rather have them heavily influence their opinions. Still, at least from what I've seen (and this is obviously a subjective thread) people will recognize certain Ivy names like Columbia/Penn and privates like NYU and assume that they're near the top just by name recognition, and then assume that Georgetown/Duke/Michigan are right behind without any justification. No need to make a personal attack, I'm just making a personal observation for fun.

That's fair. I had never heard of Penn, NYU or a couple of other of the t-14s before I applied to law school, so I guess I just assumed that other laypeople hadn't ever heard of them, either.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:34 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
1. Harvard/Yale/Stanford
4. Columbia/Penn/NYU
10. Cornell

That's fair. I had never heard of Penn, NYU or a couple of other of the t-14s before I applied to law school, so I guess I just assumed that other laypeople hadn't ever heard of them, either.

True, well if you're from Utah that may explain it. Growing up in NJ though, we're relatively near every Ivy and they've got an inherent hierarchy in them (albeit worthless and also not justified). For example, Cornell around here is often joked as the "easiest Ivy to get into" (and it probably is, along with Dartmouth). It by no means implies that it's a bad school, it's just a playful joke that within that tier of good schools, it's the "crap of the pile." So, maybe that also explains that there's a mix of people around here with a sports-biased BUT vague knowledge of actual prestige, and I tried to reflect that in my ranks.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:True, well if you're from Utah that may explain it.

Kentucky :mrgreen:

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 am

I'm surprised how much U Penn gets confused. I'm from the west coast, and at least in my circles (may be because most people are interested in business) it has a good reputation because of Wharton. Cornell also seems to get a bump because it's an "Ivy" and for some reason a ton of people think Georgetown is a top 5. Michigan, Virginia, and Chicago get no love.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:25 am

Nightrunner wrote:Oh good, this again.

reversejinx wrote:
Capitol A wrote:If it's pointless, don't click on it.
btw, the majority of thread on this website are pretty much pointless. That doesn't keep people from wasting tons of time on them.

How are you going to handle it NR??

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”