UMKC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Birdlaw

UMKC 2011 Applicants

Postby Birdlaw » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Probably not a lot of us out there on this board, but I figured it would be a good thread to talk about their admissions process. I have my interview scheduled for early January and was wondering if anyone has already had theirs and how it went. Pointers would be very acceptable.

I expect a lot of TTT bashing, but I go to school in Kansas City (not UMKC), and UMKC law has a fairly formidable reputation in the city for job placement. At the right price I could see myself ending up here, KC is an awesomely underrated city. So anyone out there with applications in process, lets here what you've experienced.

So far they have been really personal, helpful and prompt through phone calls. I'm a little put off by their interview process before rendering a decision, but I think it will hopefully establish some scholarship money. I guess I need to do some research on interviewing, besides being really really really ridiculously good looking.

molazapuku

Re: UMKC 2011 Applicants

Postby molazapuku » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:12 pm

I live in St. Louis, applied to all Missouri schools which does include UMKC. Yes, I went through the interview process. They interview everyone, which I really think is a great idea but I doubt it was particularly tied to any kind of scholarship. And, like Mizzou, the tuition is already so low for in-state that they dont seem to give away much money.

Interview was almost exactly what you would expect, though I did it over the phone so maybe it is different in person. I would say. I spoke to two professors who were on the admissions committee. First question out of the gate was "Why law school" and that was quickly followed up by "Why UMKC?". They asked a question about things I spoke of in my personal statement, and if you have anything on the character and fitness portion it will come up. I believe the last question was about what type of law I would like to practice. It was pretty short, they were friendly, I was not at all uncomfortable.

I have been a bit less impressed with the office folks. I really wanted to do the interview in person, called to ask abotu a day and was told they would call me back and let me know if it was good and what classes I could sit in on (I wanted to do it on a Tuesday instead of their normal Friday, because of my work schedule). Never called me back, and when I called them back to ask they blamed me for not calling back to let THEM know the day was ok (huh? It was MY idea!) Little put off by that, other schools have been so much more attentive.

natedavis333

Postby natedavis333 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:54 am

I went through and the interview went great. They are just looking for what you are looking for in a law school, why law school, why UMKC, etc. The interview and admissions process were very personable. UMKC was a just a safety school for me, but after this process went so well the school definitely moved way up on my list (though still not top). You should not be nervous about the interview. Just read through your resume and personal statement because they will ask you most of the questions based off of these.

ryno8cubs5

Postby ryno8cubs5 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Applied on a Friday. Got an email for interview 3 days later on Moday. Set up my interview for thay Friday. Accepted the following Tuesday. I was very happy with their quick decision, as I live close enough to commute to UMKC, and have a few retainer jobs on lock-down upon graduation.

The interview is very casual and I nailed it. They told me I was going to be accepted several times, and the biggest part of the interview was talking about the school and them giving me information.

Just come prepared with basic knowledge of the school and questions that you have. Ask about their research opportunities and their ABA accredited publications, they love to talk about them. My interview was supposed to be 15 minutes, but lasted almost an hour. They take a genuine interest in you, if you prove that you are worth their time. I think that they are fairly aware that they are not the best school in the country too, so they aren't eal elitist.

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:45 pm

ryno8cubs5 wrote:Applied on a Friday. Got an email for interview 3 days later on Moday. Set up my interview for thay Friday. Accepted the following Tuesday. I was very happy with their quick decision, as I live close enough to commute to UMKC, and have a few retainer jobs on lock-down upon graduation.

The interview is very casual and I nailed it. They told me I was going to be accepted several times, and the biggest part of the interview was talking about the school and them giving me information.

Just come prepared with basic knowledge of the school and questions that you have. Ask about their research opportunities and their ABA accredited publications, they love to talk about them. My interview was supposed to be 15 minutes, but lasted almost an hour. They take a genuine interest in you, if you prove that you are worth their time. I think that they are fairly aware that they are not the best school in the country too, so they aren't eal elitist.

Did they mention anything about scholarship timelines? I am a little nervous to talk about it on the spot and semi-negotiate.

ryno8cubs5

Postby ryno8cubs5 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:24 pm

They just told me they don't offer much in the way of scholarships, although they sent me a newsletter with some information on some. They also set you up with a current student to answer any questions you may have when you are accepted.

jer.smith83

Postby jer.smith83 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:43 pm

I applied a few weeks ago and received an email shortly thereafter talking about the interview. When I spoke with Kynette (I cannot remember her last name) she was very sweet and friendly. She told me that not EVERYONE that applies gets interviewed, but all acceptees (is that a word?) get an interview.

When I started the application process, I hadn't taken the LSAT and thought UMKC would be a "safety" school. My score didn't end up being as high as I'd like so this has moved to my "difficult but confident" category.

I was born and raised in Missouri and have lived in KC for the last 5 years working as a consultant. I love KC and wouldn't mind staying.

Good luck to everyone!

TheGetUpKid

Postby TheGetUpKid » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:14 pm

The interview is not bad at all. I did it over the phone in early December, because they had told me that an in-person interview would not be available until after the New Years. I wanted a quick decision. They told me from the get go not to be nervous, that it was not like a job interview. They said they just wanted to get to know their applicants background and I would most likely be admitted. They asked me about how I chose law school and why I applied to UMKC. They asked me about a couple items off of my resume and from my personal statement. It seemed like they were genuinely interested in getting to know who I was, asking about my involvement with club sports and my hobbies as well.

I applied to UMKC as a safety, but honestly, it ranks near the top of my list now. An earlier post talked about the troubles they had with the administration, but I have had only good experiences with them. I have been totally impressed with the personal attention I seem to be getting. I received a short, handwritten note on the bottom of my acceptance letter with a response to my personal statement. They had the main professor who teaches the subjects I'm interested in (Patents) email me with his contact info in case I had any questions. I did, so I called him and he talked to me for 20 minutes about the KC job market and his style of teaching. I learned he also likes fishing. They also have assigned an emissary to me (based on similar backgrounds), who promptly returned my email with very helpful answers to my questions.

Overall, I get the feeling that they are not concerned with rankings, numbers, and prestige. Maybe this can be taken as a bad thing for people looking for intimidating instructors for 3 years and a superiority complex upon graduation. However, my feeling is that they are very much concerned with providing a solid education. From what I have heard, most area firms and businesses are very satisfied with UMKC grads and place them on par with KU and MU grads. My emissary says that UMKC students may even have the advantage, because they can attend "happy hours" and other local recruitment events that these firms often hold. I am seriously considering UMKC, because I like KC, I would not be able to get into a "national" school, I believe job prospects are just as good here as any other school I were to go to, and they offered me a scholarship to off-set my out of state tuition. Hope this was helpful.

moon7789

Postby moon7789 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:22 pm

I was interviewed and was accepted as well. The two professors who interviewed me were extremely nice and both genuinely acted like they really wanted me to come to UMKC. I was even a few minutes late to the interview due to taking a wrong turn somewhere, but they were understanding. You shouldn't have much to worry about as far as the interview goes. They pretty much ask you just what other people have said..why do you want to go to law school and why do you want to go to UMKC. There was never any feeling of intimidation or any burning questions..just a nice, casual interview.

kams

Postby kams » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:35 am

Sorry to revive this thread, but is the interview process a new thing? When I applied in 2008, I think I got an acceptance letter within like 15 days, with no mention of an interview. Same thing for my friends.

midwest3

Postby midwest3 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 pm

kams wrote:Sorry to revive this thread, but is the interview process a new thing? When I applied in 2008, I think I got an acceptance letter within like 15 days, with no mention of an interview. Same thing for my friends.

My Brother-in-law interviewed in 2008... but it was not as formal as the process they seem to be doing now. I just know that UMKC Law likes to know who they are admitting. They take a serious interest in their students because most firms in Kansas City look to UMKC before they look at KU or MIzzou. It sounds a bit backwards, but UMKC law students stay in Kansas City and help other UMKC law students. I'm saying this because of the things friends have told me from interviewing with firms and judges in Kansas City without being a UMKC law student.

I have an interview on Jan. 21. They aren't my top choice overall, but they are my top choice in Kansas/Missouri.

kams

Postby kams » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm

midwest3 wrote:
kams wrote:Sorry to revive this thread, but is the interview process a new thing? When I applied in 2008, I think I got an acceptance letter within like 15 days, with no mention of an interview. Same thing for my friends.

My Brother-in-law interviewed in 2008... but it was not as formal as the process they seem to be doing now. I just know that UMKC Law likes to know who they are admitting. They take a serious interest in their students because most firms in Kansas City look to UMKC before they look at KU or MIzzou. It sounds a bit backwards, but UMKC law students stay in Kansas City and help other UMKC law students. I'm saying this because of the things friends have told me from interviewing with firms and judges in Kansas City without being a UMKC law student.

I have an interview on Jan. 21. They aren't my top choice overall, but they are my top choice in Kansas/Missouri.

Interesting. I always thought that UMKC was lower down on the totem pole (WUSTL>MU/KU/SLU>UMKC>Washburn). I guess if you're absolutely only looking to stay in Kansas City it's a good choice. Before you make your decision though, if you get into a T30 school, even at sticker, I would recommend that route. All the big Kansas City firms gave me callback interviews and a few offers after coming from Boston University. But I have a few friends at UMKC in the top 10% who struck out.

midwest3

Postby midwest3 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Cool, thanks for the advice. I guess my interest does stem from growing up in Kansas City and being more attracted to that area than the Saint Louis area. I doubt UMKC is as favorable as Wash, SLU, or even Mizzou in the Saint Louis area. But, I would definitely go to my T50 choices before I went to UMKC.

jer.smith83

Postby jer.smith83 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:02 pm

I had my interview today, and the staff there are genuine, nice, and extremely helpful in answering questions. They DO at softs and other things other than just the LSAT. They are interviewing 100% of the applicants this year and theyjust started interviewing almost everyone last year. The feedback from professors after doing this was that this year's 1L class was MUCH more dynamic and performed better. As someone else on this thread mentioned, UMKC was fairly low on my list; however, after visiting and talking with admissions staff, this is now towards the top.

TheGetUpKid

Postby TheGetUpKid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Anyone else brave the weather and attend one of the Open House days?

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

For those of you that took the interview, did you wear a tie? It says business casual, but it never hurts to go all the way. I'm leaning towards no tie, just because I think it looks better and I'll be more relaxed.

jer.smith83

Postby jer.smith83 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35 am

Regarding the Open House--I did attend the open house. It was great to meet people and see how they were in person and around their students. I got the sense that they are very genuine people who really care about their students. We toured every part of the Law School where they showed us how Professors' offices were intermingled with 2Ls' offices. They also showed us their courtroom where you will often see students and faculty interacting and learning from.

Regarding the interview--I chose to wear a tie with a sweater. It was dressed down but more professional at the same time.

TheGetUpKid

Postby TheGetUpKid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 pm

I agree, it seems like the student/faculty relationship is very personal (shocked when I saw student offices mixed in with professors' offices) and everyone seemed pretty laid back and friendly.

I sat in on 2 classes. One was Constitutional Law and there were maybe ~50 students in the classroom (although I suspect there are usually more when there isn't a blizzard going on). The pace seemed a little slow, in my opinion, and only twice did anyone get called on to answer a question. Even those two times, it was nothing like the experiences described in Turow's book, "One L". The Socratic Method pressures seemed minimal from what I could tell and even when one of the students ventured an incorrect guess, the professor guided them to the correct answer instead of responding with embarrassment or criticism.

The other class was Patent Law (my interest). This was really a selling point for me. There were only 6 students enrolled in the class. The classroom was the size of my bedroom (small), so it really had a personal touch. Although I have been looking at schools with IP/Patent specialties and programs, I learn and perform much better in smaller classes. Although there may not be an IP clinic at UMKC, I get the feeling that with only a handful of students pursuing that concentration, there may actually be more opportunity to do research or use the professors to gain connections in the field. In a class of 6, you definitely can feel comfortable asking questions.

One downside was that it seemed like the facilities were a bit dated. Walking up to the building, it seemed modern and impressive, but once inside, it reminded me of an old high school or junior college. Classrooms were not a whole lot better, but had been updated with electrical sockets for laptops built into the desks/tables. The mock and real courtrooms, however, seemed plenty up to date. Also, the student lounge seemed comfortable.

Anyone else have a similar or differing opinion of the place? Or any 1/2/3 L's able to chime in about any of my observations?

jer.smith83

Postby jer.smith83 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm curious...has anyone heard anything from UMKC yet? Did you get it on the online status checker? email? snail mail? I've been in "Pending Interview" since 12/16 and interviewed over a week ago. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks!

ryno8cubs5

Postby ryno8cubs5 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:06 pm

jer.smith83 wrote:I'm curious...has anyone heard anything from UMKC yet? Did you get it on the online status checker? email? snail mail? I've been in "Pending Interview" since 12/16 and interviewed over a week ago. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks!

I was accepted 3 days after my interview. This was back in early November though. It is the middle of the application season, so I imagine it will take a bit longer for them to get back to you. The interview, to me, seemed like a clear cut sign. They pretty much told me that I was in at the end of mine, but may not be that upfront to all the applicants.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else planning on attending UMKC for sure? Would be nice to go into the first semester knowing some people.

2011lawstudent

Postby 2011lawstudent » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:35 pm

So far I plan on attending for sure. I sent in my application on 11/22. I had my interview on 12/17. They told me in the interview that I could be accepted or waitlisted, and that they were not sure. It took them awhile to get back to me after my interview. I was accepted on 1/4 via e-mail. I received my acceptance letter in the mail about a week ago with a full tuition scholarship plus books (with a 2nd year GPA requirement of 2.5 and a 3rd year GPA requirement of 2.75.

ryno8cubs5

Postby ryno8cubs5 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:45 pm

2011lawstudent wrote:So far I plan on attending for sure. I sent in my application on 11/22. I had my interview on 12/17. They told me in the interview that I could be accepted or waitlisted, and that they were not sure. It took them awhile to get back to me after my interview. I was accepted on 1/4 via e-mail. I received my acceptance letter in the mail about a week ago with a full tuition scholarship plus books (with a 2nd year GPA requirement of 2.5 and a 3rd year GPA requirement of 2.75.

Damn, what were your numbers?

I didn't get anything along the lines of a scholarship offer. Although I am in-state, and in the same county, so they gave me quite a few scholarships to apply for that are open for me.

kams

Postby kams » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 pm

2011lawstudent wrote:So far I plan on attending for sure. I sent in my application on 11/22. I had my interview on 12/17. They told me in the interview that I could be accepted or waitlisted, and that they were not sure. It took them awhile to get back to me after my interview. I was accepted on 1/4 via e-mail. I received my acceptance letter in the mail about a week ago with a full tuition scholarship plus books (with a 2nd year GPA requirement of 2.5 and a 3rd year GPA requirement of 2.75.

I got that scholarship when I applied in 2008, except without the GPA requirement. I actually found out they only give out one of those (at least the year that I applied), so if you don't plan on attending UMKC, and chances are if you get that scholarship you have plenty of other offers elsewhere, then let UMKC know as soon as possible. I regret not letting them know sooner so I could help out my fellow Missourians.

TheGetUpKid

Postby TheGetUpKid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 am

My acceptance came about a week after my interview. They meet as an admissions committee once a week on an afternoon and the people who have reviewed your application give their opinion to the rest of the group and they make a decision based on that. Then they send out those acceptances all at once. At least this is how they were doing it in late November when I went through the process. I do know that they are interviewing every applicant this year (last year, they only interviewed those who they were planning on admitting). All of this info I have been told by my adcom people and my emissary when I went to the open house day.

I am 99% certain I am attending next fall. I am still waiting to hear from some places but I have just been more and more impressed. You can read my earlier comments about my experience at the open house if you're interested. Some other factors that have been weighing more heavily as well are the practicality of the law school at UMKC. Unless you're at T20, I think there is no real advantage to attending a school who still emphasizes legal "theory" over practice. Yes, all law schools still teach the first year pretty much the same. However, UMKC's curriculum seems to stress the importance of practical skills. For example, I'm pretty sure every student is required to take Federal Taxation and some other business class. Even if you have no desire to go into tax law (like myself), this would be an extremely practical course, considering EVERYONE must deal with federal tax laws when they practice.

I would be very interested to hear other people's stories who are planning on attending next fall. You can PM me.

PSUFB1114

Postby PSUFB1114 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 pm

stats?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”