Northwestern vs. Michigan Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nola

New

Northwestern vs. Michigan

Post by Nola » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Just wanted to start a comparison thread. My guess is that there are going to be a few of us trying to make the above decision. I seem to intuitively think that Michigan has a bit more prestige than NU. However, I have heard that generally speaking there is virtually no difference in career prospects. So, are there any others that agree? Please share your thoughts.

narayan1121

New

Re: Northwestern vs. Michigan

Post by narayan1121 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:03 pm

I don't really have a shot at either, but I must admit I'm slightly obsessed with Michigan. The education is at least as good, the architecture is amazing, the cost of living has to be significantly less than Chicago, and the sports teams are actually worth showing up to root for. If I am lucky enough to have to choose between the two, I know which one I'd choose.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:04 pm

If you're in your 30's, I hear that Northwestern is an excellent choice.

But in all seriousness, I huge part of the decision is going to be where you want to live, what you want to go into, how happy you would be at either of the two very different environments, etc.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:05 pm

This really is actually a pretty simple question if you have both options: Career prospects are almost the same....Mich may do a little better in NYC, Northwestern a little better in Chicago, West Coast is pretty equal. Historically Mich has been better but today there really isnt much of a difference.

The big difference is in location and what you want out of your 3 years of law schools. Do you want dorms, college town with $2.00 Thursday pitchers and undergrad college parties or Streetersville/Golf Coast, more up-scale living, and a nice urban environment? There really is no comparison between the two schools in terms of living. Its all about what you want.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Never forget: Ann Arbor is a whore.

But if you like more of a small college town vibe (who still remains a whore) you might prefer Mich, but Chicago is a pretty great city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:10 pm

narayan1121 wrote:I don't really have a shot at either, but I must admit I'm slightly obsessed with Michigan. The education is at least as good, the architecture is amazing, the cost of living has to be significantly less than Chicago, and the sports teams are actually worth showing up to root for. If I am lucky enough to have to choose between the two, I know which one I'd choose.
Not so sure about the bold.

The main differences are going to be the city (large urban city versus college town) and the student body (one a little older with work experience versus one younger with less work experience).

wonkymonkey

New

Post by wonkymonkey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:15 pm

This one is a tough decision for me but I hope that attending both preview days will help me decide.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm

I'll be making this decision, too. Michigan has offered money, but I expect that I can get at least as much out of NU. All else being equal, I'll go NU at this point. Chicago>A2, even if it is more expensive.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:20 pm

LOL at living in a dorm over age 20.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:LOL at living in a dorm over age 20.
+1

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:32 pm

TBF I probably wouldn't have been robbed by a hooker in A2.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Ehh, some of my best memories were made in dorms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:10 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Loyola and Depaul undergrads have dorms too brah. If you know what I mean.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:probably right about career prospects, but let's not forget NU is in evanston, which is definitely in the chicago BURBSx1000. i visited when i was touring UG schools and i was like, wtf? i don't see chicago anywhere? (maybe in the distance if you squint.)

but in all seriousness, you are lucky to be able to make this decision and touring the schools should help you choose. i toured michigan for UG too and it definitely feels a lot more like a fratty college town whereas NU was all sophisticated and metro and all that. so i guess whatever your preference is.

and desert fox, i'm sorry you got robbed by a hooker - that's super unfortunate
NU law is on Chicago Ave and Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:probably right about career prospects, but let's not forget NU is in evanston, which is definitely in the chicago BURBSx1000. i visited when i was touring UG schools and i was like, wtf? i don't see chicago anywhere? (maybe in the distance if you squint.)

but in all seriousness, you are lucky to be able to make this decision and touring the schools should help you choose. i toured michigan for UG too and it definitely feels a lot more like a fratty college town whereas NU was all sophisticated and metro and all that. so i guess whatever your preference is.

and desert fox, i'm sorry you got robbed by a hooker - that's super unfortunate
NU law is on Chicago Ave and Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.
oops my mistake! (clearly i didn't apply)

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm

The law school is in Chicago proper, just a short jaunt away from the Chicago redline and awesome panhandlers being paid by Chicago PD to gtfo of the area.

EDIT: Goddamnit, DF

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Loyola and Depaul undergrads have dorms too brah. If you know what I mean.
Good point. I did it backward -- lived in my own place then moved into a dorm after i turned 20 lol.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
The law school is in Chicago proper, just a short jaunt away from the Chicago redline and awesome panhandlers being paid by Chicago PD to gtfo of the area.

You're correct that it's in Chicago, but it's in arguably the nicest area of Chicago. Plenty of students live in cheaper areas and commute, but if you want to be within walking distance you'll pay for it.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:25 pm

quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

You're correct that it's in Chicago, but it's in arguably the nicest area of Chicago. Plenty of students live in cheaper areas and commute, but if you want to be within walking distance you'll pay for it.
Streeterville sucks. It's filled with tourists and, well, tourists.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:30 pm

bjsesq wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Streeterville sucks. It's filled with tourists and, well, tourists.
The part we all live in doesn't have tourists. Michigan ave is entirely tourists though.

The part we live in is all old ladies, businessman, and NU students. It's not a great neighborhood, but for 1L it's fine.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The part we all live in doesn't have tourists. Michigan ave is entirely tourists though.

The part we live in is all old ladies, businessman, and NU students. It's not a great neighborhood, but for 1L it's fine.
Sounds awful. My neighborhood is filled with double jointed female gymnasts who love engineers. Oh well, to each their own I guess. Enjoy playing bingo with the cast of the golden girls, dooder.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The part we all live in doesn't have tourists. Michigan ave is entirely tourists though.

Sounds awful. My neighborhood is filled with double jointed female gymnasts who love engineers. Oh well, to each their own I guess. Enjoy playing bingo with the cast of the golden girls, dooder.
Damn it.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:36 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Something does not compute in this post

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”