Applying in Februrary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
testmachine45

Applying in Februrary

Postby testmachine45 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Some schools say March 1 is the last date for completed applications, but also that Februrary 11th is an LSAT accepted for Fall 2011 admissions.

I am wondering - the Feb LSAT won't even come back by March 1. So how could anyone's file be complete?

Just an example of this: http://law.wustl.edu/Admissions/pages.aspx?id=8420

testmachine45

Re: Applying in Februrary

Postby testmachine45 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Anyone?

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:30 pm

it says your application must be complete by that time, not your file. so you need to submit everything on your end on or before march 1st. you're right though, your FILE won't be complete until they get the LSAT score.

it's does put you at a huge disadvantage.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:37 pm

But you are saying if the LSAT return day is like March 3, they will still look at the application because everything else was in by March 1?

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:40 pm

testmachine45 wrote:But you are saying if the LSAT return day is like March 3, they will still look at the application because everything else was in by March 1?

if they say they will accept feb scores, then yes. many schools will accept it, they just discourage it. looks like wustl accepts it according to the link you posted.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm

For what it's worth, I talked to an admissions office today and they said that by February, 80% of the available seats have been offered. I know it's scary to think that so many offers have been made before you even have a complete app, but just be optimistic about that 20%. I'm in the same boat as you so us Feb LSATers have to stick together!

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 pm

LittlePete83 wrote:For what it's worth, I talked to an admissions office today and they said that by February, 80% of the available seats have been offered. I know it's scary to think that so many offers have been made before you even have a complete app, but just be optimistic about that 20%. I'm in the same boat as you so us Feb LSATers have to stick together!

another reason why taking the February test is not a good idea. Besides the fact that its non-disclosed( and you wont know how you did on each section or what question types/ places in the section that you need to work on) the fact that so many seats are take means that in order to get one of the remaining seats you have to have better credentials than the remaining applicants. A score and gpa that would get you in if you applied in december, may result in a waitlist or rejection in february/ march

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:01 am

LittlePete83 wrote:For what it's worth, I talked to an admissions office today and they said that by February, 80% of the available seats have been offered. I know it's scary to think that so many offers have been made before you even have a complete app, but just be optimistic about that 20%. I'm in the same boat as you so us Feb LSATers have to stick together!

Apply next cycle instead.

hokie

Postby hokie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:40 am

applepiecrust wrote:

Apply next cycle instead.

TITCR. If you're going to take the Feb LSAT, your best option would be to apply early for the next cycle

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:36 am

Applying in February is just setting yourself up to fail. This is already a very competitive process; it makes no sense to hobble yourself unnecessarily. Apply early next cycle and try to earn some money in the meantime.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:36 am

Adjudicator wrote:Applying in February is just setting yourself up to fail. This is already a very competitive process; it makes no sense to hobble yourself unnecessarily. Apply early next cycle and try to earn some money in the meantime.

Never hurts to try. Give it a shot and hope for the best. And if you're anxious, being on this board is a BAD idea. Trust me.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:40 am

And you never know unless you try. If you try this February and fail, so what? Try next year. Personally, I would rather apply and get rejected than to not apply at all and wonder "what if?"

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:07 am

LittlePete83 wrote:And you never know unless you try. If you try this February and fail, so what? Try next year. Personally, I would rather apply and get rejected than to not apply at all and wonder "what if?"

Except for schools that are likely to reject you again if you were rejected the previous year. Then you would be wondering "what if I didn't apply?"

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:02 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
LittlePete83 wrote:And you never know unless you try. If you try this February and fail, so what? Try next year. Personally, I would rather apply and get rejected than to not apply at all and wonder "what if?"

Except for schools that are likely to reject you again if you were rejected the previous year. Then you would be wondering "what if I didn't apply?"

Who's to say? Are you on the admissions committee? If someone wants something bad enough (like going to law school, med school, your CPA, etc.), the hell with everyone and everything else. If you want it, you can make it happen. Trust me. I'm living proof.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 pm

LittlePete83 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Who's to say? Are you on the admissions committee? If someone wants something bad enough (like going to law school, med school, your CPA, etc.), the hell with everyone and everything else. If you want it, you can make it happen. Trust me. I'm living proof.

Yeah, and step one to making it happen is to be smart about it and put yourself in the best position to succeed. Not sabotage yourself.

Unless you think the power of your positive thinking will overcome all real-life considerations. If so, then good luck to you.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:09 pm

I would apply for a different reason... just to get used to applying. I applied to 20+ law schools (LSAC fee waiver), and after the third application, the rest were a breeze. I think even if you don't get in to any schools, you at least get the hang of the application process and next years cycle (with an updated application) you'll be all set for submitting apps as early as possible.

Go for it. Nothing to lose.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:11 pm

if you get rejected, contact the school and ask them to tell you what you need to do in order to get accepted. Most of the time, they will be happy to give you an idea ( but you have to wait until after the peak admissions time- id say like may ish). If you go out and improve that area ( say the LSAT) then you would have a chance next cycle. If you dont do anything different, unless you are over both medians then you are probably wasting your money. However, If you do re apply, it would be wise to re write your personal statement.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:09 pm

The only thing you have to lose is the application fee, unless you have a fee waiver. Either way, why shoot yourself in the foot if you don't have to? Work for a year, save up, and then apply to give yourself a fighting chance.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:37 am

Adjudicator wrote:
LittlePete83 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Yeah, and step one to making it happen is to be smart about it and put yourself in the best position to succeed. Not sabotage yourself.

Unless you think the power of your positive thinking will overcome all real-life considerations. If so, then good luck to you.

It's not self sabotage. It's trying something that certain people are too scared to do. I couldn't take the LSATs in October or December because of personal reasons. Sure I wish I could have but life happened. I've been working my ass off to get to there I am today and I'll be damned if I'm not going to take every single chance I get to apply to law school, late or otherwise. There's no harm in applying for Fall 2011 especially with fee waivers.

And thanks for the luck but I don't need it. I make shit happen. If I listened to people like you, I would be sweeping up hair at Great Clips. Now go pump my gas. I haven't got all day.

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:39 am

LittlePete83 wrote:It's not self sabotage. It's trying something that certain people are too scared to do. I couldn't take the LSATs in October or December because of personal reasons. Sure I wish I could have but life happened. I've been working my ass off to get to there I am today and I'll be damned if I'm not going to take every single chance I get to apply to law school, late or otherwise. There's no harm in applying for Fall 2011 especially with fee waivers.

And thanks for the luck but I don't need it. I make shit happen. If I listened to people like you, I would be sweeping up hair at Great Clips. Now go pump my gas. I haven't got all day.

i need an lsat score from this poster. this may have been some of the dumbest logic ever.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:48 am

Lol, feisty.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:56 am

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
LittlePete83 wrote:It's not self sabotage. It's trying something that certain people are too scared to do. I couldn't take the LSATs in October or December because of personal reasons. Sure I wish I could have but life happened. I've been working my ass off to get to there I am today and I'll be damned if I'm not going to take every single chance I get to apply to law school, late or otherwise. There's no harm in applying for Fall 2011 especially with fee waivers.

i need an lsat score from this poster. this may have been some of the dumbest logic ever.

What the hell does an LSAT score have to do with anything? THAT is some messed up logic. Let me guess: You're a senior in college and have the whole world from soup to nuts figured out?

Allow me to restate my point while you're pumping that premium bullshit: I'm applying in February because I can and because I want to. You don't like it? Fine. Get back to heckling other people on this board because you're bitter about your own life and couldn't get into whatever elitist Ivy you've had a boner for since preschool. You go worry about your damn self because I'm gonna be fine.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:56 am

ahduth wrote:Lol, feisty.

Sounds like someone just wants daddy's approval :cry:

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:16 am

LittlePete83 wrote:

Too funny... would you prefer pugnacious?

LittlePete83 wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:i need an lsat score from this poster. this may have been some of the dumbest logic ever.

What the hell does an LSAT score have to do with anything? THAT is some messed up logic. Let me guess: You're a senior in college and have the whole world from soup to nuts figured out?

He's making a connection between the material being tested on the LSAT and the logic of the situation you're being presented with here.

Basically applying in February isn't that great. As long as your recommendations and personal statement and so forth are in perfect condition, you'll be fine - even if you get rejected, you can reapply next cycle. Remember that if you reapply, they'll have both applications to look at, so this one can't be shoddy or rushed.

Your... determination is commendable, but getting into a top law school is pretty hard. It's a drawn out affair for most people. You don't get in just because you wanted it more badly than the other guy - you get in because you took your time to get everything right.

Anyhow good luck with your plan, I want updates, I feel personally invested in this now.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 am

ahduth wrote:
LittlePete83 wrote:

Too funny... would you prefer pugnacious?

LittlePete83 wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:i need an lsat score from this poster. this may have been some of the dumbest logic ever.

He's making a connection between the material being tested on the LSAT and the logic of the situation you're being presented with here.

Basically applying in February isn't that great. As long as your recommendations and personal statement and so forth are in perfect condition, you'll be fine - even if you get rejected, you can reapply next cycle. Remember that if you reapply, they'll have both applications to look at, so this one can't be shoddy or rushed.

Your... determination is commendable, but getting into a top law school is pretty hard. It's a drawn out affair for most people. You don't get in just because you wanted it more badly than the other guy - you get in because you took your time to get everything right.

Anyhow good luck with your plan, I want updates, I feel personally invested in this now.

haha, you know what? I've just gotten shit from so many people that I've had to thicken my skin when it comes to my future. As for my logic, I don't think anything in this post could be used to construct a decent LSAT logic question. I guess my point is that you have to have the balls to do what you want to do even when there are people telling you not to or that you can't. (Really) long story short, do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

As for me, I know that my UG GPA isn't anywhere near top school standards which is fine. I live in Colorado and want to stay in-state. My softs are pretty great including a 4.0 in a legal-oriented master's program. Hopefully taking the extra two months to study will help me out more than getting an app in. I would have taken a risk either way so, here I am. Saturday night on some law school message board like it's 1998 or something.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”