Northeastern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
imalongshot

Re: Northeastern 2011

Postby imalongshot » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:06 am

Also waitlisted a couple of weeks ago. I spoke with admissions and they said they did not open last year's waitlist until August of last year.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:49 am

imalongshot wrote:Also waitlisted a couple of weeks ago. I spoke with admissions and they said they did not open last year's waitlist until August of last year.

Who did you talk to in admissions? I called as well and I was told that after May 1st they would start "the application melt-down" process. She didn't tell me about last years process however, she did say that they did admit wait lists last year. I hope they admit sooner then August.

imalongshot

Postby imalongshot » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:25 am

singingkris wrote:
imalongshot wrote:Also waitlisted a couple of weeks ago. I spoke with admissions and they said they did not open last year's waitlist until August of last year.

Who did you talk to in admissions? I called as well and I was told that after May 1st they would start "the application melt-down" process. She didn't tell me about last years process however, she did say that they did admit wait lists last year. I hope they admit sooner then August.

I spoke with the administrative assistant in the Admissions Office. May 1st is the deadline for admitted students to accept offers from the school. After that deadline, Admissions will decide if it is necessary to delve into their wait-list. If so, they will select from the wait-list according to diversity standards that they want to adhere to. That is to say, they will seek to replace those students "lost" from the admitted pool with wait-listed students with similar profiles.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:09 am

imalongshot wrote:
singingkris wrote:

I spoke with the administrative assistant in the Admissions Office. May 1st is the deadline for admitted students to accept offers from the school. After that deadline, Admissions will decide if it is necessary to delve into their wait-list. If so, they will select from the wait-list according to diversity standards that they want to adhere to. That is to say, they will seek to replace those students "lost" from the admitted pool with wait-listed students with similar profiles.

TY for the info. She didn't happen to tell you how big their wait list is?

imalongshot

Postby imalongshot » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:21 am

singingkris wrote:
imalongshot wrote:
singingkris wrote:

Nope.

Northeastern is my top choice. I, too, hope they open up the wait-list way before August this year. I have an offer from Mercer Law, but I'm not sure I want to study there.

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 pm

singingkris wrote:
imalongshot wrote:
singingkris wrote:

I'm in the same boat. By my count there are 16 waitlisted applicants on LSN. That's quite a bit compared to some of the other schools in the same range. Good luck to both of you!

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Then you have to take into consideration how many people don't have a profile on LSN (I don't). How many applicants do you think are on the wl? Is it in the 100s? lol...I hope not.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:09 pm

singingkris wrote:Then you have to take into consideration how many people don't have a profile on LSN (I don't). How many applicants do you think are on the wl? Is it in the 100s? lol...I hope not.

I don't either so we are officially at 18 & counting. I sure hope you're right & there is not 100 + but there is definitely a LOT.

I'm planning a trip to check out the school, does anybody have any recommendations on which area I should try to stay? I have never been to Boston, and I don't have a lot of $ to spend on a hotel. I'm cool w/ anything that is clean & within 15-20 minutes of the school. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

imalongshot

Postby imalongshot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
singingkris wrote:Then you have to take into consideration how many people don't have a profile on LSN (I don't). How many applicants do you think are on the wl? Is it in the 100s? lol...I hope not.

I don't either so we are officially at 18 & counting. I sure hope you're right & there is not 100 + but there is definitely a LOT.

I'm planning a trip to check out the school, does anybody have any recommendations on which area I should try to stay? I have never been to Boston, and I don't have a lot of $ to spend on a hotel. I'm cool w/ anything that is clean & within 15-20 minutes of the school. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I stayed at a hostel for one night last week to visit the school. It was safe, clean, cheap (39.99 for the night) and a ten minute walk from the school. Free continental breakfast in the morning as well. It is located at 12 Hemenway St., Boston, MA. 02115 - Telephone: (617) 536-9455. Website: --LinkRemoved--. Be sure to bring flip-flops for the shower (shared bathroom). Also, I don't know where you're traveling from, but I took a Megabus there from NYC and back, only cost me $26.

I looked at hotels to stay at in the area, and I couldn't find anything decent and at a reasonable distance from the school for under $120.

Have a great trip.

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:11 pm

imalongshot wrote:
Wactawshus wrote:

I stayed at a hostel for one night last week to visit the school. It was safe, clean, cheap (39.99 for the night) and a ten minute walk from the school. Free continental breakfast in the morning as well. It is located at 12 Hemenway St., Boston, MA. 02115 - Telephone: (617) 536-9455. Website: --LinkRemoved--. Be sure to bring flip-flops for the shower (shared bathroom). Also, I don't know where you're traveling from, but I took a Megabus there from NYC and back, only cost me $26.

I looked at hotels to stay at in the area, and I couldn't find anything decent and at a reasonable distance from the school for under $120.

Have a great trip.

Thanks! I actually saw that hostel and thought it looked pretty good. I'm with the SO though and I don't think she would be cool with that. I found a bare bones hotel in Bedford for $59 per night. It's the best I could do given the short time frame we're working with. Thank you though for your help & info.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri May 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi everyone, any word on the wl? From what I gathered from my phone conversation, is that they wouldn't start reviewing the wl until late May/early June. However, someone on LSN posted a WL/reject. The first movement posted for wls. Unless the poster made a mistake and meant to post under Northwestern?

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri May 13, 2011 4:36 pm

I called the school there is no such thing as wl/rejection. They keep their wl open up until class starts. So you're either selected or you're not. But, they will never Reject off the waitlist.

save the world

Postby save the world » Fri May 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Just got an email asking if I want to stay on the waitlist. FYI.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri May 20, 2011 12:32 pm

save the world wrote:Just got an email asking if I want to stay on the waitlist. FYI.

+1
Does this mean we can start anticipating movement soon?

smartinez

Postby smartinez » Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am

singingkris wrote:
save the world wrote:Just got an email asking if I want to stay on the waitlist. FYI.

+1

as of this week the WL has not been activated :( theyre on track with the numbers they want

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Wed May 25, 2011 12:16 pm

smartinez wrote:
singingkris wrote:

+1

as of this week the WL has not been activated :( theyre on track with the numbers they want

Oh bummer. Thanks for sharing. Did you call?

imalongshot

Postby imalongshot » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:10 pm

I called today and they said they have around 200 people on the wait list. =^[

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:33 pm

imalongshot wrote:I called today and they said they have around 200 people on the wait list. =^[

Oh GAWD that's horrible :(

Full steam ahead.

smartinez

Postby smartinez » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 am

This thread may be bias regarding my question but here it goes:

Suffolk Law: $20,000
Northeastern: WL

Either way I will be in Boston, so if my number comes up on the NEU wait list should I go and forfeit the money? what do some TLS forum posters think?

probably should clarify: $20,000 in scholarship out of $65k COA

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 am

smartinez wrote:This thread may be bias regarding my question but here it goes:

Suffolk Law: $20,000
Northeastern: WL

Either way I will be in Boston, so if my number comes up on the NEU wait list should I go and forfeit the money? what do some TLS forum posters think?

probably should clarify: $20,000 in scholarship out of $65k COA

Do the ratings matter to you? Isn't Suffolk TTTT? I would say go with the school that tailors the most to your needs. Northeastern is unique in that they offer that co-op program, yet they lack grades. Is this this the type of learning environment that you would most flourish in?
Northeastern specifically sits very well with my learning style.
If you are lucky to get off Northeastern's WL (200 people) would you pass that up? Also, how would that impact your financial aid or student loans? All things you need to consider. Fortunately, you will already be in Boston so transitioning admittance to Northeastern should be cake.

imalongshot

Postby imalongshot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Called the Admissions Office today - no wait-list activity yet as they are still "over-enrolled."

Just thought I'd share.

Temple11

Postby Temple11 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Does anyone know when the 2nd seat deposit is due? I've heard that it's 7/1, but I'm not positive that is correct. If it is 7/1 then maybe there will be some waitlist movement a week or two after that.

boilerplated

Postby boilerplated » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Hey all. I've been accepted to Northeastern as a transfer student and will likely attend. I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about housing either near the campus or near a conveniently situated T stop. I don't know much about Boston and will have to figure out a housing situation on short notice or from a distance. Don't really know where to begin.

blerner1

Postby blerner1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:03 am

boilerplated wrote:Hey all. I've been accepted to Northeastern as a transfer student and will likely attend. I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about housing either near the campus or near a conveniently situated T stop. I don't know much about Boston and will have to figure out a housing situation on short notice or from a distance. Don't really know where to begin.

http://www.northeastern.edu/offcampus/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”