Northeastern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tropicalpeach

Re: Northeastern 2011

Postby tropicalpeach » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Okay, so I hate to post this here, but where is a link to withdraw after being admitted? Do I just send an email to the admissions department? Hopefully I am opening up a space for you guys!

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Still sitting complete at 1/14, a few days after I submitted. GPA is a not-great 2.8, but LSAT was a decent 165 and I'm a non-trad with good softs and work experience. Did my file fall behind a cabinet or something?
I'm already irritated that the deadline for the public interest scholarship application was a few days before the December scores came out, so I couldn't apply for that. Yeah, I took the LSAT in October, but I had to retake in December because I didn't get the score I knew I could. C'mon Northeastern - at least look at my file, would ya?

barklm

Postby barklm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:28 am

Northeastern was one of the first schools I heard back from. Helped to temper my blood pressure during this process!

I applied on 1/31, my application went "complete" on 2/1, and I received notification of my acceptance via email on 2/7.
My formal letter of acceptance arrived via USPS, with scholarship information, on 2/9.

It seems that my scholarship offer was generous for the school but the remaining cost still seems high to me.
(Then again it's law school so this feeling really isn't too surprising/unusual.)

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 am

Lawst wrote:Still sitting complete at 1/14, a few days after I submitted. GPA is a not-great 2.8, but LSAT was a decent 165 and I'm a non-trad with good softs and work experience. Did my file fall behind a cabinet or something?
I'm already irritated that the deadline for the public interest scholarship application was a few days before the December scores came out, so I couldn't apply for that. Yeah, I took the LSAT in October, but I had to retake in December because I didn't get the score I knew I could. C'mon Northeastern - at least look at my file, would ya?

sitting complete at 1/14 as well...

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 am

lsatextreme wrote:
Lawst wrote:Still sitting complete at 1/14, a few days after I submitted. GPA is a not-great 2.8, but LSAT was a decent 165 and I'm a non-trad with good softs and work experience. Did my file fall behind a cabinet or something?

sitting complete at 1/14 as well...

I think both our apps are in a folder that's being used to level a table leg or something... :lol:

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 am

barklm wrote:Northeastern was one of the first schools I heard back from. Helped to temper my blood pressure during this process!

I applied on 1/31, my application went "complete" on 2/1, and I received notification of my acceptance via email on 2/7.
My formal letter of acceptance arrived via USPS, with scholarship information, on 2/9.

It seems that my scholarship offer was generous for the school but the remaining cost still seems high to me.
(Then again it's law school so this feeling really isn't too surprising/unusual.)

Congrats - you have a great GPA. No wonder they snagged you so quickly.

barklm

Postby barklm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am

Lawst wrote:
barklm wrote:Northeastern was one of the first schools I heard back from. Helped to temper my blood pressure during this process!

Congrats - you have a great GPA. No wonder they snagged you so quickly.

Thank you very much!

To be honest though I have been having a hard time figuring out the rhyme or reason behind the logic used in the admissions process - so far it seems to be erratic. I'm thankful but goodness knows why mine went through like it did. I guess what I'm trying to say is not to lose hope! I'm sorry that Northeastern has taken so long to get back to you. The waiting is arduous but I know that a couple of friends of mine who applied also went through a lengthy admissions process but were ultimately accepted. (Not this cycle.)

I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully they see the error of their ways soon and won't keep you waiting much longer!

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:37 pm

In, via status checker. They never did update my complete date from 1/14 - it was still at 1/14 as of an hour or two ago when I did my daily rounds. Then I got an e-mail telling me a decision had been rendered and to see the result on the status checker.
Thank you for not forgetting me, after all, NUSL!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Lawst wrote:In, via status checker. They never did update my complete date from 1/14 - it was still at 1/14 as of an hour or two ago when I did my daily rounds. Then I got an e-mail telling me a decision had been rendered and to see the result on the status checker.
Thank you for not forgetting me, after all, NUSL!

i haven't gotten an email (yet) but I just checked mine since mine was suck on complete 1/14 as well, and now it just says complete 2/25...I guess they're reading mine again or something

oh and congrats!!!!

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 pm

mailing in today wohoo! thanks to lsatextreme

Papa Smurf

Postby Papa Smurf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Accepted yesterday (2/24), submitted/complete 2/16, money TBD... I guess I was an auto-admit haha

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:Accepted yesterday (2/24), submitted/complete 2/16, money TBD... I guess I was an auto-admit haha

yeah man, if u got in anywhere else, don't forget to withdraw to help us out

Papa Smurf

Postby Papa Smurf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:15 pm

red_alertz wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:Accepted yesterday (2/24), submitted/complete 2/16, money TBD... I guess I was an auto-admit haha

yeah man, if u got in anywhere else, don't forget to withdraw to help us out

For sure man, they would need to give me at least a half-ride (giggity) to be a serious contender anyway

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Anyone doing the financial aid chat at noon?

Edit: well that didn't last long, no they don't match, no they don't increase merit after the initial reward

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 pm

kch3684 wrote:Anyone doing the financial aid chat at noon?

Edit: well that didn't last long, no they don't match, no they don't increase merit after the initial reward

I couldn't do that chat because I was at work. If there's no mention of merit aid in my acceptance letter via snail mail, does that mean no merit aid? Or do they notify you a different way?

barklm

Postby barklm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:27 am

Lawst wrote:

I couldn't do that chat because I was at work. If there's no mention of merit aid in my acceptance letter via snail mail, does that mean no merit aid? Or do they notify you a different way?

I believe it's included in the initial letter. (Don't know if it's the same for everyone, but that's how mine was.)

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 am

Lawst wrote:

They said if you didn't get any merit aid in the initial letter then you weren't going to get any (sorry!) but that if you didn't get merit based aid you were eligible for need-based aid which doesn't require any additional forms. Since the merit aid typically ran about $8,000 maybe the need based will be better depending on your situation. And if you got merit you are not eligible for need based which seemed odd.

subtle

Postby subtle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 am

kch3684 wrote:
Lawst wrote:

They said if you didn't get any merit aid in the initial letter then you weren't going to get any (sorry!) but that if you didn't get merit based aid you were eligible for need-based aid which doesn't require any additional forms. Since the merit aid typically ran about $8,000 maybe the need based will be better depending on your situation. And if you got merit you are not eligible for need based which seemed odd.

Seriously? Money ~$8,000 doesn't help a ton when your tuition is what NE's is...

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am

Some people got more but the most common award was $8000. I agree with you that it's not even a drop in the bucket considering tuition and cost of living, they claim that you can get paid for some of your co-ops which help offset the cost but that's IF you can get a paying one or get one that qualifies for the public interest stipend. As much as I loved the co-op idea this may be it for me since, for me, it's just too much debt

subtle

Postby subtle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 am

I got $8,500 and when I got it was like I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that...

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 am

subtle wrote:
kch3684 wrote:
Lawst wrote:

Seriously? Money ~$8,000 doesn't help a ton when your tuition is what NE's is...

I'd probably get screwed on need-based aid as well. I'm working full-time now. I won't have an income when I'm in school though, and I have no savings because I've been paying off debts before starting school. But on paper, I won't look poor. Blah.
It was bad enough that their PI scholarship deadline was too early for December LSAT takers - I definitely would have applied for that.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm

tag

SunshineKid

Postby SunshineKid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 pm

my complete date changed to 2/16...

cool of law

Postby cool of law » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:14 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:Okay, so I hate to post this here, but where is a link to withdraw after being admitted? Do I just send an email to the admissions department? Hopefully I am opening up a space for you guys!

I sent an email to admissions

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Waitlisted today, does anyone know how hard it is to get off the waitlist?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”