Northeastern 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wokeemilo

Re: Northeastern 2011

Postby wokeemilo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 pm

kch3684 wrote:I participated in the admitted students chat...if they'd grant more aid it would be much higher on my list. Maybe they'll negotiate?

how was that? learn anything new? i too only got the $8,500/year.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:33 pm

wokeemilo wrote:
kch3684 wrote:I participated in the admitted students chat...if they'd grant more aid it would be much higher on my list. Maybe they'll negotiate?

how was that? learn anything new? i too only got the $8,500/year.

I think 8,500 is more or less the typical high mark. Northeastern would have to give so much much more than that to be an option b/c it costs way too much when considering the cost-benefit of going there.

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Same feelings here. No matter how much I like the co-op program I can't choose Northeastern over BU when Northeastern barely gives me any money.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Agree with the general theme- with a 3.6 at a really respected undergrad and a 171 lsat I was hoping for maybe half tuition....I'm thinking $9000 does not make it worth turning down BC or BU. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 pm

cassidylane wrote:Agree with the general theme- with a 3.6 at a really respected undergrad and a 171 lsat I was hoping for maybe half tuition....I'm thinking $9000 does not make it worth turning down BC or BU. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

With those stats, I wouldn't even go to BC or BU.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 pm

I just received my acceptance letter in the mail- but no mention of money....Should the offer of money be in the letter or does it come separately?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:I just received my acceptance letter in the mail- but no mention of money....Should the offer of money be in the letter or does it come separately?

Should be there.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:46 pm

ran12 wrote:
tropicalpeach wrote:I just received my acceptance letter in the mail- but no mention of money....Should the offer of money be in the letter or does it come separately?

Should be there.

Ugh. with a 167, I thought I would have least gotten the 8500. I even visited NE. It's too bad as I was seriously considering going there.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:12 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Should be there.

Ugh. with a 167, I thought I would have least gotten the 8500. I even visited NE. It's too bad as I was seriously considering going there.

Send admissions an email or just call - I'm sure they'll be happy to confirm whether you got a scholly or not. When I was admitted, I was speaking to one of the admissions people, and she offered to look it up for me.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:24 pm

I recently visited NUSL, so if anyone has any questions about the campus let me know.

alisyn313

Postby alisyn313 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm

NUSL 1L here...anyone have any general questions?

slfische100

Postby slfische100 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 am

Got in last year ('10) but deferred--although I'm 25 and not living at home does anyone know if NEU requires parents info on the FAFSA?

Krodizzle

Postby Krodizzle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Just got in! 157/3.8 URM

linquest

Postby linquest » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:12 am

slfische100 wrote: does anyone know if NEU requires parents info on the FAFSA?

No, it doesn't.

Eagles1986L

Postby Eagles1986L » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Northeastern is the only school I've heard back from. 165/3.77, $60K scholarship over 3 years.

sailerar

Postby sailerar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 pm

just got accepted today, 3.54 gpa, 153 lsat, urm.

sailerar

Postby sailerar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:24 pm

alisyn313 wrote:NUSL 1L here...anyone have any general questions?

yah, how do you like it? the campus, the classes, the co-op, boston...?

alisyn313

Postby alisyn313 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:21 am

sailerar wrote:
alisyn313 wrote:NUSL 1L here...anyone have any general questions?

yah, how do you like it? the campus, the classes, the co-op, boston...?

I am a big fan of NUSL. I feel like what the students say is taken into consideration and whenever they (administration and professors) can help you, inside and outside of class, they are more than willing to. As a single parent of a 3 year old, I knew NUSL would be a good fit for me and so far it has. (The only other school I was accepted to that seemed to accommodate to parents was UConn and I was also considering UNLV.)

OK...the campus is nice. I drive to campus which takes about 60-75 mins, most students take public transportation or live close by. The law school has 2 different buildings that are connected; one is old while the other was done, I think, 2-3 years ago. There is an amazing gym directly across from the law school and yummy places to eat/drink (again, I am a single parent so I am not totally into the campus life). Also, I was very active before law school (use to go to the gym 3-5x per week) but during the first semester it was hard to find time to go to the gym. So I ended up buying an elliptical for use at home. It's more convenient and believe me, wherever you decide to go for law school, once you are there every second and minute will be rationed and accounted for.

The classes are good. For the most part we have really dedicated professors who are usually available and have an open door policy. At most law schools you take the usually first year classes, Torts, Civ Pro, Property, LRW etc. Here at NUSL you are also apart of a "law office" (with usually 12-14 other students and you will be with these individuals for the whole year, in the law office and all you regular classes) and you work the entire year on an "issue" or "question" for your client. While this provides you with tons of experience (I think is helped me land my summer job back in November), it can be very time-consuming and draining. If you are inspired by your project's goal you will fight though all of the hard-work. Overall, I feel that if I can successfully complete my first year at NUSL, I am confident I can flourish at anything.

Co-op...so I start my first co-op this summer so I cannot yet speak on it. I must say, I was uneasy about doing interviews during the first semester while I was still trying to get a handle on my classes. All in all, I am glad I got it out of the way because this second semester is tougher and while some of my classmates are going out on interviews, I am happy I have already secured a placement (just one less thing to worry about). I am excited for my co-op experience though. I will be working directly with clients this summer, drafting memos (at least 2), and may even get the opportunity to present to a judge (not argue for a client, you need a 3:03 for that).

Boston...I am originally from Detroit and was living in Las Vegas before relocating to Boston. I finished my UG here so I have been here for almost 4 years. My view of the city is jaded because I am more of a West Coast type of person (give me some sun and Vitamin D). A lot of people love the city but personally, I plan to leave after law school.

NUSL is an awesome school and even though I am a single parent and can't spend tons of time on campus I am currently involved in SBA Admissions, Black Law Student Association, among other clubs.

Sorry for any spelling errors or grammar issues, it's 2am and I'm sick :|

Good luck everyone and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:21 am

complete 1/21
e-mail acceptance 1/25

just got the letter in the mail today, 20k/year plus 3k stipend if i do a PI co-op. (3.66/164)

seems like a really good deal, but i'm still waiting on a few southern california schools. i'm from NY, and this winter has just got me really bummed out-- i think i'm ready to move somewhere permanently where i don't have to deal with this freaking snow all the time.

@alisyn... i heard something about the grades, they're set up differently or there's no ranking or something? can you elaborate on this? also, what are the job prospects looking like for 3Ls (or at least your sense of this)? do most people get hired from one of their co-ops? is it difficult to get a co-op out of region (i.e. say, california)? also, you mentioned your vitamin D :) i'm hoping for some guidance on northeastern vs. loyola los angeles... i'm obviously not going to get nearly as much money at loyola, and money is a very big concern for me, do you think it's worth it? or do you think i should stick out 3 more years in the cold and then try to get a job/move out there? thanks for offering up some answers for us!

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:48 am

The experience at Northeastern may be great, but the job prospects outside of Boston (and even in Boston) aren't unless you are interested in public interest/government work. I talked to a number of lawyers on their firms hiring committees and they said it is really hard for them to evaluate Northeastern students because there are no grades. They admitted it is not always fair, but this hurts the job prospects of Northeastern grads. That is not to say you wont get a good job, but it will be much harder than if you went to a BC or BU caliber school.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 pm

lmtt wrote:The experience at Northeastern may be great, but the job prospects outside of Boston (and even in Boston) aren't unless you are interested in public interest/government work. I talked to a number of lawyers on their firms hiring committees and they said it is really hard for them to evaluate Northeastern students because there are no grades. They admitted it is not always fair, but this hurts the job prospects of Northeastern grads. That is not to say you wont get a good job, but it will be much harder than if you went to a BC or BU caliber school.

What if you do want to go into PI? Would that change things, or do you think it's still better to go to a higher ranked school with grades? It seems like the co-ops, especially if you did all of them in PI, should make up for the lack of evaluative structure.

This also circles back to my question to alisyn about 3L prospects of getting a job with one of the organizations that they did a co-op with...

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 pm

I wish other schools had this co-op program.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Withdrew today. Hopefully my spot will open for one of you guys!

alisyn313

Postby alisyn313 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:05 pm

smittelman6 wrote:complete 1/21
e-mail acceptance 1/25

just got the letter in the mail today, 20k/year plus 3k stipend if i do a PI co-op. (3.66/164)

seems like a really good deal, but i'm still waiting on a few southern california schools. i'm from NY, and this winter has just got me really bummed out-- i think i'm ready to move somewhere permanently where i don't have to deal with this freaking snow all the time.

@alisyn... i heard something about the grades, they're set up differently or there's no ranking or something? can you elaborate on this? also, what are the job prospects looking like for 3Ls (or at least your sense of this)? do most people get hired from one of their co-ops? is it difficult to get a co-op out of region (i.e. say, california)? also, you mentioned your vitamin D :) i'm hoping for some guidance on northeastern vs. loyola los angeles... i'm obviously not going to get nearly as much money at loyola, and money is a very big concern for me, do you think it's worth it? or do you think i should stick out 3 more years in the cold and then try to get a job/move out there? thanks for offering up some answers for us!

I got my evaluations back a few days ago and although there are "buzz words" in them that you can equate to a grade, I was left "longing" for a letter grade instead :)

During 2L and 3L, they do offer Honors and High Honors. I think the most important thing, and actually most useful, is that you get a written evaluation from your co-op employer. This may be given more weight then a receiving a B in a particular course when you able to show a stellar evaluation from a district court judge, for example. This is what I have heard but I'm sure if you don't come in to NUSL with a plan and an understanding of where you want to co-op then things may be a bit harder for you when you graduate and try to go back to Cali. Personally, I plan to get a MPH at Tufts (dual degree), where I will get letter grades (a plus to add to my NUSL transcript) and I plan to do later coops outside of Boston (I also hope to do one in China "我爱中国", which is so possible at NUSL).

I don't believe getting a coop outside on Mass. is too difficult. A lot of people do it and the coop office at NUSL has a list of employers that interview and employ NUSL students for coops every quarter. When I speak to upper levels, that tell me that I am "lucky" to have a placement so early and that some 2L and 3L don't have placements yet. I would take that with a grain of salt though; those upperclassmen may be more picky about placements because they are further along and have to give more thought to what they do at this point.

Ok I have to finish this memo but I will be calling admitted students in March so if you would like to speak with me directly or other students at NUSL you can message me your information. Congrats! :D

Oh btw, deciding on a school is such a personal internal issue (I believe) but after you here from all of the schools you applied to, I would sit down and think about EVERYTHING associated with the schools: location, tuition, living expenses, job prospects, etc. Again, congrats and good luck!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Anyone else apply for the PILS? If so, has anyone heard anything yet??

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”