admissions over the holidays

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

admissions over the holidays

Postby mistermister » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 pm

what can be expected in terms of admissions activity over the next 2.5 weeks. Will schools be sending decision the week before Christmas? The week between Christmas and New Years?

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:58 pm

I would guess there would be some the week before and then right before 1.1.11

User avatar
neveragain224
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby neveragain224 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Does anyone know of a way to find out admissions decisions that solely come by snail mail if you are going home for the holidays? My building won't forward mail for only three weeks.

Teflon1974
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:02 am

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby Teflon1974 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:03 pm

neveragain224 wrote:Does anyone know of a way to find out admissions decisions that solely come by snail mail if you are going home for the holidays? My building won't forward mail for only three weeks.


The post office will. Go to your local post office and ask them to hold or forward your mail for that time period.

User avatar
neveragain224
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby neveragain224 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Teflon1974 wrote:
neveragain224 wrote:Does anyone know of a way to find out admissions decisions that solely come by snail mail if you are going home for the holidays? My building won't forward mail for only three weeks.


The post office will. Go to your local post office and ask them to hold or forward your mail for that time period.


The only problem is I had my application addresses set to my school's post office, which is refusing to forward over winter break. Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat and how they planned to deal with it.

User avatar
leopardRAWR
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby leopardRAWR » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Don't know if this is useful/will work in your situation, and it's not cheap, but I figured I'd throw this option out there as well: http://www.usps.com/receive/premiumforwarding/ There's also supposedly a cheaper forwarding service you can use through USPS, but I can't find a link to it. I also have heard some serious mail delay complaints from people who have used it.

Has anyone actually forwarded their mail from their school address to their home address for the break? I am really tempted to. I have a feeling if I do, I won't receive a single snail-mail only decision over break, and if I don't, I will get some magical decisions from reach schools in a mixed batch of acceptances and denials and be left waiting for awhile.

User avatar
Iceman389
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby Iceman389 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm not sure if you guys have this option but my school said that I could call once a week and ask them to look for any specific pieces of mail and if one of them is there then they would forward it. I'm in the same boat though no automatic forward.

Woods, Elle
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:20 pm

I think you could also email the school. For example St. John's said they sent a decision last Thursday, and if I didn't get it by tomorrow I could email (which I will be doing). I think you could probably do the same with other schools, I'm sure they'd understand.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:00 am

Is it even worth it to have mail forwarded? It seems like USPS would just screw up and end up losing a lot of my mail.

Do any schools even release decisions/schollys from Dec 15 - Jan 15?

User avatar
LegallyBlonde923
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: admissions over the holidays

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:28 am

leopardRAWR wrote:Don't know if this is useful/will work in your situation, and it's not cheap, but I figured I'd throw this option out there as well: http://www.usps.com/receive/premiumforwarding/ There's also supposedly a cheaper forwarding service you can use through USPS, but I can't find a link to it. I also have heard some serious mail delay complaints from people who have used it.

Has anyone actually forwarded their mail from their school address to their home address for the break? I am really tempted to. I have a feeling if I do, I won't receive a single snail-mail only decision over break, and if I don't, I will get some magical decisions from reach schools in a mixed batch of acceptances and denials and be left waiting for awhile.


I haven't tried the temporary forwarding, but I recently moved and am dealing with the fall out of permanent forwarding. It takes forever to start working, and in the meantime they've been hording our mail at the post office. When I showed up to ask for it, they informed me I can't access it until the forwarding kicks in. It's a pain.

I'm just leaving my mail and driving the hour to school to check if I see TLS lighting up with mailings, I don't want to play with it... :? just my opinion though




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dietcoke1, Google [Bot], lawschoolbound2017, studyingeveryday, texteach and 25 guests