Texas Tech Fall 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawBound11

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby LawBound11 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I'll update with an amount as soon as I figure out if it's even still valid; I basically said in the email that I withdrew a week ago after an extended deadline they had given me, but was still curious as to whether this new offer is still valid or not.

:?

A12345 wrote:
LawBound11 wrote:Does anyone know if the scholarships they're offering are a one time thing, or per year? I know the letter says it is renewable, but just wanted to confirm if that means you receive the amount yearly, or if it is split up over the three years?

I actually withdrew, but just received a significant scholarship amount. I emailed back to ask what that means as it definitely throws a halt to my plans that I had thought I'd cemented if it's still applicable. I have no idea if my file just hadn't been updated, but I sent my email a week ago and just received this new offer. I'm so confused.

This is all so stressful!

How much did they increase it if you don't mind me asking?

Also the amount listed is per year amount. For instance, I received 15k per year and if I keep my scholarship the whole time I'll receive 45k in total

nomames

Postby nomames » Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm

A12345 wrote:
LawBound11 wrote:Does anyone know if the scholarships they're offering are a one time thing, or per year? I know the letter says it is renewable, but just wanted to confirm if that means you receive the amount yearly, or if it is split up over the three years?

I actually withdrew, but just received a significant scholarship amount. I emailed back to ask what that means as it definitely throws a halt to my plans that I had thought I'd cemented if it's still applicable. I have no idea if my file just hadn't been updated, but I sent my email a week ago and just received this new offer. I'm so confused.

Also the amount listed is per year amount. For instance, I received 15k per year and if I keep my scholarship the whole time I'll receive 45k in total

lucky you, I got 4K and begged for more and pulled out an additional 1K :roll:

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm

I had asked for more, withdrew, and then got this....I'm confused beyond belief. Do I follow my heart or my financial brain? :( (That's assuming he even comes back and says it's valid, and not a "My bad, didn't see you withdrew!")

nomames wrote:
A12345 wrote:

lucky you, I got 4K and begged for more and pulled out an additional 1K :roll:

emlawi

Postby emlawi » Tue May 10, 2011 12:48 pm

eeeee just got my very own TTU email address!! it all feels real now! :shock:

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:52 pm

emlawi wrote:eeeee just got my very own TTU email address!! it all feels real now! :shock:

Congrats!

I'm trying to figure out if I follow my heart or go with the financial offer. :cry:

grb

Postby grb » Tue May 10, 2011 1:35 pm

LawBound11 wrote:
emlawi wrote:eeeee just got my very own TTU email address!! it all feels real now! :shock:

Congrats!

I'm trying to figure out if I follow my heart or go with the financial offer. :cry:

will you spend the next 3 years wondering if you would have been happier some where else?

jmill

Postby jmill » Tue May 10, 2011 1:44 pm

+1

A12345

Postby A12345 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:00 pm

I have the same feeling haha

A12345

Postby A12345 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Yay!! I got 4000 in TPEG money!

alison12102

Postby alison12102 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 pm

How did you end up getting TPEG money? I've been looking up on that but can't find any useful information...

A12345

Postby A12345 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:28 pm

alison12102 wrote:How did you end up getting TPEG money? I've been looking up on that but can't find any useful information...

I guess because my efc was 0 since I'm in undergrad and only made like 9k last year

A12345

Postby A12345 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:30 pm

LawBound11 wrote:

Congrats!

Did they say your offer is valid even though you withdrew? If so sorry for the tough decision you are facing.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:58 pm

A12345 wrote:
alison12102 wrote:How did you end up getting TPEG money? I've been looking up on that but can't find any useful information...

I guess because my efc was 0 since I'm in undergrad and only made like 9k last year

Were you notified of your TPEG money by e-mail?

A12345

Postby A12345 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:30 pm

TT09 wrote:
A12345 wrote:

I was able to navigate to my financial aid award through raiderlink

jmill

Postby jmill » Tue May 10, 2011 3:56 pm

A12345 wrote:
TT09 wrote:
A12345 wrote:

Edited for RC fail on my part. Did they include your scholarship amount on your Finaid page, because I don't see it on mine?

A12345

Postby A12345 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:47 pm

jmill wrote:
A12345 wrote:
TT09 wrote:

Edited for RC fail on my part. Did they include your scholarship amount on your Finaid page, because I don't see it on mine?

Mine is not showing up either.

horsethief80

Postby horsethief80 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:23 am

A12345 wrote:
jmill wrote:
A12345 wrote:
TT09 wrote:

My scholarship info just came in the mail a few days ago, but it sounds like it's easy to figure out through raiderlink. I'm just curious if I'm the only one who was inspired to go to law school by "Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law"?

A12345

Postby A12345 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Has anyone been granted access to the stuff in MyTechLaw such as The Side Bar? Mine still shows up as access denied.

texas man

Postby texas man » Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 pm

A12345 wrote:Has anyone been granted access to the stuff in MyTechLaw such as The Side Bar? Mine still shows up as access denied.

As the summer progresses, (from what I remember) you will gain access to specific pages within MyTechLaw. TechMail and RaiderLink are the quick links utilized most often. There is also quite a bit of useful information on the Student Services page, including the course schedules, textbook lists, exams database, etc. Also, after your assignment to a section has been finalized, the Course Sites link should become available. During the semester, some professors will post assignments/attachments that are required/relevant to your studies in those classes.

From my experience, The Side Bar has not been used much by students (but perhaps this could change). Currently, some students are only using it to attempt to assign/sublease their apartments/houses. Also, I believe Professor Beyer is selling a 60" Sony rear-projection HDTV for $200. It is doubtful that this is a wise investment for a 1L.

One area I suggest investigating is Media.Law (a link under the quick links). Those interested in employment prospects and how Career Services works with students in getting jobs might find the presentations under the Career Services tab informative. I particularly recommend the "1L Fall Forecast Program"; this was a required presentation for us in April that was narrowly tailored to prepare us for OCI and other employment avenues.

alison12102

Postby alison12102 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question for you guys. It looks like our financial aid is up on Raiderlink, but ,ine just lists the Stafford loans and I can accept those, but I was wondering if anyone has anything other than that listed under their award like the scholarship or a PLUS loan. Jsut wondered if those just weren't put up yet or if I'm missing something. Thanks!

nomames

Postby nomames » Tue May 31, 2011 3:50 pm

alison12102 wrote:Hey everyone, I just had a quick question for you guys. It looks like our financial aid is up on Raiderlink, but ,ine just lists the Stafford loans and I can accept those, but I was wondering if anyone has anything other than that listed under their award like the scholarship or a PLUS loan. Jsut wondered if those just weren't put up yet or if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Mine looks the same as yours as of right now. Did you apply for a Grad Plus loan? I'm wondering if we need to apply asap or hold out a bit longer if we're riding out waitlists right now?

A12345

Postby A12345 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:13 pm

alison12102 wrote:Hey everyone, I just had a quick question for you guys. It looks like our financial aid is up on Raiderlink, but ,ine just lists the Stafford loans and I can accept those, but I was wondering if anyone has anything other than that listed under their award like the scholarship or a PLUS loan. Jsut wondered if those just weren't put up yet or if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Mine shows the Stafford Loans and Texas public education grant. It doesn't show my scholarship or plus loans

lawS

Postby lawS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted! I am currently on the waitlist and am waiting anxiously to hear back from the admissions committee. Was wondering if any of you would mind giving some tips/advice for how to get off the waitlist and into Tech! Any advice will help, thank you!!!

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm

lawS wrote:Hi everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted! I am currently on the waitlist and am waiting anxiously to hear back from the admissions committee. Was wondering if any of you would mind giving some tips/advice for how to get off the waitlist and into Tech! Any advice will help, thank you!!!

Good luck! I'd say stay in touch with some LOCIs. I sat on the WL from early December to May with no change (I did early decision). This includes a LOCI, campus visit, and a call to "administration" from a tech alumni that donates. When I heard about the tuition raise, I realized I had a better (financial) deal elsewhere. Not to knock Tech, I think it is a great school, and was my only early deicion program, not counting anyone's scholarship, it is still one of the best values in Texas!

*Note: I am around median LSAT, but only above 25th LSAC GPA. "Average" to "above average" softs.

Aldenita

Postby Aldenita » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 pm

lawS wrote:Hi everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted! I am currently on the waitlist and am waiting anxiously to hear back from the admissions committee. Was wondering if any of you would mind giving some tips/advice for how to get off the waitlist and into Tech! Any advice will help, thank you!!!

I withdrew, but I would suggest doing everything you can to show your legitimate interest. When I was speaking to the Dean, he was telling me that they are most proud of their practical approach to a legal education and that they're more interested in producing lawyers as opposed to professors and scholars. If you know any alums who know you well enough to write you a letter of rec, ask them ASAP. I have a feeling they appreciate that because my dad and uncle are alums and I was given a pretty large scholarship. To be fair, I was way above both medians though. Send them a LOCI explaining exactly why you want to go to Tech. The opportunities that you think you will be afforded by graduating from Tech what be a great way to start. Best of luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”