Texas Tech Fall 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wreckem
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby wreckem » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:51 pm

gobot1234 wrote:I received a waitlist letter a couple of weeks ago. However, when I checked online it says under Summer Entry Consideration. Has anyone seen this before? Does it mean I'm being considered for both?


It means they are considering you for the Summer Entry Program. The put 10-20 people in the Summer Entry Program to make sure they can handle law school. What it means is you'll likely get in under the Summer Entry Program. Which means you will start sometime in July and take a 2hr class called Intro to Legal Studies.

wreckem
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby wreckem » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:54 pm

A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:
A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:They bumped up my scholarship by $5,000 a year, so I sent in a deposit. I don't know what I'm going to do though. I have fallen in love with ASU :?


What did that increase your final scholarship amount to? I'm interested since our numbers are so similar. Mine was bumped up to 15k a year top 50%


Mine is 11K top 15%. 15k would probably be enough to tip the scales for me. Even if the tuition goes up by 26%, you're only going to pay 9k a year. If it doesn't go up much, you could end up paying 3 or 4k a year. Where else are you looking?


Top 15%? That is really rough. I'm looking at lsu and tech primarily.


Top 15% is really tough on the Tech curve(which apparently they may be changing in the future, probably not this next year though, we need a Dean first).

Top 50% isn't hard. 3 C+s and a B should do.

nomames
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby nomames » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 pm

wreckem wrote:
TT09 wrote:Got in off the WL on 4/8. Now, they offered me a $5k scholarship today contingent upon me staying in the top half of my class. It's pretty much going to be impossible to turn Tech down.


Glad you got a partial scholarship.

Last year no one, that I am aware of, on the WL got a scholarship. I had what I thought was at least 1/2 scholarship numbers and got squat.

There has to be a reason for the difference. Like they already know tuition is going to increase so they hand out 3-5K to everyone to make up for the increase, but in the end your right back at paying sticker?

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby A12345 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:19 pm

wreckem wrote:
A12345 wrote:Anyone know if Tech offers Perkins loans to Law Students or if there is TPEG money?


TPEG is offered but how much is available will depend on the budget passed by the State Legislature. The only fed loans available are Sub/Unsub Federal Direct Loans and Federal Direct GradPlus Loans.


Thanks for the information. Do you know if they award TPEG money to students that also received scholarships? I received a sizeable scholarship but I have a efc of 0 and I filled out the Fasfa right after it became available.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby txadv11 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 am

Withdrew. Good luck to everyone else.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby TT09 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 am

txadv11 wrote:Withdrew. Good luck to everyone else.


Driving up there today to check it out. Pumped to be back in the 806 for the first time in 2 years...

User avatar
jpenaonline
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby jpenaonline » Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 am

wreckem wrote:
gobot1234 wrote:I received a waitlist letter a couple of weeks ago. However, when I checked online it says under Summer Entry Consideration. Has anyone seen this before? Does it mean I'm being considered for both?


It means they are considering you for the Summer Entry Program. The put 10-20 people in the Summer Entry Program to make sure they can handle law school. What it means is you'll likely get in under the Summer Entry Program. Which means you will start sometime in July and take a 2hr class called Intro to Legal Studies.


I got the same status message. Does anyone know of anyone who's received this message and been denied SEP?

User avatar
LawBound11
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby LawBound11 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Just withdrew.

GL to everyone on the WL; I hope one of you gets my spot!

And, GL to those definitely attending - have a great 1L year!

nomames
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby nomames » Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 pm

LawBound11 wrote:Just withdrew.

GL to everyone on the WL; I hope one of you gets my spot!

And, GL to those definitely attending - have a great 1L year!

Tell Perez to give your 3K to meeeeee :P

User avatar
LawBound11
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby LawBound11 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:26 pm

nomames wrote:
LawBound11 wrote:Just withdrew.

GL to everyone on the WL; I hope one of you gets my spot!

And, GL to those definitely attending - have a great 1L year!

Tell Perez to give your 3K to meeeeee :P


Haha; I was told no higher offers would be given unless more $ was freed up elsewhere...so I guess I just freed up some of that $.

GL!

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby A12345 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:25 pm

I am for sure attending tech in the fall and look forward to meeting everyone. :)

Aldenita
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby Aldenita » Wed May 04, 2011 2:53 pm

I double deposited, but will likely withdraw. I had $11,000k a year. Hope someone here gets it.

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby A12345 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Aldenita wrote:I double deposited, but will likely withdraw. I had $11,000k a year. Hope someone here gets it.


Just wondering but why would you send both deposits unless you are absolutely 100% sure you are attending? Especially since it is not until June 1st

Aldenita
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby Aldenita » Wed May 04, 2011 6:06 pm

A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:I double deposited, but will likely withdraw. I had $11,000k a year. Hope someone here gets it.


Just wondering but why would you send both deposits unless you are absolutely 100% sure you are attending? Especially since it is not until June 1st


The deposit deadline for Tech came before I found out that I had gotten into ASU and what my scholarship offer was.

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby A12345 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Aldenita wrote:
A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:I double deposited, but will likely withdraw. I had $11,000k a year. Hope someone here gets it.


Just wondering but why would you send both deposits unless you are absolutely 100% sure you are attending? Especially since it is not until June 1st


The deposit deadline for Tech came before I found out that I had gotten into ASU and what my scholarship offer was.



The second 500 deposit isn't due till June 1st though. Just seems unnecessary to me to send both when there is even a slight chance you might not attend.

Aldenita
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby Aldenita » Thu May 05, 2011 12:18 pm

A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:
A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote:I double deposited, but will likely withdraw. I had $11,000k a year. Hope someone here gets it.


Just wondering but why would you send both deposits unless you are absolutely 100% sure you are attending? Especially since it is not until June 1st


The deposit deadline for Tech came before I found out that I had gotten into ASU and what my scholarship offer was.



The second 500 deposit isn't due till June 1st though. Just seems unnecessary to me to send both when there is even a slight chance you might not attend.


No, you misunderstood. When I said I double deposited, I meant that I sent a deposit to two different schools. I have only send one deposit out.

alison12102
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:59 am

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby alison12102 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:53 am

Well that was interesting email Stephen Perez sent today...

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby txadv11 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:03 pm

alison12102 wrote:Well that was interesting email Stephen Perez sent today...

Willing to share?

User avatar
LawBound11
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby LawBound11 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:06 pm

txadv11 wrote:
alison12102 wrote:Well that was interesting email Stephen Perez sent today...

Willing to share?


+1 - withdrew last week, but curious now as you said that!

emlawi
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby emlawi » Mon May 09, 2011 12:23 pm

here it is:

Dear ,


You might have read news accounts of proposed law school tuition increases for students entering in the 2011-12 academic year. I want to take this opportunity to address the reason and necessity for the increase.

The Facts
The law school has requested a $100 per semester credit hour increase to our law school tuition. This tuition comes directly to the law school to support law students. (Law students also pay tuition and fees that are required of all Texas Tech University students. The University has requested an increase to their tuition as well, and while the exact size of the increase has not been set, the Regents have determined it will not exceed 5.9%, or roughly $16.81 per credit hour. Some University fees might also change.)

Commitment to Students: Book stipend for all incoming students
As a tangible gesture signifying our commitment to you, every member of the Class of 2014 will receive a one-time book stipend of $500 when they enter in August.

We will make every effort to avoid further increases to your law school tuition while you are a student at the law school. Although future circumstances surrounding the state's fiscal situation are impossible to predict with any degree of certainty, we pledge to try to hold the line on your law school tuition. As a separate matter, please know that we do not control the main University's tuition or fees which apply to all Texas Tech students.

The Process
We did not decide on this tuition increase lightly. The Law School Budget Committee, which includes an officer from the Student Bar Association (the law school’s student government body), worked hard all year to assess the Law School’s needs and what limits to put on tuition increases. They also consulted other student leaders. The Committee unanimously recommended these increases. The funds will be used to do things like strengthen the faculty, increase scholarships, and support student services such as the Career Services Office.

Other Important Considerations
We encourage you to inform yourself and consider how Texas Tech compares to your other options. When doing so, however, make sure you compare tuition for the same academic year. Even after our proposed increases, our 2011-12 tuition and fees will continue to be significantly lower than all of our peer law schools. Some private schools in Texas have set their tuition increases for 2011-12 (Baylor, SMU, South Texas, St. Mary’s), and a few public law schools have, as well (Texas, Houston). Rates for other law schools in Texas will likely be determined sometime in the next few months. After you review all the data, we are confident that you will find that without question Texas Tech University School of Law provides the best value legal education in Texas.

Our school is proud of our best value status, which is based on low-student debt, high employment statistics, and high bar passage rate. Even with the proposed increases, your fees and tuition at Texas Tech University School of Law will be significantly lower than our competitors. We sincerely believe these increases are necessary to continue the recent strides made by our law school. We know that no one likes tuition increases, and we appreciate your understanding on this issue. In closing, please know that we are committed to ensuring that you, our students and future alumni, obtain the utmost benefit from your tuition, fees, and experiences at our law school.


Sincerely,

Stephen M. Perez, JD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Recruitment
Texas Tech University School of Law

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby txadv11 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for posting it!
Something kind of weird...
I want to take this opportunity to address the reason and necessity for the increase.

strengthen the faculty, increase scholarships, and support student services such as the Career Services Office.

nomames
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby nomames » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm

txadv11 wrote:Thanks for posting it!
Something kind of weird...
I want to take this opportunity to address the reason and necessity for the increase.

strengthen the faculty, increase scholarships, and support student services such as the Career Services Office.

lol, we're paying for our own scholarships...

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby A12345 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:27 pm

nomames wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Thanks for posting it!
Something kind of weird...
I want to take this opportunity to address the reason and necessity for the increase.

strengthen the faculty, increase scholarships, and support student services such as the Career Services Office.

lol, we're paying for our own scholarships...



hopefully the scholarship part was for current students for their 2l and 3l years. I won't see any of that increased scholarship money if it is just for incoming students haha.

User avatar
LawBound11
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby LawBound11 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Does anyone know if the scholarships they're offering are a one time thing, or per year? I know the letter says it is renewable, but just wanted to confirm if that means you receive the amount yearly, or if it is split up over the three years?

I actually withdrew, but just received a significant scholarship amount. I emailed back to ask what that means as it definitely throws a halt to my plans that I had thought I'd cemented if it's still applicable. I have no idea if my file just hadn't been updated, but I sent my email a week ago and just received this new offer. I'm so confused.

This is all so stressful!

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Postby A12345 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm

LawBound11 wrote:Does anyone know if the scholarships they're offering are a one time thing, or per year? I know the letter says it is renewable, but just wanted to confirm if that means you receive the amount yearly, or if it is split up over the three years?

I actually withdrew, but just received a significant scholarship amount. I emailed back to ask what that means as it definitely throws a halt to my plans that I had thought I'd cemented if it's still applicable. I have no idea if my file just hadn't been updated, but I sent my email a week ago and just received this new offer. I'm so confused.

This is all so stressful!


How much did they increase it if you don't mind me asking?

Also the amount listed is per year amount. For instance, I received 15k per year and if I keep my scholarship the whole time I'll receive 45k in total




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”