Texas Tech Fall 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aldenita

New

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2011

Post by Aldenita » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:07 pm

A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote: Congrats! I had a 161 and 3.9, so now I'm a little bit pissed off :evil: . ASU is looking better and better.
yea well my 12,000 scholarship just got slashed from a little over 2/3 scholarship to around half in a matter of seconds!
Please tell me you're considering other schools. Even if you did have to pay @12,000 a year, that's still pretty cheap.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Aldenita wrote:
A12345 wrote:
Aldenita wrote: Congrats! I had a 161 and 3.9, so now I'm a little bit pissed off :evil: . ASU is looking better and better.
yea well my 12,000 scholarship just got slashed from a little over 2/3 scholarship to around half in a matter of seconds!
Please tell me you're considering other schools. Even if you did have to pay @12,000 a year, that's still pretty cheap.
I'm considering LSU w/ an OOS waiver (tuition currently would be around 16k a year with fees) and maybe smu if they ever do anything with my app

what all places are you considering since we have such similar numbers.

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:13 pm

First I have to correct myself, 1L tutition for last year was $17755, under the proposal it could become $22400, or around a $4600 increase. Still sizeable. Sorry again for the slight error, I was posting in a hurry right before class.

Also I just want to reiterate that is not set in stone yet. Final determination of tuition increases will occur during the BOR meeting on May 12. However, as someone who has attended Tech for undergrad and now law, they typically increase it to the max of the cap they set in April.

Here are two articles, Law school increases are buried toward the bottom of them

http://www.dailytoreador.com/news/artic ... 0f31a.html

--LinkRemoved--

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm

A12345 wrote:
What was the wording of you scholarship? Its quite possible you may still get a 2/3 scholarship.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm

wreckem wrote:First I have to correct myself, 1L tutition for last year was $17755, under the proposal it could become $22400, or around a $4600 increase. Still sizeable. Sorry again for the slight error, I was posting in a hurry right before class.

Also I just want to reiterate that is not set in stone yet. Final determination of tuition increases will occur during the BOR meeting on May 12. However, as someone who has attended Tech for undergrad and now law, they typically increase it to the max of the cap they set in April.

Here are two articles, Law school increases are buried toward the bottom of them

--LinkRemoved--
22,400 is roughly the same cost of a private school in a big market: St. Mary's, Wesleyan, or South TX, (if you are a TX resident you can get a private school TEG of about $3000 from the state govt.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 pm

wreckem wrote:
A12345 wrote:
What was the wording of you scholarship? Its quite possible you may still get a 2/3 scholarship.
Every scholarship offer I have had so far has always been an amount and when I ask if that equates with rising tuition the answer is a resounding "No."

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:20 pm

txadv11 wrote:
At the law school: a tuition increase of $100 per semester credit hour, plus new law school fees for classrooms, technology, and legal fees will total $36 per credit hour.
Here are two others snippets

"Law students would see the largest increases if the proposals are passed by the board later this year. Board members voted to consider law-school tuition hikes of as high as $100 per credit hour, though second- and third-year students would be shielded." - LubbockOnline

"The document states there is a 26.33 percent cap increase in tuition and fees for the law school. A 26.33 percent cap would include a $100 increase per semester credit hour, a new $6 classroom and infrastructure technology fee per semester credit hour, and a new $30 law school legal resource fee per semester credit hour, the document states." Daily Toreador

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 pm

txadv11 wrote:
wreckem wrote:First I have to correct myself, 1L tutition for last year was $17755, under the proposal it could become $22400, or around a $4600 increase. Still sizeable. Sorry again for the slight error, I was posting in a hurry right before class.

--LinkRemoved--
22,400 is roughly the same cost of a private school in a big market: St. Mary's, Wesleyan, or South TX, (if you are a TX resident you can get a private school TEG of about $3000 from the state govt.)
Even for public schools, students are(possibly should change that to were) eligible for up to a $4000 TPEG grant. Budgeting issues in Austin is going to cut the number TEG and TPEG grants down by a considerable amount.

I just wanted to give prospective students a heads up there are tuition hikes incoming because it may or may not be otherwise mentioned to you. The exact details aren't fully known other than the quoted 26.33% cap, etc. Hopefully the 26.33% number is wrong or isn't approved. I am sure there will be more clarification over the next couple days/weeks. Final number won't be 100% known until May 12-13.

It sucks.
Last edited by wreckem on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 pm

wreckem wrote:
A12345 wrote:
it clearly stated that the award was for 12,000 a year and would leave tuition at 5,XXX , whereas my lsu scholly stated that it was a waiver of the OOS fee in the amount of XXX. I'm gonna contact them after the ASD this weekend and see if they can up their offer or at least keep it around the same percentage before th 25% increase.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:33 pm

A12345 wrote:
wreckem wrote:
A12345 wrote:
it clearly stated that the award was for 12,000 a year and would leave tuition at 5,XXX , whereas my lsu scholly stated that it was a waiver of the OOS fee in the amount of XXX. I'm gonna contact them after the ASD this weekend and see if they can up their offer or at least keep it around the same percentage before th 25% increase.
Thats ballsy of them to say it would leave tuition at $5xxx when they knew full well there would be tuition increases. How much, they might not have know, and still might not 100% but I was guessing a 9.95% increase prior to last night.

I'm not on a scholarship so I didn't know how they worded it.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm

wreckem wrote:
Thats ballsy of them to say it would leave tuition at $5xxx when they knew full well there would be tuition increases. How much, they might not have know, and still might not 100% but I was guessing a 9.95% increase prior to last night.

I'm not on a scholarship so I didn't know how they worded it.

I don't have the paper with me but it had something along the lines of comparing other texas schools tuition with tech's minus my scholarship it had something like

"17,775 (tech's 2010-2011 tuition and fees) - ________ (place where you put in your scholarship amount = your cost to attend texas tech"

or something along those lines

irenic

New

Post by irenic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Just got emailed today informing me that I've been accepted off of the wait list. Very excited!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:32 pm

irenic wrote:Just got emailed today informing me that I've been accepted off of the wait list. Very excited!
#s??? Pm me if you want I'm interested in my chances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:07 am

Just to help those with scholarships out as well as other information some might want to know.

Top 50% = ~2.8
Good standing(at least as defined in student handbook) = having a 2.0 each semester and having at least a 2.0 overall.

First year gpa/percentiles are: top 10% is around a 3.45, top 5% is around 3.6

Semester Dean's list(unpublished) is having a semester GPA of 3.2 or higher.

Honors are as follows, 3.2 cum laude, 3.4 magna cum laude, 3.6 summa cum laude

Tech grades on a C+ curve for first year classes, with the curve giving out Ds, sometimes Fs. You only fail(have to retake) with a F. Advanced courses are on a B curve.

Tech enforces its attendance policies by docking your grade or if you miss to many days withdrawing you from the course.

Tech's legal research/writing class is called Legal Practice. Its 3hr each semester. It is graded and yes its graded on the curve which completely sucks. Depending on prof it is just tolerable or down right terrible.

Law Review is write on only. There is no grade on which means you have to be damn good at legal writing, damn good at editing, and perfect at Blue booking(and possibly green booking) to make it on.

Overall Tech has some fantastic teachers who are very knowledgable in their fields. Former Dean Huffman, the former JAG of the Army remains an adjunct and teaches 1L Crim Law, as well as advanced courses such as National Security Law and Military law. Other than Huffman, Prof Loewy is also nationally known and teaches Crim Law, Crim Pro, and 1st amendment. You use his casebook if you have him. If you are interested in Tax Law, Tech has some top notch Tax profs. Same with Criminal Law.

irenic

New

Post by irenic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:12 pm

txadv11 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
So tuition at Texas Tech is almost assuredly going to increase to $22,400? When would we know this officially?

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:20 pm

irenic wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
So tuition at Texas Tech is almost assuredly going to increase to $22,400? When would we know this officially?

rage on increased tuition (on my way back from ASD)

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:23 pm

A12345 wrote:
irenic wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

rage on increased tuition (on my way back from ASD)
Let us know how it went!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:43 pm

txadv11 wrote:
Let us know how it went!
It went well. Very impressed with the professors and the new facilities for the law school. I liked the look of the campus and I do not think living in Lubbock would bother me at all. Some of the scheduled items on the agenda were rather bland (the financial aid session, which I was looking forward to, did not offer anything other than generic student loan information other than to expect financial aid packages in may). I was surprised that Tech did not have some sort of scheduled tour of the school set up although I went on a tour with a couple other accepted students after pretty much everyone else had left. The students seemed very informative and knowledgeable about the school and were extremely accommodating. I did not build up the guile to ask about the outrageous tuition increase and where the extra money would be going (I didn't want to be that guy). They seem like a great place to go if you are interested in advocacy work, although I'm not sure if that is for me so I'm not sure what Tech can offer me. I believe they prepare you to be an attorney the moment you leave the school and you will be prepared to sit for the bar. If you have anymore specific questions just let me know

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:01 pm

A12345 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
Let us know how it went!
It went well. Very impressed with the professors and the new facilities for the law school. I liked the look of the campus and I do not think living in Lubbock would bother me at all. Some of the scheduled items on the agenda were rather bland (the financial aid session, which I was looking forward to, did not offer anything other than generic student loan information other than to expect financial aid packages in may). I was surprised that Tech did not have some sort of scheduled tour of the school set up although I went on a tour with a couple other accepted students after pretty much everyone else had left. The students seemed very informative and knowledgeable about the school and were extremely accommodating. I did not build up the guile to ask about the outrageous tuition increase and where the extra money would be going (I didn't want to be that guy). They seem like a great place to go if you are interested in advocacy work, although I'm not sure if that is for me so I'm not sure what Tech can offer me. I believe they prepare you to be an attorney the moment you leave the school and you will be prepared to sit for the bar. If you have anymore specific questions just let me know
well fortunately for you, I asked the associate dean about the tuition increase. He told me that he wasn't sure how much it would increase, but that "all law school tuition across the country was going to increase." He also told me that current students won't have to pay the increased tuition, so they are pretty much expecting just the incoming 1Ls to solve the budget crisis. I was pleasantly surprised with the law school. The guy who taught our mock class was my dad's crim law professor. However, I can't imagine I would attend if the tuition does increase that much unless they throw a lot more money my way. It doesn't make sense on a financial and job prospect level to attend if I can attend tier 1 schools for the same price. All in all, the students seems to speak a lot more favorably about the their experience than students I have talked to at other schools (Baylor and UH in particular).

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:03 pm

A12345 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
Let us know how it went!
Hmm... I wonder if I was one of the students on the tour with you. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself during ASD.

On tuition increases: Funding for public schools in Texas has dropped quite a bit over the last two years, so all of the law schools at public universities have had to raise tuition to make up for the shortfall. Last year, UH had a pretty dramatic increase (you might find some threads on TLS about it). So, the "extra money" is primarily going to make up for the reduced funding from the State. Also, it costs money to hire more professors and offer more classes—both of which Tech has done for next year. Believe me, I appreciate the importance of the cost of tuition and how it enters into the decision-making process of where to attend law school—as it should. Crunch the numbers for all the schools you have been accepted to, including cost of living, to get a good idea of the total cost for 3 years at each of the schools. Also, if you have any concerns (with scholarships, for example), I would talk to Stephen Perez; he's a pretty nice guy and he's also straightforward (in my experiences talking to him).

If not interested in the advocacy programs (or litigation), what does Tech have to offer you? A great legal education for practically any type of law you are interested in practicing. I am interested in business law and IP (copyright, trademark), and whether I will be practicing transactional law or litigation, I know I'll be prepared to do so. Also, remember that "advocacy" is an important element of any type of legal practice, even if you never set foot in a courtroom. Nevertheless, there are many who believe that no matter what type of lawyer you are, you should know what to do if you ever have to set foot in a courtroom.

Anyway, if you have any questions about anything, including good restaurants to go to, etc., feel free to PM me.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:33 pm

texas man wrote:
A12345 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
Let us know how it went!

Hmm... I wonder if I was one of the students on the tour with you. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself during ASD.

On tuition increases: Funding for public schools in Texas has dropped quite a bit over the last two years, so all of the law schools at public universities have had to raise tuition to make up for the shortfall. Last year, UH had a pretty dramatic increase (you might find some threads on TLS about it). So, the "extra money" is primarily going to make up for the reduced funding from the State. Also, it costs money to hire more professors and offer more classes—both of which Tech has done for next year. Believe me, I appreciate the importance of the cost of tuition and how it enters into the decision-making process of where to attend law school—as it should. Crunch the numbers for all the schools you have been accepted to, including cost of living, to get a good idea of the total cost for 3 years at each of the schools. Also, if you have any concerns (with scholarships, for example), I would talk to Stephen Perez; he's a pretty nice guy and he's also straightforward (in my experiences talking to him).

If not interested in the advocacy programs (or litigation), what does Tech have to offer you? A great legal education for practically any type of law you are interested in practicing. I am interested in business law and IP (copyright, trademark), and whether I will be practicing transactional law or litigation, I know I'll be prepared to do so. Also, remember that "advocacy" is an important element of any type of legal practice, even if you never set foot in a courtroom. Nevertheless, there are many who believe that no matter what type of lawyer you are, you should know what to do if you ever have to set foot in a courtroom.

Anyway, if you have any questions about anything, including good restaurants to go to, etc., feel free to PM me.
Sent you a pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jmill

New

Post by jmill » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:42 pm

texas man wrote:
A12345 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
Let us know how it went!

I believe I was another one of those students who went on a tour after everything was done.

I appreciated how helpful the faculty and students were and how forthcoming they seemed with information. The other big thing, besides advocay, that I think was emphasized the legal writing and how Tech really teaches you how to write. And from what I've heard legal writing is perhaps the most important and most used tool of a lawyer.

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 pm

jmill wrote: The other big thing, besides advocay, that I think was emphasized the legal writing and how Tech really teaches you how to write. And from what I've heard legal writing is perhaps the most important and most used tool of a lawyer.
+1

DongLei

New

Post by DongLei » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Attended ASD today and was wholly unimpressed, tied with the ridiculous tuition increase (that wasn't even mentioned as a possibility during any presentations) has cemented my decision not to attend Tech.

My roommate is a 2L at Tech and the rosy picture that the student panel described at ASD isn't the whole picture. Per my roommate, outside of the top 10% many students are struggling to find employment. My roommate drove to Austin and Dallas multiple weekends for interviews, but they gave off the impression that they had too many applicants/too little spots for any summer employment. He has nothing paid lined up, just a 6 week unpaid internship in Dallas in the summer. The worst part of ASD was the career service presentation, the obviously rehearsed monologue was almost completely useless, she didn't talk about employment prospects/job search strategies or anything specific about how we will get jobs after graduation.

Advocacy and legal writing may be important, but if it can't get me a job with a salary high enough to pay off the (ever increasing) tuition, I'm not interested.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:05 am

DongLei wrote:Attended ASD today and was wholly unimpressed, tied with the ridiculous tuition increase (that wasn't even mentioned as a possibility during any presentations) has cemented my decision not to attend Tech.

My roommate is a 2L at Tech and the rosy picture that the student panel described at ASD isn't the whole picture. Per my roommate, outside of the top 10% many students are struggling to find employment. My roommate drove to Austin and Dallas multiple weekends for interviews, but they gave off the impression that they had too many applicants/too little spots for any summer employment. He has nothing paid lined up, just a 6 week unpaid internship in Dallas in the summer. The worst part of ASD was the career service presentation, the obviously rehearsed monologue was almost completely useless, she didn't talk about employment prospects/job search strategies or anything specific about how we will get jobs after graduation.

Advocacy and legal writing may be important, but if it can't get me a job with a salary high enough to pay off the (ever increasing) tuition, I'm not interested.

Thanks, sometimes I think it is more beneficial to hear these kinds of views, since every law school paints a unreal picture.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”