New York Law School

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blacklawboss

Re: New York Law School

Postby blacklawboss » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:01 pm

BlackSwan85 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
LilMonsterAnnie wrote: Like selling ice cream to a child.

This is one of those situations where the ice cream falls on the ground right after you pay for it, and the vendor says "tough luck kid."

<3

+1000

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Last edited by jessuf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

btnyegurl

Postby btnyegurl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Jessuf wrote:
btnyegurl wrote:Has everyone that's been accepted received their scholarship information?

I received mine in my acceptance letter.

Is anyone actually going to this school? I applied on a whim, was accepted like 4 days after submitting my app, and now that I got waitlisted at my top schools and got a scholly here, I am somewhat considering going here. I always applied to CUNY and am almost 100% sure I'll get in based on my numbers + softs, but I hear they take forever to decide and I'm not into waiting until mid-summer to know.

I'm considering it but all boils down to money and location, CUNY is far cheaper but is a terribly difficult commute for me ( I live in a difficult part of Brooklyn and don't drive), NYLS is more expensive but is much more accessible

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm considering it but all boils down to money and location, CUNY is far cheaper but is a terribly difficult commute for me ( I live in a difficult part of Brooklyn and don't drive), NYLS is more expensive but is much more accessible

LOL...Are you seriously considering going to the worse law school (NYLS) that charges about 5x's the tuition of the better school (CUNY), just for convenience sake!? If so, your logic is skewed. Why would you be willing to go into that much debt when you have a much better and cheaper option that is just a little harder to get to?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:02 pm

lawfreak wrote:

LOL...Are you seriously considering going to the worse law school (NYLS) that charges about 5x's the tuition of the better school (CUNY), just for convenience sake!? If so, your logic is skewed. Why would you be willing to go into that much debt when you have a much better and cheaper option that is just a little harder to get to?

+1

musicalmissionary

Postby musicalmissionary » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 pm

I spent the whole day there yesterday and got to speak with several professors, students and alumni. Given all of the negativity I have heard about them, I went in with a healthy dose of skepticism. This skepticism increased right off the bat when I saw how pretty and fancy their new main building is. I couldn't help but wonder if they are simply trying to OOO and AHH prospective students to overlook their low rankings and high price tag.

My ultimate conclusion is that, if you are dead set on specializing in IP law like I am, NYLS is an excellent law school. Rankings and negativity aside, NYLS has some top-notch faculty and programs in IP. Their Institute for Information Law and Policy is very active in all aspects of IP and technology law and policy. The professor who founded it just returned from a two-year stint in the White House as Obama's Deputy Chief Technology Officer and she left some hooks in place for NYLS students to work internships with the White House's technology office. Another of their IP faculty is the leading academic on the landmark Google Books class-action settlement which will have huge implications on copyright law and policy moving forward.

NYLS also launched an awesome program called Peer-to-Patent (originally started by a student) which enables the public to assist the USPTO with prior art discovery on patent applications through a wiki style platform. This program has already (two years in) had huge ramifications on patent processing and has been fanned out to Australia and Japan. Several students who worked on the early implementation of this program went directly into general counsel positions in tech companies (I met and spoke with one). Add to all of this cutting edge programs in gaming, entertainment and fashion law and policy and NYLS has as solid an IP program as I've seen anywhere.

With all that said, the basic advice of going to the highest ranked law school you're accepted to still makes the most sense. I even heard it from a NYLS adviser I spoke to yesterday. But if you are as hell bent on IP law as I am, the school's overall ranking can be misleading. I'm still waiting to hear from Brooklyn. But given what I know now, if I get in there, I won't be making a no-brainer decision based solely on overall rank. I will dig deeper and compare faculty and programs.

btnyegurl

Postby btnyegurl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

When its the difference between 3 to 4 hours per direction swallowed up by commute = you have to think about things like this especially when you live in a neighborhood where shootings and theft are far too common but you cannot afford to move let alone buy a vehicle to help ease the travel time.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

hold on. NYLS is not a good option. It has the same tuition as the top ranked schools, has an expensive cost of living ( unless you allready own and have paid off your living arrangements) and most other things in nyc are expensive anyways, and horrible reputation. You can only work 20 hours a week as a 1L- and most schools want less than that- if you can [color=#0000FF]work at all. So you will be earning practically nothing your first yer. IF you have a sure fire job lined up and just need a JD- then maybe it would be fine- but if you dont- i would strongly advise you to re consider and ]re assess your options. The cost of studying for the october or june lsat- and buying a prep course, along with taking a leave of absense from your job so you can devote your entire existance like an lsat monk to study is much less- and would yield a more favorable outcome than going there. Unless you are in the tippidy tip top top top ( 1-5 students - not 1-5%) of the class- you wont be able to transfer. [color=#8000FF]T[/color]Hey also flunk out a lot of the class. There are worse choices to be made- but going here is for the v[color=#8000FF]a[/color]st majority of people is a bad idea. Sure the school sold you a[color=#8000FF]/color]t the asd- thats teh point of those things. YOu got in- now they want to close the deal. YOu can like the building, and li[color=#8000FF]k[/color]e the students, and walk away feeling good about law school- but you dont have to sign the dott[color=#8000FF]e[/color]d line. Before you do- get some hard numbers and facts- from current 3Ls and from last year and the year before's graduating classes. Make sure what you have been told jives with this info ( and dont get it from the school itself- do some searching). If you must go and have only the option of NYLS and CUNY- go to CUNY. if it means you must get a new apt- then do so.[/color]

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:20 am

musicalmissionary wrote:I spent the whole day there yesterday and got to speak with several professors, students and alumni. Given all of the negativity I have heard about them, I went in with a healthy dose of skepticism. This skepticism increased right off the bat when I saw how pretty and fancy their new main building is. I couldn't help but wonder if they are simply trying to OOO and AHH prospective students to overlook their low rankings and high price tag.

My ultimate conclusion is that, if you are dead set on specializing in IP law like I am, NYLS is an excellent law school. Rankings and negativity aside, NYLS has some top-notch faculty and programs in IP. Their Institute for Information Law and Policy is very active in all aspects of IP and technology law and policy. The professor who founded it just returned from a two-year stint in the White House as Obama's Deputy Chief Technology Officer and she left some hooks in place for NYLS students to work internships with the White House's technology office. Another of their IP faculty is the leading academic on the landmark Google Books class-action settlement which will have huge implications on copyright law and policy moving forward.

NYLS also launched an awesome program called Peer-to-Patent (originally started by a student) which enables the public to assist the USPTO with prior art discovery on patent applications through a wiki style platform. This program has already (two years in) had huge ramifications on patent processing and has been fanned out to Australia and Japan. Several students who worked on the early implementation of this program went directly into general counsel positions in tech companies (I met and spoke with one). Add to all of this cutting edge programs in gaming, entertainment and fashion law and policy and NYLS has as solid an IP program as I've seen anywhere.

With all that said, the basic advice of going to the highest ranked law school you're accepted to still makes the most sense. I even heard it from a NYLS adviser I spoke to yesterday. But if you are as hell bent on IP law as I am, the school's overall ranking can be misleading. I'm still waiting to hear from Brooklyn. But given what I know now, if I get in there, I won't be making a no-brainer decision based solely on overall rank. I will dig deeper and compare faculty and programs.

This was really helpful, thanks.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Not that I support attending this school, but did any of the anti-NYLS folks even bother reading the rules of this forum?

Discussion between applicants is fine, but this forum is NOT the place to argue or debate which law schools are worth attending and under what circumstances. The threads here typically involve people who have already decided to apply and are seeking or sharing news on the state of their applications. You and them and everyone else are all free to discuss whether or not attending is a good idea in the appropriate forum, not here.

Starting or perpetuating arguments here about whether a school is worth attending may be deemed trolling and get you banned.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I got admitted with a scholarship on 4/20 I must've been high to spend my $12 on the CRS

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 pm

I got in... NYLS, here I go!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”