New York Law School Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rocon7383

Bronze

Re: New York Law School

Post by rocon7383 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 pm

lawfreak wrote:2 questions:

A) How much of a scholarship should be expected here with a 158/3.95?

B) Is it even worth going to this law school with some scholly money given the job prospects and the negative overall TLS view towards this 3rd tier ripoff?
I think the top 15% requirement to keep a scholarship is pretty ridiculous, and far too risky to go with even a full ride. Regarding you actually getting a scholarship, I bet you get one. I got a full ride with a 166/3.2. I don't know how much they favor LSAT to gpa or vice versa, but we're pretty even

LilMonsterAnnie

Bronze

Post by LilMonsterAnnie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:02 am

rocon7383 wrote:

B) Is it even worth going to this law school with some scholly money given the job prospects and the negative overall TLS view towards this 3rd tier ripoff?
I think the top 15% requirement to keep a scholarship is pretty ridiculous, and far too risky to go with even a full ride. Regarding you actually getting a scholarship, I bet you get one. I got a full ride with a 166/3.2. I don't know how much they favor LSAT to gpa or vice versa, but we're pretty even
I was told by the Dean that if you do not fall within their medians for both LSAT & gpa, they won't waste their time AT ALL. He was actually quite rude to me about it when I asked. I also think they are a bit desparate to climb the rankings, so it seems there is NO leverage there at all. Personally? It doesn't matter how badly I want to go to LS, not sure I would be willing to have $150K in debt from a T3/T4 school.

MP24

New

Post by MP24 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:20 pm

rocon7383 wrote:

I had heard the top merit scholarship they offered was the Trustee Scholarship at $30,000/year. What do they call the full scholarship or does it just say full scholarship?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

MP24 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

I had heard the top merit scholarship they offered was the Trustee Scholarship at $30,000/year. What do they call the full scholarship or does it just say full scholarship?
It's called the Harlan Scholarship. One of the tempting aspects about it is that I would automatically be on Law Review. That aspect of the scholarship was very intriguing.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:41 pm

rocon7383 wrote:One of the tempting aspects about it is that I would automatically be on Law Review. That aspect of the scholarship was very intriguing.
Why would they place people on LR with no law school experience? Seems backwards to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MP24

New

Post by MP24 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
MP24 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

It's called the Harlan Scholarship. One of the tempting aspects about it is that I would automatically be on Law Review. That aspect of the scholarship was very intriguing.
I see. So do you start off the first year in the Harlan Honors program?

Brittain

New

Post by Brittain » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:25 pm

No, you don't. This is why you have to love the internet.

The Harlan Honors Program is invite only and is based on your class ranking with the conclusion of your 1L Spring Semester.

My advice, take what most say on these forums with a grain of salt. There are a lot of full rides and flowing acceptances for relatively small class sizes...

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Nope. My mistake, I just checked again. Its the NYLS scholarship. And if you keep a 15% scholarship you THEN become a Harlan Scholar. After that, you are then automatically in law review

decibel8710

New

Post by decibel8710 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:37 pm

I had a 160/3.61, and got offered a Trustee Scholarship ($30k). I'm pretty excited about the offer, but how does this compare to other schools you guys have heard back from? This is only the second school to get back to me (waitlisted at American in DC) so I'm antsy to see what other schools are responding with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 am

Did any of you guys do the optional interview?

smoneill89

New

Post by smoneill89 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:07 am

ashleyryan wrote:Did any of you guys do the optional interview?
I didn't do the interview and got accepted.

ashleyryan

New

Post by ashleyryan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:11 am

Nice, congrats! :)

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:15 am

ashleyryan wrote:Did any of you guys do the optional interview?
Got accepted with 30k. 3.43/164, was accepted a few weeks ago. To the person that asked, this was my last choice (sorry), so I won't be attending.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 am

I applied here for sh*ts giggles and $12... I've been sent to committee for about 3 weeks and I want to withdraw my application smh. I know about 5 people who went to NYLS and not one with a decent job

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 pm

I was accepted on 2/10/2011 with a letter in the mail today. There was a hand signed acceptance letter. My numbers are 153/3.98 with a few softs.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 pm

To all of the above applying, please read the TLS article on law schools in the NYC legal market. The only ones you should be considering are Columbia, New York University, Cornell University, and Fordham. The rest are going to leave you unemployed and with massive non-dischargeable debts.

Also, if you really think you can hold onto any scholarships you have garnered, then you should retake the LSAT and go elsewhere and enjoy greater odds of employment.

People on TLS are not assholes and prestige whores; we are job whores.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 am

dissonance1848 wrote:To all of the above applying, please read the TLS article on law schools in the NYC legal market. The only ones you should be considering are Columbia, New York University, Cornell University, and Fordham. The rest are going to leave you unemployed and with massive non-dischargeable debts.

Also, if you really think you can hold onto any scholarships you have garnered, then you should retake the LSAT and go elsewhere and enjoy greater odds of employment.

Are you saying that even Cardozo or Brooklyn are lost cases!? I beg to differ because I know personally numerous people from those two schools that have awesome jobs now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 pm

lawfreak wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:To all of the above applying, please read the TLS article on law schools in the NYC legal market. The only ones you should be considering are Columbia, New York University, Cornell University, and Fordham. The rest are going to leave you unemployed and with massive non-dischargeable debts.

Are you saying that even Cardozo or Brooklyn are lost cases!? I beg to differ because I know personally numerous people from those two schools that have awesome jobs now.

A Big Law job is possible out of Cardozo and Brooklyn but you need to be in the Top 10%, it's a very risky investment. Any of the NY schools lower than them are lost causes. Fordham you probably need top 30% for a shot at Big Law which is stilll difficult but doable. For NYU and Columbia you could probably be slightly below the median and still get Big Law and Cornell is you are at or near the median you have a good shot at NY Big Law. As you can see the 200K investment becomes less and less risky the higher up you go (obviously). Not saying Cardozo and Brooklyn make it impossible for a starting six figure salary, but it is a longshot. Never bet on being in the top 10%.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Bottom line NYLS= LOST CAUSE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Bottom line NYLS= LOST CAUSE!
Yeah it is clearly the worst option in NY. (CUNY is better b/c at least it's cheap and there is really no distinction between TTT and TTTT)

Some of you guys on this thread with high GPA's, I would recommend retaking. You're wasting that high GPA.

Brittain

New

Post by Brittain » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 pm

lawfreak wrote:

Wait, please tell me you're not seriously thinking that because a random person on the internet told you something, it is factually correct? It's like everyone boasting they received a full ride...as though we don't understand how University tuition works.

Big Law jobs are difficult to come by in any circumstance T, TT, TTT, TTTT. Students have had similar opinions about Undergrad Universities and most were wrong - It's about networking, working hard, taking internships/externships, and understanding that not everything comes in a week post graduation.

If you're going to law school at a T1, T2, simply for a six-figure salary, I'm going to bet that even if offered a Big Law job shortly after Bar and Application procedures, you're going to fail miserably.

So please, be confident in your OWN decisions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Brittain wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

Wait, please tell me you're not seriously thinking that because a random person on the internet told you something, it is factually correct? It's like everyone boasting they received a full ride...as though we don't understand how University tuition works.

Big Law jobs are difficult to come by in any circumstance T, TT, TTT, TTTT. Students have had similar opinions about Undergrad Universities and most were wrong - It's about networking, working hard, taking internships/externships, and understanding that not everything comes in a week post graduation.

If you're going to law school at a T1, T2, simply for a six-figure salary, I'm going to bet that even if offered a Big Law job shortly after Bar and Application procedures, you're going to fail miserably.

So are you sticking up for NYLS? I'm speaking from experience. I know multiple NYLS grads doing much of nothing regarding their JD these days. You can't go there hoping to be the next judge judy!

Brittain

New

Post by Brittain » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
Brittain wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

So are you sticking up for NYLS? I'm speaking from experience. I know multiple NYLS grads doing much of nothing regarding their JD these days. You can't go there hoping to be the next judge judy!
I'm making a general statement in regards to those that are deluded into thinking that only T14 graduates have a chance at Big Law. Having already seen the amount of garbage spewed on these forums, in regards to full rides, scholarships, admittance, PSs, etc., I take most of what is said on these forums with a grain of salt. It's no different than the actual Law School circle, students boasting and egos exploding...

However, on a similar note, I personally have worked with and know 3 NYLS recent graduates, not to mention the alumni from that school that I have worked with and for, who have all picked up jobs in the six figure range. None of who were anywhere near the top 15%. I suggest you find a better pool of law school graduates and friends.

Your university can only do so much in terms of getting your foot in the door.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Brittain wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

The question is how long after graduating from NYLS did this happen? I can accept debate, but hard to believe coming through the door they were given 6 salary, more like welcome to DA office and legal aid society

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:16 pm

In at NYLS! 2.7 / 151 / 50% scholly if I stay top 1/3

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”