Club 170

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:12 pm

But I will be serious. There were never enough 170+ to fill the seats, because 170 is only the median for up to MVP. Some 170's obviously have low GPAs. In last cycle, where there were enough 170+ to hold the desired medians, splitters were probably not taken. This year there are reasonably less 170's, so they have to take some splitters - but that will drag on the GPA median. So it's best to have 170/median. Value is a little higher this year compare to last. Reasonable guess. But take my words with a grain of salt. I only scored a 170.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:But I will be serious. There were never enough 170+ to fill the seats, because 170 is only the median for up to MVP. Some 170's obviously have low GPAs. In last cycle, where there were enough 170+ to hold the desired medians, splitters were probably not taken. This year there are reasonably less 170's, so they have to take some splitters - but that will drag on the GPA median. So it's best to have 170/median. Value is a little higher this year compare to last. Reasonable guess. But take my words with a grain of salt. I only scored a 170.

:lol:

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
FlanAl wrote:any thoughts from people who are smarter than me about how the low amount of test taker in december should be effecting our cycle? Are there even enough 170+ applicants this year to fill all the seats in the t14?

Seeing that we all scored 170 ITT, no one is smarter than anyone else :o :)

Gosh... I feel like the LSAT is the IQ test for all law school applicants... Sigh...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:38 pm

jrose5 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
FlanAl wrote:any thoughts from people who are smarter than me about how the low amount of test taker in december should be effecting our cycle? Are there even enough 170+ applicants this year to fill all the seats in the t14?

Gosh... I feel like the LSAT is the IQ test for all law school applicants... Sigh...

lol I'd rather admit I was dumber than I didn't prepare as much. Or would I?

super6

Postby super6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:06 am

r6_philly wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

lol I'd rather admit I was dumber than I didn't prepare as much. Or would I?

Yes... and no.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:04 am

kinda still trying to wrap my head around the uva ed rejection. there are way less applicants this year and with a median lsat and a "median" (no gpa) gpa it seems like i'd be a good bet for them to keep up their numbers. i'm just hoping that it was because they over admitted last year but i guess the rest of my cycle will tell me whats what

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Has anybody heard back from NU and UM? If so, how long was your turnaround time...

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:08 pm

khodorko wrote:Has anybody heard back from NU and UM? If so, how long was your turnaround time...

Both, but I applied in September.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 pm

khodorko wrote:Has anybody heard back from NU and UM? If so, how long was your turnaround time...

I applied to Michigan on 11/1 and didn't get accepted until this week. No hold email. It was a reallllly long wait, but I know others who got in after about a month after applying.

RicketyCricket

Postby RicketyCricket » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm

I applied 11/15 to UM and got dinged on Monday.

super6

Postby super6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Rejected from both in the past few days. I sent all my apps in on 12/7.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 pm

super6 wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I'm getting impatient with both of those. I applied the first week of December too and the status checkers seem completely pointless, they both have remained in "complete" status for the last two months. Sorry about your dings from those two, super6.

super6

Postby super6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:46 pm

khodorko wrote:
super6 wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I'm getting impatient with both of those. I applied the first week of December too and the status checkers seem completely pointless, they both have remained in "complete" status for the last two months. Sorry about your dings from those two, super6.

Michigan wasn't a surprise, NU kind of was but I looked at their LSN and I think they let in too many people on ED because there was, I think, a 170/3.48 that got in on ED and I got rejected with 170/3.6 (Another 170/3.6 got WL'd).
By the way, Michigan decision arrived via snail mail with nothing on the status checker to suggest I should have been expecting mail (it just said "complete"). Could be different for admits, however, and your GPA certainly gives you better odds of that.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:51 pm

super6 wrote:
khodorko wrote:
super6 wrote:

Michigan wasn't a surprise, NU kind of was but I looked at their LSN and I think they let in too many people on ED because there was, I think, a 170/3.48 that got in on ED and I got rejected with 170/3.6 (Another 170/3.6 got WL'd).
By the way, Michigan decision arrived via snail mail with nothing on the status checker to suggest I should have been expecting mail (it just said "complete"). Could be different for admits, however, and your GPA certainly gives you better odds of that.

Thanks, I'm remaining positive but it's frustrating to see people who submitted later than I did hearing back. I'm really loving the thought of Penn right now, but I just want to know about all of the others before I finalize any decision in my mind.

Where are you leaning toward?

super6

Postby super6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 pm

khodorko wrote:
super6 wrote:
khodorko wrote:

Thanks, I'm remaining positive but it's frustrating to see people who submitted later than I did hearing back. I'm really loving the thought of Penn right now, but I just want to know about all of the others before I finalize any decision in my mind.

Where are you leaning toward?

Probably Duke, especially if I get into the dual-degree program, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I was WL'd at UVA so that probably means the same for Duke but I could honestly say they were my top choice in a Why Duke/LOCI if that happens.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:47 pm

splitters gotta get them apps in early!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Hey y'all.

I return from the front lines with many scars and bad news.

Waitlisted at Chicago today.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:30 pm

pereira6 wrote:Hey y'all.

As long as it's not ding, live to fight another day. now join the very quiet and short Chicago WL thread. Maybe it's good since it's so quiet there.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:

As long as it's not ding, live to fight another day. now join the very quiet and short Chicago WL thread. Maybe it's good since it's so quiet there.

I got WLed today too but I'm not really interested in U of Chicago anymore. I heard it's super stuffy and way too competitive... I sent my withdraw email a few minutes ago

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 pm

khodorko wrote:
I got WLed today too but I'm not really interested in U of Chicago anymore. I heard it's super stuffy and way too competitive... I sent my withdraw email a few minutes ago

I'm still trying for the perfect score on acceptances as long as I don't get dinged anywhere. Maybe they'll pull me in. Like I said in the Chicago WL thread, I couldn't give a shit about the school, but I definitely want to get in as a gauge for other schools.

Good luck on everything else :) I'm really feeling the camaraderie in this thread. Well done, Philly! Haha

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:18 pm

khodorko wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

That's what I said about CLS but I am still holding on for some strange reason. Come on HYS so I can withdraw from these lousy WLs.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 pm

pereira6 wrote:Good luck on everything else :) I'm really feeling the camaraderie in this thread. Well done, Philly! Haha

It's funny this became the only score thread and it turned out to be great! Started with rough but it's been a great place to hang out. I hope future applicants keep it up.

(I will make sure that happens next cycle :lol: )

freskie

Postby freskie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:20 pm

No WL love here. Straight ding...not even an email to console me, just status checker change. Bad form, Chicago.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 pm

freskie wrote:No WL love here. Straight ding...not even an email to console me, just status checker change. Bad form, Chicago.

did you check spam?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
It's funny this became the only score thread and it turned out to be great!

I thought I saw a Club 130 thread around here? :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”