Club 170

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Dayan114
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 am

Re: Club 170

Postby Dayan114 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:08 pm

swl56 wrote:aw i'm the only deferred in club 170!? haha on the bright side, no one has posted any rejections so win for us! :D


I'll be the first--dinged from Harvard (their loss, I'd like to think...but realistically i think they'll be fine).

In at: Georgetown, Boalt, NYU! (And GW w/ 105k...but I shouldn't even consider taking it, right?)

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby beachbum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Wow, based on LSN, Minnesota has not been kind to Club 170. Ah well, guess they saved us all the trouble of frostbite/hypothermia/getting eaten by polar bears.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 pm

beachbum wrote:Wow, based on LSN, Minnesota has not been kind to Club 170. Ah well, guess they saved us all the trouble of frostbite/hypothermia/getting eaten by polar bears.
Last edited by Law Sauce on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby rli66 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:37 pm

It pains to submit this WL form to Vandy.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Club 170

Postby super6 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 pm

Wake Forest emailed me a 24k/year scholarship offer but Northwestern informed me via email that I was rejected. Kind of bittersweet.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:13 pm

hey r6, did uva tell you about your scholarship during the call, and did you ask about it?

During my call, they didnt say any thing and I didnt ask, it was less than a minute long conversation. I am wondering if I should assume that I will not receive any scholarship money from them.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Law Sauce wrote:hey r6, did uva tell you about your scholarship during the call, and did you ask about it?

During my call, they didnt say any thing and I didnt ask, it was less than a minute long conversation. I am wondering if I should assume that I will not receive any scholarship money from them.


Yes they told me without me asking. I also got the packet last night with the scholarship letter. If you log into your status checker, it will say scholarship letter if you are sent one.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 am

ok thanks, my checker says that it sent a "decision letter"

your said "scholarship letter"?

hmm. bummer

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 am

Law Sauce wrote:ok thanks, my checker says that it sent a "decision letter"

your said "scholarship letter"?

hmm. bummer


Ya I have both letters listed on the same date (came in the same envelop folded together. :(

Don't worry there will be time to negotiate later. Hopefully you will get some leverage somewhere else.

UVa stock has gone way up ... I looked up apartment and houses around there, wow they are cheap. If I buy I can probably get residency. If I can save $10k off the tuition it's worth almost the down payment. I think UVa may be the cheapest school on my list in terms of COL.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:ok thanks, my checker says that it sent a "decision letter"

your said "scholarship letter"?

hmm. bummer


Ya I have both letters listed on the same date (came in the same envelop folded together. :(

Don't worry there will be time to negotiate later. Hopefully you will get some leverage somewhere else.

UVa stock has gone way up ... I looked up apartment and houses around there, wow they are cheap. If I buy I can probably get residency. If I can save $10k off the tuition it's worth almost the down payment. I think UVa may be the cheapest school on my list in terms of COL.


...
Last edited by Law Sauce on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
Yea, that is true. but if a big offer comes from V anderbilt, which I hope it does, its going to be hard to justify paying sticker at UVA, I mean its still 67,000/year CoA. Even though Id really really like to be at UVA. (but V anderbilt is pretty sweet too.)

plus I already have UG debt, so that is an issue. But you are right, I really hope I can get something from uva at some point later on.


Maybe if you get Vandy money, try to leverage that into a smaller gift from UVa. Also make sure you apply to the need based grants right away, you never know what you will get from different schools. I don't know how much more is UVa is more than Vandy, but judging from placement number it should be a lot if you want a national degree. Good luck!

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
Yea, that is true. but if a big offer comes from V anderbilt, which I hope it does, its going to be hard to justify paying sticker at UVA, I mean its still 67,000/year CoA. Even though Id really really like to be at UVA. (but V anderbilt is pretty sweet too.)

plus I already have UG debt, so that is an issue. But you are right, I really hope I can get something from uva at some point later on.


Maybe if you get Vandy money, try to leverage that into a smaller gift from UVa. Also make sure you apply to the need based grants right away, you never know what you will get from different schools. I don't know how much more is UVa is more than Vandy, but judging from placement number it should be a lot if you want a national degree. Good luck!


thanks, you too

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Club 170

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:27 pm

170 in Columbia RD!!! Soooo glad I didn't retake, lol!


CCN sweep. =D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:31 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:170 in Columbia RD!!! Soooo glad I didn't retake, lol!


CCN sweep. =D


Awesome!!!

Jealous really :)

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:170 in Columbia RD!!! Soooo glad I didn't retake, lol!


CCN sweep. =D


You are absolutely crushing your cycle, esp. for a UG applicant. Club 170 represent.

@Law Sauce, I also will seriously consider Vandy if I get a sizable offer. The school way outperforms its ranking.

@Philly, are you familiar with the amounts schools give out for need-based? I like to think the monetary numbers in my entire family might swing something my way. I've always been of the thought that law schools give out pennies in need-based.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm

pereira6 wrote:
@Philly, are you familiar with the amounts schools give out for need-based? I like to think the monetary numbers in my entire family might swing something my way. I've always been of the thought that law schools give out pennies in need-based.


I don't know how much, and I haven't been able to gather too much info on here because not so many are dirt poor, and not so many dirt poor ones go to T14. I am filing my papers tonight hopefully so we will see soon. If you are poor, you should be able to get something because I think by comparison if you are solidly below middle class you are probably poorer than most of your peers.

ETA: I am not dirty poor, but my family will be as soon as I stop working and go to school.

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby rli66 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Vanderbilt has broken my heart. I will never recover.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Club 170

Postby super6 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 pm

rli66 wrote:Vanderbilt has broken my heart. I will never recover.

You should just call them up and tell them that they're your top choice and that you're in at UVA with 75k. Based on what I've read you can negotiate money at many schools, that should at least get you off the waiting list.

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby rli66 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:35 am

Waitlisted at Northwestern today :(

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:17 am

INNNNN at Columbia!!!! C and N!!!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 am

cardinals1989 wrote:INNNNN at Columbia!!!! C and N!!!


I am jealouS 8)

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:INNNNN at Columbia!!!! C and N!!!


I am jealouS 8)


I see what you did there.

All holy hell is breaking loose if I get S....

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby beachbum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 am

cardinals1989 wrote:INNNNN at Columbia!!!! C and N!!!


Congrats man, way to represent the STL.

Also, 170 (and semi-splitter) love from Duke today, ending my cycle. Good luck to everyone else, I think I'm gonna put my feet up and have a beer.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 am

beachbum wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:INNNNN at Columbia!!!! C and N!!!


Congrats man, way to represent the STL.

Also, 170 (and semi-splitter) love from Duke today, ending my cycle. Good luck to everyone else, I think I'm gonna put my feet up and have a beer.


You EDed? Awesome, congrats!!!

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 am

beachbum wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:INNNNN at Columbia!!!! C and N!!!


Congrats man, way to represent the STL.

Also, 170 (and semi-splitter) love from Duke today, ending my cycle. Good luck to everyone else, I think I'm gonna put my feet up and have a beer.


LOL, if only I were from STL...I am just a Cardinals fan :D . But thanks!!

Also, congrats to you too!!!!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”