Club 170

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Excellence = a Habit

Re: Club 170

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm

leopardRAWR wrote:Add UVA RD OOS and Chicago to the list of schools 170s have been accepted to :D

Awesome, congrats!

rli66

Postby rli66 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Another victory for Club 170 (albeit minor) - in at UVA RD OOS non-URM + 75k!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:18 pm

rli66 wrote:Another victory for Club 170 (albeit minor) - in at UVA RD OOS non-URM + 75k!

Whoa that's not minor at all! You must have a pretty impressive app to steal a near-1/2 scholly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm

pereira6 wrote:
rli66 wrote:Another victory for Club 170 (albeit minor) - in at UVA RD OOS non-URM + 75k!

Whoa that's not minor at all! You must have a pretty impressive app to steal a near-1/2 scholly.

Yes! Some of us are twisting everyone's arm trying to just get in, let alone an half scholly.

rli66

Postby rli66 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:11 pm

pereira6 wrote:

I honestly didn't think my app or my candidacy was all that impressive.. I am very fortunate and grateful to have this opportunity. It's going to be very tough to turn it down.

Thanks everyone, it has been a wonderful day.

super6

Postby super6 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:12 am

Probably not big news for the club 170 thread but last week I got in at Illinois with up to $30k/year. I also got in at W&M yesterday via status check. Also, Duke finally started reviewing my JD/LLM summer app.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

super6 wrote:Probably not big news for the club 170 thread but last week I got in at Illinois with up to $30k/year. I also got in at W&M yesterday via status check. Also, Duke finally started reviewing my JD/LLM summer app.

Congrats on the $$$. I actually applied to W&M last cycle and they WLed me, so you are doing better than me. Best of luck at Duke!

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:30 am

3.8X in so far at Penn, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown.

Also held @ Harvard.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:3.8X in so far at Penn, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown.

Also held @ Harvard.

Nive job on the Harvard hold!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Because we mentioned their free itunes...

I got in at Alabama with an invite for their full scholly. If I have time I'll take a free weekend vacation to 'bama. Vacation + itunes = win...I feel like a jerk though haha

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm

pereira6 wrote:Because we mentioned their free itunes...

I got in at Alabama with an invite for their full scholly. If I have time I'll take a free weekend vacation to 'bama. Vacation + itunes = win...I feel like a jerk though haha

Is it too late to apply? I want a full ride to add to my options.

super6

Postby super6 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:37 pm

Do they have a scholarship bigger than 24k/year? That's what i got which falls short of the 28k/year OOS tuition. I'm probably going to go check out the campus, too, I'm not really sure how to get there, though. The nearest airport is an hour away so it feels like the middle of nowhere as I live about 15 minutes from a huge airport.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:20 am

super6 wrote:

Do they have a scholarship bigger than 24k/year? That's what i got which falls short of the 28k/year OOS tuition. I'm probably going to go check out the campus, too, I'm not really sure how to get there, though. The nearest airport is an hour away so it feels like the middle of nowhere as I live about 15 minutes from a huge airport.

The merit scholarships that they automatically give out caps out at 24k I think. However, the lady on the phone who called me to tell me of the decision said I am eligible for the full scholarship + stipend award, as long as I make a (fully reimbursed) trip down to Alabama to interview for it. It wasn't guaranteed, but she hinted that if I visit and I have a decent interview (read: don't suck at talking to people), then I'd be a recipient of the generous scholarship.

r6_philly wrote:
Is it too late to apply? I want a full ride to add to my options.

It's never to late to apply for free itunes! But in all seriousness you know how the rolling admissions business goes, and while its certainly not too late to apply, the availability of full scholarship invitations is probably much lower than it was a month ago. If there was anyone to get one, though, itd be you philly!

Again though, it was an invitation to visit and interview for the full scholarship; it was not a full scholarship handed to me. I received automatic full rides to Indiana and Illinois, two schools I really have been impressed with, relative to their ranking period. If you were seeking a full ride, I'd throw apps their way because they seem to be very generous for good applicants (Indiana in particular was throwing scholarships left and right to kids with 166+ LSATs regardless of GPA). Again, with rolling admissions you might have a tougher time than I did, but I think you have more than a good shot.

If I hadn't received great deals from UI and IU, I would be heavily considering Alabama. However, its still a free ride opportunity, and after some research if it looks great I plan on visiting.

freskie

Postby freskie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:13 am

Hey all, I don't post here too often but I'm happy to be a member of this club. I seriously considered retaking, but then chickened out for fear of scoring worse. Cycle has been all good news so far, but still waiting on quite a few and hoping to crack the T10...

super6

Postby super6 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Someone deleted all the content on the spreadsheet, fortunately gDocs saves revisions so I restored it.
Also, got WL from Vanderbilt today, I'm genuinely surprised at this, there must have been something in my app that they didn't like because a 170/3.48 got accepted and I'm 170/3.6. Kind of sucks, hopefully whatever they didn't like about my app isn't something better schools take issue with.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:02 pm

super6 wrote:Someone deleted all the content on the spreadsheet, fortunately gDocs saves revisions so I restored it.
Also, got WL from Vanderbilt today, I'm genuinely surprised at this, there must have been something in my app that they didn't like because a 170/3.48 got accepted and I'm 170/3.6. Kind of sucks, hopefully whatever they didn't like about my app isn't something better schools take issue with.

Sorry to hear that. Did you interview?

super6

Postby super6 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 pm

beachbum wrote:
super6 wrote:Someone deleted all the content on the spreadsheet, fortunately gDocs saves revisions so I restored it.

I interviewed locally with an alumni. I thought the interview went really well but it was mostly just chilling out and talking about law school so it's not like you can mess it up but he seemed impressed by my resume. I got in 21-ranked Illinois with a full scholarship (and I got my USB stick today!) but then I get WL'd at 17th ranked Vanderbilt, it makes no sense at all.
http://vanderbilt.lawschoolnumbers.com/ ... Cycle=1011
I'm the sole yellow triangle in that sea of green in the upper-right which means it had to have been something other than my numbers that they disliked and now I'm kind of nervous. I also had really high hopes because someone else in a similar situation on to me on TLS (entering law school at age 19) said that the dean during their cycle really respected people who graduated young, Vanderbilt even sent me an unsolicited merit fee waiver.

Hopefully next week will bring better news.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 pm

super6 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

I interviewed locally with an alumni. I thought the interview went really well but it was mostly just chilling out and talking about law school so it's not like you can mess it up but he seemed impressed by my resume. I got in 21-ranked Illinois with a full scholarship (and I got my USB stick today!) but then I get WL'd at 17th ranked Vanderbilt, it makes no sense at all.
I'm the sole yellow triangle in that sea of green in the upper-right which means it had to have been something other than my numbers that they disliked and now I'm kind of nervous. I also had really high hopes because someone else in a similar situation on to me on TLS (entering law school at age 19) said that the dean during their cycle really respected people who graduated young, Vanderbilt even sent me an unsolicited merit fee waiver.

And I thought me entering at age 20 would be unusual...good luck on the rest, you'll be aight!

And I want my U of I presents nowww :D

Edit: Looked at LSN, it may have been the 162 that set them off. I'm assuming you're an Illinois resident?

super6

Postby super6 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:41 pm

pereira6 wrote:
super6 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

And I thought me entering at age 20 would be unusual...good luck on the rest, you'll be aight!

Edit: Looked at LSN, it may have been the 162 that set them off. I'm assuming you're an Illinois resident?

Florida. I think the early LSAT could be off-putting but who gets from the 86th percentile to the 97th percentile by luck? I wrote an addendum about it, too. That said, it's a more comfortable explanation than worrying that something was blatantly wrong with my personal statement or LORs.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:3.8X in so far at Penn, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown.

Also held @ Harvard.

Nive job on the Harvard hold!

Thanks! Also got into Michigan yesterday! Woo!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:38 am

super6 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Florida. I think the early LSAT could be off-putting but who gets from the 86th percentile to the 97th percentile by luck? I wrote an addendum about it, too. That said, it's a more comfortable explanation than worrying that something was blatantly wrong with my personal statement or LORs.

If Florida resident, how come you list the 90k as a full ride? Isn't that in-state? Just curious :)

super6

Postby super6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 am

pereira6 wrote:
super6 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

If Florida resident, how come you list the 90k as a full ride? Isn't that in-state? Just curious :)

Well 2nd and 3rd years I would be a state resident, would I not? This means I'd have a 3-year tuition cost of $1718, or 2.36% of sticker cost. I'd call 97.64% off pretty damn close to free.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:37 am

super6 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Well 2nd and 3rd years I would be a state resident, would I not? This means I'd have a 3-year tuition cost of $1718, or 2.36% of sticker cost. I'd call 97.64% off pretty damn close to free.

I'm not so sure it would be so easy to get in-state tuition...quoted from the TLS profile of Illinois:

'A second year student gives us this website that describes how one can gain residency in Illinois. Overall, says Pless, “residency is hard to change. You must be in Illinois for non-educational purposes, which is tough to prove once you are here for school.”

A few things can get you that cheaper in-state tuition. If one of your parents lives in Illinois, you are automatically considered a resident. One expensive way to gain residency is by purchasing property in Illinois, while another way, more risqué, is to find an Illinois resident, drop down on one knee, and get that person to marry you. Since you can never plan on love, gaining residency is a crapshoot for many students, and a 2L reports that “it is possible after a year here, but not easy.”'

The profiles can be a little outdated so they may have relaxed a little bit, but I doubt it. 90k is still a sweet deal for a pretty legit school though!

super6

Postby super6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:47 am

pereira6 wrote:
super6 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

I'm not so sure it would be so easy to get in-state tuition...quoted from the TLS profile of Illinois:

'A second year student gives us this website that describes how one can gain residency in Illinois. Overall, says Pless, “residency is hard to change. You must be in Illinois for non-educational purposes, which is tough to prove once you are here for school.”

A few things can get you that cheaper in-state tuition. If one of your parents lives in Illinois, you are automatically considered a resident. One expensive way to gain residency is by purchasing property in Illinois, while another way, more risqué, is to find an Illinois resident, drop down on one knee, and get that person to marry you. Since you can never plan on love, gaining residency is a crapshoot for many students, and a 2L reports that “it is possible after a year here, but not easy.”'

The profiles can be a little outdated so they may have relaxed a little bit, but I doubt it. 90k is still a sweet deal for a pretty legit school though!

Thanks, Buzz Killington. That means $5,154 of tuition, or 5.42% of sticker. Who wants to go halvsies on a plot of wilderness?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:09 am

super6 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Thanks, Buzz Killington. That means $5,154 of tuition, or 5.42% of sticker. Who wants to go halvsies on a plot of wilderness?

Aw I don't wanna be Buzz Killington my bad! Just makin sure we know what's goin on haha I ain't tellin stories about bridges!

Where are you getting the $5,154 figure from though? OOS is 40k a year right? I'm confused. I am interested in a plot of wilderness just for the hell of it though.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”