Club 170

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WhatSarahSaid

Re: Club 170

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:20 pm

I am just saying LSN and TLS are viewed as being entirely representative of law school applicants and I truly do not believe this is correct. I believe that much of our competition does not post here and probally the most competitive applicants (eg the 178+ 3.9+ former VP of Operations for Microsoft would neither have the time nor the inclination to search for reassurance online) and perhaps current law students and 0Ls are not the sole canonical source for LS knowledge.

Who says that LSN/TLS are entirely representative of law school applicants? Anyone who knows how numbers work understands that we're dealing with a small sample size. What it is, though (besides being a pretty solid sample), is the best thing we have.

I'm not sure why your "VP of Operations for Microsoft" wouldn't go online and try to find the best information available. Old-fashioned, I guess.

No one thinks that TLS is the "sole canonical source" for LS knowledge.

don't stress about that single question you got wrong. In the end the difference between 170 and 171 is undeniable but it is far from devastating.

Who here was stressing? What are you replying to? How many horses are starving because of all these strawmans you keep building?

super6

Postby super6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Woah guys, let's calm down and return to our self-congratulatory circle-jerk about getting free itunes codes and airfare

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 pm

beachbum wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Am I the only one who read this post as "3 + 4 = chair"?

haha, I'm right there with you.

I am not sure why my point is failing to get across. I was responding to earlier posts that talked about constantly reliving the test and each answer they got wrong or changed from credited response to wrong response. My point is that there is only a minimal difference between a 170 and 171 or 172 as is viewable on LSN and LSP, and I think the fact that the membership to those sites are not representative of the "Law School Applicant Pool" should be a further source of comfort.

Conclusion: I understand that watching us sub170's get rejected while all the 174+'s get accepted is excruciating; however, in the long run there almost no difference between 170 and 171, it's only at 173 or 174 where you become auto-admit or a quick decision at the schools we all dream about.

As for me looking for solace for my own cycle...I wrote a long response to this, but I decided to delete it since it rambled and was self-serving. Suffice it to say, no I am not looking for reassurance for my t6 prospects.

Finally, most of these postings can be explained by the fact that I live in a bankrupt, snow-covered state and I have left my house once in the last 48 hours for a six-hour, three-mile trip were I had to help dig-out jerry-rigged "plows" and cop cars due to the inability of my state to budget for inclement weather. Posting, even nonsensical babble, helps keep me from going completely insane with cabin fever and teaching my dog to do Logic Games (Something you do not want to happen since she is an immigrant black lab [URM] who got straight "Bone +'s" from her prestigious obedience school and very decent softs.)

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:52 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
Who says that LSN/TLS are entirely representative of law school applicants?

thechee wrote:I was particularly surprised by P and B, since LSN didn't bode that well for my numbers.

WhatSarahSaid wrote:No one thinks that TLS is the "sole canonical source" for LS knowledge.

Ragged wrote:I was super stoked about getting a 170 before I found TLS.

bigwillie wrote:170, 3.5X here
I was ridiculously excited when I first got my score... then I found TLS.

WhatSarahSaid wrote:Who here was stressing? What are you replying to? How many horses are starving because of all these strawmans you keep building?

r6_philly wrote:
lmi wrote:awesome. i feel the pain of missing out on maybe just two extra points all the time. it makes me constantly question whether i should have retaken...but yeah, this is a stressful club to be a member of

Yes you feel the pain, go through test day 1000 times in your mind and in your dreams, check LSAC at least twice a week for future test dates, but somehow manage to not click the "checkout" button.

Nice pun though. I am stealing that line for my next debate

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Retake.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:17 pm

SemperLegal wrote:

Finally, most of these postings can be explained by the fact that I live in a bankrupt, snow-covered state and I have left my house once in the last 48 hours for a six-hour, three-mile trip were I had to help dig-out jerry-rigged "plows" and cop cars due to the inability of my state to budget for inclement weather. Posting, even nonsensical babble, helps keep me from going completely insane with cabin fever and teaching my dog to do Logic Games (Something you do not want to happen since she is an immigrant black lab [URM] who got straight "Bone +'s" from her prestigious obedience school and very decent softs.)

Give the guy a break...not like he was attacking anyone haha

super6 wrote:Woah guys, let's calm down and return to our self-congratulatory circle-jerk about getting free itunes codes and airfare

Agreed! On this note, I have questions...do we know what schools offer payment for visitations? Just travel or travel + lodging? How do we go about acquiring it? Do they only offer it to their top applicants?

super6

Postby super6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 am

pereira6 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

Give the guy a break...not like he was attacking anyone haha

super6 wrote:Woah guys, let's calm down and return to our self-congratulatory circle-jerk about getting free itunes codes and airfare

Agreed! On this note, I have questions...do we know what schools offer payment for visitations? Just travel or travel + lodging? How do we go about acquiring it? Do they only offer it to their top applicants?

I think this info usually comes in the acceptance package, or you can call and ask. I applied late, however, and have only been accepted at Wake Forest and haven't even gotten the actual letter yet, just the email, so I'm not the right person to ask, I just thought I'd answer anyway to help this segue out.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 am

pereira6 wrote:Agreed! On this note, I have questions...do we know what schools offer payment for visitations? Just travel or travel + lodging? How do we go about acquiring it? Do they only offer it to their top applicants?

Penn and Berkeley both do. We will find out if Texas does in a few days.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Sweet deal, looking forward to hearing the answers. Absolutely nothing wrong with some free weekend vacations...those free vacations could determine where I go to school next year as well haha

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 pm

pereira6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Sweet deal, looking forward to hearing the answers. Absolutely nothing wrong with some free weekend vacations...those free vacations could determine where I go to school next year as well haha

Texas happened to fall on the same week as Penn ... I think Thur/Fri for Texas and Fri/Sat for Penn.

Berkeley $300
Penn $100 (NE) $200 elsewhere

I like free trips, but they all bunched together and I have to take time off work so maybe it's not that awesome.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:39 pm

pereira6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Also WUSTL, at least to some - I don't think all. And I think it's $200 toward whatever - travel or lodging - but you have to be traveling there from at least 100 miles away.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:03 pm

A current student at Indiana called me (just to inform me about the school, but amazingly, he just happened to call me not more than 30 seconds after I clicked submit app to Indiana...really freaky stuff, not kidding haha) and he said they supply payment for expenses for their top applicants. No specific figures or anything, but there's another school I know of at least.

Anyone else hear of anything? From school-specific threads? I find this very intriguing, almost like D1 sports teams paying students for free trips to recruit them etc. haha...I'm currently on dial-up internet (home is a scary place, folks), or else I'd do the research myself :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Here is a thread I saved from last year.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98776

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:Here is a thread I saved from last year.

Time and time again, philly comes through with a clutch move.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:23 pm

pereira6 wrote:A current student at Indiana called me (just to inform me about the school, but amazingly, he just happened to call me not more than 30 seconds after I clicked submit app to Indiana...really freaky stuff, not kidding haha) and he said they supply payment for expenses for their top applicants. No specific figures or anything, but there's another school I know of at least.

Anyone else hear of anything? From school-specific threads? I find this very intriguing, almost like D1 sports teams paying students for free trips to recruit them etc. haha...I'm currently on dial-up internet (home is a scary place, folks), or else I'd do the research myself :)

Woah, dial-up internet! I don't know why but the fact that this still exists excites me. I had forgotten all about that familiar dial-up tone from my pre-teenhood.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:26 pm

pereira6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Here is a thread I saved from last year.

Time and time again, philly comes through with a clutch move.

What can I say, I am a whore for usefulness! :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Woah, dial-up internet! I don't know why but the fact that this still exists excites me. I had forgotten all about that familiar dial-up tone from my pre-teenhood.

I sold a 14.4k modem for over $100...

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Woah, dial-up internet! I don't know why but the fact that this still exists excites me. I had forgotten all about that familiar dial-up tone from my pre-teenhood.

I have no context for this information! (I am not "into computers" :mrgreen:)

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Standard dial-up modems are 56k(kilobytes/second), although you never actually hit that speed. A 14.4k modem would have been top of the line in like...1995?? Maybe even earlier.

Edit: To give you some perspective, the first picture on here (Conan) is 38k.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:05 pm

DreamShake wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Standard dial-up modems are 56k(kilobytes/second), although you never actually hit that speed. A 14.4k modem would have been top of the line in like...1995?? Maybe even earlier.

Edit: To give you some perspective, the first picture on here (Conan) is 38k.

Actually sir you are quite a bit off. 56k is 56 kilobits per second. 8 bits make up a byte, so 56k modem only transmits 7k bytes per second. 14.4k is the standard yes around 93-95 I think, then came the 28.8k, then the 56k.

super6

Postby super6 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm happy to report that I am too young to have ever used a 28.8k or 14k modem. We had a 56k modem when I was in 1st grade, I think. Good old CompuServe.

Also, is whoever posted that imgur link a redditor, per chance?

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:Actually sir you are quite a bit off. 56k is 56 kilobits per second. 8 bits make up a byte, so 56k modem only transmits 7k bytes per second. 14.4k is the standard yes around 93-95 I think, then came the 28.8k, then the 56k.

Eh, close enough for the uninitiated. The relative difference between 56k and 14k was the only important point. It's been six years since I learned all that junk :P Thank you for the correction, though.

Ha, now I feel like I should've used different handles for TLS and reddit...oh well...now my liberal views can be easily confirmed by any suspicious and halfway capable e-investigator :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:17 pm

DreamShake wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Actually sir you are quite a bit off. 56k is 56 kilobits per second. 8 bits make up a byte, so 56k modem only transmits 7k bytes per second. 14.4k is the standard yes around 93-95 I think, then came the 28.8k, then the 56k.

Eh, close enough for the uninitiated. The relative difference between 56k and 14k was the only important point. It's been six years since I learned all that junk :P Thank you for the correction, though.

Ha, now I feel like I should've used different handles for TLS and reddit...oh well...now my liberal views can be easily confirmed by any suspicious and halfway capable e-investigator :lol:

I don't know about "close enough" because the different in download time is 1 minute to every 8 minutes... I do remember people complaining that 56k modems were downloading so slowly because they thought it was 56k bytes instead of bits. But I guess at this point it doesn't really matter :)

super6

Postby super6 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:29 pm

DreamShake wrote:

imgur was a dead giveaway, the only thing for obvious than that would be posting a law school rage comic.

Lou9

Postby Lou9 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:56 am

Hypothetical situation. Let's say years ago you attended and graduate from cc with a less than great gpa. Then you eventually decide to return to school and you maintain a 4.0. So combined, your gpa is a 3.6. Then during the fall semester, like a moron, you get a B, lowering your undergrad gpa to a 3.9x, but still increasing your cumulative gpa to a 3.62, would you go ahead and update your transcript?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”