Club 170

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:30 pm

moneko wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rli66 wrote:Yeah I recognize a few names. My LSN and TLS usernames are different for some reason. dc496 on LSN.

Club 170 needs to meet together at an ASW or open house.. preferably at one where they pay our bills to visit.


I am all for this. I will put my TLS screen name on my name tag.


lol or just bring your kid with you to all the ASWs. cutest avatar evarr :)

i just discovered this club, where have you been all this time i've been waiting for letters...


Sitting here, waiting for our turn.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Club 170

Postby super6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:38 am

I intend on posting a reply in here or perhaps in the some other section for each ASW I go to. Vanderbilt seems like it would be a good option for us all, though. I think most of us applied and will get in, I haven't heard back yet but I assume they cover transit/lodging for ASW.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:51 am

super6 wrote:I intend on posting a reply in here or perhaps in the some other section for each ASW I go to. Vanderbilt seems like it would be a good option for us all, though. I think most of us applied and will get in, I haven't heard back yet but I assume they cover transit/lodging for ASW.


I did not apply to vandy. You must have fun for me :D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:53 am

moneko wrote:
lol or just bring your kid with you to all the ASWs. cutest avatar evarr :)

i just discovered this club, where have you been all this time i've been waiting for letters...


Thanks! I don't think he's coming. His bed time is 7PM and he will interrupt everything :lol:

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby rli66 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:36 am

I'm down for Vandy or Duke or UVA or somewhere in the South preferably.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:00 am

rli66 wrote:I'm down for Vandy or Duke or UVA or somewhere in the South preferably.


I'd love to go to Duke or UVA but I don't think I am getting in.

moneko
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Club 170

Postby moneko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:17 am

.
Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 am

moneko wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rli66 wrote:I'm down for Vandy or Duke or UVA or somewhere in the South preferably.


I'd love to go to Duke or UVA but I don't think I am getting in.


tell me about it -.- duke PT-ed me then rejected me right off the bat. in the entire history of lsn i am the first person to be rejected w my numbers. pretty groundbreaking

kinda feelin the NYC idea just cause i've been west coast all my life. anyone from the big city got any feedback? is it a good place to go to school?


It was fun for a minute when I was in my early 20's. You couldn't pay me enough to go back there long term now. School may be ok, but I might consider commuting from Philly if I go to C/N.

You may like it though, it's a change of scenery and there really isn't anything like it on this half of the earth.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Club 170

Postby super6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rli66 wrote:I'm down for Vandy or Duke or UVA or somewhere in the South preferably.


I'd love to go to Duke or UVA but I don't think I am getting in.

This will be easier to figure out once we get acceptances. I have very similar numbers to rli66 so I'm sure I'll see him a couple times but within club 170 we have a range of GPAs so it could be hard for us all to go to same place.
That is unless you apply to Alabama. You get $20 on itunes for applying, too, though you might need to use the fee waiver to get that.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:15 pm

super6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rli66 wrote:I'm down for Vandy or Duke or UVA or somewhere in the South preferably.


I'd love to go to Duke or UVA but I don't think I am getting in.

This will be easier to figure out once we get acceptances. I have very similar numbers to rli66 so I'm sure I'll see him a couple times but within club 170 we have a range of GPAs so it could be hard for us all to go to same place.
That is unless you apply to Alabama. You get $20 on itunes for applying, too, though you might need to use the fee waiver to get that.


I do have the waiver, and I was thinking about applying. Is the $20 offer still good? Do they pay for visit?

I feel like I will get WL at Duke and UVa. They saw right through my ploy of having them as safeties... I didn't apply to Georgetown.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Club 170

Postby super6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
super6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rli66 wrote:I'm down for Vandy or Duke or UVA or somewhere in the South preferably.


I'd love to go to Duke or UVA but I don't think I am getting in.

This will be easier to figure out once we get acceptances. I have very similar numbers to rli66 so I'm sure I'll see him a couple times but within club 170 we have a range of GPAs so it could be hard for us all to go to same place.
That is unless you apply to Alabama. You get $20 on itunes for applying, too, though you might need to use the fee waiver to get that.


I do have the waiver, and I was thinking about applying. Is the $20 offer still good? Do they pay for visit?

I feel like I will get WL at Duke and UVa. They saw right through my ploy of having them as safeties... I didn't apply to Georgetown.

I applied last week and they sent me an email the next day with 2 $10 codes for itunes. I gave them away because I don't use itunes but I assume they're still doing it. rli and I were emailing each other and he said the acceptance package said they cover lodging/airfare to the ASW. He also got a free t-shirt.

mapes
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: Club 170

Postby mapes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:54 pm

ha nice thread. i ate out and bought scotch to celebrate my 170. then it didn't seem so great anymore... that damn + sign people always put after the 170 on this site really grinds me! 4.0 gpa. in at duke so far. haven't heard from the rest. good luck everyone!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:58 pm

mapes wrote:ha nice thread. i ate out and bought scotch to celebrate my 170. then it didn't seem so great anymore... that damn + sign people always put after the 170 on this site really grinds me! 4.0 gpa. in at duke so far. haven't heard from the rest. good luck everyone!


Congrats on the 170 and the 4.0. I think we would have continued on celebrating if we didn't come on TLS :lol:

You should be good at higher up, good luck!

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby pereira6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
super6 wrote:This will be easier to figure out once we get acceptances. I have very similar numbers to rli66 so I'm sure I'll see him a couple times but within club 170 we have a range of GPAs so it could be hard for us all to go to same place.
That is unless you apply to Alabama. You get $20 on itunes for applying, too, though you might need to use the fee waiver to get that.


I do have the waiver, and I was thinking about applying. Is the $20 offer still good? Do they pay for visit?

I feel like I will get WL at Duke and UVa. They saw right through my ploy of having them as safeties... I didn't apply to Georgetown.


I also applied last week, got 20$ itunes.

Philly you didn't write some quick Why X essays to prevent the WLs?

PT Duke requested fall grades (and they're AWESOME), so its going to take a bit longer for them. Really thought I'd hear from more schools than GULC and UB by now...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

pereira6 wrote:I also applied last week, got 20$ itunes.

Philly you didn't write some quick Why X essays to prevent the WLs?

PT Duke requested fall grades (and they're AWESOME), so its going to take a bit longer for them. Really thought I'd hear from more schools than GULC and UB by now...


I wanted to get them out fast. I only wrote why Penn. I did tailor each app to be school specific. Wrote an extra page for Berkeley, wrote a paragraph for each school including UVa and Duke. I actually emailed to request PT since I didn't get it automatically but they ignored me.

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby rli66 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Yeah, apply to Alabama guys. The open house is on the 21st of January but I think Club 170 will receive decisions swiftly.

You'll likely get a 72k scholly along with an invitation to interview for the Dean's Scholarship (full oos tuition + 2k stipend). They'll also cover your travel and lodging expenses.. they'll even cover a flight for your parents (I asked, ha, but they aren't coming) if you are interested. You really can't beat the deal.

Plus the $20 iTunes credit.. pretty sweet return on your $12 investment. I say do it and let's go out in Tuscaloosa.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Please pardon the intrusion by a member of the 170- Club.

Initially I also felt the immense joy of finding out my score followed by the TLS-induced pain of finding out a 169 made me as smart as a rock. Please remember that TLS is nothing similar to the real world.

1. Most applicants are not on LSN or TLS so do not put too much stock on what is said or done here. This board tends to be self-selective to a type of person that I believe (Although obviously no one can prove or disprove this statement) is not necessarily representative of the most desirable candidates. After all, if I was an adcom and I found out someone had over a hundred posts on a totally self-interested board, (s)he would have some explaining to do. :)

2. NYU and HLS each admit 100 students a year with LSATs under 168, We can pretend that this is 100 percent explainable by Affirmative Action, but the truth of the matter is the better a school is the more likely that you can distinguish yourself with some "softs." After all, T30-50 know that even a single point slip in its LSAT or GPA stats will cost a few rungs in USNWR and with it millions of dollars. On the other hand, YLS could admit "The Situation" and still be #1. As a tie-in to #1, those with a sub 168 and arent a URM are probally not very likely to post on these boards as they have various other things on their plates more pressing and noble than discussing whether or not they will get into a LS. [I of course include myself as one of the less noble]

3. Here's the important part:
!!!!!!!!!You are all incredibly smart and driven and unless you applied like a d-bag you will have your choice of very fine law schools (t10) and a fighting chance at big law. !!!!!!!!!!

After all, a JD only gets you an interview, personality gets you a job. Believe me I have a somewhat shitty UG and I've gotten some pretty insane job offers due to my "softs" and my ability to turn an interview into a conversation; unfortunately, I still want to be a lawyer.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Club 170

Postby rayiner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm

LOL ^^^.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:48 pm

rayiner wrote:LOL ^^^.

No specific critique? .....

Edit: Unnecessary personal attack
Last edited by SemperLegal on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WhatSarahSaid
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:49 pm

those with a sub 168 and arent a URM are probally not very likely to post on these boards as they have various other things on their plates more pressing and noble than discussing whether or not they will get into a LS.


Having a slightly worse grip on logic/reading comprehension/test-taking strategy gives you less free time? Man, a good LSAT score opens so many doors!

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
those with a sub 168 and arent a URM are probally not very likely to post on these boards as they have various other things on their plates more pressing and noble than discussing whether or not they will get into a LS.


Having a slightly worse grip on logic/reading comprehension/test-taking strategy gives you less free time? Man, a good LSAT score opens so many doors!



Sorry, I mispoke. I mean that anyone with a sub 168, non-URM, and a t6 admission probally has no free time and very little interest in what this site offers as they probally run a NGO and save kittens from AQI on the weekend

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Club 170

Postby rayiner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:09 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
rayiner wrote:LOL ^^^.

No specific critique? .....

Edit: Unnecessary personal attack


Your point #1 is an unnecessary personal attack. It's idiotic to believe that how much time you spend posting on a message board has anything to do with anything.

There is nothing wrong with your 169, it's a perfectly fine LSAT score. Yes, NYU lets in 100+ people each year with a 169 or below. No, they aren't all minorities, but almost all of the ones who aren't have a GPA at or above 3.9 (their 75th) to compensate.

Yes, schools care about softs. Your softs might get you into Penn but not Michigan, etc. No, softs will not get you into anywhere your numbers don't qualify you for, unless they're truly extraordinary. LSN bears this out time and time again.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 pm

rayiner wrote:
Your point #1 is an unnecessary personal attack. It's idiotic to believe that how much time you spend posting on a message board has anything to do with anything.


Leaving the obvious point unreferenced, I obviously don't think poorly on anyone who posts here I am just saying LSN and TLS are viewed as being entirely representative of law school applicants and I truly do not believe this is correct. I believe that much of our competition does not post here and probally the most competitive applicants (eg the 178+ 3.9+ former VP of Operations for Microsoft would neither have the time nor the inclination to search for reassurance online) and perhaps current law students and 0Ls are not the sole canonical source for LS knowledge.

rayiner wrote:There is nothing wrong with your 169, it's a perfectly fine LSAT score. Yes, NYU lets in 100+ people each year with a 169 or below. No, they aren't all minorities, but almost all of the ones who aren't have a GPA at or above 3.9 (their 75th) to compensate.


Thanks. Thats my point to you 170ers. You are very, very smart and I am sure many of you, with the exception of the "genius stoner" stock character that I am not sure even exists, will have some way of distinguishing yourself to at least one of the t7, hopefully some of you have good GPAs otherwise... (see next section)

rayiner wrote:
Yes, schools care about softs. Your softs might get you into Penn but not Michigan, etc. No, softs will not get you into anywhere your numbers don't qualify you for, unless they're truly extraordinary. LSN bears this out time and time again.


My point is that 170 will qualify you for serious consideration anywhere short of HYS, just as my 169 will guarantee me at least a reading at T10-14. I am looking at the 2008-2009 number for CLS and it looks like you have a better then 1 in 3 chance. Thats a scary number, but objectively it is still a fighting chance that does not noticeably improve to around 174.

My general thesis is, don't stress about that single question you got wrong. In the end the difference between 170 and 171 is undeniable but it is far from devastating.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Club 170

Postby rayiner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Your point #1 is an unnecessary personal attack. It's idiotic to believe that how much time you spend posting on a message board has anything to do with anything.


Leaving the obvious point unreferenced, I obviously don't think poorly on anyone who posts here I am just saying LSN and TLS are viewed as being entirely representative of law school applicants and I truly do not believe this is correct. I believe that much of our competition does not post here and probally the most competitive applicants (eg the 178+ 3.9+ former VP of Operations for Microsoft would neither have the time nor the inclination to search for reassurance online) and perhaps current law students and 0Ls are not the sole canonical source for LS knowledge.

rayiner wrote:There is nothing wrong with your 169, it's a perfectly fine LSAT score. Yes, NYU lets in 100+ people each year with a 169 or below. No, they aren't all minorities, but almost all of the ones who aren't have a GPA at or above 3.9 (their 75th) to compensate.


Thanks. Thats my point to you 170ers. You are very, very smart and I am sure many of you, with the exception of the "genius stoner" stock character that I am not sure even exists, will have some way of distinguishing yourself to at least one of the t7, hopefully some of you have good GPAs otherwise... (see next section)

rayiner wrote:
Yes, schools care about softs. Your softs might get you into Penn but not Michigan, etc. No, softs will not get you into anywhere your numbers don't qualify you for, unless they're truly extraordinary. LSN bears this out time and time again.


My point is that 170 will qualify you for serious consideration anywhere short of HYS, just as my 169 will guarantee me at least a reading at T10-14. I am looking at the 2008-2009 number for CLS and it looks like you have a better then 1 in 3 chance. Thats a scary number, but objectively it is still a fighting chance that does not noticeably improve to around 174.

My general thesis is, don't stress about that single question you got wrong. In the end the difference between 170 and 171 is undeniable but it is far from devastating.


What the hell are you even talking about, other than trying to reassure yourself that you have a chance at T6?

Am I the only one who read this post as "3 + 4 = chair"?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Club 170

Postby beachbum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:07 pm

rayiner wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Your point #1 is an unnecessary personal attack. It's idiotic to believe that how much time you spend posting on a message board has anything to do with anything.


Leaving the obvious point unreferenced, I obviously don't think poorly on anyone who posts here I am just saying LSN and TLS are viewed as being entirely representative of law school applicants and I truly do not believe this is correct. I believe that much of our competition does not post here and probally the most competitive applicants (eg the 178+ 3.9+ former VP of Operations for Microsoft would neither have the time nor the inclination to search for reassurance online) and perhaps current law students and 0Ls are not the sole canonical source for LS knowledge.

rayiner wrote:There is nothing wrong with your 169, it's a perfectly fine LSAT score. Yes, NYU lets in 100+ people each year with a 169 or below. No, they aren't all minorities, but almost all of the ones who aren't have a GPA at or above 3.9 (their 75th) to compensate.


Thanks. Thats my point to you 170ers. You are very, very smart and I am sure many of you, with the exception of the "genius stoner" stock character that I am not sure even exists, will have some way of distinguishing yourself to at least one of the t7, hopefully some of you have good GPAs otherwise... (see next section)

rayiner wrote:
Yes, schools care about softs. Your softs might get you into Penn but not Michigan, etc. No, softs will not get you into anywhere your numbers don't qualify you for, unless they're truly extraordinary. LSN bears this out time and time again.


My point is that 170 will qualify you for serious consideration anywhere short of HYS, just as my 169 will guarantee me at least a reading at T10-14. I am looking at the 2008-2009 number for CLS and it looks like you have a better then 1 in 3 chance. Thats a scary number, but objectively it is still a fighting chance that does not noticeably improve to around 174.

My general thesis is, don't stress about that single question you got wrong. In the end the difference between 170 and 171 is undeniable but it is far from devastating.


What the hell are you even talking about, other than trying to reassure yourself that you have a chance at T6?

Am I the only one who read this post as "3 + 4 = chair"?


haha, I'm right there with you.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”