Club 170

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ludacrispat26

Re: Club 170

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:16 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
xtine wrote:I'm really happy I found this thread. Hanging out on the Columbia thread was bumming me out. I'm a 170/3.2 (ugh! why didn't I try harder in school!??!!) I'm 2-3 years out of college though, so that might help my case?

I already got into UVA (RD) and I'm waiting on Columbia, Northwestern, Georgetown and some safeties that I don't need anymore(!!!). I had an interview with Georgetown last week, so maybe I'll hear something soon? I'm going crazy with anticipation! UVA got back to me after 3 weeks (almost a month ago now) and now I have to wait forever to hear from anywhere else. ack!!!

You got into UVA RD with 170/3.2?? Do you live in VA or did you cure cancer????

:) congrats

URM...

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:18 pm

jealous that you already heard from UVA :( but congrats!!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:URM...

and a VA resident, probably should have checked the user info before posting!

xtine

Postby xtine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:22 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
xtine wrote:I'm really happy I found this thread. Hanging out on the Columbia thread was bumming me out. I'm a 170/3.2 (ugh! why didn't I try harder in school!??!!) I'm 2-3 years out of college though, so that might help my case?

I already got into UVA (RD) and I'm waiting on Columbia, Northwestern, Georgetown and some safeties that I don't need anymore(!!!). I had an interview with Georgetown last week, so maybe I'll hear something soon? I'm going crazy with anticipation! UVA got back to me after 3 weeks (almost a month ago now) and now I have to wait forever to hear from anywhere else. ack!!!

haha thanks! I am in-state. I actually went to UVA undergrad (which I heard usually works against you?) and I even work in Charlottesville still. It's sad because I don't actually want to go to UVA (please don't hurt me). I wanted to go somewhere new and exciting for law school, but if I don't get in anywhere better, I'd be stupid not to go to UVA. So I wait.

Also, I applied last year pretty late to just a handful of schools around VA/DC and I was waitlisted at UVA. I really didn't think I'd get in this year, but I guess it's a good thing I tried.
Last edited by xtine on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:23 pm

xtine wrote:haha thanks! I am in-state. I actually went to UVA undergrad (which I heard usually works against you?) and I even work in Charlottesville still. It's sad because I don't actually want to go to UVA (please don't hurt me). I wanted to go somewhere new and exciting for law school, but if I don't get in anywhere better, I'd be stupid not to go to UVA. So I wait.

I'm sure you will get into those other schools! It is still really early!!

swl56

Postby swl56 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:36 pm

i love this threaddd! finally, others who understand our positions! i'm a 170/3.83 waiting to hear back from almost every single school... won't someone take me in? :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:20 pm

swl56 wrote:i love this threaddd! finally, others who understand our positions! i'm a 170/3.83 waiting to hear back from almost every single school... won't someone take me in? :(

When did you submit? Did you ED anywhere?

swl56

Postby swl56 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm

ED to columbia... expecting a rejection letter pretty soon. EA to cornell too just because...

and then applied to all T14 schools (plus others) about 2-3 days after thanksgiving (late, i know :( )... why didn't i do my applications earlier!?!? argh.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:42 pm

swl56 wrote:ED to columbia... expecting a rejection letter pretty soon. EA to cornell too just because...

and then applied to all T14 schools (plus others) about 2-3 days after thanksgiving (late, i know :( )... why didn't i do my applications earlier!?!? argh.

Not that it matters at your dream schools, but you may be able to secure a few safeties by now. But it's ok, 170 is good enough to secure many acceptances, it's just the timing/wait that's a bit frustrating.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 am

i actually sent in all my safeties the first week or so of november and haven't heard from any of them! i've only heard from duke because of the priority track program... as for the rest of the T14, i have a feeling i'm not going to hear back for months because of my numbers :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:57 am

swl56 wrote:i actually sent in all my safeties the first week or so of november and haven't heard from any of them! i've only heard from duke because of the priority track program... as for the rest of the T14, i have a feeling i'm not going to hear back for months because of my numbers :(

FTFY. Don't forget where you are :wink:

Seriously best of luck! As long as you get in a T14 you want by the end of Sept. (preferably much earlier)

Lou9

Postby Lou9 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:30 pm

So I finally sent in my Vandy app over the weekend, but I'm not feeling too confident about it. I'm a 170/3.6 with three straight (hoping for four if finals go well) 4.0s from my degree granting college and have 3 years work experience. However, I did not interview as there were no alumni available anywhere near me. Should I hold out hope or be prepared for a ding?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Lou9 wrote:So I finally sent in my Vandy app over the weekend, but I'm not feeling too confident about it. I'm a 170/3.6 with three straight (hoping for four if finals go well) 4.0s from my degree granting college and have 3 years work experience. However, I did not interview as there were no alumni available anywhere near me. Should I hold out hope or be prepared for a ding?

I'm in with a lower gpa + 3 years WE, so there is hope! i sent my app in september.

Lou9

Postby Lou9 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:54 pm

hipstermafia wrote:I'm in with a lower gpa + 3 years WE, so there is hope! i sent my app in september.

Thanks, I probably should have tried to get the app out earlier, but it's too late for that now.

xtine

Postby xtine » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

URM...

Thanks so much, Ludacrispat26, for debasing my acceptance to UVA. It must be because I'm Hispanic that I got in. Definitely not because I lived and worked in China, speak Chinese and Spanish fluently, was on the Drumline, played bassoon for the Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble, had leadership roles in my sorority, planned conferences for the Baha'i community or have 3 years of work experience. Yup. Must be because I'm Hispanic that anybody with a 3.2 would ever get in to UVA.

Let's be nice to each other, please! I know everybody's stressed out because we're all waiting and we really want to justify why someone else has heard back or gotten into a school and we haven't, but let's refrain from putting each other down.

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:42 pm

xtine wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

URM...

Thanks so much, Ludacrispat26, for debasing my acceptance to UVA. It must be because I'm Hispanic that I got in. Definitely not because I lived and worked in China, speak Chinese and Spanish fluently, was on the Drumline, played bassoon for the Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble, had leadership roles in my sorority, planned conferences for the Baha'i community or have 3 years of work experience. Yup. Must be because I'm Hispanic that anybody with a 3.2 would ever get in to UVA.

Let's be nicer to each other, please! I know everybody's stressed out because we're all waiting and we really want to justify why someone else has heard back or gotten into a school and we haven't, but let's refrain from putting each other down.

Don't let it get you down. People are grasping at anything to figure out why one person is in and another isn't, and numbers/minority status are the most tangible thing they have to look at here. I don't think they were trying to wipe out your accomplishments, they were just going with the information they had. Obviously something put you over the top into the acceptance pile.

Nice to see a fellow bassoonist around. Congrats on your acceptance!

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 pm

xtine wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

URM...

Let's be nice to each other, please! I know everybody's stressed out because we're all waiting and we really want to justify why someone else has heard back or gotten into a school and we haven't, but let's refrain from putting each other down.

Its all good stuff that you listed don't get me wrong, but it all dwindles compared to the URM boost that you recieved. In fact you would probably have gotten UVA even if you didn't have the amazing softs like playing the bassoon or having leadership roles in your sorority. Hence the comment.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Can we please keep the URM talk out of this thread? All 170 scorers are welcome and treated fairly here.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:Can we please keep the URM talk out of this thread? All 170 scorers are welcome and treated fairly here.

amen.
plenty of snark in other threads.

capsman11

Postby capsman11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 pm

170 here, in at Michigan RD.

xtine

Postby xtine » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Ragged wrote:
Its all good stuff that you listed don't get me wrong, but it all dwindles compared to the URM boost that you recieved. In fact you would probably have gotten UVA even if you didn't have the amazing softs like playing the bassoon or having leadership roles in your sorority. Hence the comment.

...but I didn't get in last year so that couldn't have been enough :(

xtine

Postby xtine » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:23 pm

capsman11 wrote:170 here, in at Michigan RD.

congrats!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:50 pm

xtine wrote:
capsman11 wrote:170 here, in at Michigan RD.

congrats!

+1 congrats!

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:16 pm

xtine wrote:
Ragged wrote:

...but I didn't get in last year so that couldn't have been enough :(

Strange. Anyways, congrats on making it this year.

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:38 am

170 splitter checking in.

Waitlisted at GULC but I WILL succeed despite only scoring in the 97th percentile. TLS is literally the only place on the planet where 170-ers are feeling self-conscious about their LSAT.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”