Club 170 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
super6

Bronze

Re: Club 170

Post by super6 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:05 am

Rejected at Harvard today via email, I'm frankly surprised it took them so long.
Now I'm just waiting for Cornell (complete 2/18), Georgetown (complete 1/5), Texas (complete 12/15, also, I'm OOS so most likely a reject), and UNC (complete 12/22, also OOS but I would certainly hope that wouldn't get me rejected here)

freskie

New

Post by freskie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Lisi wrote:
freskie wrote: No WL love here. Straight ding...not even an email to console me, just status checker change. Bad form, Chicago.
That is unbelievable. They would really have you find out through checking your status???? How unbelievably rude!!! What did it say? Please tell me it said something better than "rejected." I don't think it's appropriate for schools to update the online checkers until after they have informed you of the decision via email, phone, or several days after sending a snail mail letter. I'm sorry, I just can't get over this! I don't even check my online status updates very often (if at all). This is an abusive use of internet efficiency in my opinion.
Apparently they had some problems with their emails...I received a formal email the next day informing me of my rejection. But I had been stalking the UChicago thread all day that day and saw that some people had received email dings, so when I checked my email and nothing was there I thought that at least I made it through without getting rejected. And then I logged into the status checker to see the message "Admission Denied: Notified by Email." Sad day.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Lisi wrote:
freskie wrote: No WL love here. Straight ding...not even an email to console me, just status checker change. Bad form, Chicago.
That is unbelievable. They would really have you find out through checking your status???? How unbelievably rude!!! What did it say? Please tell me it said something better than "rejected." I don't think it's appropriate for schools to update the online checkers until after they have informed you of the decision via email, phone, or several days after sending a snail mail letter. I'm sorry, I just can't get over this! I don't even check my online status updates very often (if at all). This is an abusive use of internet efficiency in my opinion.
They could just send a post-it note with "No" written on it. It would mean exactly the same thing. Why care about the wording of the rejection letter?

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:04 pm

niederbomb wrote:
Lisi wrote:
They could just send a post-it note with "No" written on it. It would mean exactly the same thing. Why care about the wording of the rejection letter?
Professionalism.

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 pm

I was less than a week shy from 2 months of no updates at GULC but today my application complete date finally updated. Now I've only been forgotten about by UNC and Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Can I join? 3.8/170

Durning LSAT prep, my goal was 170. Afterward, I feel like I should have shot higher, but I'm happy with the score and where I've been accepted.

Cheers

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Boggs wrote:Can I join? 3.8/170

Durning LSAT prep, my goal was 170. Afterward, I feel like I should have shot higher, but I'm happy with the score and where I've been accepted.

Cheers
Welcome to the show, broski! What's your story? Where ya lookin? This is a very cordial thread haha

rli66

Bronze

Post by rli66 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Compiling a package to send to UVA complete with a Why UVA essay, a diversity essay, a couple of more LORs, including one from a UVA grad.. also another letter about my financial situation. Maybe this will net me some more $$$.

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm

rli66 wrote:Compiling a package to send to UVA complete with a Why UVA essay, a diversity essay, a couple of more LORs, including one from a UVA grad.. also another letter about my financial situation. Maybe this will net me some more $$$.
I really hope you get it. Knowing your situation it would really suck if you couldn't go to UVA.

In other news, rejected at Georgetown today. After learning more about the school I wouldn't have gone without money so it's not a huge loss but it's just confusing because I got rejected with a 3.6 making me the highest gpa 170 to be rejected. The next highest has a 3.45.
Things like this make me feel like the process is totally random because I'm WL'd at Duke and UVA so it's unlikely there's something glaringly wrong with my app.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Just got preferred WL at Georgetown. Clearly I will be withdrawing. I find it strange that they have had my application for only 2 weeks as of today (it was "received" on 2/14). I was thinking of withdrawing from Georgetown and from most places on my list after getting into NYU. Still, kind of sucks to get what feels like a "we didn't really read your application" WL decision. I mean, of course they must have read it... but to have received it on the 14th (which isn't even when it would have been 'complete') and to already hand me a decision..... They must have a pretty streamlined process! Oh, my app is a little non-traditional: my stats are 170 / 3.78 (undergrad T10) and 3.78 (grad - ivy league PhD - which I think is more about the PhD and less about the GPA). Oh well. Why expect more from a rainy Monday evening?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Lisi wrote:Just got preferred WL at Georgetown. Clearly I will be withdrawing. I find it strange that they have had my application for only 2 weeks as of today (it was "received" on 2/14). I was thinking of withdrawing from Georgetown and from most places on my list after getting into NYU. Still, kind of sucks to get what feels like a "we didn't really read your application" WL decision. I mean, of course they must have read it... but to have received it on the 14th (which isn't even when it would have been 'complete') and to already hand me a decision..... They must have a pretty streamlined process! Oh, my app is a little non-traditional: my stats are 170 / 3.78 (undergrad T10) and 3.78 (grad - ivy league PhD - which I think is more about the PhD and less about the GPA). Oh well. Why expect more from a rainy Monday evening?
Applicants like you make me feel very small haha

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Lisi wrote:Just got preferred WL at Georgetown. Clearly I will be withdrawing. I find it strange that they have had my application for only 2 weeks as of today (it was "received" on 2/14). I was thinking of withdrawing from Georgetown and from most places on my list after getting into NYU. Still, kind of sucks to get what feels like a "we didn't really read your application" WL decision. I mean, of course they must have read it... but to have received it on the 14th (which isn't even when it would have been 'complete') and to already hand me a decision..... They must have a pretty streamlined process! Oh, my app is a little non-traditional: my stats are 170 / 3.78 (undergrad T10) and 3.78 (grad - ivy league PhD - which I think is more about the PhD and less about the GPA). Oh well. Why expect more from a rainy Monday evening?
Ah... don't say that! Unless by "small" you mean "young" - which is quite possible since I am not... hahaha (hit the big 3-0 this year....).

Just sent my first "withdraw" email.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Lisi wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
Ah... don't say that! Unless by "small" you mean "young" - which is quite possible since I am not... hahaha (hit the big 3-0 this year....).

Well I am only 20, very young by law school standards, but umm I only have a BA/MA from a large public school and here we are having some IVy league phd's goin to school with me haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Lisi wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Well I am only 20, very young by law school standards, but umm I only have a BA/MA from a large public school and here we are having some IVy league phd's goin to school with me haha
A BA/MA at 20? That is very impressive!!!!

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:36 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Boggs wrote:Can I join? 3.8/170

Cheers
Welcome to the show, broski! What's your story? Where ya lookin? This is a very cordial thread haha
Thanks for the welcome. I did my UG at a small and out-of-the-way university in eastern Washington state. Ultimately, I'd like to do ADR and run for public office in the PNW.

Right now the top 4 schools I'm considering are Berkeley, UVA, Michigan, and University of Washington. Waiting on financial aid (though I already have merit $$ at UVA and UM). The state of UC tuition rates scare me, but I'm holding judgment until I see what sort of package they put together.

I'm working in NY now and during the end of March and beginning of April I'll be driving home to WA state and visiting all the schools where I've been accepted.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Lisi wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
It's no PhD! Haha and it's from a good school but not exactly prestigious.

I just think schools look at my age and question my ability to kick ass in law school, whereas applicants like you are drooled over by the schools.

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Just wanted to wish all you guys good luck. 3.49/170 applying next cycle - and watching from the sidelines. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

speedyj88

Bronze

Post by speedyj88 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

mottainai wrote:Just wanted to wish all you guys good luck. 3.49/170 applying next cycle - and watching from the sidelines. :D
Get your apps in EARLY (much earlier than I did).

from a fellow 3.5/170-er

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm

mottainai wrote:Just wanted to wish all you guys good luck. 3.49/170 applying next cycle - and watching from the sidelines. :D
ED at Northwestern, assuming you want to go there.
pereira6 wrote:
Lisi wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
It's no PhD! Haha and it's from a good school but not exactly prestigious.

I just think schools look at my age and question my ability to kick ass in law school, whereas applicants like you are drooled over by the schools.
As a 19-year-old I, too, wonder if this has a negative effect. I've only got a B.A. (and it's not even done until I finished semester), though, so you're one up on me.

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:50 pm

speedyj88 wrote:

from a fellow 3.5/170-er
I will definitely do this. How early did you get your apps in?
super6 wrote:
I'm planning on blanketing Berkeley and down. I don't really want to ED anywhere, so I can keep my options open.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Continue on.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:09 pm

mottainai wrote:

Haha you certainly didn't hijack anything. You are a 170, and we love conversation!

Yes to applying earlier. Like, early October is good.

The reason someone suggested ED Northwestern is because splitters have a real, real tough time cracking the T14. 3.5 is hitting splitter territory, unless it's like biomedical engineering or some crazy thing. NW does not hit as hard as others with GPAs because they value work experience more. So, if you really want to hit the T14, your best shot is the ED to NW. I should also add that NW is a killer job-placement school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

speedyj88

Bronze

Post by speedyj88 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 pm

mottainai wrote:I will definitely do this. How early did you get your apps in?
I submitted most of them in mid-November, but you can see more detailed info on when I sent each app on my LSN account. I have the link on my TLS profile (just click "Profile" below this post).

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:22 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Haha you certainly didn't hijack anything. You are a 170, and we love conversation!

Yes to applying earlier. Like, early October is good.

The reason someone suggested ED Northwestern is because splitters have a real, real tough time cracking the T14. 3.5 is hitting splitter territory, unless it's like biomedical engineering or some crazy thing. NW does not hit as hard as others with GPAs because they value work experience more. So, if you really want to hit the T14, your best shot is the ED to NW. I should also add that NW is a killer job-placement school.
Hm, I thought I'd have a shot at least the lower T14 (2 years of international WE, forgot to mention it).

I guess it's something to take into consideration, but ED has me nervous since it'll basically disqualify me from any $$ I get from lower ranked schools.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm

mottainai wrote:
Hm, I thought I'd have a shot at least the lower T14 (2 years of international WE, forgot to mention it).

I guess it's something to take into consideration, but ED has me nervous since it'll basically disqualify me from any $$ I get from lower ranked schools.
I definitely don't mean to be an end-all predictor for you, I'm just regurgitating what lawschoolnumbers tells me as far as your numbers haha

And, yes, I didn't ED to NYU/Columbia because I wanted to see what money I got from lower schools. But, it depends on how bad you want NW. I wouldn't ED to any other school but them.

capsman11

New

Post by capsman11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:33 pm

mottainai wrote:
speedyj88 wrote:

from a fellow 3.5/170-er
I will definitely do this. How early did you get your apps in?
super6 wrote:
I'm planning on blanketing Berkeley and down. I don't really want to ED anywhere, so I can keep my options open.

I'm a 3.49 170, had my apps in early-mid November, and I'm in at Penn, Cornell, and Michigan with a Dean's. So based on my experience, you don't necessarily need to freak out about applying in October or EDing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”