Club 170 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cardinals1989

Silver

Re: Club 170

Post by cardinals1989 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:38 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:In @ Duke today. Still can't believe I didn't get in UCLA.
Yay, congrats!! Where is Duke on your list?
Let's see what money I get before I assign a place - I don't know I would pay anywhere near sticker to any school at this point (except 3) hahaha

Did you apply there?
Yeah, I applied on Priority Track back in October. I don't think I will go at this point, but I am holding on to it just in case.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:40 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Yeah, I applied on Priority Track back in October. I don't think I will go at this point, but I am holding on to it just in case.
Are you visiting? ASW's the same weekend as Penn, tough. I do know the area well though, just never been inside of the school.

I know I wouldn't take it over UVa at the same price, so unless they give me more money ...

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Are you visiting? ASW's the same weekend as Penn, tough. I do know the area well though, just never been inside of the school.

I know I wouldn't take it over UVa at the same price, so unless they give me more money ...
I don't think so...I have something that I have to do that weekend. I would also take UVA over Duke, but...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:54 am

cardinals1989 wrote: I don't think so...I have something that I have to do that weekend. I would also take UVA over Duke, but...
Did you LOCI v2? I still can't believe it ...

Would it matter to you if Duke gave you a lot of $$$? Or is it CLS at this point over anything you got.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote: I don't think so...I have something that I have to do that weekend. I would also take UVA over Duke, but...
Did you LOCI v2? I still can't believe it ...

Would it matter to you if Duke gave you a lot of $$$? Or is it CLS at this point over anything you got.
I haven't yet. I'm not sure if I will or not...I have been more focused on my Berkeley and Yale apps recently. As far as Duke, I just don't feel any strong draw to the school or Durham. They have definitely been very great and professional, though. Money might do something..all I know is I am really unsure at this point. I was perfectly satisfied before I got CLS to go to Georgetown, but now I am just completely undecided. I hope Stanford clears this up for me. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:11 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
I haven't yet. I'm not sure if I will or not...I have been more focused on my Berkeley and Yale apps recently. As far as Duke, I just don't feel any strong draw to the school or Durham. They have definitely been very great and professional, though. Money might do something..all I know is I am really unsure at this point. I was perfectly satisfied before I got CLS to go to Georgetown, but now I am just completely undecided. I hope Stanford clears this up for me. :mrgreen:
Throw in Berkeley it may really get complicated. I also help that Stanford clears this up for me as well. I'd be happy to write a check and call it a cycle.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:44 am

Duke is nice; state of the art facilities, beautiful surroundings etc.

I've never lived in a big city though, and I'd kind of like to see what that's about. Berk/NYU/Penn have moved up on my list for this reason (and the fact that they offer a *slightly* better shot at that impossible ACLU gig that I dream about).

edit: When I say I haven't lived in a big city, I really mean it. I grew up in a town of 450, and the "city" in which I went to school/spent most my time was 20 miles away, and it had a population of 100,000.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:Duke is nice; state of the art facilities, beautiful surroundings etc.

I've never lived in a big city though, and I'd kind of like to see what that's about. Berk/NYU/Penn have moved up on my list for this reason (and the fact that they offer a *slightly* better shot at that impossible ACLU gig that I dream about).

edit: When I say I haven't lived in a big city, I really mean it. I grew up in a town of 450, and the "city" in which I went to school/spent most my time was 20 miles away, and it had a population of 100,000.
You might like NYU then. I mean, it is THE city of the world. If you have never spent extended time there, it is worth it to do so - especially if you can leave in 3 years if you don't like it. NYU also probably gives you the best shot at your objectives, plus the LRAP is better.

I'd say visit all 3 and see, but you can't right? If I had vote for you, I'd go NYU. It you end up hating the city life, Penn/Berkeley isn't going to give you a small town life, so might as well go for the big city!

rli66

Bronze

Post by rli66 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Can Club 170 help me out by figuring out a way to ask for more money from UVA? I really have no leverage... at all.. here is my LSN:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/dc496

I need about another 10k a year. 5 may do it. Thanks guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:14 pm

rli66 wrote:Can Club 170 help me out by figuring out a way to ask for more money from UVA? I really have no leverage... at all.. here is my LSN:

I think you already got a great deal considering you are dragging on one median. I think 75k is about what most people 170/>median GPA get. It would hurt to ask but I don't know at this point you can negotiate anything. Hope for a really poor applicant pool and maybe you can get a bit more later. I will try to negotiate mine a bit higher too later.

Did you submit the need-based forms? Maybe they can add a bit need-based into the mix.

rli66

Bronze

Post by rli66 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rli66 wrote:Can Club 170 help me out by figuring out a way to ask for more money from UVA? I really have no leverage... at all.. here is my LSN:

I think you already got a great deal considering you are dragging on one median. I think 75k is about what most people 170/>median GPA get. It would hurt to ask but I don't know at this point you can negotiate anything. Hope for a really poor applicant pool and maybe you can get a bit more later. I will try to negotiate mine a bit higher too later.

Did you submit the need-based forms? Maybe they can add a bit need-based into the mix.
Thanks for the honest answer. And there's no way I'll qualify for need-based aid, haha, unfortunately.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:20 pm

rli66 wrote:
Thanks for the honest answer. And there's no way I'll qualify for need-based aid, haha, unfortunately.
BTW I meant to say it wouldn't hurt. And you also said you have no leverage. I would just wait until after visit, before deposit deadline. Let them know you are ready to deposit but you would like to know if they could up the offer.

You can always try to get a 172+ on the LSAT in June and try for more money, but the only leverage you have is losing your deposit and either getting on a different WL, or reapply. But look at your 3.6, I would be really happy and just ask nicely.

Also if there is no way you could get need aid, then you would probably be ok with 75k ;)

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 am

From what I saw that scholarship was atypical based on your numbers. Considering your weren't that in to UVA I still think you're best bet it using it to leverage your way into Vandy or wherever else you wanted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:07 am

I think Duke and UVa are both trying very hard to keep the 170 median. They seem to be giving away good money for everyone that hits both medians.

It might pay off to have a 170 much more than last cycle.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:11 am

r6_philly wrote:I think Duke and UVa are both trying very hard to keep the 170 median. They seem to be giving away good money for everyone that hits both medians.

Tell that to my Duke waitlist :P ...and to think I was planning on packing my bags already cause I thought I'd land a scholly there.

For the sake of this thread, I hope you're right!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:16 am

pereira6 wrote:
Tell that to my Duke waitlist :P ...and to think I was planning on packing my bags already cause I thought I'd land a scholly there.

I wonder if getting in on late PT hurt you. I wasn't PT so they could hold on to it as long as they want before making a decision. They had to give you a decision before 10 days are up. I wonder if Dec scores are disappointing so they went to back to the non PT files. In the past few days they admitted a few 170+.

Look at their LSN graph. They can't sustain all 170+ this cycle. I know they are trying really hard, but there might just not be enough 170's out there. I'd venture to guess they would give up the GPA median for the LSAT median. So for all the 170 splitters out there, it's probably worth waiting on the WL.

You should send a short LOCI, you might get in off the WL now.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 am

r6_philly wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

I wonder if getting in on late PT hurt you. I wasn't PT so they could hold on to it as long as they want before making a decision. They had to give you a decision before 10 days are up. I wonder if Dec scores are disappointing so they went to back to the non PT files. In the past few days they admitted a few 170+.

Look at their LSN graph. They can't sustain all 170+ this cycle. I know they are trying really hard, but there might just not be enough 170's out there. I'd venture to guess they would give up the GPA median for the LSAT median. So for all the 170 splitters out there, it's probably worth waiting on the WL.

You should send a short LOCI, you might get in off the WL now.
Hm, interesting thought. PT actually hurting questionable candidates by the thought of "ah damn, eff it, we can't decide...WL"

I'm not sure it applies to me though. After 10 days they requested my fall grades; the admissions guy said after 10 days a decision might not necessarily would be made--just a response on the application. As soon as my fall grades came in, he said I am no longer under a new PT; they can now take as long as they want to review my file. They WLed me fairly quickly, but they also could have held a decision until later.

LOCI is going out soon, regardless, and maybe try to yank some money from them around deposit time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:26 am

pereira6 wrote:
Hm, interesting thought. PT actually hurting questionable candidates by the thought of "ah damn, eff it, we can't decide...WL"

I'm not sure it applies to me though. After 10 days they requested my fall grades; the admissions guy said after 10 days a decision might not necessarily would be made--just a response on the application. As soon as my fall grades came in, he said I am no longer under a new PT; they can now take as long as they want to review my file. They WLed me fairly quickly, but they also could have held a decision until later.

LOCI is going out soon, regardless, and maybe try to yank some money from them around deposit time.
Remember you got your decision before Dec. LSAT results were really known. It's interesting they held off on some RD people for 4-5 months and started a fury of acceptances this weekend, the same weekend a lot of other schools have deadlines. They might have seen enough of the pool as a whole and decided to move on pending files in an effort to keep the median.

If I get a decent scholarship, then you know it's probably true.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35 am

r6_philly wrote: Remember you got your decision before Dec. LSAT results were really known. It's interesting they held off on some RD people for 4-5 months and started a fury of acceptances this weekend, the same weekend a lot of other schools have deadlines. They might have seen enough of the pool as a whole and decided to move on pending files in an effort to keep the median.

If I get a decent scholarship, then you know it's probably true.
Deadlines for...?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:38 am

pereira6 wrote:
Deadlines for...?
Application deadlines. Most Dec. taker probably prepared their applications fore submission before 2/1

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:40 am

Seeing as its been the only bad news of my cycle so far, I'm gonna roll out a killer LOCI so that they even give me $$ off the WL :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 am

pereira6 wrote:Seeing as its been the only bad news of my cycle so far, I'm gonna roll out a killer LOCI so that they even give me $$ off the WL :mrgreen:
Do it now! There is no reason why they wouldn't take you off WL now.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

On a side note, being 20 years old is going to make this visiting schools process a complete hassle/VERY expensive. I can't rent any cars...I'm going to have to do some hardcore research on transportation.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm

pereira6 wrote:On a side note, being 20 years old is going to make this visiting schools process a complete hassle/VERY expensive. I can't rent any cars...I'm going to have to do some hardcore research on transportation.
Make friend quick! Older ones. :lol:

Which ASWs are you having issues with?

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:I think Duke and UVa are both trying very hard to keep the 170 median. They seem to be giving away good money for everyone except cardinals1989 that hits both medians.

FTFM :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”