In at NYU

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pocketwatcher

Re: In at NYU

Postby pocketwatcher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Did everyone else just get an email from NYU about that summer prep program?

I thought it might be an RTK interview invite and then it wasn't. Seriously NYU? Way to make me almost start crying in my office.

champsound

Postby champsound » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:04 pm

pocketwatcher wrote:Did everyone else just get an email from NYU about that summer prep program?

I thought it might be an RTK interview invite and then it wasn't. Seriously NYU? Way to make me almost start crying in my office.

I got that email too. Great fake out. I am just waiting for news on regular scholarships since I applied kind of late. Beginning to think that it killed my chances of getting anything at all.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:07 pm

pocketwatcher wrote:Did everyone else just get an email from NYU about that summer prep program?

+1

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Ya, it took me a second to find out what they were even talking about. I'm still not entirely clear on what it is actually. Other than not the scholarship I applied for. >.<

mst

Postby mst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm

law previews like a summer course. from what i hear its worth it. the biggest advantage is that it kind of gives you the mindset of "oh shit this is real." before its too late. i was planning on doing it anyways. if LW wants to pay for it for me, by all means!

parsi

Postby parsi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating their scholarship higher?

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 pm

parsi wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating their scholarship higher?

Would also like to know this. I sent in an appeal for mine last week and still haven't heard anything...

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 pm

ahduth wrote:

Ya, it took me a second to find out what they were even talking about. I'm still not entirely clear on what it is actually. Other than not the scholarship I applied for. >.<

Word, I was like, "scholly from NYU! OH WAIT."

:evil: :evil: :evil:

At this point, I figure no RTK for me, I just want to know SOMETHING.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 pm

mst wrote:law previews like a summer course. from what i hear its worth it. the biggest advantage is that it kind of gives you the mindset of "oh shit this is real." before its too late. i was planning on doing it anyways. if LW wants to pay for it for me, by all means!

Hmm, I've heard mixed things about it, and mostly that it's not really worth the huge amount of money (as long as you read LSC/GTM/something along those lines). But if they'll pay for it, then I'm down too!

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:18 pm

mst wrote:law previews like a summer course. from what i hear its worth it. the biggest advantage is that it kind of gives you the mindset of "oh shit this is real." before its too late. i was planning on doing it anyways. if LW wants to pay for it for me, by all means!

No. It is def not worth the money at all, from what I hear. Especially for those people who have already found TLS.

pocketwatcher

Postby pocketwatcher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Word, I was like, "scholly from NYU! OH WAIT."

:evil: :evil: :evil:

At this point, I figure no RTK for me, I just want to know SOMETHING.

Exactly. It would be really nice to have the courtesy of a ding email at this point. And my offer from the financial aid office, so I know exactly how much debt I'm getting into.

I mean, it could only be $200,000 right? So it's not that much to worry about. If you're a millionaire.

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm

did anyone get a message from dean ricky revesz today?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:11 pm

cawquette wrote:did anyone get a message from dean ricky revesz today?

Nope, but I am now a little terrified after reading the bios of the people on the RTK interview panel.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:11 pm

cawquette wrote:did anyone get a message from dean ricky revesz today?

No... :(

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Nope, I did get a form letter by snail mail from him a week ago if that's what you mean.

champsound

Postby champsound » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm

This probably outs me as paying too much attention to the law school app process, but the date on my financial aid status checker changed for the final stage of review from a 1.5 weeks ago to today just now! And the icon with the lock symbol is missing. What does it mean?!?!?! #TLSoverspeculation #needtochillout

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:16 pm

I have come up with a theory:

Everybody currently in the final stage of review will get their aid offers on April 4.

I think this makes at least occasional sense.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 pm

at least you're in review...mine still says application not started...and i submitted fafsa/needaccess in january and have called them multiple times. yesterday they told me to call back on wednesday if it hasn't changed by then. :?

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:23 pm

champsound wrote:This probably outs me as paying too much attention to the law school app process, but the date on my financial aid status checker changed for the final stage of review from a 1.5 weeks ago to today just now! And the icon with the lock symbol is missing. What does it mean?!?!?! #TLSoverspeculation #needtochillout

Can someone please enlighten me where to access this financial aid status checker?

champsound

Postby champsound » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 pm

neonx wrote:
champsound wrote:This probably outs me as paying too much attention to the law school app process, but the date on my financial aid status checker changed for the final stage of review from a 1.5 weeks ago to today just now! And the icon with the lock symbol is missing. What does it mean?!?!?! #TLSoverspeculation #needtochillout

Can someone please enlighten me where to access this financial aid status checker?

Theres a link to it in the admitted students portion of the website under the financial aid page. Or you can just click here it'll take you to the same place: https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm

I submitted both FAFSA and Need Access in January. My financial aid checker reads: "Your application has been submitted and is currently being reviewed" still. Is this the same for all applicants interviewing for named scholarships? I'm interviewing for RTK Jacobson.

Also, in the event I do not get a named scholarship, does anyone have any idea what sort of merit aid to expect (if any)?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:32 pm

neonx wrote:I submitted both FAFSA and Need Access in January. My financial aid checker reads: "Your application has been submitted and is currently being reviewed" still. Is this the same for all applicants interviewing for named scholarships? I'm interviewing for RTK Jacobson.

Also, in the event I do not get a named scholarship, does anyone have any idea what sort of merit aid to expect (if any)?

Someone in the scholarship thread yesterday said 50k - 75k. It's decent but not amazing considering NYU's hefty cost. :|

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:33 pm

If you're in contention for a named, I think the process is slightly different.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:34 pm

law_monkey wrote:
neonx wrote:I submitted both FAFSA and Need Access in January. My financial aid checker reads: "Your application has been submitted and is currently being reviewed" still. Is this the same for all applicants interviewing for named scholarships? I'm interviewing for RTK Jacobson.

Someone in the scholarship thread yesterday said 50k - 75k. It's decent but not amazing considering NYU's hefty cost. :|

Yeah, that was me. I was looking on LSN, and for people who reported recieving scholarship money, that range was common.

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm

sarahh wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Yeah, that was me. I was looking on LSN, and for people who reported recieving scholarship money, that range was common.

Would you guys recommend sending in other offers from peer schools in the hope of swaying NYU for more aid? I'd rather put all of my cards on the table than deal with appealing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”