In at NYU

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
supahstahxruv
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby supahstahxruv » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:57 am

for those who were at the first ASW, is it normal for people to bring guests? Penn's ASW email stated that guests were welcome, so I'm planning on bringing a friend who wants to go for fun, but I don't see any mention of it on the NYU website and I don't want to bring someone along if that's frowned upon/they aren't planning for the space to accommodate +1's...

thanks!

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby chasgoose » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 am

supahstahxruv wrote:for those who were at the first ASW, is it normal for people to bring guests? Penn's ASW email stated that guests were welcome, so I'm planning on bringing a friend who wants to go for fun, but I don't see any mention of it on the NYU website and I don't want to bring someone along if that's frowned upon/they aren't planning for the space to accommodate +1's...

thanks!


For the most part, I think its fine. There are very few aspects to the ASW that were space-limited and would cause problems for guests. That said, many of the events would be very boring to someone not trying to choose a law school. I found them somewhat boring as a potential student (I still liked them, but I grew weary) and I can't imagine how tedious they would appear to someone not going to law school. Also, some events, like the faculty lunch, probably wouldn't work as well with a +1 in attendance as your +1 would be taking up a seat that an admitted student might want. Basically, I would bring a guest, but I would also make sure that guest plans other activities for the two days so he/she can escape when necessary. It shouldn't be that hard as its NYC after all...

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby law_monkey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 am

neonx wrote:So, how many users on this board are going to the RTK interview? I feel like we should be besties and quick.


Meeee!!!!! And yes we should all be besties now so we can all be besties for real next fall after we've all won the scholly! :D

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby champsound » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 am

LinzerTorte wrote:
champsound wrote:
pocketwatcher wrote:Still nothing either way on RTK. And still nothing either way from the NYU financial aid office.

This is getting to be a serious bummer.

I keep checking the FAAPS page with nothing changing. This is like the admissions process all over again.


Word, I'm pretty sure after you head into final review that's it in terms of movement, but I still check every morning anyway.

STATUS CHECKERS I CANT QUIT YOU

I am already in final review, but I think someone mentioned that a tab saying "my awards" will appear with a PDF of the award letter. Thus... continuous checking on my part.

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby LinzerTorte » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:49 am

champsound wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
champsound wrote:
pocketwatcher wrote:Still nothing either way on RTK. And still nothing either way from the NYU financial aid office.

This is getting to be a serious bummer.

I keep checking the FAAPS page with nothing changing. This is like the admissions process all over again.


Word, I'm pretty sure after you head into final review that's it in terms of movement, but I still check every morning anyway.

STATUS CHECKERS I CANT QUIT YOU

I am already in final review, but I think someone mentioned that a tab saying "my awards" will appear with a PDF of the award letter. Thus... continuous checking on my part.


!!!!!

:shock: :shock:

Almost wish I DIDN'T know this, but now that I do...thanks champ!

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby mcweanis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:54 am

lsathalon wrote:
mcweanis wrote:what are you guys doing in terms of your scholarship expiration dates? mine expires the 4th; my penn toll scholarship interview is the 8th. obviously it would suck to give up my 30k and then not get the toll, but i'm definitely not going to lose my chance at 120k at penn for a definite 30k at nyu! ahh! any ideas?


Send NYU an email as soon as possible explaining why you need an extension. Last year, they gave me a very modest extension--enough to hear back from all schools on merit aid but not enough to actually visit all of the schools. The sooner you ask, the better, and make sure you have a date to tell them by which you will know what your offers are from the schools you still want to hear from.


sent an extension request for mid-April (Toll doesn't say when awards are announced!).. i'll update when i hear back

adestante
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby adestante » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey all! At the risk of jinxing anything...FAAPS status went to 'final stages of review' on 2/23 and I've heard nothing...did apply for a specific scholarship, though not RTK. From what I'm reading, the consensus is the holdup is due to applications being sidelined until those various selection committees finish their jobs, yes?

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby mel2010 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:11 pm

adestante wrote:Hey all! At the risk of jinxing anything...FAAPS status went to 'final stages of review' on 2/23 and I've heard nothing...did apply for a specific scholarship, though not RTK. From what I'm reading, the consensus is the holdup is due to applications being sidelined until those various selection committees finish their jobs, yes?

That's the guess, yes. Good luck regardless!

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby ahduth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:30 pm

So... has anyone heard anything about the Jacobson? It's like the anti-PI scholarship. Not as cool as the RTK, not as popular... we slink around, don't admit we applied... claim we're going to Columbia until the last minute...

I'd just like to know I'm out of the running. :D

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 pm

ahduth wrote:So... has anyone heard anything about the Jacobson? It's like the anti-PI scholarship. Not as cool as the RTK, not as popular... we slink around, don't admit we applied... claim we're going to Columbia until the last minute...

I'd just like to know I'm out of the running. :D

I'm assuming I didn't get it (I didn't get any merit-based aid from NYU, per my award letter).

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby ahduth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:42 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
ahduth wrote:So... has anyone heard anything about the Jacobson? It's like the anti-PI scholarship. Not as cool as the RTK, not as popular... we slink around, don't admit we applied... claim we're going to Columbia until the last minute...

I'd just like to know I'm out of the running. :D

I'm assuming I didn't get it (I didn't get any merit-based aid from NYU, per my award letter).


Hrm, well that sucks, although I'm not entirely certain the two are precisely lined up (although from this board it seems that way). I'm not clear on what's taking them so long, it's almost April.

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby hoping » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:55 pm

does anyone know what "satisfactory academic success" means? my merit scholarship says that it contingent upon it..and does not explain what it means...

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:25 pm

hoping wrote:does anyone know what "satisfactory academic success" means? my merit scholarship says that it contingent upon it..and does not explain what it means...

I'd call to ask them, but if there's not a stated GPA requirement you probably just have to remain in good academic standing, i.e., not flunk out. Congratulations!

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby hoping » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 pm

thanks grumbles! yeah I am def going to call tom...have you seen a1 mention a gpa that they have to keep up? did they write a # in anyones?

dianaw
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby dianaw » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:41 pm

just to clarify, they're not offering student lodgings for asw weekends, right?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:53 pm

dianaw wrote:just to clarify, they're not offering student lodgings for asw weekends, right?

If you go through the facebook page there is someone who is facilitating student hosts. I don't remember who it was, but if you mention it there someone will help you out most likely.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 am

Okay, so I'm expecting an RTK ding today (if NYU is merciful and doesn't make us wait until Sunday). If I'm not mistaken, no one has received an interview invitation since Monday, so it seems like the invites have all gone out and they're just waiting to reject us now. We can dream that they're finalizing one last batch, though...

Edit: Aaaaand, this is the 666th response in this thread. A bad sign?

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby LinzerTorte » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:51 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Okay, so I'm expecting an RTK ding today (if NYU is merciful and doesn't make us wait until Sunday). If I'm not mistaken, no one has received an interview invitation since Monday, so it seems like the invites have all gone out and they're just waiting to reject us now. We can dream that they're finalizing one last batch, though...

Edit: Aaaaand, this is the 666th response in this thread. A bad sign?


They better e-mail that shit, too. If I have to wait for an RTK ding in the mail I will be PISSED.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby sarahh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:23 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Okay, so I'm expecting an RTK ding today (if NYU is merciful and doesn't make us wait until Sunday). If I'm not mistaken, no one has received an interview invitation since Monday, so it seems like the invites have all gone out and they're just waiting to reject us now. We can dream that they're finalizing one last batch, though...

Edit: Aaaaand, this is the 666th response in this thread. A bad sign?


They better e-mail that shit, too. If I have to wait for an RTK ding in the mail I will be PISSED.


I am expecting it to come at the end of the day. I have basically lost all hope.

User avatar
pocketwatcher
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby pocketwatcher » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Are we sure they even send us a ding? Or do we just not hear anything and figure it out from the silence?

*sigh* This really stinks.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:31 pm

pocketwatcher wrote:Are we sure they even send us a ding? Or do we just not hear anything and figure it out from the silence?

*sigh* This really stinks.

The sound of silence? Essential impending RTK rejection listening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-S90Uch2as

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby sarahh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:58 pm

pocketwatcher wrote:Are we sure they even send us a ding? Or do we just not hear anything and figure it out from the silence?

*sigh* This really stinks.

I believe last year people got an e-mail that said that all the invitations had gone out.

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: In at NYU

Postby LinzerTorte » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:16 pm

sarahh wrote:
pocketwatcher wrote:Are we sure they even send us a ding? Or do we just not hear anything and figure it out from the silence?

*sigh* This really stinks.

I believe last year people got an e-mail that said that all the invitations had gone out.


Wow, way to majorly passive-agressive up that ding, NYU!

"So, all of the invitations have gone out...so..."

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby neonx » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Did anyone write RTK specific essays? I just checked all of the scholarship boxes at the end and hoped for the best. To be honest, I never even thought I had a chance of getting accepted to the school, much less one of their scholarships, and by the time I received the purple envelope, the deadline to scholarship essays had already passed. Interestingly, my personal statement wasn't even on public interest (save for one or two lines at the end. Maybe they looked at the PI-slant on my resume?

Either way, I'm pumped to visit NYU!

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: In at NYU

Postby mel2010 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:44 pm

neonx wrote:Did anyone write RTK specific essays? I just checked all of the scholarship boxes at the end and hoped for the best. To be honest, I never even thought I had a chance of getting accepted to the school, much less one of their scholarships, and by the time I received the purple envelope, the deadline to scholarship essays had already passed. Interestingly, my personal statement wasn't even on public interest (save for one or two lines at the end. Maybe they looked at the PI-slant on my resume?

Either way, I'm pumped to visit NYU!

I didn't write the specific one because my personal statement was all about it and I thought my softs would back it up a little. That being said, I thought I'd get into the school but I did not have high hopes for the scholly, just figured I'd give it a shot. At this point though, just waiting to get rejected and find out what my regular financial aid offer will be, if anything...

Edit: Does anyone have an idea about whether it's worth sending updates during the financial aid process? I got good midterm grades and my senior thesis was nominated for an award, but I don't know if that merits bugging them about it. Thanks either way...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”