In at NYU

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bleedblue

Re: In at NYU

Postby bleedblue » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Frankie55 wrote:
NYC_7911 wrote:^^ I called the LS financial aid office yesterday, and they said they encouraged all students to get Need Access in within 2 weeks of being admitted (even though the deadline isn't until April 1). They also said it needed to be filled out in order to be considered for merit aid, but that seems to contradict some posts from last year, in which students received invitations to apply for dean's scholarships before they filled out any financial info. (I don't know if the same applies for named scholarships, but I would assume so). Anyway, I think a safe bet is to fill out at least Need Access ASAP.

So merit isn't granted automatically and sent later on the basis of numbers--they ask you to write an essay for a Dean's?

That was the case last year. But this year there is no institutional form, just NeedAccess and FAFSA

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm

So maybe they've changed the Dean's system as well? Seems kind of cutting it close to deposit deadlines to invite people later in the month (since no one's been invited yet, right?), review, and send out awards.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

I would really like to know about RTK soon. It is the only thing I am waiting on. I filled out my part of Needs Access, but my parents' forms will not be done for a few weeks - they are still waiting for some tax info. My mom keeps on telling me I should call my brother's college's roommate's father, who apparently is a trustee at the school and big donor, and ask him for the school to give me money. I told her that was creepy.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Frankie55 wrote:So maybe they've changed the Dean's system as well? Seems kind of cutting it close to deposit deadlines to invite people later in the month (since no one's been invited yet, right?), review, and send out awards.

Well it looks like last year named-schollys went out Friday of next week. Dean's awards go out in March. And NYU was making the deposit deadline way sooner (like within 2 weeks of receiving the award) once you get it. But with LSAC's new "no binding dates" rule they might not be able to do that this year.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Good to know. Thanks.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:14 pm

I can't find it on their website, and don't want to resubmit NeedAccess just to see the special instructions--does NYU want you to submit tax returns/evidence of other income like Cornell/Columbia/etc. do?

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 pm

don't know about you guys... but i'm pretty pumped about NYU. haha all the stuff has been trickling in and it's been pretty nice thinking about attending in a few months. nyu shade of purple is looking pretty good. also - i just ate a sandwich.

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:37 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating for scholarship money yet? If not, when should we? After need- and merit-based offers are announced? When would that be?

(cross-posted in NYU 2011 thread)

I am wondering the same thing. How do we even go about negotiating? I just got offered a 150k scholarship to Northwestern (only if i work for a year prior to matriculation). Do we email the admissions office at NYU to inform them of other financial aid offers after filling out NeedAccess?

I am so clueless =/

melamine

Postby melamine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm

just got a new letter today - with the glossy magazine. latest thing to come in. still no pizza box though. frowny face.

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Pizza box today. :)

melamine

Postby melamine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:53 pm

haha - did anyone watch the latest episode of Castle? At the end, Rick Castle makes plans for a fundraiser to fund a scholarship named after Johanna Beckett (Kate Beckett's mother), to give a student at Johanna Beckett's law school (she lived in NYC?) a full ride, if they pursue a career in public interest. Unfortunately, I couldn't find out what law school Johanna Beckett went to, lol.

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:19 pm

subtle wrote:Pizza box today. :)

me too! i expected something bigger. this is like a mini pizza box

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 pm

sarahh wrote:I would really like to know about RTK soon. It is the only thing I am waiting on. I filled out my part of Needs Access, but my parents' forms will not be done for a few weeks - they are still waiting for some tax info. My mom keeps on telling me I should call my brother's college's roommate's father, who apparently is a trustee at the school and big donor, and ask him for the school to give me money. I told her that was creepy.

+1, the sooner I hear about RTK, the easier my decision will be.

Sent in NeedAccess today, and then realized that I left something off of it. FMLLLLLLL

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 pm

melamine wrote:haha - did anyone watch the latest episode of Castle? At the end, Rick Castle makes plans for a fundraiser to fund a scholarship named after Johanna Beckett (Kate Beckett's mother), to give a student at Johanna Beckett's law school (she lived in NYC?) a full ride, if they pursue a career in public interest. Unfortunately, I couldn't find out what law school Johanna Beckett went to, lol.

YES!!!!!! I definitely know what you're talking about!!! You're my new favorite person since no one else I know watches Castle. And I was wondering too haha. :D

cruelestgame

Postby cruelestgame » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
sarahh wrote:I would really like to know about RTK soon. It is the only thing I am waiting on. I filled out my part of Needs Access, but my parents' forms will not be done for a few weeks - they are still waiting for some tax info. My mom keeps on telling me I should call my brother's college's roommate's father, who apparently is a trustee at the school and big donor, and ask him for the school to give me money. I told her that was creepy.

Sent in NeedAccess today, and then realized that I left something off of it. FMLLLLLLL

can't you update it pretty easily?

melamine

Postby melamine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm

law_monkey wrote:
melamine wrote:haha - did anyone watch the latest episode of Castle? At the end, Rick Castle makes plans for a fundraiser to fund a scholarship named after Johanna Beckett (Kate Beckett's mother), to give a student at Johanna Beckett's law school (she lived in NYC?) a full ride, if they pursue a career in public interest. Unfortunately, I couldn't find out what law school Johanna Beckett went to, lol.

YES!!!!!! I definitely know what you're talking about!!! You're my new favorite person since no one else I know watches Castle. And I was wondering too haha. :D

haha. I was thinking too - I bet Johanna Castle was an NYU girl, b/c she's too street for Columbia and too smart for the others. lol.

swilensk

Postby swilensk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Agreed. After spending (too much) time on this website, I thought there was going to be a full size pizza box waiting outside my door one of these days. I even warned my housemates not to eat it.

That said- compelling viewbook, I thought.

hotthaichick

Postby hotthaichick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Considering I'm DLS 1/21 and still haven't received my purple envelope... (but a new one is being sent now haha), I don't think I will EVER get anything else from NYU. Sigh...I want my mini pizza box.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 pm

swilensk wrote: I even warned my housemates not to eat it.

soooo funny. once you know what the box looks like and just imagining your housemates seeing it when they saw it after what you told them LOL

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:40 pm

melamine wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

haha. I was thinking too - I bet Johanna Castle was an NYU girl, b/c she's too street for Columbia and too smart for the others. lol.

Well I guess it could've been Fordham/Cardozo too. But for my own happiness I'm going with NYU. :D I also slightly wonder if speculating about where Johanna Beckett's scholarship money went is as sad as wanting to read the IRL versions of Castle's books. But I'm totally doing it anyway! :oops:

That said- compelling viewbook, I thought.

I thought it was nice but not really as informative as other ones I've received.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:

can't you update it pretty easily?

Yeah but I feel like a total dumbass.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Filling out out needaccess now. So annoying.

hotthaichick

Postby hotthaichick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 pm

All of my stuff came in!! I went to the mailroom yesterday to find my purple envelope, "pizza box", and the magazine envelope. The postal service makes no sense to me... but at least I have NYU love now:)

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:18 pm

how come this thread is so dead compared to chicago? lol

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 pm

hotthaichick wrote:All of my stuff came in!! I went to the mailroom yesterday to find my purple envelope, "pizza box", and the magazine envelope. The postal service makes no sense to me... but at least I have NYU love now:)

yay! =D fiiiiinally

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”