In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ChriLa425

Bronze

Re: In at NYU

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:46 am

somewhere wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:except the coat check ladies were really funny cause they were making fun of all the students in Spanish, so I asked for my coat in Spanish :twisted: the looks on their faces were priceless.
Funny how often people act like Spanish is a secret language. Reminds me of a scene from Real Women Have Curves.

(There are several native Spanish speakers on the faculty who might not "look" Latino, including the dean.)
Exactly! He grew up in Argentina!

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:49 am

ChriLa425 wrote:
somewhere wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:except the coat check ladies were really funny cause they were making fun of all the students in Spanish, so I asked for my coat in Spanish :twisted: the looks on their faces were priceless.
Funny how often people act like Spanish is a secret language. Reminds me of a scene from Real Women Have Curves.

(There are several native Spanish speakers on the faculty who might not "look" Latino, including the dean.)
So did Prof. Issacharoff. And there's a third one, too, whose name I forgot. My family is Argentine and one person on my panel for the RTK interview joked that NYU Law has a corner on the Argentine-American legal academic market.

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:50 am

somewhere wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:
somewhere wrote:

So did Prof. Issacharoff. And there's a third one, too, whose name I forgot. My family is Argentine and one person on my panel for the RTK interview joked that NYU Law has a corner on the Argentine-American legal academic market.

hahaha and what a market it is!

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 am

ChriLa425 wrote:
thecilent wrote:
That's awesome.

I'm stalking you and see you speak 3 languages and working on another.. How have you been learning these? Do you take classes? Or just study on own?
Haha nice, I approve of TLS stalking. I grew up speaking English/French, then I took Spanish in college and studied in Mexico. I was learning Portuguese on my own but really only did a few lessons before I got too busy. I´m gonna take an Arabic course this summer though.
yay someone to practice my portuguese with

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:57 am

pixytree wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:
Haha nice, I approve of TLS stalking. I grew up speaking English/French, then I took Spanish in college and studied in Mexico. I was learning Portuguese on my own but really only did a few lessons before I got too busy. I´m gonna take an Arabic course this summer though.
yay someone to practice my portuguese with
oh god, someone to teach portuguese to more like!! I´ll have to take a few more lessons before I get there :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yale2011

New

Post by yale2011 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 pm

somewhere wrote:

soy profesora de espanol si alguien quiere aprender y necesita ayuda!

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:42 pm

mcweanis wrote:
somewhere wrote:

¿Donde? ¿En una secundaria?

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 pm

somewhere wrote:
mcweanis wrote:
somewhere wrote:

¿Donde? ¿En una secundaria?
no, en una escuela primaria. super-adorable!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:43 pm

yale2011 wrote:Has anyone received a decision on their financial aid appeal yet?
Nope. I submitted mine late last week. When did you send yours?

yale2011

New

Post by yale2011 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:40 pm

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Just found that they allow 50 students to take a language course at the College for a small fee ($28) each semester

http://www.law.nyu.edu/recordsandregist ... /index.htm

and free informal classes

http://www.nyu.edu/cas/speaking.freely/

yale2011

New

Post by yale2011 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:58 pm

pixytree wrote:Just found that they allow 50 students to take a language course at the College for a small fee ($28) each semester

$28 per credit hour.

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 am

yale2011 wrote:
pixytree wrote:Just found that they allow 50 students to take a language course at the College for a small fee ($28) each semester

That's not really that great. Other law schools allow students to take classes in other schools for free. Some will even permit them to be counted towards the JD (not a bad deal if you're a 3L with a job lined up).
Yea, that seems needlessly restrictive.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:49 am

re-applicant wrote:
yale2011 wrote:

That's not really that great. Other law schools allow students to take classes in other schools for free. Some will even permit them to be counted towards the JD (not a bad deal if you're a 3L with a job lined up).
Idk, I would find it pretty weird for a foreign language class to count toward a JD. Seems like it would somewhat devalue the degree.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
re-applicant wrote:
yale2011 wrote:

Idk, I would find it pretty weird for a foreign language class to count toward a JD. Seems like it would somewhat devalue the degree.
One of the students at CLS was talking about how people inflated their points at graduation by taking lots of language courses.

Having done 2 years of Arabic in college, I CANNOT IMAGINE trying to do a language intensive while also being in law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

yale2011 wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
yale2011 wrote:Has anyone received a decision on their financial aid appeal yet?
Submitted around two weeks ago. A call last week told me that they would have decisions around mid-April.
I just received the e-mail that they changed my award this morning. I went from zero to $65K. I submitted my appeal on March 21st. So for those of you still waiting you should be hearing back soon.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Also just received my appeal--they raised my award from $0 to $0! Will probably be withdrawing shortly.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:21 pm

calvmpv wrote:
yale2011 wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
Submitted around two weeks ago. A call last week told me that they would have decisions around mid-April.
I just received the e-mail that they changed my award this morning. I went from zero to $65K. I submitted my appeal on March 21st. So for those of you still waiting you should be hearing back soon.
i want 65k, wahhh! can you appeal twice? or would they just hate me?

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:Also just received my appeal--they raised my award from $0 to $0! Will probably be withdrawing shortly.

Ditto. Looks like Penn :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:27 pm

bmore wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:Also just received my appeal--they raised my award from $0 to $0! Will probably be withdrawing shortly.

I'm down to between Penn and UVA, which is turning out to be a way more difficult decision than I thought it would be.

Still happy to have two awesome choices, although NYU would have been amazing. I'm counting on y'all to enjoy it on my behalf :lol:

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:32 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
bmore wrote:

I'm down to between Penn and UVA, which is turning out to be a way more difficult decision than I thought it would be.

Still happy to have two awesome choices, although NYU would have been amazing. I'm counting on y'all to enjoy it on my behalf :lol:
How much money would have made NYU a viable option?

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
bmore wrote:

did u get to visit either? very different cultures, i think. I liked Cville, but loooove Philly. Philly has a bigger market and is close to both NYC and DC. But Wahoos...well, we have more fun.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 pm

RJ127 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
bmore wrote:

How much money would have made NYU a viable option?
Probably anything from $45K up would have put NYU in the discussion, although they would have had to be close to matching Penn ($60K) in order for me to seriously consider it. They're all amazing schools, but $200K+ in loans is tough to swallow, especially given NYC's high COL. I was pretty bummed to get $0 initially from NYU, because I would love to go to law school in NYC. But it's hard to turn down $100K+ in scholarship money at a school (UVA) that would give me roughly the same career prospects in BigLaw as NYU would.

In summary, even though I've all but written off NYU at this point, I'd put them right back in the discussion if a scholarship miraculously popped into my inbox...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”