In at NYU

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chasgoose

Re: In at NYU

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Just got a $25k total Dean's scholarship. It expires 4/18. Pretty excited though as I was already leaning NYU. I guess I will give CLS a chance to match though. The important thing though for you guys here is that they are still giving money!

I also have to remind myself that compared to CLS it's kind of like a $40k scholarship as NYU is about $5k cheaper per year...
Last edited by chasgoose on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Got a $75k(90k if I make less than 15k 2L summer) total Dean's scholarship. Immediately withdrew.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Got a $75k(90k if I make less than 15k 2L summer) total Dean's scholarship. Immediately withdrew.

lol Where you off to?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm

thecilent wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Got a $75k(90k if I make less than 15k 2L summer) total Dean's scholarship. Immediately withdrew.

lol Where you off to?

Harvard most likely but an outside chance of taking a scholarship at berkeley. Still waiting on stanford but that looks like a call that is never coming.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 pm

i'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 pm

mcweanis wrote:

i'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

Well its back in the system so ready that fin aid appeal.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
thecilent wrote:

lol Where you off to?

Harvard most likely but an outside chance of taking a scholarship at berkeley. Still waiting on stanford but that looks like a call that is never coming.

Good luck

dianaw

Postby dianaw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm

sarahh wrote:I am bored at work, so I thought I would write a review too.

I was disappointed by the bankruptcy class that I sat in on - it was terrible. A lot of the students would not answer questions when called on, and the ones that did often got in wrong. It seemed that a lot of them did not study or care. Also, the professor was calling on people from a list, and it seemed he did not know the names of people in the class. The class was not that big, so I was surprised by that. It was only one class, so I do not know how typical what I saw was.

Can anyone else speak about their classroom experience? This kind of worries me.

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm

dianaw wrote:

I was disappointed by the bankruptcy class that I sat in on - it was terrible. A lot of the students would not answer questions when called on, and the ones that did often got in wrong. It seemed that a lot of them did not study or care. Also, the professor was calling on people from a list, and it seemed he did not know the names of people in the class. The class was not that big, so I was surprised by that. It was only one class, so I do not know how typical what I saw was.

Can anyone else speak about their classroom experience? This kind of worries me.

Seems like the opposite of the class I sat in on (Administrative and Regulatory State).

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:53 pm

dianaw wrote:

I sat in on a con law class and thought it was great! The professor had a great sense of humor and definitely DID know (at least some of) his students- he remembered that a student had asked about something before. Several students raised their hands to make contributions voluntarily. Everyone seemed pretty engaged and laughed at the appropriate nerdy law jokes. In general, I was very entertained and impressed.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:54 pm

dianaw wrote:

This was not at all like my experience. I sat in on two classes, one was incredibly lively while the other was mostly just a lecture. However in both classes there were questions asked and discussions about the questions asked by both students and the professor. Overall, my classroom experience was very positive.

al2546

Postby al2546 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 pm

how does one go about appealing fin aid packages?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:48 pm

FAAPS'd - zero dollars, not surprising

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm

dianaw wrote:

This sounds a lot like the copyright class I sat in on during the first ASW.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:
dianaw wrote:

anyone see a common thread here? bankruptcy? copyright? boring corporate stuff?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 pm

mcweanis wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
dianaw wrote:

Haha yeah I definitely think that sticking to the PI/international stuff was the way to go. I sat in on the clinics info session, and Dean Hertz ran part of it like an actual class. It was really interesting and made me super excited for 2L year when we can start doing clinics!!!

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 pm

mcweanis wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
dianaw wrote:

Maybe true, but I have sat in on other IP classes at a few schools and thought they were interesting. I'm sure it depends a lot on the prof, that day's topic, etc. so I'm not too worried about it - just somewhat unimpressed.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Aaaaand...no $$ for me.

Oh well, guess I'll have to make this decision the hard way.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:Aaaaand...no $$ for me.

:( For such a rich school they seem to be quite stingy with their funds outside of the named schollies. It's actually kind of weird.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 pm

law_monkey wrote:

:( For such a rich school they seem to be quite stingy with their funds outside of the named schollies. It's actually kind of weird.

Considering how good the named scholly programs are, its hard to begrudge them saving $$ for finaid and going cheap on the merit aid.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Considering how good the named scholly programs are, its hard to begrudge them saving $$ for finaid and going cheap on the merit aid.

Yeah that's true. I just keep seeing people who are getting great schollies from CLS get a lot less from NYU. It's just kind of interesting how differently the two approach their financial aid process.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:44 am

Off the CLS hold the same day as you and now the exact same merit package from NYU today. :P

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 am

al2546 wrote:how does one go about appealing fin aid packages?

Send Financial Aid and email or call them--they have a formal appeals process that goes through the same FAAPS system. Basically, you'll see a new tab in FAAPS entitled "My Appeal" where you can upload documents and insert a reason for your appeal before submitting it online.

HG2014

Postby HG2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:44 am

Just got a $37,500 ($45,000 with public interest summer) Dean's Award!

Can anyone explain how they calculate Assumed Annual Student Contribution? Is it just $70,866 minus your award? Or does it consider their estimated Stafford Loans? The numbers don't seem to add up...

environmentallaw

Postby environmentallaw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:53 am

HG2014 wrote:Just got a $37,500 ($45,000 with public interest summer) Dean's Award!

Can anyone explain how they calculate Assumed Annual Student Contribution? Is it just $70,866 minus your award? Or does it consider their estimated Stafford Loans? The numbers don't seem to add up...

Congrats! And to answer your question about the Student Contribution - NYU expects every student to contribute at least $1700 per year (the reason given is that NYU believes every student should be responsible for at least part of his/her education). And then based on your assets as detailed in your NeedAccess or FAFSA form (I forget which one), NYU increases your Assumed Annual Student Contribution. I'm not sure if I really agree with the process because it seems like they expect you to spend all your savings on law school... anyway, hope that answers your question!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”