In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dot

Bronze

Re: In at NYU

Post by dot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:08 pm

mcweanis wrote:i want to kick myself so hard for applying in january (missed all of nyus scholly deadlines) that i am actually thinking of withdrawing from all schools, retaking the lsats, and then just applying to NYU and all of its PI scholarships and then top 3 in the fall. i realize this is dumb and i should just be happy with nyu +30k. but the whatifs are killing me! anyone??
Would you be happy in the interim year? If you have something worthwhile going on, I guess it doesn't make a huge difference. But I also think being happy with the options you have on the table is not a bad thing.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:17 pm

neonx wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i havent heard from H Y or S - zipperooo. i will probably just go to nyu with a small scholly, although penn might offer me a big one, because nyu is just better.
If you have faith in yourself, I say go for it. I wouldn't trust anyone else's advice but my own at the end of the day. To be fair, only like 250 applied for RTK.
Apparently it was 250 who got admitted and applied for RTK. So there were even more and they just didn't get accepted to NYU.

And @ dot - I know for a fact that the RTK director contacted the AnBryce people, and I've been getting a gazillion emails from RTK people this morning telling me to choose RTK if I get both. So I think AnBryce definitely would have notified me already if I was getting it because they know I have this other deadline now. Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY excited about RTK and not complaining at all. If anything this just keeps me from having to make a tough decision because I honestly don't know which one I would take. I just really like the AnBryce program and would have liked to keep that option open. If I'm an alternate I likely won't be hearing until after my RTK deadline, so it was basically today or nothing for me.

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:20 pm

dot wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i want to kick myself so hard for applying in january (missed all of nyus scholly deadlines) that i am actually thinking of withdrawing from all schools, retaking the lsats, and then just applying to NYU and all of its PI scholarships and then top 3 in the fall. i realize this is dumb and i should just be happy with nyu +30k. but the whatifs are killing me! anyone??
Would you be happy in the interim year? If you have something worthwhile going on, I guess it doesn't make a huge difference. But I also think being happy with the options you have on the table is not a bad thing.
I agree. You can always point to someone who has it better, but having NYU offer you money puts you in basically the very top tier of law school applicants. You could add a few more points to your score, but until it's 180 there's always going to be others with a higher score, better acceptances/offers, etc. I know it's hard to accept that there are a few people with better options, but just keep in mind how few those people are, especially compared to the masses that would give an arm/leg for what you have. Congrats! :)

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

law_monkey wrote:
neonx wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i havent heard from H Y or S - zipperooo. i will probably just go to nyu with a small scholly, although penn might offer me a big one, because nyu is just better.
If you have faith in yourself, I say go for it. I wouldn't trust anyone else's advice but my own at the end of the day. To be fair, only like 250 applied for RTK.
Apparently it was 250 who got admitted and applied for RTK. So there were even more and they just didn't get accepted to NYU.

And @ dot - I know for a fact that the RTK director contacted the AnBryce people, and I've been getting a gazillion emails from RTK people this morning telling me to choose RTK if I get both. So I think AnBryce definitely would have notified me already if I was getting it because they know I have this other deadline now. Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY excited about RTK and not complaining at all. If anything this just keeps me from having to make a tough decision because I honestly don't know which one I would take. I just really like the AnBryce program and would have liked to keep that option open. If I'm an alternate I likely won't be hearing until after my RTK deadline, so it was basically today or nothing for me.
Ah ok, I'm not too familiar with AnBryce, I was under the impression it was less structured and therefore I never really thought of it as a "program".

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Haha AnBryce just called to let me know that I didn't get it so I can take the Root. Totally ok with that, and I'm SUPER relieved that they called me so I wouldn't be stressing all week! Still going to NYU, and I'm super excited to hang out with all of my Root buddies!!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:29 pm

law_monkey wrote:Haha AnBryce just called to let me know that I didn't get it so I can take the Root. Totally ok with that, and I'm SUPER relieved that they called me so I wouldn't be stressing all week! Still going to NYU, and I'm super excited to hang out with all of my Root buddies!!! :D
ENJOY IT :). Loved all the Root people I met and felt it to be NYU's greatest asset (for me).

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm

I hope I was an asset, dot!

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm

law_monkey wrote:Haha AnBryce just called to let me know that I didn't get it so I can take the Root. Totally ok with that, and I'm SUPER relieved that they called me so I wouldn't be stressing all week! Still going to NYU, and I'm super excited to hang out with all of my Root buddies!!! :D
Aw, well congrats on the great program and having your decision made!!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:36 pm

timmna wrote:
Aw, well congrats on the great program and having your decision made!!
Thanks! Definitely still crossing my fingers for you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rosewood

New

Post by rosewood » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:52 pm

I still haven't heard anything back from NYU. My chances are very weak (3.83/167) but why won't they send the rejection letter? :(

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 pm

neonx wrote:
I was given to understand it was 250 out of the admitted students. So about 1/4 of admitted students who applied to RTK were finalists, and then about 1/3 of the finalists receive it (which is to say, ~8% of the admitted students who go through the trouble of applying for RTK).

So even AFTER you get admitted, and are just competing against other admits, getting the RTK is still numerically (quite a bit) more competitive than getting accepted to NYU in the first place.
Last edited by somewhere on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:55 pm

somewhere wrote:
neonx wrote:
I was given to understand it was 250 out of the admitted students. So about 1/4 of admitted students who applied to RTK were finalists, and then about 1/3 of the finalists receive it (which is to say, ~8% of the admitted students who go through the trouble of applying for RTK).
Yeah it was 250 admitted applicants, 63 finalists, and 20 scholarships. Which, outside of the number of actual scholarships, none of us knew until we were at the reception and they told us how many people had actually applied.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:05 pm

law_monkey wrote:
somewhere wrote:
neonx wrote:
in that case i will just chill happily with my 30k and live vicariously through law monkey!!!
Last edited by mcweanis on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

timmna wrote:
arism87 wrote:I got the AnBryce call and will be going to NYU! :D Good luck everyone!
Congrats!!
+1,000,000 congratulations!

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:18 pm

My FAAPS just updated the date of "final review" status to today, and the little lock icon disappeared on the image. For those of you who have received aid offers and were regularly checking FAAPS, could you tell me if this happened for you and how long thereafter you received the offer? I remember at least one person mentioning a similar sign a few weeks (?) ago.

Thanks! :D

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm

dianaw wrote:
mst wrote:NYU ASW was amazing. I'm psyched about next semester. I'll write up a review or something later if anybody was interested.
I'm interested...
OK here's my review of NYU ASW #2:

Thursday: Weathers not great so I feel bad for all the people visiting the school without being able to appreciate the beauty of the area in the proper light. They have us all head over to Dagastino where there is a nice conference room. They put out a bunch of food and stuff and the building itself was VERY nice. I begin talking with a group of people. TLS comes up in the discussion and somebody makes fun of it. I look the other way as if I don't know what it is. Anyways, the first presentation starts and the roof of the room has retractable cieling windows. They open them up, but I have a feeling it was to show off... one student on the panel commented that she didn't even know they existed. The first panel was basically 3 students and a professor just talking about their experiences a bit... nothing really interesting... mostly just commenting on what makes NYU unique (keywords I remember was that the University as a whole has a different "energy" than what you would find from the other t6 schools... one student said the school being in the village made it a lot more "textured" which made a ton of sense in context...). Then there was a q&a session but for some reason every student had hardball questions (Whats your least favorite aspect of the school?, etc.). But nothing surprising answer wise.

Second session was a "choose your own classroom adventure" but i chose to stay behind for the "MOCK CLASS" on criminal law/corruption which was interesting but whatever. I would have gone to a real class but I was exhausted and couldn't move.

Then they took us on a tour of the village... which was a bit lame because of the cold weather & rain. I had been here before and went back a few days later when it was sunny and I can assure you that the area that NYU is in is unrivaled. Countless bars, restaurants, beautiful streets and views, etc. There was a law school tour as well but I didnt do that as I had done one before. If you'd like me to talk to you more about the facilities let me know or shoot me a PM.

After this there was a student organization and journal fair. Me and my new temporary friends weren't really interested so we grabbed some coffees and went on the law apartment tour instead. We ended up getting lost and knocking on the wrong door but some guy let us walk around his apartment. The view from dag northward was amazing: you have a straight shot view of the village and the empire state building/midtown. The apartments themselves in DAG were small but not that small. I didn't see the mercer apartments but they ended up being like a 5 minute walk. Not a 20 minute walk as the website might lead you to think. Apparently they are MUCH bigger. Dag had a nice rooftop terrace that was being renovated so I can't comment.

After this there was a recent-alumni panel with people from PI, big law, academia, and govt. Not life-changing. After this was a pizza party with plenty of free beer. Me and a group of guys made our best attempt to quickly pre-game for Law Revue and headed down to the auditorium. Law Revue was extremely funny and well-produced... I was shocked at the quality of it to be honest. What I found funniest though was that all the current students were just sitting around the auditorium and law school interior drinking beers from cans as they watched. If there's one thing I can say about the school it's that its students were definitely a fun, relaxed crowd. After the show I went and grabbed some food/drinks at a bar with some admitted students and then made the long trek uptown to where I was staying...

FRIDAY:

I got there a bit late so I missed the faculty breakfast so I can't comment... but the coffee was good. At 9AM the dean spoke and really hit it home how much NYU has improved over the last 20 years and what makes NYU unique (for example, the breadth of programs offered that couldnt be matched by YSC, the clinics, new york, the focus on growth and finding new, evolving areas of the law to build new specialty programs in) I can't really rephrase it. It was just a good speech. Afterwards there were some specialty sessions. I went to a session on the law&business program, which was boring.

Then I went to the 9th floor of Furman (which is probably the most amazing room in New York City) to see a discussion between some of the biggest power-brokers in the world (included Martin Lipton from Wachtell, Scott Hoffman, the managing director/general counsel for Lazard, Rachel Robbins, General Counsel for the international finance corporation, and others). The room itself was basically a 100 person conference room with 270 degree floor-to-ceiling views of NYC...it was indescribably cool and I'm shocked photos haven't shown up on TLS before... way cooler than the hogwarts library. Anyways, these captains of industry began an hour long debate about the financial crisis and it was really amazing to watch them argue amongst themselves. There were like 10 other sessions to go to during this so I cant comment on the Clinic presentation or the Clerkship Q&A.

After this was lunch, student panels, and guided tours. I skipped the tours and panel because I needed a break and explored around the building and neighborhood. Then I ate lunch with a professor which was fun, but again, not eye-opening... the people at my table were very awkward and didn't ask anything the entire time, but the professor was very cool and invited us up to his office to talk more if we'd like. His specialty wasn't very broad though so it was kind of an odd choice to stick with 0L's as none of us could comment on it. I have a feeling the other tables got luckier.

Then there was a session with 4 judges who discussed their decision to attend NYU and their careers, etc. I can't say much because I was running on 3 days with basically no sleep so I was struggling to stay awake. Point of the story was that if you want to be a judge, be in the right place in the right time, don't piss people off, and make some good friends.

After this I went to a session featuring some hiring partners from a few law firms. Not much I can say from this. Informative. But the two both agreed that there are only 2 schools that truly excel in preparing students for OCI (resumes, interview help, prepping, etc.): NYU & an unnamed other one... So it made me feel better. They seemed sincere.

After this I went to a session on financial aid/LRAP. What I will say is this: they've upped the cap to 80,000, and introduced a new thing so that when you use the LRAP in conjunction with IBR (as is required) and you quit PI before the 10 years, they pay off the negative amortization so you aren't sitting on a giant debt bubble... so that was good. The financial aid people were REALLY nice and funny. As was basically everyone who worked for the school. There was a PI panel thing at the same time that I missed.

The day ended with a reception with wine & some vegetable platters. Everyone seemed really great and while I came in worried about whether I made the right decision in attending law school, I now have absolutely NO doubts and I am extremely confident that NYU was the right choice.

Overall: NYU knew what it was doing during asw. They sold the school VERY well and 99% of the people there agreed. Almost half of the kids there had been to CLS earlier in the week (which explains why it kept coming up in discussion) and were choosing between the two... but almost every person I talked to said they were now leaning towards NYU because of the ASWs (quite a few felt that "Because its columbia" was not a good answer to when one kid asked "why columbia?" at the columbia asw...). And the ones that didnt often admitted that it was a name thing. But of course there could be a big self-selection thing going on.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:52 pm

I am bored at work, so I thought I would write a review too.

I was pleasantly surprised by the location. I am not a huge fan of NYC - it seems a little too crowded and dirty - and I hated NYU when I did a college visit. However, the law school is right next to Washington Square Park, which gives it more of a traditional-campus feel, and the area overall did not scream "big city".

I was disappointed by the bankruptcy class that I sat in on - it was terrible. A lot of the students would not answer questions when called on, and the ones that did often got in wrong. It seemed that a lot of them did not study or care. Also, the professor was calling on people from a list, and it seemed he did not know the names of people in the class. The class was not that big, so I was surprised by that. It was only one class, so I do not know how typical what I saw was.

I got misty-eyed when Bryan Stevenson spoke in the PI panel. As someone who in her heart wants to do PI but has thought about taking the safer path, his speech was exactly what I needed to hear.

My brother, who has friends at NYU and Columbia, told me he thought I would fit in better socially at Columbia than NYU because the former is "nerdier". This was something on my mind during the visit. I did not visit Columbia, but overall, I did not find people at NYU to be especially friendly - I think that the people at Michigan were friendlier. However, all of the other Root applicants and current scholars that I met were very friendly, and most had a few years of non-profit work experience. I feel like I could find a good home among the PI crowd. They placed a lot of emphasis on the fact that you do not have to be a Root to be involved with and successful in PI. Ultimately, though, if I do not get a surprise Root offer, I probably will not be going to the school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Can you tell me what Stevenson said....because I think we're thinking the same (the two of us).

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Can you tell me what Stevenson said....because I think we're thinking the same (the two of us).
+1, I heard people raving about him at the Friday reception.

user82189

New

Post by user82189 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:00 am

I got the AnBryce :) So it's definitely NYU for me.

I interviewed in NY and my name is Mike C if anyone remembers me. I know 2 others besides me who got it who interviewed in NY. I really hope they are still making offers, though, because some of the people in my interview group were amazing and haven't heard back :/

Good luck to anyone else waiting to hear back!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 am

user82189 wrote:I got the AnBryce :) So it's definitely NYU for me.

I interviewed in NY and my name is Mike C if anyone remembers me. I know 2 others besides me who got it who interviewed in NY. I really hope they are still making offers, though, because some of the people in my interview group were amazing and haven't heard back :/

Congrats!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 am

Cool dude! We're both from UF btw. I didn't see you at the ASW though. Were there any other UF people there I missed?

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:43 am

mst wrote:

Cool dude! We're both from UF btw. I didn't see you at the ASW though. Were there any other UF people there I missed?
congrats user82189!! I think cawquette was there, too. also, my cousin suggested the following website for gamedays in the city: --LinkRemoved-- yay gators! :D

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:50 am

gatorgirl4life wrote:
congrats user82189!! I think cawquette was there, too. also, my cousin suggested the following website for gamedays in the city: --LinkRemoved-- yay gators! :D
Aaahhh so excited for the football wars that are definitely going down once the season starts! Apparently NYU is big on flag football. I think we might have to reenact our rivalries on the field! :D

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 am

law_monkey wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:
Aaahhh so excited for the football wars that are definitely going down once the season starts! Apparently NYU is big on flag football. I think we might have to reenact our rivalries on the field! :D
omg i'm already excited! i rocked powderpuff in high school...but i've always sucked at/hated softball...it just seems like a really long glorified game of catch...definitely biased me against UVa. :oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”