In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pixytree

Bronze

Re: In at NYU

Post by pixytree » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:05 pm

im going for Mercer as well...one of the newly renovated apts hopefully

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
mst wrote:I'm just doing the law apartments. Unsure if I want Mercer or Dag, but now I'm leaning towards a 1 or 2BR in Dag just because of price. Birdlaw, can I come to the parties or am I gonna be that guy on the floor that everyone doesn't invite?
You're obviously invited to the parties. But in exchange, if you live in Dag your place might become the backpack dropoff spot between classes. I'm hoping to get a place in Mercer.
Haha... "want to put our bags and coats in the coatcheck room?"..."no lets just go piss off mst"

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 pm

mst wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
mst wrote:I'm just doing the law apartments. Unsure if I want Mercer or Dag, but now I'm leaning towards a 1 or 2BR in Dag just because of price. Birdlaw, can I come to the parties or am I gonna be that guy on the floor that everyone doesn't invite?
You're obviously invited to the parties. But in exchange, if you live in Dag your place might become the backpack dropoff spot between classes. I'm hoping to get a place in Mercer.
Haha... "want to put our bags and coats in the coatcheck room?"..."no lets just go piss off mst"
My thoughts exactly :lol:

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Got my scholarship offer. Surprised with it, but will try to up it. Has anyone had any luck upping their amounts yet and what is the process to do so?

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:40 pm

RJ127 wrote:Got my scholarship offer. Surprised with it, but will try to up it. Has anyone had any luck upping their amounts yet and what is the process to do so?
Email or call them--they've got a formal appeals process. No idea if anyone has heard back from it yet though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

RJ127 wrote:Got my scholarship offer. Surprised with it, but will try to up it. Has anyone had any luck upping their amounts yet and what is the process to do so?
Wht did they give you?

Send them an email with your other offers

hoping

Bronze

Post by hoping » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 pm

if we accept a scholarship offer does that mean we must also submit our intent to apply and 600 dollar deposit, or is that due at the reg time?

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:11 pm

hoping wrote:if we accept a scholarship offer does that mean we must also submit our intent to apply and 600 dollar deposit, or is that due at the reg time?
Nah you have to submit your deposit as well. They come with deadlines.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:35 am

hey - anyone who went to ASW the last time. is going worth it, if you're not trying to pick between schools? i looked at the schedule, and it just looks like a lot of stuff advertising the school. i understand why they do that, but is it going to be helpful for finding a place and doing the administrative/logistical stuff? or is this all stuff thats better done on some other weekend that isn't scheduled out the wazoo?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:40 am

melamine wrote:hey - anyone who went to ASW the last time. is going worth it, if you're not trying to pick between schools? i looked at the schedule, and it just looks like a lot of stuff advertising the school. i understand why they do that, but is it going to be helpful for finding a place and doing the administrative/logistical stuff? or is this all stuff thats better done on some other weekend that isn't scheduled out the wazoo?
It's really fun, and it's informative as well. Plus, there are so many people available to ask any question, it can really be beneficial. I would recommend going, and I think most people who have attended would as well.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 am

melamine wrote:hey - anyone who went to ASW the last time. is going worth it, if you're not trying to pick between schools? i looked at the schedule, and it just looks like a lot of stuff advertising the school. i understand why they do that, but is it going to be helpful for finding a place and doing the administrative/logistical stuff? or is this all stuff thats better done on some other weekend that isn't scheduled out the wazoo?
Definitely not necessary at all if you already know you're attending. The only thing would be if you want to check put the student housing, but you can do that anytime (or online)

Edit: lol Birdlaw, no.. There wasn't really anything that necessary imo. But def was fun

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 am

Yeah, is isn't necessary. But most people seem to have a good time. If it conflicts with your schedule, I would just go some other time. Plus, you can meet future classmates!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:47 am

You can also just go to the panels that you might have questions about. And the administrators are easily accessible since they're around all weekend to talk to admitted students. So it might be useful in that way, but nothing to break your back over going for if you already have your mind made up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:55 am

I would have wanted to see some of the panels — especially the PI panel w/ Bryan Stevenson — even if I already knew I was going. Would not need to have gone, but I found everything I saw very informative, and I'm glad I had the chance.

lawis4foolios

New

Post by lawis4foolios » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:05 am

somewhere wrote:Question for the New Yorkers:

Where do you find apartments? Craigslist? I've had good experiences w/ Craigslist in other cities (I'm a Bay Area native), but I've been cautioned against using it for NYC apartments.

A friend sent me an invitation to "Quentin's Friends," saying that it's better, but I haven't signed up yet since you have to pay for it after a free trial and I'm still a few months away from looking for a place. Advice?
Try http://www.nybits.com - it has a listing of all the rental buildings (which are no-fee since it's direct listing by the mgmt companies) as well as condos. only thing with condos - hard to contact actual unit owner so will have to go through brokers who have the listings. Brokers can charge anywhere from 8-12%ish of annual rent upfront and sometimes they will take you to these no fee places and charge you commission. Hope this helps! Good luck w the apt search.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 am

law_monkey wrote:You can also just go to the panels that you might have questions about. And the administrators are easily accessible since they're around all weekend to talk to admitted students. So it might be useful in that way, but nothing to break your back over going for if you already have your mind made up.

cool, cool. thanks for the info guys. i was planning on going later with my brother (he was a native), to help me make living situation decisions - so i didn't see the point of going to an ASW. that, and i kinda have specific things i want to check out in greenwhich village on my own - (not that i'd mind company, but i imagine they'll be going to more group-friendly places)...

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 am

mst wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
BTW the fact that NYU has a coat check room says a lot about their attitude towards their students. It was a weirdly impressive plus for me about NYU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:37 am

except the coat check ladies were really funny cause they were making fun of all the students in Spanish, so I asked for my coat in Spanish :twisted: the looks on their faces were priceless.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 am

ChriLa425 wrote:except the coat check ladies were really funny cause they were making fun of all the students in Spanish, so I asked for my coat in Spanish :twisted: the looks on their faces were priceless.
That's awesome.

I'm stalking you and see you speak 3 languages and working on another.. How have you been learning these? Do you take classes? Or just study on own?

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:47 am

thecilent wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:except the coat check ladies were really funny cause they were making fun of all the students in Spanish, so I asked for my coat in Spanish :twisted: the looks on their faces were priceless.
That's awesome.

I'm stalking you and see you speak 3 languages and working on another.. How have you been learning these? Do you take classes? Or just study on own?
Haha nice, I approve of TLS stalking. I grew up speaking English/French, then I took Spanish in college and studied in Mexico. I was learning Portuguese on my own but really only did a few lessons before I got too busy. I´m gonna take an Arabic course this summer though.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:53 am

That's sweet. I'm so jealous of people that speak multiple languages.. it's like one of my only regrets. I was learning Spanish on my own, got kinda good, but bc I never studied abroad, I just will never get fluent. And now I feel like I'll never have enough time again to learn other languages. Ugh /rant

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 am

lol yeah that´s why i´m taking the course this summer. I looked how busy I´d be at law school and then remembered that my summers I´d be interning. So naturally I panicked and decided it was my last chance to learn a language EVER and signed up. :o

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:01 am

Well good luck with the Arabic!

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks! :D

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:41 am

Funny how often people act like Spanish is a secret language. Reminds me of a scene from Real Women Have Curves.

(There are several native Spanish speakers on the faculty who might not "look" Latino, including the dean.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”