In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HG2014

New

Re: In at NYU

Post by HG2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for your response! One more question: If the assumed annual student contribution is basically cost of attendance - your award, does that mean they won't grant you a Stafford Loan? (even if it estimates an amount for stafford loans?)

Does that make any sense at all?

Edit: Nevermind, called and got the answer- estimated annual student contribution has to do with LRAP, and has nothing to do with loans.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:19 am

HG2014 wrote:Thanks for your response! One more question: If the assumed annual student contribution is basically cost of attendance - your award, does that mean they won't grant you a Stafford Loan? (even if it estimates an amount for stafford loans?)

Edit: Nevermind, called and got the answer- estimated annual student contribution has to do with LRAP, and has nothing to do with loans.
Something like 1700/per year, right?

HG2014

New

Post by HG2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:23 am

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
HG2014 wrote:Thanks for your response! One more question: If the assumed annual student contribution is basically cost of attendance - your award, does that mean they won't grant you a Stafford Loan? (even if it estimates an amount for stafford loans?)

Yes, it's a minimum of 1700/year, but they calculate it based on your current assets. It can be anywhere from 1700 up to full cost of attendance - any awards. Basically if you have savings entering law school, they expect you to spend all of it. I do understand that LRAP should first go to those without savings, but it's kind of a bummer!

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:04 pm

HG2014 wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:

Yes, it's a minimum of 1700/year, but they calculate it based on your current assets. It can be anywhere from 1700 up to full cost of attendance - any awards. Basically if you have savings entering law school, they expect you to spend all of it. I do understand that LRAP should first go to those without savings, but it's kind of a bummer!
I'm not sure they expect you to spend *ALL* of it, just to contribute. I'm not sure about the numbers, but I recall them saying that for a person not to qualify for LRAP they'd have to have a positive net worth of something like $30,000, which doesn't just mean savings of that amount, but savings of $30k MORE than total debt. So if you end up with $210k of debt after three years, and you have $240k of savings, then you wouldn't qualify for LRAP.

At least that's how I understood it. (And it sounded pretty reasonable.)

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:05 pm

mcweanis wrote:anyone see a common thread here? bankruptcy? copyright? boring corporate stuff?
I think bankruptcy is interesting, which is why I sat in on that class. After your first year, don't you choose your classes? Why would you choose classes you are not interested in? Maybe it was just a bunch of 2Ls and 3Ls that have checked out because they have jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Finally got in touch with Deb Ellis. They are offering me $75,000. She said she would research if there were in any classes in my area of interest (I could not find any online) and could put me in touch with an alumni who works in the field. I was impressed with her willingness to help and it is a good amount of money, but I think I am going to withdraw soon.

ETA: She just e-mailed me some information. They are so on the ball there.
Last edited by sarahh on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 pm

sarahh wrote:Finally got in touch with Deb Ellis. They are offering me $75,000. She said she would research if there were in any classes in my area of interest (I could not find any online) and could put me in touch with an alumni who works in the field. I was impressed with her willingness to help and it is a good amount of money, but I think I am going to withdraw soon.
I'd be glad to have your money... I just got her call and she's giving me nothing. Ouch. :cry:
Last edited by forward on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:36 pm

forward wrote:I'd glad have your money... I just got her call and she's giving me nothing. Ouch. :cry:
SO lame of them.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Dany wrote:
forward wrote:I'd glad have your money... I just got her call and she's giving me nothing. Ouch. :cry:
SO lame of them.
Seriously! That sucks :( *hugs*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:04 pm

forward wrote:
sarahh wrote:Finally got in touch with Deb Ellis. They are offering me $75,000. She said she would research if there were in any classes in my area of interest (I could not find any online) and could put me in touch with an alumni who works in the field. I was impressed with her willingness to help and it is a good amount of money, but I think I am going to withdraw soon.
I'd glad have your money... I just got her call and she's giving me nothing. Ouch. :cry:
Sorry. I guess the general consesus that you will get something anyway if you were a finalist was wrong. Who knows how they make their decisions.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Where are you going to go?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:43 pm

thecilent wrote:

Harvard, most likely. Yeah, I know, no need to shed a tear for me. But I am very debt-adverse and RTK would have been nice.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:48 pm

sarahh wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Harvard, most likely. Yeah, I know, no need to shed a tear for me. But I am very debt-adverse and RTK would have been nice.
Wish you woulda got it. Good luckkk

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Here´s my take on the ASW, better late than never!

As far as the people saying that PI/Int´l courses are likely to be the only and/or most interesting ones I strongly disagree. I sat in on a Constitutional Law class because I wanted to see how a big first-year class would be. The professor was incredible but unfortunately I can´t remember her name :oops:
I guess her approach was like the Socratic method in that she really wanted her students to think the issue through on their own, but it was a very gentle Socratic approach. She only asked people that raised their hands and would prompt them rather than calling them out. She knew all of her students by name (which I think is very impressive for a first-year class) and would set up situations using them (ie if Jen and Sarah rob a bank and Sarah shoots Jacob in the face, is that felony murder?) which made it very entertaining. I actually found myself wishing I´d read the cases so I´d get more of what they were talking about (and therefore confirming that I´m a massive nerd). I´m not even really interested in Criminal Law but it was completely fascinating.
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:56 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:So no news on the B&B yet and I´ll just have to wait it out. :(

Here´s my take on the ASW, better late than never!

As far as the people saying that PI/Int´l courses are likely to be the only and/or most interesting ones I strongly disagree. I sat in on a Constitutional Law class because I wanted to see how a big first-year class would be. The professor was incredible but unfortunately I can´t remember her name :oops:
I guess her approach was like the Socratic method in that she really wanted her students to think the issue through on their own, but it was a very gentle Socratic approach. She only asked people that raised their hands and would prompt them rather than calling them out. She knew all of her students by name (which I think is very impressive for a first-year class) and would set up situations using them (ie if Jen and Sarah rob a bank and Sarah shoots Jacob in the face, is that felony murder?) which made it very entertaining. I actually found myself wishing I´d read the cases so I´d get more of what they were talking about (and therefore confirming that I´m a massive nerd). I´m not even really interested in Criminal Law but it was completely fascinating.

The weather sucked on Thursday and Friday but the sun came out in time for the interviews :D

All in all if they would give me the B&B I would die of happiness and definitely attend, and if they give me $0.00 I´ll probably attend anyway.
I didn't get to meet you last week? :( That class does sound SUPER interesting though.

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Noo I actually didnt meet a single TLSer (that I could confirm) so that was possibly the only downside to my NYU visit except for my campus tour which basically went like so: "This is a bar, I really like to come here on Tuesdays, it´s two for one night. This bar is kind of fratty but I like it. This bar is kinda overpriced but good, this bar is [continue for 20 minutes]....oh and this is a residence hall."
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:06 pm

NYU here I come!!
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:07 pm

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Sooooo glad we're going to be classmates!!! :D :D :D

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Just gotta get the fam to visit.
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:25 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:OH MY GOD. posting on TLS is a good luck charm!! I just got the B&B!!!!!! :D

NYU here I come!!
Yay!! Super congrats! I love all the TLSers deciding on NYU lately!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:26 pm

Congratulations! NYU is a great school! <3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:36 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:OH MY GOD. posting on TLS is a good luck charm!! I just got the B&B!!!!!! :D

NYU here I come!!
Congrats!

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone!

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 am

Got confirmed no RTK today but over 100k offer... Still think it was really the program and not the money of the root that made NYU an option for me. Looks like I'll free up this money pretty soon. Probably.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:31 am

dot wrote:Got confirmed no RTK today but over 100k offer... Still think it was really the program and not the money of the root that made NYU an option for me. Looks like I'll free up this money pretty soon. Probably.
:( I'm sorry dot. You have some other really amazing choices though, and I hope you have a great time wherever you end up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”